Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Teams want to host that's not a problem. The problem is that teams don't want to travel for it.

Both.

From the athletic article about it
https://theathletic.com/4974239/2023/10/18/nhl-draft-changes-decentralization?source=user-shared-article

quote:

Among the broader issues the NHL has started to face with the event is a limited number of clubs being willing to serve as its host, which restricts scheduling options because of building availability. That’s because while the draft is typically a boon for the local tourism economy given the large number of visitors it brings to a city, it doesn’t typically come with a windfall for the host team.

So not no one wants to host it, but also probably not a competitive enough process that you need to blackmail the league to get a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Andlauer determined very quickly that the two ways to be someone the NHL head office wants to make happy is to bring in tons of cash, or blackmail.

Well, it's not gonna be the former anytime soon.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
How much do you think Shane Pinto and a future first round pick are to the value of an NHL franchise? Like are we talking 100 million, 200 million? Is Andlauer a huge Pinto fan

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Duck Rodgers posted:

How much do you think Shane Pinto and a future first round pick are to the value of an NHL franchise? Like are we talking 100 million, 200 million? Is Andlauer a huge Pinto fan

If that first round pick is Connor Bedard, I'd put the number in the billions range. Good thing whatever franchise got that guy deserved the money.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Duck Rodgers posted:

Is Andlauer a huge Pinto fan

According to his lawyers, he's half the reason he bought the team

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I greatly doubt a lawsuit wiould actually happen, but he's barely veiling his threat of one in public to push the NHL to the negotiationconcession table

you hate love to see it

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Misanthrope posted:

According to his lawyers, he's half the reason he bought the team

lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dies anyone know if Andlauer finalized the sale and paid the NHL yet

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I’m not sure if they’re ever going to actually lose a pick. Remember that the Devils cheated and were supposed to lose a first round pick over their choice of four years:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/devils-kovalchuk-penalty-reduced-get-first-round-pick-back/amp/

They should have picked 10th that year and the NHL made em pick 30th, so still a punishment along with the fine. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sens elect to not forfeit it for a few years and the NHL modifies it similarly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This time it’s being pushed by Vegas though and they have real strong Karen energy.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Hot Pierre Summer is always followed by the Fall of Dorion

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I’m not sure if they’re ever going to actually lose a pick. Remember that the Devils cheated and were supposed to lose a first round pick over their choice of four years:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/devils-kovalchuk-penalty-reduced-get-first-round-pick-back/amp/

They should have picked 10th that year and the NHL made em pick 30th, so still a punishment along with the fine. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sens elect to not forfeit it for a few years and the NHL modifies it similarly.

Nah same thing happened with the Coyotes and Yzerman and this is like the same scenario except not dealing with trades. New ownership, new GM, and new scouts and the league still made them eat poo poo with taking away the first round pick.

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 1, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baba Oh Really posted:

Nah same thing happened with the Coyotes and Yzerman and this is like the same scenario except not dealing with trades. New ownership, new GM, and new scouts and the league still made them eat poo poo with taking away the first round pick.

You mean Chayka?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

The league not disclosing this is going to be a lawsuit with payout. Unless they did and new guy is Elon levels of too dumb didn't read. Which idk he did buy the Sens....

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Finally, Pierre McGuire's big chance at revenge.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Aphrodite posted:

You mean Chayka?

Yep. I hope that dipshit doesn't get another job in the NHL.

Edit: Actually Chayka was the Yotes GM but Yzerman was the other GM who reported it to the league and wanted the punishment like Vegas in this case.

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 1, 2023

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
WHL just mandated neck guards.
https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/1719840236849799194?t=xPkXzAGRqz27IzBitMA-ag&s=19

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/6_y_QRprQLY?si=T6ccV4529LwVZFmm

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Teams want to host that's not a problem. The problem is that teams don't want to travel for it.

So now the front office teams are complaining about their RTO? They should get as much input as everyone else is getting with return to office plans.

Draft Day from Des Moines when?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If anyone's wondering, they've already been required in the OHL and QMJHL

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Thankfully, Staios is the interim GM.

Give him the job, imo:

• Great record managing junior
  • No expectations for the sens right now
  • He's new and would take a cheap deal
  • Isn't Peter Chiarelli

What's the downside?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sure, Ron Hextall would listen if Andlauer called.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What's the downside?

Not funny/embarassing.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Give him the job, imo:

• Great record managing junior
  • No expectations for the sens right now
  • He's new and would take a cheap deal
  • Isn't Peter Chiarelli

What's the downside?
For him, he's already the President of Hockey Ops so he's either doing two jobs or getting a demotion.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I don't know how law works, but is there a result where the league has to argue, in court, that an org covering up sexual assault and directly and intentionally feeding the perpetrator new victims is less harmful than an org employing a gm who's a loving idiot moron that can't read a contract?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the Ducks are 6-4-0 after 10 games and they looks really fun. what the gently caress was up with Dallas Eakins

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Cooley had his first NHL goal tonight. Not a garbage goal either, got behind the defense, kept his head and beat the goalie. This guy is going to be fun to watch.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bard Maddox posted:

the Ducks are 6-4-0 after 10 games and they looks really fun. what the gently caress was up with Dallas Eakins

Mintyukov is averaging over 19 mins per game, is +4 on a terrible defensive team, and has 7 points in 10 games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres scored 5 goals on 15 shots last night, is that good? Also UPL stopped 38 of 40 including a 2-on-0 in the third period but one of the goals he let in was a real stinker, I wish goaltending made any loving sense lol

Also I don’t wanna laugh at an injury but Hart got injured when Cam Atkinson pushed Brandon Boro and they both crashed into Hart and look it’s kinda sad but also funny when a team injures their own goalie.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also I don’t wanna laugh at an injury but Hart got injured when Cam Atkinson pushed Brandon Boro and they both crashed into Hart and look it’s kinda sad but also funny when a team injures their own goalie.

*sobbing* no it's NOT

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

October Flyers is over, now it's time for November-April Flyers :smith:

edit: Did someone a long while back create a Flyers logo with :smith: as the orange dot or am I imagining that

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 2, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

No, I have a distinct memory of that as well

Now that we are out of the Chuckle gently caress era, I approach the next few seasons with low-to-zero expectations so it can't get that bad, right

Yeah, it can

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Might be able to go to a game or two on the cheap

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

he fuckin sucks OP

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dallas Eakins got them eating right with healthy habits and now some other coach is reaping the rewards.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Scoring a Michigan (or as I call it a Legg) is worth 5 goals now

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shyduck posted:

Might be able to go to a game or two on the cheap

Yeah I'm gonna be back in Philly again in December and the tickets I'm looking at are definitely cheaper than before, so I'll take them being bad for now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

shyduck posted:

October Flyers is over, now it's time for November-April Flyers :smith:

edit: Did someone a long while back create a Flyers logo with :smith: as the orange dot or am I imagining that

someone find it or recreate it so we can make it a smilie

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Arizona Coyotes: Violate NHL Combine rules. Team loses 1st and 2nd round pick.

Ottawa Senators: Botch an NTC. Team loses 1st round pick.

Chicago Blackhawks: Sexual abuse scandal resulting in national headlines and heads rolling around the league and a house-cleaning in Chicago. Team keeps #1 pick and drafts generational talent.

:downsbravo:, NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Flames are loving awful and it rocks