Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I for one can't wait to spend the next two months reading the most fervent "Kershaw to the Rangers" speculation yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am a giant piece of poo poo and I say Ohtani to the Rangers because they're a championship team and let's just be fuckin supervillains now I'm mad with power and emotions

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
is there any chance any owner sees what the rangers did and thinks "we need to open our wallets"?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

is there any chance any owner sees what the rangers did and thinks "we need to open our wallets"?
worked for the Rangers

didn't work for the Padres nor Mets

2 to 1 in favor of billionaires not spending money hrmmm I wonder

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I for one can't wait to spend the next two months reading the most fervent "Kershaw to the Rangers" speculation yet

nah he's a Cub too

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I am a giant piece of poo poo and I say Ohtani to the Rangers because they're a championship team and let's just be fuckin supervillains now I'm mad with power and emotions

See? Now you get it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Intruder posted:

https://www.statista.com/statistics...U.S.%20dollars.

vs.

Someone who is good at economy help me my baseball team is dying

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I love how much room the Twins have to expand that payroll, honestly. This team broke the playoffs curse on barely 150 million? Imagine how much higher the ceiling could be.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
relocate to vegas

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joe Jiménez will return to Atlanta's bullpen for $26m/3y.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
That’s kind of a lot for a guy they never trusted in high leverage

I guess if they’re confident they can fix the rotation on the money they’ve got left, it’s whatever, but it wouldn’t have been at the top of my offseason priority list

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

canyoneer posted:

https://www.statista.com/statistics...U.S.%20dollars.

vs.

Someone who is good at economy help me my baseball team is dying

Spend less on old pitchers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

Spend less on old pitchers
ah yes the Rangers have famously not spent much on old pitchers

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

you also have to be in a position where people want to play for you.

the Mariners tried this with Trevor Story and Marcus Semien and both times the guys they were after were never going to play for them for any dollar amount.

so LAD (already doing it, to some extent), SD (already doing it as hard as they can and failing), LAA (Arte will spend, money's not the source of their problems), NYY (Hal says no), NYM (see SD), and Boston maybe?

The geographic concentration of talent in the US southeast over the past 20 years probably does more for the relative lack of parity in baseball than anything else. If you grew up in the shadow of Atlanta or Charlotte or Jacksonville or DC or DFW or Houston are you going to uproot yourself and maybe your family and fly 2,000+ miles away from everything and everyone you've ever known for a 10-15% raise? or are you going to just sign with the Braves or Nationals or Mets or Orioles or Yankees or Astros or Rangers and stay where you're comfortable and still be an incredibly wealthy athlete?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You also have to be lucky, a couple of games break differently in the last week of the season and the Rangers don't even make the playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the rangers had the second best run diff in the AL so I'd say they got more unlucky than lucky as far as the regular season goes

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

ah yes the Rangers have famously not spent much on old pitchers

I thought we were making fun of the Mets, sorry

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

the rangers had the second best run diff in the AL so I'd say they got more unlucky than lucky as far as the regular season goes

yeah Rangers almost derping their way out of the postseason would have been more them loving up than anything, the anti-Marlins (and to a lesser extent, the DBacks I guess) to balance things out

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No shush don’t speak of luck in October it’s all skill

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When my team wins in October it’s because they are the greatest team ever and overcame incredible bad luck to get there. When other teams win it’s because they’re frauds who got lucky. Everyone knows this.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

you also have to be in a position where people want to play for you.

the Mariners tried this with Trevor Story and Marcus Semien and both times the guys they were after were never going to play for them for any dollar amount.

Both Semien and Story took the biggest offers (aside from Story turning down a bit more from the Rockies but lol). The Mariners need to offer the most money to sign the best guys just like pretty much every other team.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bawfuls posted:

When my team wins in October it’s because they are the greatest team ever and overcame incredible bad luck to get there. When other teams win it’s because they’re frauds who got lucky. Everyone knows this.

This is correct, but only for my team, the Cubs of Chicago. 2016 was the pinnacle of baseballing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe I'm alone in this but every title I'm alive to see makes subsequent losses hurt less.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

sign with the … Orioles … be an incredibly wealthy athlete

Does not compute

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Both Semien and Story took the biggest offers (aside from Story turning down a bit more from the Rockies but lol). The Mariners need to offer the most money to sign the best guys just like pretty much every other team.

the mariners offer was more than what Story signed for with the Red Sox.

by all reporting they didn't get to make a formal offer to Semien, it was shut down as soon as the team engaged with his representation. I think that pretty clearly says "I'm not playing for you."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I was an Ms fan I'd be pretty happy we didn't sign Trevor Story to a six year 140m deal. As an Ms foe I'm inconsolable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redeye Flight posted:

I love how much room the Twins have to expand that payroll, honestly. This team broke the playoffs curse on barely 150 million? Imagine how much higher the ceiling could be.

They've already been doing the propaganda around the media rights stuff being so up in the air possibly meaning a reduced payroll so I don't think it's much higher, unless you were just speaking in a theoretical sense of ceiling compared to teams willing to spend over 200m

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

the mariners offer was more than what Story signed for with the Red Sox.

by all reporting they didn't get to make a formal offer to Semien, it was shut down as soon as the team engaged with his representation. I think that pretty clearly says "I'm not playing for you."

The only reporting for Story I can find is he was offered 125million and would have to move to 3rd.

Semien took by far the largest deal and the Jays, Mariners and Giants all had offers to him.

Edit: That's also the same offseason the Mariners signed Robbie Ray, who took the largest offer!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sports talk is now debating Alonso resigning with the Mets. I know it’s all for engagement but the talk of a 300 m contract seems amazing. Have numbers even been discussed yet? Alonso can’t really value himself that high right?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

300 million for a R/R 1B sounds like a recipe for disaster

My guess is that Alonso will want to reset the 1B market, so above Olson’s deal of 8/168. I think he’ll come in third or fourth, somewhere above Goldy but below Freeman

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The only reporting for Story I can find is he was offered 125million and would have to move to 3rd.

Semien took by far the largest deal and the Jays, Mariners and Giants all had offers to him.

Edit: That's also the same offseason the Mariners signed Robbie Ray, who took the largest offer!

Further, Semien was a Boras client, he took the largest contract cause he's a fuggin SCOTT BORAS CLIENT.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Explosionface posted:

This is correct, but only for my team, the Cubs of Chicago. 2016 was the pinnacle of baseballing.

The 2016 Cubs were the last team with the best record to win the World Series*

*Excluding covid year and teams involved in cheating scandals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The fact that he allegedly threw it at her takes it out of the traditional assumed risk models

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

For Story: https://twitter.com/prospectinsider/status/1507038782087782404 Other Mariners reporters have gestured at a similar offer being on the table. He didn't take it so it doesn't matter but they weren't blown away by another team's offer, Story just didn't want to play for Seattle, probably for understandable reasons.

Seattle didn't get to make a formal offer for Semien and nothing has leaked so I have no idea what it would have been. What has leaked is that it was made clear to the team that he would not be in Seattle and they wouldn't get the chance to make an offer.

All I'm saying is that a player has to want to sign somewhere for a free agent deal to work, there are teams and players who will never reach an agreement and not for money reasons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t even know the World Series had started

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Happy anniversary to the best game ever played in November.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

For Story: https://twitter.com/prospectinsider/status/1507038782087782404 Other Mariners reporters have gestured at a similar offer being on the table. He didn't take it so it doesn't matter but they weren't blown away by another team's offer, Story just didn't want to play for Seattle, probably for understandable reasons.

Seattle didn't get to make a formal offer for Semien and nothing has leaked so I have no idea what it would have been. What has leaked is that it was made clear to the team that he would not be in Seattle and they wouldn't get the chance to make an offer.

All I'm saying is that a player has to want to sign somewhere for a free agent deal to work, there are teams and players who will never reach an agreement and not for money reasons.

Most of the Story stuff not wanting to play in Seattle is he didn't want to play 3B. If the money is roughly the same, then that's why.

Again, all the reporting about Semien is he took the largest offer, no-one else offered 7 years. He's a Boras guy, he was always getting the most money he could.

Forever, Jays fans complained no-one would want to sign here. Lo and behold, the Jays started offering top dollar contracts and they signed a bunch of free agents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1719921130952085805

Yeah, you don't want to do a parade in Dallas

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Depends on who'd be attending

Edit: someone report this post, it's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius