Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And some Galveston cruises stop at a place called Costa Maya, which is pretty literally nothing but a cruise port. There’s a big beach there and a bunch of people trying to sell you stuff (and we got some excellent ceviche there) but it’s pretty skippable. Unless you want to spend some hours on a beach.

We stopped in Costa Maya on a Carnival cruise a couple years ago and the only thing I remember about it was the long-rear end bridge to get back to the boat. And the obligatory dock runners trying to get back to the ship right before we left port lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orty
May 14, 2007

The longer Galveston ones toss in Costa Maya, Falmouth, and George Town. The 4 or 5 day we would be sticking to for what would be our first cruise seem to really like Progreso with the 5 day adding on Cozumel. Also those are Jan / March / April dates.

Of the two, Cozumel at least has a couple excursions listed on the site we would possibly do. Progreso for sure seems to be a meh for us. We tend towards things like cooking or art and crafts demos, museums, tours of historical sites, and some good food. Haven't done anything like a day at an inclusive resort so not sure on that.

I completely missed that one of the Treasure itineraries is 7 days stopping at Tortola, San Juan, and Castaway Cay. The latter two have wife approval, so Tortola is the question on that one. Its in 2025 which puts it up against doing the cruise or our planned 2025 December WDW trip.

Orty fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 26, 2023

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

This is at least the second time in a week that Frozen after has not opened at all, but been marked "temporarily closed" and they give out LL slots for it. This is absolutely nuts. Been a rough day. Guardians took two hours of downtime and we just said the hell with it and went back to the hotel, and then of course it immediately came back up.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Orty posted:

The longer Galveston ones toss in Costa Maya, Falmouth, and George Town. The 4 or 5 day we would be sticking to for what would be our first cruise seem to really like Progreso with the 5 day adding on Cozumel. Also those are Jan / March / April dates.

Of the two, Cozumel at least has a couple excursions listed on the site we would possibly do. Progreso for sure seems to be a meh for us. We tend towards things like cooking or art and crafts demos, museums, tours of historical sites, and some good food. Haven't done anything like a day at an inclusive resort so not sure on that.

I completely missed that one of the Treasure itineraries is 7 days stopping at Tortola, San Juan, and Castaway Cay. The latter two have wife approval, so Tortola is the question on that one. Its in 2025 which puts it up against doing the cruise or our planned 2025 December WDW trip.

I actually like Cozumel. Braksgirl has a great suggestion for there, but there is also a really cool little chocolate factory you can get to. I don't know if they ever contracted with cruise lines, but it's a mile or two from the cruise dock and we had a surprisingly great time at very low expense. From what you just said, you might really enjoy it: https://kaokaochocolatefactorytour.com/

This was back in, I wanna say... 2014? We caught a cab from the dock that cost between $5-$10 for four of us in the group, then did the full tour and even got to make our own packaged hot chocolate. I loaded mine with cayenne (awesome combo). Afterward, we caught another cab and asked the driver where he liked to eat, not a tourist trap, and he took us somewhere that was called El Patio (I think? I lost the business card) and it was sensational. Our party of four ate like royalty for less than $10/person. I even had three beers with my meal.

And as someone who seriously debated not getting off the ship in Tortola, I am glad I did last week. The first time I went there, I was sick as hell (to this day, still convinced I had Covid in Feb. 2020) and didn't do anything and was really underwhelmed with the immediate area around port. Last week, I booked privately with Shore Excursions Group for a cheap day at Cane Bay Beach, and it was so relaxing. My wife, meanwhile, split off and went ziplining and had an amazing time.

However, Tortola's options are basically -- 1) a beach!, 2) ziplines, 3) ATV/car tours. Not much variety that I've found yet. My inlaws traveled with us and ended up staying on the ship and they never felt like they missed anything.

A few ports I won't bother with anymore are Nassau (Atlantis water park is too pricey now), Costa Maya (nothing of interest), and Progresso. Although once I'm ready to book, especially with Caribbean sailings, I scan the news from each port under consideration to make sure something isn't happening that would make it a bad idea to visit.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Doronin posted:

However, Tortola's options are basically -- 1) a beach!, 2) ziplines, 3) ATV/car tours. Not much variety that I've found yet. My inlaws traveled with us and ended up staying on the ship and they never felt like they missed anything.

We're on an upcoming Fantasy sailing in two weeks, and my wife booked the zipline excursion....I'm not sure about that, so I booked 30 minutes on the golf sim just in case.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Doronin posted:

I actually like Cozumel. Braksgirl has a great suggestion for there, but there is also a really cool little chocolate factory you can get to. I don't know if they ever contracted with cruise lines, but it's a mile or two from the cruise dock and we had a surprisingly great time at very low expense. From what you just said, you might really enjoy it: https://kaokaochocolatefactorytour.com/

That would be something we would really enjoy. The DCL site lists another chocolate place that also has making your own alebrije but $120/person, trip to/from included. It sounds like Cozumel might have at least something for us. Progreso does not seem to be a popular stop, but a (slightly quieter) on ship day is not bad either.

Doronin posted:

Tortola Talk

Seems to be a nice place but way more towards the "athletic/adventure" side of things. might be something for us or at least just walking around a bit to check things out. That Tortola / San Juan / Castaway sounds like it would work for if we do a Treasure cruise. 2025 vacation taken up by a Holiday Time WDW trip, so will have to see what itineraries 2026 will bring.

Since we will have that 2025 Holiday WDW trip we are thinking of skipping a WDW trip in 2024. Lets us save a little bit to put towards making the 2025 trip a little more special. A bit of a break from going during Halloween time two years in a row (and 2024 would be making it a third) isn't a bad thing either.

Been eyeballing a 5 Night (Very Merrytime) Galveston Cruise in Dec 2024 as a cheaper vacation option for next year. Does not seem to be a whole lot on Disney cruises out of Galveston other than there being near zero "Disney Magic" till you get on the actual boat. Make sense since the port is shared. A whole hour and a half to bus from IAH to the port as well. Port Canaveral would be preferred but price difference in the cruise, flights, etc we are talking a WDW trip at that point.

Should that make for a halfway decent first ever cruise? Any other nuggets of wisdom to share? We are thinking about trying out a Disney travel agent if we do go for it just to help things out, good idea?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Has anybody done the escape rooms at Universal Orlando? Thinking of doing the BttF one with some friends next month.

One of my friends is deaf and I’ve heard the escape rooms have accessibility glasses but now I can’t find any info about that online. And I’ve seen some comments that the Bourne shows has the glasses…. The website is very unhelpful

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Omne posted:

We're on an upcoming Fantasy sailing in two weeks, and my wife booked the zipline excursion....I'm not sure about that, so I booked 30 minutes on the golf sim just in case.

I'm with you there. I don't do heights where I'm not buckled in a vehicle. Roller coasters, airplanes, helicopters; I'm fine. Anything like ziplines, rope courses, parasailing; I'm not fine. Just one of those things I can't seem to get over.

Orty posted:

That would be something we would really enjoy. The DCL site lists another chocolate place that also has making your own alebrije but $120/person, trip to/from included. It sounds like Cozumel might have at least something for us. Progreso does not seem to be a popular stop, but a (slightly quieter) on ship day is not bad either.

Seems to be a nice place but way more towards the "athletic/adventure" side of things. might be something for us or at least just walking around a bit to check things out. That Tortola / San Juan / Castaway sounds like it would work for if we do a Treasure cruise. 2025 vacation taken up by a Holiday Time WDW trip, so will have to see what itineraries 2026 will bring.

Since we will have that 2025 Holiday WDW trip we are thinking of skipping a WDW trip in 2024. Lets us save a little bit to put towards making the 2025 trip a little more special. A bit of a break from going during Halloween time two years in a row (and 2024 would be making it a third) isn't a bad thing either.

Been eyeballing a 5 Night (Very Merrytime) Galveston Cruise in Dec 2024 as a cheaper vacation option for next year. Does not seem to be a whole lot on Disney cruises out of Galveston other than there being near zero "Disney Magic" till you get on the actual boat. Make sense since the port is shared. A whole hour and a half to bus from IAH to the port as well. Port Canaveral would be preferred but price difference in the cruise, flights, etc we are talking a WDW trip at that point.

Should that make for a halfway decent first ever cruise? Any other nuggets of wisdom to share? We are thinking about trying out a Disney travel agent if we do go for it just to help things out, good idea?

I believe it will still be a great cruise and give you plenty of experience to decide if DCL is something you'll like and continue with long-term. The Magic was obviously the first ship and is officially 25 years old now, but it's maintenance and upkeep is so pristine that you'd never know it. I haven't been on The Magic since 2019, but even then, it was much better shape than ships 10 years newer. The primary difference between it and the subsequent three ships (I'm not comparing the Wish here) is just that it's smaller. That's really it, otherwise, the overall experience is the same level of service and quality you'd get on any other ship. However, I really prefer the smaller two ships because you get a much more personal experience with the ship's crew, if you want to, and there's fewer passengers so it never feels quite as congested in places as you encounter on larger ships.

For reference, my inlaws took us up on joining us for our third DCL sailing, which was their first time on. It was The Wonder (the second ship, my favorite, same class as Magic), and they loved it so much that they've booked 10 or 11 more since then. Some with us, and some on their own.

As for the port, Canaveral is really nice but after the first time you experience it you realize that it's really just another port. Except you get to walk through giant Mickey ears before you walk the ramp into the atrium. The experience really doesn't kick in until you're just about to board and they announce your family name with the "Please join us as we welcome the ORTY family!" Otherwise, it's the same process whether you're in Canaveral, San Diego, Puerto Rico, etc... You even get the same bonus photo opp before you board.

Orty
May 14, 2007

I agree, I think that will be a perfect first time test cruise for us. The Magic sounds like its a great ship and even better to be our first ship. Going out of Galveston for our first should be fine enough for us, the only thing that would matter is the process to get to the ship. Other than a lengthy (90min!) bus ride from the airport hotel it sounds like its not so bad, and a closer hotel may be an option too. The flights in being nonstop, cheaper, and way shorter help too.

All we need to figure out really before we commit is travel agent or no, and what stateroom / deck. Probably wouldn't be using Verandah much other than fresh air if I get motion sick, especially with the price difference. Oceanview is ideal but only has Deck 1/2 with Forward having 5/6/7 but at Verandah prices. Inside probably wont be too bad if 5/6/7 is better than 1/2 but I just worry on the motion sickness.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t think that if a person gets motion sickness they’re going to want to be out on a cabin balcony.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Orty posted:

I agree, I think that will be a perfect first time test cruise for us. The Magic sounds like its a great ship and even better to be our first ship. Going out of Galveston for our first should be fine enough for us, the only thing that would matter is the process to get to the ship. Other than a lengthy (90min!) bus ride from the airport hotel it sounds like its not so bad, and a closer hotel may be an option too. The flights in being nonstop, cheaper, and way shorter help too.

All we need to figure out really before we commit is travel agent or no, and what stateroom / deck. Probably wouldn't be using Verandah much other than fresh air if I get motion sick, especially with the price difference. Oceanview is ideal but only has Deck 1/2 with Forward having 5/6/7 but at Verandah prices. Inside probably wont be too bad if 5/6/7 is better than 1/2 but I just worry on the motion sickness.

I always like using a travel agent because it costs you nothing, and offloads a ton of hassle and minutiae (ie - calling DCL to change stuff). Just have to find one you like working with and trust to do the things you ask. Braksgirl on this thread has quite a fan club, deservedly so, and has experience booking DCL in addition to Parks vacations.

As for interior vs. verandah, if you go interior room, just make sure you get a family deluxe room, so you have the split bathroom setup. You also gain a lot of extra storage. It's a bigger room with a little extra investment, but having two sinks for when you're getting changed and showered is such a great feature.

And if you're concerned at all with motion sickness, I think deck 5-7, midship, is going to be your best bet where you'll feel the least ship movement when you're in bed. On the lower decks, especially 2, you really have to pay close attention to the deck plan on 3. If your room is underneath the wrong thing (the dining room kitchen) then you're going to hear a little more noise.

I don't have any issues with motion sickness, but my mother-in-law does so they always book higher decks, but she says that so far she's never noticed a real difference from front to back of the ship.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t think that if a person gets motion sickness they’re going to want to be out on a cabin balcony.

Being outside and looking out at the sea is pretty much the best thing you can do for seasickness. A cabin balcony is pretty much the best possible thing. Dunno how it is for seasickness in a giant cruise ship, but for a small sailing boat it is an absolute world of difference to be on deck vs. being inside in a cabin.

Being inside makes it a lot worse (as does reading).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes but the option of being out in open air near the middle of an open deck exists.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Yeah the Verandah is literally only useful as a more private spot to get some fresh air and look out at the ocean if I get bad seasickness. Not much value there and can always go to the open decks. Costs nearly the same as the flights to upgrade to it. Ill of course be popping some motion sickness meds as needed to.

Doronin posted:

On the lower decks, especially 2, you really have to pay close attention to the deck plan on 3. If your room is underneath the wrong thing (the dining room kitchen) then you're going to hear a little more noise.

I don't have any issues with motion sickness, but my mother-in-law does so they always book higher decks, but she says that so far she's never noticed a real difference from front to back of the ship.

We were looking at a Deck 2 Ocean View room that seems to be under the port adventures desk and what little reviews seems to be a decently quiet room, and right next to the elevators/stairs. Inside would be nice to get the upper decks and save a little bit of money but it looks like those bigger Deluxe are Forward only for upper decks.

I've seen mid ship getting talked about as best for the motion sickness but both upper and lower getting mentioned as "best". Either way if its mid I think id be a little better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Has anybody done the escape rooms at Universal Orlando? Thinking of doing the BttF one with some friends next month.

One of my friends is deaf and I’ve heard the escape rooms have accessibility glasses but now I can’t find any info about that online. And I’ve seen some comments that the Bourne shows has the glasses…. The website is very unhelpful

We tried when they first opened but they could only accommodate 3 more before closing, and we had a group of 4. What they did explain to us was that they're not traditional escape rooms. It's more like a narrative with puzzles, and you can't fail. If you don't solve the puzzles in time they still move you to the next room, and if you do they have additional ones so that it kind of just takes the same amount of time regardless.

They put a lot of effort into the design and want everyone to see all of it.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

BlueBayou posted:

We did the Jurassic Park one. Between my wife and I we've done probably 200 or so rooms.

I.. enjoyed it. We managed to get a private experience because no one else booked the time. It's not a traditional escape room, it's more like solving puzzles until the next door unlocks. It is pretty immersive. The Jurassic Park one is better for casual fans, I've heard the BttF one leaves casual fans pretty unfulfilled but there's a ton of nods for more serious fans.

We've been meaning to go back for the other one but it just hasn't happened yet. Don't expect an escape room, manage your expectations appropriately and you can have fun. No clue on the accessibility front though maybe give em a call?
code:
You can message us at guestservices@universalorlando.com. Guest
Services Coordinators are available seven days a week from 8:30am –
8 pm and make every e‰ort to respond to messages in 24 to 48 hours.
If you require an immediate response, please call us at 407-224-4233,
option 5 (five).

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The Jurassic Park one sounds fun, but a bunch of us in the group are big ole scaredy cats. Can't have a raptor jumping out. So BttF seems to be the safe call

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

BlueBayou posted:

The Jurassic Park one sounds fun, but a bunch of us in the group are big ole scaredy cats. Can't have a raptor jumping out. So BttF seems to be the safe call

There was definitely a jumpscare in JP. Dunno about BTTF but it wouldn’t fit the theme as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Biff jump scare.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Based on previous chatter, if anyone is trying to boat into Fort Wilderness tonight for Halloween stuff, our neighbor told us they're using extra security and making sure nobody without wilderness tickets will be able to boat in tonight. Just a heads up.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I decided to get tickets to the holiday party for 12/13 since I've never been to one of the event parties before and I can still have a relaxing resort morning/afternoon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

edit: no one cared lol nevermind
I cared, it was interesting. Sorry you felt neglected.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Cedar Fair and Six Flags have announced a merger. Not sure how I feel about it. They'll have a pretty big footprint in regional park ownership.

https://ir.cedarfair.com/news/news-...or/default.aspx

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm cautiously optimistic. The press release headline says it's a "merger of equals" but if you get into the details it is more like Cedar Fair acquiring Six Flags:

The merger does not require approval from CF unit holders who get a 1:1 share exchange. Meanwhile SF shareholders get 58% of a share in the new company. The stock ticker remains Cedar Fair's "FUN".

The CEO and CFO of CF are staying in those roles while the CEO of SF becomes Chairman. Their CFO becomes "Chief Intergration Officer".

The headquarters will be at Carowinds which is where CF had been shifting leadership. And the company "will maintain significant finance and administrative operations in Sandusky, Ohio."

The only thing remaining Six Flags is the name of the new company. Probably because of the better name recognition. Cedar Fair was never a strong national brand name.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well that sounds slightly less bad. I really do not want to see the Cedar Fair parks fall to the level of Six Flags parks, especially my beloved Cedar Point.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Yeah. After reading the full press release, it does seem more like Cedar Point absorbing Six Flags, which is a good sign. This will make it harder for my wife and I to visit all of the Cedar Fair parks in the country, though.

Bonus: they can now rename Top Thrill 2 to something actually cool, like "THE FLASH™: Crisis on Infinite Earths". /s

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Six Flags Great America was such a fuckin bummer

If there was a good ride there, they didn't maintain it or remove it

If you wanted to eat well, get hosed

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Well that sounds slightly less bad. I really do not want to see the Cedar Fair parks fall to the level of Six Flags parks, especially my beloved Cedar Point.

This. I'm honestly shocked I'm first learning about this here, rather than YouTube. The theme park community there will riot. It's only thanks to them that I know Cedar Fair does things a step above Six Flags, so I hope they keep some of those good practices up. I'm still a bit disappointed that they insist upon using the Six Flags name.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I've always said no one despises their guests more than Six Flags. I had an AP for SFOT this year that cost me, I think, $80 for the tier that gives you free parking. Park has a lot of very good rides but the ops are still abysmal. I don't think Six Flags was going to survive another 5-10 years the way most of these parks were operating so this is probably a good way to make sure they survive. That said, there's now some congestion in places where there are former SF parks in proximity to CF parks so I'm wondering if CF offloads a couple to a smaller operator.

PurpleButterfly posted:

This. I'm honestly shocked I'm first learning about this here, rather than YouTube. The theme park community there will riot. It's only thanks to them that I know Cedar Fair does things a step above Six Flags, so I hope they keep some of those good practices up. I'm still a bit disappointed that they insist upon using the Six Flags name.

Six Flags is still a very strong brand among day trippers so it makes a lot of sense to me. Enthusiasts and community members obviously get that SF is down the drain, but most people don't care. I really hope they bring their ops to SF parks though. The SF parks I've been to over the last couple of years have gotten really bad. This also hopefully means a pivot away from dining plans and actually refurbing and replacing rides. If Cedar Fair takes La Vibora out behind the shed and shoots it, I'll be forever grateful.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 2, 2023

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I will never, ever forgive Cedar Fair for Geauga Lake

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Omne posted:

Six Flags really signed Geauga Lake's death warrant when they turned it into the megapark Worlds of Adventure which allowed Cedar Fair to buy it for a pittance due to massive debts and operating loss (outside of locals, who is going to go to Aurora, OH for an amusement park? Not to mention that Aurora doesn't have the infrastructure to support the number of visitors Worlds of Adventure would allow.). Cedar Fair just led it to its death instead of trying to bring it back to life.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 2, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Zero One posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic. The press release headline says it's a "merger of equals" but if you get into the details it is more like Cedar Fair acquiring Six Flags:

The merger does not require approval from CF unit holders who get a 1:1 share exchange. Meanwhile SF shareholders get 58% of a share in the new company. The stock ticker remains Cedar Fair's "FUN".

The CEO and CFO of CF are staying in those roles while the CEO of SF becomes Chairman. Their CFO becomes "Chief Intergration Officer".

The headquarters will be at Carowinds which is where CF had been shifting leadership. And the company "will maintain significant finance and administrative operations in Sandusky, Ohio."

The only thing remaining Six Flags is the name of the new company. Probably because of the better name recognition. Cedar Fair was never a strong national brand name.

Six Flags is really big here in Atlanta and its lone water park White Water. My son worked at WW over the summer and they use the old Great Adventure main building as the administration office. I had to go in a few times for my kid and man, that place closed in the 90s and I have memories there, which is wild that they haven't really moved or done anything inside to use the space any better. All that is to say, you can definitely tell the cracks where no one locally really gives a poo poo, slides will be shut down for no reason, there's whole sections of the lazy river that have been empty for years and very visible to the average park attendees. Six Flags itself is in the same dire shape, the current CEO gave me hope that he wanted to do more upkeep/improvement rather than pushing add on bullshit. Six Flags, imo, could be at a level Knott's if it had the support and let's hope it leads to that. As for me, I pay 7 a month for my family of four to attend any six flags park, parking included, as long as they stay open, I still have a nice day trip for the family that pays for itself every year.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Diabetic posted:

Six Flags is really big here in Atlanta and its lone water park White Water. My son worked at WW over the summer and they use the old Great Adventure main building as the administration office. I had to go in a few times for my kid and man, that place closed in the 90s and I have memories there, which is wild that they haven't really moved or done anything inside to use the space any better. All that is to say, you can definitely tell the cracks where no one locally really gives a poo poo, slides will be shut down for no reason, there's whole sections of the lazy river that have been empty for years and very visible to the average park attendees. Six Flags itself is in the same dire shape, the current CEO gave me hope that he wanted to do more upkeep/improvement rather than pushing add on bullshit. Six Flags, imo, could be at a level Knott's if it had the support and let's hope it leads to that. As for me, I pay 7 a month for my family of four to attend any six flags park, parking included, as long as they stay open, I still have a nice day trip for the family that pays for itself every year.

As someone who grew up with SFOG, it's fallen a long ways. It's still fun, and I like the holiday overlays they do for the winter holidays and Halloween, but it was a really solid park for a local park in the 90s. It's definitely still not doing anywhere near its best but I, too, hope it improves.

That said, my concern about poorly functioning safety equipment on three different rides a few years back was largely met with "thanks for reaching out, we don't care" so. um.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As someone who grew up with SFOG, it's fallen a long ways. It's still fun, and I like the holiday overlays they do for the winter holidays and Halloween, but it was a really solid park for a local park in the 90s. It's definitely still not doing anywhere near its best but I, too, hope it improves.

That said, my concern about poorly functioning safety equipment on three different rides a few years back was largely met with "thanks for reaching out, we don't care" so. um.

I feel like that if the worst case scenario of Six Flags shuts down, I imagine a local historical society would pick it up because of Monster Plantation's history alone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Six Flags Great Adventure is run down, dingy, grasping for money, and is just overall a poor experience. So I hope Cedar Fair can get Six Flags up to its level rather than sinking to theirs.

Omne posted:

I have fond memories of Geauga Lake even though I never went there; my family had season tickets to Sea World and I'd stare across the lake at it when waiting for the nighttime show on the lake to start.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

People think of Cedar Fair by their flagship parks but rest assured their lows are just as low as Six flags. This was a few years back but I found Worlds of Fun in KC to be worse in every way - except maybe food - than SF St. Louis.

That being said, SFSTL hasn’t gotten a “new” adult coaster since 2013, and that was a relocated boomerang; you have to go back to 2007 for actual new construction, and even that was just a copy of a spinning wild mouse. So there’s basically nowhere to go for my home park but up.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Last year, I went back to SFGA for the first time since 2011. I used to love that park, as far as local amusement parks go, but it’s really been allowed to fall apart. A ton of rides are not well maintained and most new additions were just cheap copy paste rides.

Also, their electronic money system was down that day, so you couldn’t buy tickets at the gate and could only enter if you had pre purchased. All concessions were closed, because their dumb system wouldn’t even let them accept cash if the system is down. The only food and drinks available for the whole day were from vending machines, since they ran on an independent billing system.

Boxman posted:

People think of Cedar Fair by their flagship parks but rest assured their lows are just as low as Six flags. This was a few years back but I found Worlds of Fun in KC to be worse in every way - except maybe food - than SF St. Louis.

That being said, SFSTL hasn’t gotten a “new” adult coaster since 2013, and that was a relocated boomerang; you have to go back to 2007 for actual new construction, and even that was just a copy of a spinning wild mouse. So there’s basically nowhere to go for my home park but up.

SFSTL did a rollercoaster marathon after hours to celebrate the addition of the boomerang in the fall of 2013. It involved riding one coaster for 45min, with time between cycles only to change seats. My group got assigned the boomerang as our first coaster and it destroyed me. We rode it 13 times in those 45min, causing me to almost black out. I had concussion symptoms for the next couple months but never bothered to see a doctor about it. Now I am prone to migraines!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Boxman posted:

Dorney Park is another example of a trashy Cedar Fair park. But the highs of their flagship parks are so much higher than any of Six Flags' parks.

Nottherealaborn posted:

SFSTL did a rollercoaster marathon after hours to celebrate the addition of the boomerang in the fall of 2013. It involved riding one coaster for 45min, with time between cycles only to change seats. My group got assigned the boomerang as our first coaster and it destroyed me. We rode it 13 times in those 45min, causing me to almost black out. I had concussion symptoms for the next couple months but never bothered to see a doctor about it. Now I am prone to migraines!

This sounds insane, and even in my heyday of rollercoaster enthusiasm, I would've stayed very far away from it.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Dorney Park is another example of a trashy Cedar Fair park. But the highs of their flagship parks are so much higher than any of Six Flags' parks.

This sounds insane, and even in my heyday of rollercoaster enthusiasm, I would've stayed very far away from it.

It started at 8pm and didn’t finish until like 4-5am. I was long gone by then, since I dropped out on the first coaster. Apparently ~60% of participants made it through every coaster, and were all rewarded with a free season pass for the following year. I can’t believe that many people made it that long tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I once had to* ride Millennium Force about a dozen times in a row. Even though it's mostly a speed/ height ride the repetitive motion eventually got to me and I got nauseous.

*I was an employee and on a cold October day they used us as deadweight to warm up the ride before the park opened. We almost rolled back a few times on the big hill to the island.