Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I commute year round, and it's quite wet for about 8 months out of the year.
I've been using the same pair of Ortliebs since 1999. So, yeah, maybe a bit spendy up front but dollar per mile they're one of the cheapest bits of bike stuff I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

raggedphoto posted:

I once filled 2 Ortlieb panniers with heavy used car parts that I to a shop for repair, I was certain they would tear but they held up just fine. There maybe cheaper/better options but it's hard to argue with their track record.

60lb back of quikrete mortar mix slides right into my ortlieb pannier. never doing that again though

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I bought an Ortlieb waterproof pannier 15 years ago and it gets daily use and still looks pretty good. 10/10 will buy a matching one someday.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I got a North St roll-top pannier in a pretty color, mostly to be a contrarian dork but also it has some velcro inside so added a felt laptop sleeve, and replaced the closure clip with a magnetic fidlock.

Pictured sheltering from a surprise thunderstorm last year.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 24, 2023

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I've had good luck with Seattle sports co panniers if you want something cheaper. Waterproof, easy to get on and off the racks, half the price of ortliebs.

I stepped on a buckle, broke it, and replaced them this year though. No issues with seams or waterproofness after 8? years otherwise.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Decathlon panniers are fine. I've been using my £23 one for 5 years and the waterproofing isn't what it was, but it's still completely intact apart from that. Idk if you can get them in the US.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Soma’s running a sale on Kasai dynamos

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/kasai-dynacoil-d6-hub-6-bolt-disc-2732
100 QR disc is $64 for 28h

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/kasai-dynacoil-rb-hub-rim-brake-2731
$64 for 36h

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/kasai-dynacoil-hub-15mm-thru-axle-2488
$88 for MTB 15mm 32h. Not sure if 110mm though

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I surf in the mornings before I go to work. I need a system that I can lock my work poo poo on my bicycle while I'm in the water. I mainly carry a change of clothes, computer, and a few accessories (phone, sunscreen, water bottle, pack towel, etc) -- about a small backpacks worth of volume. My surfboard also goes on my bicycle, so I have at best, one pannier space and a rear rack. No front rack, no fork-mounted whatever. I have a "typical" gravel geo and a regular, bolt-on rear rack.

I can only take with me something that survives salt water and would fit in the key slot in my wetsuit or leash. Normally that would be my bike lock key.

What should I be looking at? A locking pannier would be nice as it allows me use of the top rack for a wire basket (and my wet wetsuit), but all I can think about right now is bolting on one of those rubbermaid lockable totes to the rear rack, though it's annoying to double-lock and probably not that secure anyway.

Also, is there a heavy-dutyish kickstand that isn't going to wobble over when I strap my surfboard on?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Thanks for the link, I'm going to commit to the conversion. It's tough replacing a nice working wheel (stans tubeless!) but I'm so tired of managing light batteries.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 29, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a system that I can lock my work poo poo on my bicycle while I'm in the water.
What should I be looking at? A locking pannier would be nice as it allows me use of the top rack for a wire basket (and my wet wetsuit), but all I can think about right now is bolting on one of those rubbermaid lockable totes to the rear rack, though it's annoying to double-lock and probably not that secure anyway.
This is an interesting problem. I just googled "locking pannier" and this site came up - this looks sort of ideal but it's a british website: https://velobin.com/product/velobin/

"not that secure" is probably going to be an issue no matter what you decide to go with short of some type of metal contraption (heavy, noisy, expensive). There's all sorts of locking cases available for motorcycles in various materials and price ranges but their shape isn't ideal for bicycles - side panniers will probably strike your heels when you pedal unless you mount them really far back, and top cases usually hinge forward where they will interfere with your saddle, again unless you mount it really far back. Mount it backwards and the key faces the saddle post which isn't ideal. A motorcycle top case mounted sideways would probably work fine but most cheap plastic ones are sort of teardrop shaped and it would probably look a bit goofy. Cheap plastic versions of these type of cases can be had for about €50 in stores, or about half that on the used market where I live. Premium aluminium cases attractive to wealthy dads riding adventure bikes can easily be 10x that price.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 29, 2023

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Researching dynamo lights a bit I'm not sure if they're bright enough. Riding at night I was having trouble being seen by cars until I ran a 1000 lumen light. I see StVZOo limits lights are limited to 205 lumens, which rules out most dynamos for me. Supernova makes a light with that output but only above ~40mph.

Does this rule out dynamo for me or am I missing something?

Supernova's lumen vs speed chart

My light in action

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

GI Joe jobs posted:

Researching dynamo lights a bit I'm not sure if they're bright enough. Riding at night I was having trouble being seen by cars until I ran a 1000 lumen light.

They don't see you because they're not looking in the first place. There's basically nothing you can do to make them see something they don't want to see.

Also the good German-rated ones don't really do lumens, they do lux which measures the effective amount of light on a surface instead of measuring the firehose of light going off to the sides and into the sky. Just point the shaped-beam ones into motorists' eyes instead of at the road and you'll get the same result as your crazy floodlight.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I'm a big baby about commuting in the winter. Never done it before, but I'd like to give it a shot this year. So I'm in Calgary where we have snowy rear end winters and I don't plan to bike to work all through winter but I figure with the right gear I can save a few bus tickets.

So I've picked these tires up. Studded, same measurements as my OEM tires. Should be okay.

The thing is though, the saying in Calgary is that if you don't like the weather, wait an hour! We have pretty extreme melts and chinook winds that make a couple wintry days feel like early fall. How do studded tires generally fare on dry(ish) ground? I'm thinking 2-3 days after a melt, should I be switching back to OEM tires when stuff clears up?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I used to run the 4-row schwalbe version on a 5-mile commute through winter, they were ok on dry days too. Noticeably slower than normal road tires in same size but nowhere near bad enough to bother switching back between snow days.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

IMO if your primary concern is "be seen" lights you want both one aimed at the road and one on your head, so you can point it at side streets. This might be more or less of a big deal depending on what your commute routes look like. I'm riding through neighborhoods so I have to worry about every intersection.

I run a dynamo on my commuter, and supplement with a light on my helmet and a Varia radar/taillight.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 30, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I have rainbow spoke lights for visibility from the sides. I feel like they are a cheap option that will catch any driver who is catchable without causing excess light pollution. Comfort in doing this may vary based on your queerness and the visibility thereof that you’re used to.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have rainbow spoke lights for visibility from the sides. I feel like they are a cheap option that will catch any driver who is catchable without causing excess light pollution. Comfort in doing this may vary based on your queerness and the visibility thereof that you’re used to.

I have reflective tape dotted all around my rims, since I find that when I drive a car in darkness the motion of anything shiny in bike wheels really grabs my attention even if I'm not actively scanning for bikes. Spoke lights are probably great, I just cant be bothered with charging another battery in my daily life. Those spoke lights that are programmable are pretty cool though, I sort of want my bike to look like a ghost chasing a pacman around or something.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GI Joe jobs posted:

Researching dynamo lights a bit I'm not sure if they're bright enough. Riding at night I was having trouble being seen by cars until I ran a 1000 lumen light. I see StVZOo limits lights are limited to 205 lumens, which rules out most dynamos for me. Supernova makes a light with that output but only above ~40mph
I've no idea where that 205 lumens limit comes from, my made-in-bundesrepublik lupine vomits like 2k+ and it's stvzo.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

sweat poteto posted:

I used to run the 4-row schwalbe version on a 5-mile commute through winter, they were ok on dry days too. Noticeably slower than normal road tires in same size but nowhere near bad enough to bother switching back between snow days.

Slow and lumbering is the general feeling I've got so far, so that tracks.

I got them on, and took my bike down to Decathlon to cash in on my free tune up. There was basically nothing wrong with my bike at all, but the tune up was free and I wanted some level of reassurance that I'm good to go for the winter. Dude seems to think so!

The ride there and back was mostly dry with patches of slush, snow, and ice here and there. Mostly I could get around it but one unavoidable bit had me jerking around a little, worried I was gonna fall off. BUT - Decathlon dude had pumped the tires a bit to account for the drier weather, so I figure once it's icier out there and I let a bit of air out + I'm going over more consistent snow/ice instead of random bits here and there that should feel a bit better. Will report back if I die.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Even on studs you’re never close to the level of confidence of even wet pavement. Every spring I surprise myself by actually carrying speed through corners.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yesterday was one of the shittiest commutes I've had. Snowing, high winds, etc. Oh, and no studs yet.

Still better than driving.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Yesterday was one of the shittiest commutes I've had. Snowing, high winds, etc. Oh, and no studs yet.

Still better than driving.
i feel ya, yesterday i spent 1:30h in the single digit C and insane rain. still better than driving.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Just saw a cyclist take the right edge of a lane like a total bitch and get smacked by taxi's side mirror. He had to kick his side panel -- and get into a confrontation -- when he could have been taking the whole lane and never let him try that poo poo.

I stood there and pretended to film it, so the taxi driver didn't dare start an actual fight when he got out to confront him.

Groda fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 1, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Groda posted:

Just saw a cyclist take the right edge of a lane like a total bitch and get smacked by taxi's side mirror. He had to kick his side panel -- and get into a confrontation -- when he could have been taking the whole lane and never let him try that poo poo.

I stood there and pretended to film it, so the taxi driver didn't dare start an actual fight when he got out to confront him.

Answer the important question—Did the side panel turn out alright?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Finally got my 1st puncture after starting bike commuting in the Summer - turns out the factory tyres on my bike have as much puncture resistance as a piece of soft cheese . A *tiny* stone penetrated the tyre by a fraction of a mm and pierced the innertube.

So rather than deal with this again I've ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I don't mind the extra weight, and I like the reflective strip on the tyres - anything that says "Look at me, don't murder me" is a positive !

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I (like many, many other commuters I see around me) ride Marathon Plus too, and they work really well at preventing puncture. They are sometimes difficult to mount and dismount compared to lighter tires so you might find that you need to use some soapy water or similar to get them on there and seat right.
If you enjoy the reflective strip, consider getting some retroreflective tape and decorate your rims and whatever else on your bike too for added visibility.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Cab drivers are pretty universally horrible round here yeah. The guy who honked at me for taking the lane a couple weeks back (then also came out looking for a fight) was one as well.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 2, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

If you enjoy the reflective strip, consider getting some retroreflective tape and decorate your rims and whatever else on your bike too for added visibility.
I really mounting scotchlite reflective spoke sleeves on my wheels (and my kids'), you can even balance an uneven wheel and the snaking motion seems to attract attention quite well.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Invalido posted:

I (like many, many other commuters I see around me) ride Marathon Plus too, and they work really well at preventing puncture. They are sometimes difficult to mount and dismount compared to lighter tires so you might find that you need to use some soapy water or similar to get them on there and seat right.

Getting some of the Pedro's tire levers that are real thick helps. If someone's really struggling they can try to heat them up a bit by leaving them in the sun in summer or near a radiator in winter.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

evil_bunnY posted:

Cab drivers are pretty universally horrible round here yeah. The guy who honked at me for taking the lane a couple weeks back (then also came out looking for a fight) was one as well.

Yeah, I was gonna say! Taking the lane will often aggravate the exact same numbskull drivers who'd try a risky overtake if you were riding by the kerb (especially if you're going slow for whatever reason.) You can't win sometimes!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

A driver got out of his car to fight two cyclists here about a decade ago and got his poo poo kicked in, and the cyclists went to jail because they had a u lock. Great system

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

First full ride to work with the studs and yikes.

It's dry right now, all the ice is avoidable so the studs really aren't doing anything except make a noise and I guess introducing more drag? The ride seemed harder than usual, at any rate, and I definitely lamented switching over so soon about halfway through that ride.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yep studs are poo poo on anything except actual ice. But on ice they're the only thing that'll give you a fighting chance.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Guinness posted:

Yep studs are poo poo on anything except actual ice. But on ice they're the only thing that'll give you a fighting chance.

Studs are great on leaf paste. And that's usually a problem right before it starts freezing in the morning.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I switched to snow tires on the car already but i'm holding off on the commuter bike studs this year until I absolutely have to. They ride like poo poo and I hate them but they're necessary unless I want to drive or take the bus to work and I detest both those alternatives way more.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've fitted my new Marathon Plus tyres without any dramas - the sidewall says 55-85 psi pressure. Any recommendation for the pressure to use ? Just a regular manual hybrid bike.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Groda posted:

When I saw your post about the taxi driver coming out hot, I had one thought: Why didn't you actually record?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Baconroll posted:

I've fitted my new Marathon Plus tyres without any dramas - the sidewall says 55-85 psi pressure. Any recommendation for the pressure to use ? Just a regular manual hybrid bike.

Put your pressure around the middle of that span and adjust up or down according to how it feels is my recommendation. On smooth surfaces higher pressure is faster but lower pressure is smoother, in a nutshell.

With new studded tires, at least one manufacturer (Suomi, which used to be Nokian) recommends that you ride carefully at max pressure for the first few dozens of distance units in order to help the studs bed into the rubber so they don't rip out so easily, and anecdotally I think there's something of value to this break-in procedure.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A driver got out of his car to fight two cyclists here about a decade ago and got his poo poo kicked in, and the cyclists went to jail because they had a u lock. Great system
I already got probed once so imma shut up

Invalido posted:

With new studded tires, at least one manufacturer (Suomi, which used to be Nokian) recommends that you ride carefully at max pressure for the first few dozens of distance units in order to help the studs bed into the rubber so they don't rip out so easily, and anecdotally I think there's something of value to this break-in procedure.
I think schwalbe says the same and they generally ride a bit better than nokians on asphalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Baconroll posted:

The high end of that range is if you're heavy and/or carrying a load. Just try it in the middle and see how it feels

(its going to feel like crap because that's how Marathon Plus feels)