Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if by corners you're talking about the thing where the outside lane would lag behind the inside lane, that has been changed since a long time ago. both lanes will have the same throughput now. and im pretty sure undergrounds dont compress either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
By corners I mean that inserters had a harder time grabbing from one of the sides of a corner I forget which.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Chin Strap posted:

By corners I mean that inserters had a harder time grabbing from one of the sides of a corner I forget which.

I think it was the inside corner (the shorter path) and that has been fixed, along with compression working perfectly without needing the underground trick.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Ok what about inserters sometimes struggling with placing and picking up at underground entrances and exits?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I only vaguely remember that being a thing at some point, I don’t think it’s still around either.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think yellow and burner inserters can struggle picking things off of blue belts. Not sure if that's still a thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a thing with mods that have slower inserters than default (like Py), but I think vanilla inserters are all fast enough to not have issues unless you're really low on power. I haven't played vanilla in a long time though, so I can't be 100%.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I've played this game up to oil a couple times and always burned out because I got screwed by biters.

I turned biters down + rushed flamethrower turrets this time, and I'm about to launch my first rocket if I just let the game run for a few hours. I'll probably play it out later this afternoon because I ran a train line out to inject more copper last night, and finishing that up should expedite stuff significantly.

I definitely implemented my main bus poorly, and about halfway through I realized I needed to balance my draw from belts which has required a lot of kludgy refactoring. Determining what to bus and what to make on each "arm" was awkward, and I probably bussed more than I needed in some parts (e.g. coal and probably be taken off after a while).

But drat, what an incredible game. There's such a step change once you get bots, and the way you play the game shifts so dramatically. I immediately automated bots and roboports so I like to think I scaled up well. Expanding to a train line for bulk movement of copper plates + green circuits was so easy after setting up smelting by hand so many times.

Probably the biggest QoL change was getting to Ctrl+X,Ctrl+V stuff that needed to be shifted one or two units to make room for expanding capacity. Your ability to scale just improves so much

Also realizing I could place radars to remote manage my base was awesome. I ended up just expanding my solar farm entirely by remote anytime I felt I was running a little low on power.

I'm not sure how much I'll keep playing past the rocket, I built a spidertron last night and probably want to build an artillery just for completeness sake. I'll likely finish the science and set it down until the expansion, or build to some meager SPM target over the winter.

I can't recommend enough playing this game past oil (obviously preaching to the choir); it's absolutely a step change in difficulty, but the payoff for following through is so good

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

It's a thing with mods that have slower inserters than default (like Py), but I think vanilla inserters are all fast enough to not have issues unless you're really low on power. I haven't played vanilla in a long time though, so I can't be 100%.
Man makes things a lot easier to not have to worry about any of that. I still like pulling from a belt if I can just so I can see what's happening at a glance though. I guess bottleneck does that for me though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Its a Rolex posted:

I'm not sure how much I'll keep playing past the rocket, I built a spidertron last night and probably want to build an artillery just for completeness sake. I'll likely finish the science and set it down until the expansion, or build to some meager SPM target over the winter.

I can't recommend enough playing this game past oil (obviously preaching to the choir); it's absolutely a step change in difficulty, but the payoff for following through is so good

The achievement challenges are fun. There are overhauls that make everything change. Just starting up vanilla from scratch and trying again and fixing things is fun. Doesn't always have to become a post rocket mega base thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Man makes things a lot easier to not have to worry about any of that. I still like pulling from a belt if I can just so I can see what's happening at a glance though. I guess bottleneck does that for me though.

Oh sorry I meant for on the corners when the object is moving away from the inserter. Undergrounds are no different from pulling from a regular belt - the entire tile is fair game.

Edit: I tried to find a FFF backing this up but I can't find it. I'm fairly sure that's how it works though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 2, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Oh sorry I meant for on the corners when the object is moving away from the inserter. Undergrounds are no different from pulling from a regular belt - the entire tile is fair game.

Edit: I tried to find a FFF backing this up but I can't find it. I'm fairly sure that's how it works though.

Yeah the problem I have is I try to find people that have done demonstrations and they are from some unknown earlier version that did have issues. Guess I could figure out the creative mode items and do it myself.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you're thinking about that old stuff, one thing you should definitely know is that belts auto-compress for like 5 years now. Doesn't matter how you space inserters, if the machine and inserter speed is sufficient they will saturate a belt perfectly.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

If you're thinking about that old stuff, one thing you should definitely know is that belts auto-compress for like 5 years now. Doesn't matter how you space inserters, if the machine and inserter speed is sufficient they will saturate a belt perfectly.

Yep. Been super impressed by the amount of polish since last I played it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think 276 was the FFF talking about the belt polishing? FFF-176 back in 2017 was the one about optimizing the CPU utilization for them, but I don't think that addressed the spacing/packing issues.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I started up a new save on a new world, I'm just about getting my main bus up and running. Game is wonderful, I've missed it, and I've realised how scary powerful muscle memory is. I'm pressing keys to plop items down that I haven't even actually built or assigned to the hotbar yet, it's just my lizard brain kicking in with what it's used to from playing the game years ago.

I'm using nanobots but they kind of suck, does anyone recommend an early bot mod just to help me build up quickly? The beginning is so slow without bots.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Qubee posted:

So I started up a new save on a new world, I'm just about getting my main bus up and running. Game is wonderful, I've missed it, and I've realised how scary powerful muscle memory is. I'm pressing keys to plop items down that I haven't even actually built or assigned to the hotbar yet, it's just my lizard brain kicking in with what it's used to from playing the game years ago.

I'm using nanobots but they kind of suck, does anyone recommend an early bot mod just to help me build up quickly? The beginning is so slow without bots.

I like TinyStart since it just gives you some roboports, solar panels and construction bots.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-383

https://cdn.factorio.com/assets/blog-sync/fff-383-super-force-belts-examples.mp4

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

This is the goddamn coolest poo poo and it's only made better by the tiny angry ghost icon for when the super forced building hotkey is on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SynthesisAlpha posted:

This is the goddamn coolest poo poo and it's only made better by the tiny angry ghost icon for when the super forced building hotkey is on.

I would never have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out. Its a great Icon.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wube Software gives the vibe of being an awesome place to work at. I feel like I messed up during character creation by going down the typical boring cubicle office job, instead of speccing into computers or programming or something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You know what they say. If you find a job doing what you love you'll never have time away from work again.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The 100% speedrun is finally below sub 4:30.
With the new announcement I am getting in the mood to play again, but I feel like I should wait until all those announced things are actually in the game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I'd say if you want to do anything in vanilla, do it now. The changes aren't coming to the base game until the expansion launches, and that that point most people are probably going to play the expansion (which changes the base game a lot) for a while and then the expansion mods.

On the other hand, if you've done everything you want to do in the base game and base game mods, keeping it on the shelf so you are super spiced up for the expansion when it drops is probably a good idea.

M_Gargantua posted:

I would never have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out. Its a great Icon.

Same, I wouldn't have noticed that at least until it's in the game a year from now.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Qubee posted:

Wube Software gives the vibe of being an awesome place to work at. I feel like I messed up during character creation by going down the typical boring cubicle office job, instead of speccing into computers or programming or something.

I don't think I'd like kovarex as my boss. You know, given the whole anti-woke, pro-uncle bob poo poo.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

This is the first FFF in a while I have no reservations about. Looks like a genuinely good collection of ideas.

Meanwhile I've started a new run, and I was doing great despite my bad planning... except I managed to make my bus line up with a giant copper deposit just off screen from the starting revealed area. This is going to be interesting to plan around.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think I'm going to try some achievement runs before 2.0 drops. Maybe not full-on Lazy Bastard or There Is No Spoon, but at least the "build a train in 90 minutes" one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lazy Bastard is surprisingly easy and relaxed if you look up the mandatory first 100 crafts and disable your hand craft hotkeys. Amounted to setting up extra empty assemblers ready to go at a few central points and carrying a stack of assemblers/mods/chest/grabbers, which you usually do anyway.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I did There Is No Spoon on default settings and I don't particularly recommend it. It's doable, and there's plenty of time window, but for most people it's probably more planning ahead than you actually would enjoy.

Lazy Bastard is easy, all it does is slow you down, but being slowed down isn't all that fun. It will get you to start automating literally everything if you haven't made that habit yet, though.

90 minute train is something you will almost get by default if you are an experienced player rushing through the early game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lazy Bastard made me faster overall because hand crafting is often a trap.

Also can't put modules in your hands.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a mod that can have a display on a chest showing how many items are in there? Total count is all I would need because it would just be a single item chest. Some sort of enhanced alt mode.

Also, is there a mod that will show the current out of game time? I would like something to keep me a bit more aware of the hours that just seem to evaporate into nothing when playing this.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's an option in one of the debug/info menus to show system time (near where the option for showing FPS/UPS is, iirc).

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

you could wire some Nixie Tubes to the chest if space allows.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*wiring a bunch of combinators into a speaker to Morse code the quantity in a chest when I'm nearby* a mod for what now?

How much do you want a numerical readout? Babby's first circuits design is a quartile/decile/etc. chest meter which just involves wiring the chest to a string of 4-10 lamps and hard coding them to turn out at certain % of the chest capacity.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I did There Is No Spoon on default settings and I don't particularly recommend it. It's doable, and there's plenty of time window, but for most people it's probably more planning ahead than you actually would enjoy.

Lazy Bastard is easy, all it does is slow you down, but being slowed down isn't all that fun. It will get you to start automating literally everything if you haven't made that habit yet, though.

90 minute train is something you will almost get by default if you are an experienced player rushing through the early game.

I somehow don't have the 90 minute train one, and even if I did, I almost always have mods on. I really want to get these achievements on Steam.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

*wiring a bunch of combinators into a speaker to Morse code the quantity in a chest when I'm nearby* a mod for what now?

How much do you want a numerical readout? Babby's first circuits design is a quartile/decile/etc. chest meter which just involves wiring the chest to a string of 4-10 lamps and hard coding them to turn out at certain % of the chest capacity.

I was hoping for some sort of numeric display panel that can display a signal value at least. But I could at least see how to wire the meter you describe myself at least

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really should finish my Lazy Bastard run. Been awhile but I think I just basically have to wait and it's done.

My rarest achievement is Logistic Network Embargo at 7.9% of players. I don't even know what active provider, buffer, or requester chests are :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chin Strap posted:

I was hoping for some sort of numeric display panel that can display a signal value at least. But I could at least see how to wire the meter you describe myself at least

Majere posted:

you could wire some Nixie Tubes to the chest if space allows.
Direct link https://mods.factorio.com/mod/nixie-tubes

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

The General posted:

I really should finish my Lazy Bastard run. Been awhile but I think I just basically have to wait and it's done.

My rarest achievement is Logistic Network Embargo at 7.9% of players. I don't even know what active provider, buffer, or requester chests are :v:

i specifically didn't research that tech until after i launched the rocket so i could get that achievement. I really wanted requester chests by the end though, did not feel like belting speed modules over to rocket control units