Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tunicate posted:

Wakfu was done in flash but doesn't look like it at all

Yeah but it's a helluva exception proving the rule deal for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dabir posted:

Season 1 Simpsons is jerky and weird looking. You can count the frames of animation for any given line of dialogue on your fingers, and their facial movements are so exaggerated that they look like sonic adventure cutscenes

What was originally supposed to be the first episode of the series (the babysitter one) ended up getting pulled and almost completely reanimated due to how it looked.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Season 7 was such a sweet spot of technical animation. They probably haven't animated a "scene" like this in the last 15 years

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing I mostly care about is how off-putting and distracting it is when the mouths and dialogue don't match up. Was watching one of the early TOH episodes on Halloween and in the intro with Marge talking to the viewer it may as well be a foreign language cartoon dubbed into English for how bad it looks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Season 7 was such a sweet spot of technical animation. They probably haven't animated a "scene" like this in the last 15 years

"Dialogue-driven animated comedy" :negative:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://frinkiac.com/mp4/S05E02/294643/296312.mp4?b64lines=VEhBVCdTIEdPT0QgRUFUSU4nIQ==

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lobok posted:

The thing I mostly care about is how off-putting and distracting it is when the mouths and dialogue don't match up. Was watching one of the early TOH episodes on Halloween and in the intro with Marge talking to the viewer it may as well be a foreign language cartoon dubbed into English for how bad it looks.

If you're talking about TOH2 that's because they just used the animation from the first one and re-edited it with new dialogue

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I think this was a case of them changing a line after the scene had been animated.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah punch-ups. You see them a lot in pre-cancellation Futurama too.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

This is the Shelbyville Homer eating a lemon

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I always think the one dude in the bottom right has a huge goatee before realizing it's the dude below's hair

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Larry Cum Free posted:

This is the Shelbyville Homer eating a lemon

The people near the front of the car don't have legs (the car windows are solid grass green)

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Looks like someone rubbed a fish sandwich on that hat.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I think about the scene where Homer and Barney visit the Duff plant and it’s revealed that Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry all come out of the same pipe.

That one visual gag has essentially justified me never wanting to buy ‘premium’ versions of any consumables because “they all come out of the same pipe”. Sun cream, shower gel, condiments. Whatever.

So thank you Simpsons writers for saving me a literal fortune over the years. Blessings upon ye.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Gasmask posted:

I think about the scene where Homer and Barney visit the Duff plant and it’s revealed that Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry all come out of the same pipe.

That one visual gag has essentially justified me never wanting to buy ‘premium’ versions of any consumables because “they all come out of the same pipe”. Sun cream, shower gel, condiments. Whatever.

So thank you Simpsons writers for saving me a literal fortune over the years. Blessings upon ye.

That same scene also reminds me of how half assed some of the HD crops are of these episodes are given that it wasn't even visible that the 3 pipes were all linked.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Everyone complained about the HD on disney+ cutting off like a handful of jokes, but I never see anyone complain about how we lost all the director commentaries when they killed simpsons world. Those are hilarious and can't be found anywhere else except the fuckin DVDs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Everyone complained about the HD on disney+ cutting off like a handful of jokes, but I never see anyone complain about how we lost all the director commentaries when they killed simpsons world. Those are hilarious and can't be found anywhere else except the fuckin DVDs.

It’s a huge shame that streaming services don’t give a gently caress about any of this stuff.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's a shame. I love those commentary tracks. If Conan was on you knew it would be a banger

Well, except for the "guest" fan contest winner from Mountain of Madness in season 8. That was awkward and unfunny and made the commentary unlistenable

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A reminder that you can turn widescreen off on the Disney Plus options for all old content, including Simpsons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

A reminder that you can turn widescreen off on the Disney Plus options for all old content, including Simpsons.

Did that the minute they added that option. Probably going to go back to dvd rips now that they’re upping the price.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

lmao

:dudsmile:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the guys with conjoined Bart hair spikes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s a huge shame that streaming services don’t give a gently caress about any of this stuff.

If you give a poo poo at all about media preservation pirating poo poo is basically a moral imperative at this point yeah :(

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

He sees you...

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

TheMostFrench posted:

He sees you...

Liver n Onions.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Kitfox88 posted:

If you give a poo poo at all about media preservation pirating poo poo is basically a moral imperative at this point yeah :(
Especially where Disney is concerned. They did awful “restorations” of their own 2D animated films and now the only good-quality transfers of a lot of those movies is on freakin laserdisc

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

The Golden Era version of this would have had the background characters on model, but some of them would have been random unknown townspeople.

The New Simpsons version of this would have had every person a Known, Named Character.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That crowd is a gift that keeps on giving.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

lobsterminator posted:

That crowd is a gift that keeps on giving.

Ourobartos

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The crowd also has a lot more ethnic diversity than modern Springfield.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Modern Simpsons background characters look out of place and nothing like named characters. They always design them closer to how they design celebrity guest characters. I hate that look.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wish they published a book of the evolution of celebrity cameo characters. Show the original concept, all the back and forth notes (verbatim) from the celebrity/agent/whatever, and each of the subsequent proposed designs until it shows the final with a side by side photo of the actual person

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sentient Data posted:

I wish they published a book of the evolution of celebrity cameo characters. Show the original concept, all the back and forth notes (verbatim) from the celebrity/agent/whatever, and each of the subsequent proposed designs until it shows the final with a side by side photo of the actual person

They did a pretty good job with this one imo

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

The Golden Era version of this would have had the background characters on model, but some of them would have been random unknown townspeople.

The New Simpsons version of this would have had every person a Known, Named Character.

Hurricane Neddy's crowd scenes are probably the ideal version, a mix of generics and Waldo'ed supporting characters.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This is my favorite from that episode.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CPColin posted:

They did a pretty good job with this one imo

Well done, well done.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

super sweet best pal posted:

Hurricane Neddy's crowd scenes are probably the ideal version, a mix of generics and Waldo'ed supporting characters.

:yeah:

They look part of the world. Modern Simpsons background characters look like those lovely simpsonsify your family ads you used to see a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is my favorite from that episode.

My eye! I’m not supposed to get Ned Flanders in it!