Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

What are the extra recruiters supposed to do? Drag people off the streets?

Dune buggies and net guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bar Crow posted:

maybe they're gonna start putting them in middle schools in addition to high schools

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Bar Crow posted:

Set up a telegram channel for draft volunteer avoidable and herd the audience into the guys camping the Walmart entrance.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

pay more? esprit d’corp? all impossible in modern America, apparently

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

maybe they should offer more things that soldiers don't actually use, like college money. that way you get more guys but you don't have to pay much more
business loans maybe

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

poisonpill posted:

It's so funny that "why does nobody want to join the army?" is a question that's been pretty easily solved through all of history (pay them more, benefits) but is literally outside the imagination of anyone in power now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frosted Flake posted:

It's so funny that "why does nobody want to join the army?" is a question that's been pretty easily solved through all of history (pay them more, benefits) but is literally outside the imagination of anyone in power now.

because neoliberalism solved the problem on the cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-Wzh78pyg&t=95s

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Frosted Flake posted:

Maybe people have already done it but it feels worth re-examining drones through this lens.

The usual lens has been that of casualty aversion: putting fewer soldiers' lives at risk. I don't think I've ever seen anyone dispute this framing. It makes sense.

But within the framework of class consciousness, I think there's something to be said for how drones are money for Capital, rather than for humans.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This is funny because it actually isn't solved, the volunteer force is in shambles, and they're panicking and diverting people to recruiter school with no notice and all the requirements are dropped

Will there be a draft? Well, the current force structure definitely won't work for any war in which the US military takes sustained casualties. Like, at all. The US Army couldn't fight the Ukraine/Russia war for three months without nervously eyeing the red button.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

poisonpill posted:

If you gave every single person in US active military service $1.2 million cash dollars right now, it would cost about the same as the F-35 program, lol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guess we get to see what happens when you try to do war fascism without any buy-in from the public whatsoever

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.military.com/daily-news...mmediately.html

Just normal things that happen in a well oiled and functioning army.

Imagine having thinks like leave for holidays already planned and you get orders for training immediately and then being completely in the dark to where you have to move for your recruiter job

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Guess we get to see what happens when you try to do war fascism without any buy-in from the public whatsoever

You're going to be begging for jingoistic nationalist war fascism propaganda when Biden rolls out woke scolding liberal war fascism propaganda

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We're gonna have the draft again lmao

Patrolling Gaza makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skooma512 posted:

absolutely no way do we get a real draft again. maybe we’ll get some modern version of debtor’s prison or DUI -> Army diversions but no way are they doing a draft lottery or anything like that

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

poisonpill posted:

the US military would find it a bit easier to recruit if the armed forces were not in the service of an empire that was destroying life on earth

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I had a cousin who got in trouble when he was 19 and the judge gave him the choice between prison or join the army, which is not a thing I thought still existed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Fell Mood posted:

I had a cousin who got in trouble when he was 19 and the judge gave him the choice between prison or join the army, which is not a thing I thought still existed.

Russia pressgangs people like DOO DOO DOO but American pressgangs people like dee dee dee.

Trabisnikof posted:

absolutely no way do we get a real draft again. maybe we’ll get some modern version of debtor’s prison or DUI -> Army diversions but no way are they doing a draft lottery or anything like that

Why not? Who's gonna stop them? The only reasons anybody 2nd Amendments out here is 1. Black people exist grrr 2. Women exist grrr 3. The voices told me. This isn't a democracy, you can pass deeply unpopular legislation and be openly corrupt and no one will ever stop you.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

skooma512 posted:

to have a draft you need to have a society to draft from. all that exists in america is a consumer marketplace

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Centrist Committee posted:

to have a draft you need to have a society to draft from. all that exists in america is a consumer marketplace

There are a million books from 2003-2020 about how PMC solve that problem forever.

Only, you can’t buy loyalty, it turns out, and PMC will turn tail if they actually have to risk their lives and not just brutalize Congolese miners and Iraqi minors.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

Just flood the media like after 9/11 and everyone will oink happily and join. Barring that, use force.

I'd say take away college funding and healthcare but lol they already kinda did.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Love the idea of press ganging recruiters like how are you meant to get people to join up when the people trying to sell them on the idea hate their job and wish they weren't there

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

That's why neoliberalism rules.

Remember, they believe in a post-heroic age where soldiers can't be inspired to do anything particularly risky... like... fighting.

They still want to have globe spanning military power.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Morbus posted:

If you gave every single person in US active military service $1.2 million cash dollars right now, it would cost about the same as the F-35 program, lol.

lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo, that Hamas tank video. Really brings home the difference between a force that's willing to risk their lives and a force that values protecting its soldiers above all else.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Might be kind of good if the US military was once again full of guys who didn't really want to be there. We would at least get some good war movies again.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Russia pressgangs people like DOO DOO DOO but American pressgangs people like dee dee dee.

Why not? Who's gonna stop them? The only reasons anybody 2nd Amendments out here is 1. Black people exist grrr 2. Women exist grrr 3. The voices told me. This isn't a democracy, you can pass deeply unpopular legislation and be openly corrupt and no one will ever stop you.

I know docile sheep americans blah blah but dude zoomers aren't going to accept a draft. They'll be posting mutiny videos on tiktok within hours of being put into units. It won't even have to wait for deployments and casualties, a good half of young americans today would respond to effectively being arrested and press ganged with completely shutting down, there is absolutely no sense of patriotic duty or social responsibility left anywhere but the far right and those guys are just going to volunteer anyway. They're not going to do a draft, they couldn't even enforce a lockdown, they're just going to double down on neoliberal brain and just fail to meet quotas, whine, make excuses and cast partisan blame for whatever policy failure they hamfist into being like hiring some private firm to outsource recruiting for them. If this thread has taught us anything it's that neoliberal governments will refuse at every single turn to address any problem that requires real work or money being handed over without some kind of kickback for-profit enterprise that is definitionally incapable of actually addressing the problem.

It has nothing to do with the extralegal powers available to the state, they are simply ideologically committed to never using the government to do anything but launder money. You can theorycraft a bunch of examples of how they could use the draft to do that sure, but I just don't think it's realistic because they just do not think like that, it's just outside how they have normalized exerting those powers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Holy poo poo, that Hamas tank video. Really brings home the difference between a force that's willing to risk their lives and a force that values protecting its soldiers above all else.

Link?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Check the last few pages of the I/P thread. To paraphrase:

A Hamas guy with a Go-pro, in t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, emerges from a tunnel. Two Israeli tanks are close by. He charges at the tanks while carrying an artillery shell, plants the shell on one of the tanks, runs back to the tunnel (nobody in the tanks has apparently noticed him), picks up an rpg and shoots the artillery shell with it, blowing the tank to smithereens. It's like something out of a computer game..

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Check the last few pages of the I/P thread. To paraphrase:

A Hamas guy with a Go-pro, in t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, emerges from a tunnel. Two Israeli tanks are close by. He charges at the tanks while carrying an artillery shell, plants the shell on one of the tanks, runs back to the tunnel (nobody in the tanks has apparently noticed him), picks up an rpg and shoots the artillery shell with it, blowing the tank to smithereens. It's like something out of a computer game..

argh i just corrected someone about this in that thread (but it's worth doing because it shows how it's even more heroic). he plants the artillery shell (modified), then pulls the pin and runs, then it explodes, then he gets passed the rocket launcher, and fires at the second tank.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Outsource the army to China?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
they'll just wreck south and central america and dangle asylum for service, simple as

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The draft has social implications that are antithetical to neoliberalism (there is a society, society can do things to you, you can do things to society). the US will have mass formations of noncitizen mercenaries long before ever reintroducing the draft imo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We're expecting ww3 but what we'll get is 30 years war, American edition

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

The draft has social implications that are antithetical to neoliberalism (there is a society, society can do things to you, you can do things to society). the US will have mass formations of noncitizen mercenaries long before ever reintroducing the draft imo.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Best Friends posted:

Yeah, better integrating foreign mercs is more on brand for the founding fathers' hardon for Roman stuff. I don't think you can turn contemporary Americans into soldiers and trying to do so would break the country even without any kind of organized resistance to the draft.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The US will lose WW3

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Crow posted:

Worked for Ukraine.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Worked for Ukraine.

US doesn't have walkable streets though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sullat posted:

US doesn't have walkable streets though

Malls, schools, buses, subways.

You'll be eating in McDonald's and suddenly vans pull up. Armed men in uniform herd all the workers and staff into a bus, front line in a week after some cursory training.

You pull out your medical certificate. It's torn up in your face and then you are shoved onto the bus.