Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy vinyl releases from bands I like to throw them some money but the artwork and colored records are cool.

Streaming doesn’t really pay them anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've definitely come across albums where parts of it are available to stream on Apple Music but other parts aren't, so you gotta buy the album or individual tracks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I always delete Apple Music off every new iphone I get because invariably when I connect to my car’s Bluetooth it overtakes the radio and starts playing some poo poo I bought on iTunes in 2008

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Soul Glo posted:

I always delete Apple Music off every new iphone I get because invariably when I connect to my car’s Bluetooth it overtakes the radio and starts playing some poo poo I bought on iTunes in 2008

It’s ok this is a safe space. You can tell us you bought Coldplay viva la vida in 2008.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m subbed to Spotify, Apple Music, and Pandora at the same time and I hate it but each one has failings I need the other to cover for.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Buying their merch goes a long way compared to streaming/purchasing their music.
I doubt it. Custom merch isn’t actually cheap to make, plus there’s shipping and processing. Digital albums cost nothing to make and the middlemen typically take a very small slice so more money should make it to the labels.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Custom merch isn’t actually cheap to make,

Isn't that not true? Isn't it like easier than ever to print shirts?

Vegetable posted:

the middlemen typically take a very small slice so more money should make it to the labels.

Maybe smaller labels but for mass market stuff isn't this also just not true? The current explanation I always hear is Artists make poo poo on album sales and outside of their contract make their money touring.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 2, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

The current explanation I always here is Artists make poo poo on album sales and outside of their contract make their money touring.

That's true but not all album sales are the same. Streaming is the worst, by far. An online album sale is second tier because the distribution service takes a big cut. A physical sale is just a traditional "gently caress the artists over" tier.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s ok this is a safe space. You can tell us you bought Coldplay viva la vida in 2008.

It’s usually like an All Time Low or John Mayer thing so it’s actually probably closer to 2011 but regardless, like, turning off streaming entirely from cell data or WiFi doesn’t do anything. I don’t have any music from Apple Music actually on my phone. It’s still being pulled from their servers in this situation despite me telling the app not to. It’s like the iPhone is an annoying friend pouncing on the AUX cord and forcing this poo poo rear end music at me.

It’s annoying because maybe the car maker’s implementation of CarPlay is to blame, maybe the iPhone is, but my preferences IN THE APP being over-ridden is just bad design on Apple’s part. Deleting the whole rear end music app being the only way to use my phone in my car the way I want to sucks.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I doubt it. Custom merch isn’t actually cheap to make, plus there’s shipping and processing. Digital albums cost nothing to make and the middlemen typically take a very small slice so more money should make it to the labels.

What a wild take. Bands sell merch because it brings in cash. It can be a hassle to make and ship, but they do it because it makes money. You can also sometimes be sneaky and get around the label.

If an artist is signed to a label, their cut of any royalties is likely to be so small that it really doesn't matter whether you stream or buy a digital copy of an album (if they are self-publishing then yes buy from them directly). It likely won't put a dent against your advance anyway, or reach the threshold where the label legally has to pay you out for the year. So it genuinely doesn't matter.

What matters is that you listen to the music, because those metrics can help artists book tours. In fact, streaming can be better in this regard, because listener data is more readily available.

You can book tours off the back of Spotify analytics that show you have x amount of listeners in a specific city. Touring is where you are more likely to earn a bit of cash as a musician.

If you want to support (signed to label) artists, doing so via the infratructure of digital music is effectively pointless whichever route you take. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to buy an album off iTunes but more money getting to artists isn't really a meaningful one, unless the label is artist-owned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's too easy to accidentally start the U2 album when using Airpods and they removed the page to get it off your account.

Vegetable posted:

I doubt it. Custom merch isn’t actually cheap to make, plus there’s shipping and processing.

I mean sure but that's why they sell the shirts for like $40.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: ^^ :argh:

Soul Glo posted:

Little extreme to avoid auto-playing U2.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's too easy to accidentally start the U2 album when using Airpods and they removed the page to get it off your account.

What a debacle that was. Hilarious that they removed the page to opt out.

EDIT: Apparently Apple Support can still remove the album.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I still chuckle at the idea of Steve learning that not everyone would be thrilled to have a U2 album put on their phone.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m subbed to Spotify, Apple Music, and Pandora at the same time and I hate it but each one has failings I need the other to cover for.

What the

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Sometimes I buy albums I really like on Bandcamp, but stream them through Apple Music anyway. I figure it’s only fair that they get the extra € if I like what they’re doing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Creature posted:

Sometimes I buy albums I really like on Bandcamp, but stream them through Apple Music anyway. I figure it’s only fair that they get the extra € if I like what they’re doing.

I’ve done the same, an earlier album closed out the Spotify version by mention she makes pennies from Spotify and other platforms like Bandcamp are better for artist. Bought the album I really like, never listened to it once on Bandcamp and continued streaming it endlessly

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

What a wild take. Bands sell merch because it brings in cash. It can be a hassle to make and ship, but they do it because it makes money. You can also sometimes be sneaky and get around the label.

If an artist is signed to a label, their cut of any royalties is likely to be so small that it really doesn't matter whether you stream or buy a digital copy of an album (if they are self-publishing then yes buy from them directly). It likely won't put a dent against your advance anyway, or reach the threshold where the label legally has to pay you out for the year. So it genuinely doesn't matter.

What matters is that you listen to the music, because those metrics can help artists book tours. In fact, streaming can be better in this regard, because listener data is more readily available.

You can book tours off the back of Spotify analytics that show you have x amount of listeners in a specific city. Touring is where you are more likely to earn a bit of cash as a musician.

If you want to support (signed to label) artists, doing so via the infratructure of digital music is effectively pointless whichever route you take. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to buy an album off iTunes but more money getting to artists isn't really a meaningful one, unless the label is artist-owned.
There’s no guarantee that the artist takes a big cut — or any cut — from the merch. By contrast a digital album purchase is definitely gonna be cheaper than merch and you can guarantee that most of it goes to the label+artist.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

withak posted:

I still chuckle at the idea of Steve learning that not everyone would be thrilled to have a U2 album put on their phone.

Remember the U2 iPod?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If you're into EDM music, an argument could be made to sub for Spotify + Apple Music + Soundcloud (or YouTube Music) subscriptions. Apple Music and Soundcloud have pretty wide range of live DJ sets, playlists, and recordings that you won't ever find on Spotify. Stuff like Boiler Room sets. Spotify has the best discovery algorithm, which is what keeps a lot of people coming back.

Spotify's push into audiobooks & podcasts also turned me off to their platform - I don't really care about the latest anti-covid vaccine podcast they're trying to market to me, and prefer not to see it in my Music app.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm having some issues taking photos with the 15 pro max?

It gets blurry around the outside edges. I assume this is some kind of intentional effect or something, but I hate it, I'm just wondering how to remove it if anyone knows :) thanks.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Taima posted:

It gets blurry around the outside edges. I assume this is some kind of intentional effect or something, but I hate it, I'm just wondering how to remove it if anyone knows :) thanks.

Portrait mode?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got my first bill from AT&T with my wife's ported in number and they're only crediting her $350 for her trade in instead of the full price I'm 99% certain it should be. I assume there isn't any way I can see trade in values from the end of September?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Taima posted:

What lens/focal length? Also post an example and it’ll be much easier to diagnose

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hatty posted:

I buy movies on iTunes still

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I buy lots of movies on iTunes when they are on a sale and it’s something I want to have in my library.

It’s annoying AF when a movie was on some streaming service and it gets pulled for whatever reason

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I buy lots of movies on iTunes when they are on a sale and it’s something I want to have in my library.

It’s annoying AF when a movie was on some streaming service and it gets pulled for whatever reason
If l’m not wrong Amazon has removed ebook purchases from people’s libraries before. It wouldn’t surprise me if Apple has done or at least could do something similar.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vegetable posted:

If l’m not wrong Amazon has removed ebook purchases from people’s libraries before. It wouldn’t surprise me if Apple has done or at least could do something similar.

I know Apple and audible have removed purchases I've made from the store ( :canada: ), but i can still download/view them in my library.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I got my first bill from AT&T with my wife's ported in number and they're only crediting her $350 for her trade in instead of the full price I'm 99% certain it should be. I assume there isn't any way I can see trade in values from the end of September?

You’re gonna have to call ATT and politely ask what the heck happened.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Corb3t posted:

If you're into EDM music, an argument could be made to sub for Spotify + Apple Music + Soundcloud (or YouTube Music) subscriptions. Apple Music and Soundcloud have pretty wide range of live DJ sets, playlists, and recordings that you won't ever find on Spotify. Stuff like Boiler Room sets. Spotify has the best discovery algorithm, which is what keeps a lot of people coming back.

Spotify's push into audiobooks & podcasts also turned me off to their platform - I don't really care about the latest anti-covid vaccine podcast they're trying to market to me, and prefer not to see it in my Music app.

Pandora has artist/genre radio stations that are way better (imo) than Spotify and Apple Music

Apple Music has better sound quality and selection but its radio stations absolutely suck

Spotify is the only one of the three that has a native app on my car’s infotainment system for when my phone’s signal sucks in rural areas (often)

I could probably ditch Apple Music without too much fuss.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Amazon was removing purchased digital content for Infinity Train when HBO was trying to memory hole it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I mean, the case everyone is familiar with where they did this, it was someone selling a well-known book they didn't have the rights to.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've been on Apple music because of the sound quality and the way it bundles with other subscriptions but it sucks in basically every other way.

I discover so much less good new music than when I'm on Spotify, the lack of a spotify connect style feature is horrible (if I have music or a podcast playing from an airplay speaker I might have a chance of controlling it from my phone, but if it's from my computer to wired speakers then forget it), and it still has loads of weird bugs. The fact that it separates your library with the online apple music stuff is counter intuitive and overly fussy when you're navigating songs/artists/albums.

Every time I open it, I have to click through an ad telling me to upgrade to the top teir apple one. If I already have that, I have to click through another ad telling me I'm already a subscriber.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Every time I open it, I have to click through an ad telling me to upgrade to the top teir apple one. If I already have that, I have to click through another ad telling me I'm already a subscriber.

Where does this happen? I've never seen this.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Where does this happen? I've never seen this.

It's a big image that covers the screen, as if you're a new user who hasn't signed up to a subscription yet. Happens every time, and on my ipad too. Apparently its a weird bug with some accounts and the only way to fix it is an incredibly convoluted series of steps that I will never take.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I assume everyone using Apple Music doesn’t have a Mac? I found it truly unusable because almost every time I added an album to my library it would show up duplicated in Music.app on the Mac.

Spotify became unusable when it started auto-playing some random track on startup, inevitably blasting music through the office before my headphones had finished connecting to my phone.

Tidal is good for now, even though I’m increasingly feeling like an out-of-touch old man for what I think are incredibly basic requirements :corsair:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I canceled my Apple Music for about a year or so and when I resubbed I found out my entire library was nuked so that was great. All my playlists and poo poo just gone.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TACD posted:

I assume everyone using Apple Music doesn’t have a Mac? I found it truly unusable because almost every time I added an album to my library it would show up duplicated in Music.app on the Mac.

Spotify became unusable when it started auto-playing some random track on startup, inevitably blasting music through the office before my headphones had finished connecting to my phone.

Tidal is good for now, even though I’m increasingly feeling like an out-of-touch old man for what I think are incredibly basic requirements :corsair:

I use apple music and a mac, works fine for me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use ios music, apple music on a mac, and itunes on windows. It all works and syncs fine for me.

iTunes match even works well because I have a handful of albums that never made it into streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never listen to music on my Mac, so I haven't noticed any issues with it. (My music listening is almost entirely on my phone, and if not there, my AppleTV or a HomePod.)