Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

"Wes Ball"

I'm good.

I’ve heard that name before let me look him up and oooooooooooh nooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is this a YA sequel to the Planet of the Apes trilogy?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So which movie will end with them blowing up the Statue of Liberty? And which one will end with a post credit scene of Heston's spaceship crash landing on the planet?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You can tell that the attention to detail regarding primate mannerisms and communication has gone out the window. IMO the modern trilogy managed to convey that the apes were intelligent but not all that human, which was pretty cool.
Movie looks like poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
FX limited series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAN5uspO_hk

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Love Shogun. Looks pretty cool.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm a gigantic fan of Shogun, both the novel and miniseries.

So I'm not trying to distract from it but our Fall Guy trailer went live today too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7jPnwVGdZ8

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

New post because I legit teared up at Mariko's "I'm ready"

that looks soooo good

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

kiimo posted:

So I'm not trying to distract from it but our Fall Guy trailer went live today too

give it to me

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

kiimo posted:

Was hoping this was a sequel to Free Guy

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

They started shooting this in loving 2021 and didn't lock and finish an episode until this summer lol. A friend of mine was in post on it for over 3 years. He's not complaining about having the work but everyone was going completely mental by the end.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hearing about the costuming and the sets is awesome. They went all out on making it look legit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

whydirt posted:

Was hoping this was a sequel to Free Guy

Very lukewarm on it, tbh. Same vibe as every big middling studio hybrid-comedy of the past decade. I love Blunt and Gosling, but it looked more like Free Guy than Nice Guys to me.

e: The Lost City. That's the sense of humor this reminds me of. From the "charm is as good as humor, right?" school of comedy. Or maybe I'm just grumpy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I’m getting the same vibe, another action comedy where neither the action nor comedy is all that great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I don't care give me Gosling in a comedy adjacent doofus role any day of the week

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There was definitely an effort to show that we have two huge stars in a big ol Hollywood movie.

The problem here though is it's a weird movie to put in a trailer it's hard to convey the story neatly.

but the film is fun and satisfying we've had really positive screenings so far. I'd probably put it on the Mr and Mrs Smith level of "good". I personally love that movie (Mr. and Mrs. Smith I mean) but if someone was like it sucks because this and this and this I wouldn't argue.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 2, 2023

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

I don't care give me Gosling in a comedy adjacent doofus role any day of the week

He's genuinely great at playing useless fuckups, and middling at best at everything else

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Clipperton posted:

He's genuinely great at playing useless fuckups, and middling at best at everything else

Gonna disagree with this for Crazy Stupid Love alone

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
As a rule I try not to read any novels about China or Japan written by white dudes but maybe this rule has led me wrong.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That era of Japan is romanticized a lot, like think Old West. That said the James Clavell novels are pretty beloved even if they contain some historical inconsistencies. I loved Tai Pan too as well as Noble House.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

This looks really good, I’m into it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

Hoping for more Money Train and less Hobbs & Shaw from Leitch this time. Gosling is good and can be fun.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

By the way that stunt in the beginning broke the world record for barrel rolls and they plan on taking the stunt guy that did it to places to brag about it if this strike ever ends

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lmao at casting gosling for his second role as a stunt driver turned unlikely hero

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

That Apes film has two major positive things going for it:

- Apes talking a lot
- Apes in clothes

Otherwise, looks like it maintains the vibe of the previous trilogy, which is a great thing. I'm in.
- Apes together strong

hell yeah, hopefully they don't accidently make it racist

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

lmao at casting gosling for his second role as a stunt driver turned unlikely hero

Also the bad boy who comes back into a former lover’s life (Place Beyond the Pines)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
And also the bug dumb himbo Ken

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bowmore posted:

hell yeah, hopefully they don't accidently make it racist

Yeah I prefer when it's intentional racism

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I am innerested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJgNw9deqtc

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad ayo is in everything now, i like her

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

Gonna disagree with this for Crazy Stupid Love alone

Haven't seen it, was he playing a fuckup and doing it poorly or playing a competent guy and doing it well

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Caught The Sweet East at LFF, and it didn't help that I was really tired and almost falling asleep in the middle but I wrote a few thoughts on it at the time:

quote:

I literally had no idea what was going to happen next at any moment, whether it was Andy Milokanis firing off a gun while investigating Comet Ping Pong's secret basement, or Talia Ryder being rescued by a forest-dwelling jihadi/eurodance cell. I guess I liked it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shogun is very romanticied but is also a remix of a bunch of historical event. Toranaga is like 75% Tokugawa, 25% Nobunaga.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This dropped about half an hour ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSrHIX5a-0

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The Shogun book owns, read it in my teens and it blew my mind at the time because I was not big on books usually but this one captivated me

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Justin Marks seems to be the showrunner on this Shogun adaptation. Looks like the only thing he's really written is the recent live action Jungle Book for disney. Has anyone seen that and can you tell us whether he can do things like, you know, write dialogue or write plots that have some level of cohesion? (Some of these out-of-nowhere showrunners for Amazon and the like really can't)

He also did some story work on Top Gun Maverick. And maybe wrote season two of Counterpart which was a Starz scifi thing?

...oh, and his third (of three) credits is Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li (2009) which has 3% on RT and was described by GiantBomb as "a re-envisioning [of the source material] by people who can't see."

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 3, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lobok posted:

Yeah I prefer when it's intentional racism

Honestly, the most amazing thing about the Asian Saga novels is how racist they're not. James Clavell spent three years in a Japanese POW camp and came home with severe PTSD from his mistreatment. Any pang of hunger could send him into a panic attack where he'd start rooting through dustbins looking for food. He wrote about it in his debut novel King Rat.

Shogun also isn't Clavell's most famous screen credit. That's The Fly (1958) starring Vincent Price. :eng101:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Justin Marks seems to be the showrunner on this Shogun adaptation. Looks like the only thing he's really written is the recent live action Jungle Book for disney. Has anyone seen that and can you tell us whether he can do things like, you know, write dialogue or write plots that have some level of cohesion? (Some of these out-of-nowhere showrunners for Amazon and the like really can't)

He also did some story work on Top Gun Maverick. And maybe wrote season two of Counterpart which was a Starz scifi thing?

...oh, and his third (of three) credits is Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li (2009) which has 3% on RT and was described by GiantBomb as "a re-envisioning [of the source material] by people who can't see."

Seems like the perfect fit for what looks like a really super expensive production. Great stuff! :what:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The Jungle Book remake was the only one of the theatrical remakes that I really liked (the DTV ones by David Lowry were also nice). However it was mostly adlibbed so it doesn’t really indicate his writing skill either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

El Grillo posted:

This is a fantastic show that both ended too early but also somehow ended in a perfectly satisfactorily manner if that makes sense.
https://youtu.be/JRuaNHLp6OU?feature=shared