Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there is no way that their doctrine really calls for armor to be screened by dismounted tank crews, you are having a go at this thread

The tankers would probably drive over and gun down their own infantry if they weren't forced to take turns being the infantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PawParole posted:

Despite basically being a US puppet state since the Ethiopian invasion put the warlords back in charge, Somalia has been the only Arab league member loyal to the three noes of Khartoum.

There was a number of Somali (students?) at the solidarity gathering in Belgrade, this gives me a bit more context to it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sancho Banana posted:

The Knesset was voting on whether or not to allow cops to open fire on protestors with live rounds.

how did that come out?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Israel was also supposed to be a world leader in body armour but apparently they cut corners and gave old flak jackets to the reservists?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that in a conventional war, but I’m deeply curious where all of the money has gone. Also, point blank range in an urban environment is the one time the weight and bulk of plates are worth it.

I was reading that the troops are used to bringing folding camping chairs and poo poo with them on marches and openly lighting fires to cook on, all of which is very funny. They just recreated a Borsht Belt Jewish summer camp in uniform.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

ex post facho posted:

did they rig a remote detonator to trigger the shell, or was that the rpg?

domestically produced RPG-29

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-29

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Speleothing posted:

The tankers would probably drive over and gun down their own infantry if they weren't forced to take turns being the infantry

they probably already did that, that's why they were on weapons lock

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Sancho Banana posted:

The Knesset was voting on whether or not to allow cops to open fire on protestors with live rounds.

yeah but I saw a video saying settlers were shooting at Israeli protestors. guess it must have been a mistake/lie

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Al-Saqr posted:

Israeli Finance Minister: We are facing unprecedented financial losses

:blessed:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

trying to wage a war using JO crystal powered equipment in November is about the level of planning I'd expect from these schmucks

they got it linked to the Final Attack materia

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
they already do shoot protestors. the law is to give them medals for it

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

genericnick posted:

how did that come out?

It got blocked, but that psycho Ben-Gvir still wants to push it through.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Frosted Flake posted:

Israel was also supposed to be a world leader in body armour but apparently they cut corners and gave old flak jackets to the reservists?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that in a conventional war, but I’m deeply curious where all of the money has gone. Also, point blank range in an urban environment is the one time the weight and bulk of plates are worth it.

it's a classic idf move to draft more reserves than you can properly equip then send them out with leftover junk. they did the same thing in Lebanon in 06.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Speleothing posted:

Literally a problem in 1967 and why brigades were reorganized to include both tanks and infantry.

Then, in 1973, the tanks almost always just peeled off and left the infantry behind, and the exhausted and dust choked infantry would be used against positions where the tanks failed to break through, off the march.

So America gave them thousands of M113s for free, problem solved forever, I guess.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/ME_Observer_/status/1720153925414715614

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Skill issue

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

OctaMurk posted:

the fact that we have this camera footage, means this dude got out alive

the idf loving sucks rear end if guys can hide in the bushes, run up to a clearly manned tank, plant a grenade on it and then get out

And this in the bushes, not the bombed out ruins of a city it appears.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

rest in piss tank

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Calibanibal posted:

wow holy poo poo that video of a hamas planting C4 on his jeep and then jumping out right before it crashes into an IDF tank!!!!

hamas is the first force that did a bunch of training in battlefield...and it shows!

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah that poo poo is embarrassing

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

e: nvm

Maya Fey has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Nov 2, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

HallelujahLee posted:

rest in piss tank

piss tank israel

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

fits my needs posted:

crazy poo poo, they still are just driving tanks around with no one outside. are the f35 helmets not working?

They are not stylish

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Maya Fey posted:

unless im mistaken there's another tank right behind the one he sets the charge on and it doesn't do anything. no infantry to be seen. and then he runs back to safety behind a bush??

Looked like he had a tunnel there maybe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the lads are alright

https://twitter.com/shaykhsulaiman/status/1720085351942025483?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Al-Qassam Brigades: We carried out a counterattack in the northwestern axis of the city ⁧‫#غزة‬⁩ , during which we destroyed 6 tanks and two troop carriers.

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1720152473640247789?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

loving hell, that is 2% of their tanks in a single attack

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m deeply curious where all of the money has gone.

Straight in the dumpster. The funds were either horribly mismanaged or straight up embezzled, probably a combination of the two. Reservists have been complaining since the start of the war that they don't have all the equipment they need - body armor, helmets, everything. Big donation centers got set up by civilians all over the country to get soldiers what they need because the military can't do that on its own. poo poo's hosed.

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Nov 2, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But then the Israeli infantry refuses to ever get out of the M113s…

Which was a problem in Lebanon because M113s were never designed to be fought from (thin aluminum armour)…

So the Israelis put literally tonnes of armour and weapons on the M113s which made them slow and unreliable…

Which made them easier targets…

So the Israelis added ERA bricks…

But then the infantry could get out of their M113s…

Which meant they were even more vulnerable in their comically overloaded and mechanically unreliable M113s (still not designed to ever be fought from)…

So the Israelis decided to use the Merkava…

Which didn’t have enough room for an infantry section (and they still refused to get out anyway)…

So they built Namer, a troop carrier using the hull of Merkava…

Which the infantry still refuses to get out of…

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

30.5 Days posted:

maybe I just don't understand real life war, my expectation would be that a lieutenant colonel is not in a position to be shot at generally, but maybe that's just movie brain

Jack O'Neill was a colonel and got shot at all the time by goa'uld

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

lol what a video. Popping out of a hole, hand delivering an explosive to a patrolling tank, boom, and back in the hole. Lmao how do you even fight this? Just the dust kicked up by the tank gave them enough cover to run up on it.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Isn't a battalion like 50 tanks? lol

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Frosted Flake posted:

Which was a problem in Lebanon because M113s were never designed to be fought from (thin aluminum armour)…

So the Israelis put literally tonnes of armour and weapons on the M113s which made them slow and unreliable…

Which meant they were even more vulnerable in their comically overloaded and mechanically unreliable M113s (still not designed to ever be fought from)…

Which didn’t have enough room for an infantry section (and they still refused to get out anyway)…

russkies had it right, you gotta have the guys riding on the top of the tank. then as soon as the shooting starts, or even sooner, they'll want to jump off. not to mention giving you way more eyes for people coming out of spiderholes.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1720156709295956361

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

They're in that in between part of that quote about how the guy couldn't get the infantry to get out of the merkavas until they saw what an rpg did to one, then he couldn't get them to go back into one

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
tbf walking on foot sucks

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

tbf walking on foot sucks

walking ftw

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Honky Mao posted:

Yeah that poo poo is embarrassing

for real very 'difficult' indeed

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

walking ftw

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Red Baron posted:

lmao yeah you can see the one in the back, it even looks like it’s kinda facing the dude but they do nothing

Yeah the idea of this kind of formation is that the tanks can strafe each other with machine guns if they get bogged down by infantry. This requires attentive gunners however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was a genre of American military writing from c. 1990 - 20XX where when making the case for the M2 and Stryker, specifically the decision to ride around with the infantry mounted, either using firing ports or having their heads poking out of the hatches, where the Americans were obsessed with the idea of Panzergrenadiers "fighting from their halftracks" (usually only a single battalion had halftracks, the rest had trucks) and the skill of the IDF fighting mounted.

What I have come to realize is that this is a perfect example of western military writing because it's 1/2 romanticizing the Nazis and wildly exaggerating their success (and amount of mechanization) and 1/2 romanticizing Israel (and not realizing that their infantry being afraid to get out of the bus does not make the bus a war winning weapon).

It was super common until some of the lustre of Stryker began to wear off.