Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

thinking about that body-language woman that joy ann reid had on to dissect why bernie hated women & I'm getting mad all over again 4 years later.

:owned:

It was funny how bad they wanted to call him an anti-semite even though him being Jewish made that accusation untenable, and some of them tried anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
debate club is like the classic example of training people wrong, as a joke, taken too far

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://i.imgur.com/BuJTKIV.mp4 i'm still mad about carville going on msnbc on super tuesday saying that the goal was blocking sanders

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

One thing that might be interesting at some point is comparing the election night 2008 and 2016 threads. I remember posting in both of them early before things settled and then going out around seven/eightish. The vibes both in the threads and out in the world couldn’t have been more different. Like the final shattering of all the depressed desperate hope for Obama people were still clinging to. Just very memorable both of them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Joe Scarborough is a murderer

You know he is because nobody says "that's a lie", they say "that's baseless conspiracy"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

debate club is like the classic example of training people wrong, as a joke, taken too far

it teaches you how to shift facts and narratives to match your preconceived goals and it is very good at teaching that.

it also teaches you how to convince the elite you are better than others and how to justify bending the rules to suit your needs. it is pretty decent at that too.

it isn’t about convincing the lay public, or figuring out the truth, or reinforcing the concept that the truth exists, although I see why people might think it does.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Excelzior posted:

Joe Scarborough is a murderer

:yooge: Psycho Joe!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

nah, there's more money and/or a Supreme Court spot in it for her in staying republican

she is a purely liberal subject: the person who believed the free market poo poo, learned it was not correct through exposure to how it actually worked for upper middle/lower upper class professionals, vs. what they were told, and then attempted to fix it from within the system while still preserving their place within it.

as someone who the system has mostly worked for, she genuinely believes the system is mostly good, it just needs some tweaks so it stops making her feel bad from time to time.

they're a small and shrinking caste, but they do exist, and they're the people who were huge into Warren.

Not in Warren's specific context, no.

She was clearly on the federalist train. 1991 she spoke at the federalist society. But then Clinton won. And in 1995 she moved from Penn to Harvard (PA had 2 republican senators, MA had 2 democrats). Also in 1995, she was asked to advise on the National Bankruptcy Review Commission by a democrat. It was obvious Clinton was going to be reelected, and she was being tagged by conservative dems for federal stuff. But since blue slips still mattered, there was always the risk of a MA dem senator blocking her nomination for anything. That is when she swapped from Rep to independent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the end it turned out that sanders really does hate women. why else would he endorse known rapist joe biden?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

wouldn’t have guessed the first senator to go for a ceasefire would be dick fuckin durbin

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1720094214061703298

Internal polling must be disastrous on this issue.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

how long till that loser walks it back

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
"not me, us" -bernie sanders describing who deserves every bit of pain coming their way for his genocide support

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VitalSigns posted:

It was funny how bad they wanted to call him an anti-semite even though him being Jewish made that accusation untenable, and some of them tried anyway

Lol I remember some guy trying to convince me that if Bernie became president, the survival of the Jewish people was at stake. I guess because he didn’t suck up to Israel enough? It didn’t matter in the end since he’s now supporting Genocide Joe.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

they were ahead of their time, that poo poo is rampant right now

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

https://i.imgur.com/BuJTKIV.mp4 i'm still mad about carville going on msnbc on super tuesday saying that the goal was blocking sanders

What is with everyone dressing like Kevin Smith

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nichael posted:

I have erected a border wall of my Dragon Age bag to solidify my territory in class versus liberals. If the students near me like Israel so much, I should learn from my purported homeland and begin to annex their seats. And in true Israeli fashion, if they threaten to kick my rear end, I'll call in the American neoliberal hegemony (the lib student who inexplicably likes me, and loves guns), to back me up.

I will start by dumping my trash in the seats to the side of me, and then set up a Nintendo Switch in front of me. I will also start loudly snorting my Adderall powder, and deny it to all neighbors, thus cutting off their resources.

wtf is that guy doing so close in front of you? Raises my hackles just seeing such impudence

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

How do you do, fellow working class slob

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in the end it turned out that sanders really does hate women. why else would he endorse known rapist joe biden?

many people are saying this!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Dems are gonna lose some surprising seats that should have been safe because of how badly they've alienated many otherwise reliable Democrat voters by being so pro-genocide

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

"Generally, true believers dominate the primary race. Haley’s logical, pragmatic arguments will be a tough sell with that crowd. She can rail against 'chaos, vendettas and drama,' but those are compliments in the minds of millions of MAGA adherents," Jennifer Rubin writes.

https://twitter.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1720054522750406931?s=20

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that gets me about the "it's only logical and pragmatic to vote for Biden" argument is that, even if you accept the premise that Biden is truly the net lesser evil (which is itself nonsense), the core logic itself fundamentally makes no sense. It's basically saying "not helping Biden = helping Trump." But where do you draw that line? If you choose not to donate $50 to Biden, you are increasing Trump's chances of winning (at least using the same twisted logic as "not voting for Biden helps Trump"). And if you donate $50, you're basically saying that donating $100 is too much to defeat Trump. Hell, the "if you don't donate to Biden you're helping Trump" argument is actually more coherent than the "if you don't vote for him" one, since voting has literally zero chance of accomplishing anything in most places.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

worked for Fetterman

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

looking like poo poo is self care, actually

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

smug jeebus posted:

he does that poo poo all the time. he's outrageously wealthy but he dresses like that for media appearances so he looks less like a dem party elite

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that gets me about the "it's only logical and pragmatic to vote for Biden" argument is that, even if you accept the premise that Biden is truly the net lesser evil (which is itself nonsense), the core logic itself fundamentally makes no sense. It's basically saying "not helping Biden = helping Trump." But where do you draw that line? If you choose not to donate $50 to Biden, you are increasing Trump's chances of winning (at least using the same twisted logic as "not voting for Biden helps Trump"). And if you donate $50, you're basically saying that donating $100 is too much to defeat Trump. Hell, the "if you don't donate to Biden you're helping Trump" argument is actually more coherent than the "if you don't vote for him" one, since voting has literally zero chance of accomplishing anything in most places.

just uno reverse it. tell them that by not helping trump, you're helping biden.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Best Friends posted:

and the “donate to Azov battalion here” thread.

this is goon telephone because there were NO links to donate DIRECTLY to the Azov battalion, there were simply several flimsy cutouts which funneled the money and which due diligence would have caught,

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Substandard posted:

Back in the early 2000s the website had a lot of edgelord libertarians, as did basically the whole internet at the time. People get older and abandon childish things though.

this was me. my first posts in dnd were arguing against smoking bans in workplaces on free market grounds :(

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It also betrays that being a Democrat is about personal identity, not policy. We're a year away from the election. Nothing you say today is binding on what you'll do in a year. Loudly proclaiming that there's no body count that would give you pause on voting Democrat is just about reinforcing your identity. If you actually cared about the underlying policy you'd approach it as a negotiation.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

there were two big goon exoduses that I’ve seen; libertarian and conservatives slinking off in shame after Iraq went bad, and their old posts kept getting hung around their necks (a valid use of goons.xls) and then something pretty similar after Obama got in.

basically people who had staunch, immobile political beliefs that were no longer fun to hold in the new environment, and yet rather than just doing the hard work of saying they were wrong and reevaluating, fled for less upsetting pastures. people who don’t know the value of ten American dollars.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

this is goon telephone because there were NO links to donate DIRECTLY to the Azov battalion, there were simply several flimsy cutouts which funneled the money and which due diligence would have caught,

"Listen, you can't just label a country as fascist just because they've employed an all-nazi national guard unit which has carried out ethnic cleansing. You know America has nazis in its armed forces too!"

The last part is extra hilarious because liberals just admit that our government and military is full of loving Nazis and just accept it as immutable reality with no solutions. The liberal brainpoison doesn't allow them to acknowledge or act upon ideology.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The polls that have managed to leak out have been pretty dire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Warren is an obvious stupid person, watch her talk for 5 minutes and it's clear that there is very little going on up there that isn't "how can I climb the ladder higher?"

I feel like most Democrats benefit from this, where other media/advertising plants this vague image in peoples' minds that doesn't reflect reality at all.

Like when they think about Biden, the vague image of Biden looking like "an honorable man, grim-faced at the duties he must fulfill" appears in their mind. With Kamala, it's the vague image of "Kamala briskly walking the halls and having Professional Phone Calls, leveraging her bright mind and years of experience to solve America's problems."

Basically they view them like television characters, a perception that is cultivated by the rest of the media. Even if they come across an actual clip of them that shows how dumb/dysfunctional they are, it'll quickly be forgotten as they're inundated with more propaganda and they just conclude "that thing I saw before must have just been a fluke or disinformation."

joepinetree posted:

Warren voters are easy to understand. Educated enough that they recognize the world is hosed up, too comfortable to want anything to be done about it, so they seek refuge in the idea that if we are technocratic enough we might avoid the unpleasantness of actual redistribution.

That's what makes it especially sad/pathetic when a guy who is Literally Dying endorses Warren. You'd think that the "literally dying" might off-set the "being PMC" part, but apparently not.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Nov 2, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hey hey
ho ho
genocide Joe has got to go

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

"Listen, you can't just label a country as fascist just because they've employed an all-nazi national guard unit which has carried out ethnic cleansing. You know America has nazis in its armed forces too!"

The last part is extra hilarious because liberals just admit that our government and military is full of loving Nazis and just accept it as immutable reality with no solutions. The liberal brainpoison doesn't allow them to acknowledge or act upon ideology.

the conflation of “a nazi in a military unit” and “a nazi military unit” Is wild. then that led exactly where’d you’d expect, genuine “actually the SS wasn’t that bad” arguments this very year.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I still maintain we should move all the Israelis to Ukraine and let them fight both sides, solve three problems at once

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Much like how Trump is a stupid person's idea of what a rich person is like, Warren is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person looks like.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

trump is also a smart person's idea of what a rich person is like

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the_steve posted:

Much like how Trump is a stupid person's idea of what a rich person is like, Warren is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person looks like.

gotta clarify, a stupid person who thinks they're smart. Academia is full of em

The Stancils of the world

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Best Friends posted:

the conflation of “a nazi in a military unit” and “a nazi military unit” Is wild. then that led exactly where’d you’d expect, genuine “actually the SS wasn’t that bad” arguments this very year.

at least the trains* ran on time

*of dead bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rizz Warren

is that anything