Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tengames posted:

Ive seen people say the community has gotten worse lately but frankly it still feels miles better then when i first started this game and almost never see this stuff anymore. For example in pvp I dont think i have ever seen the same amount of anger for crystaline conflict that i ever saw for Feast matches.

I don't remember Eureka being as barrens chat as Bozja was but that could have just been chance, and also I saw bozja through to the end and did a couple relics, but quit Eureka during Pagos

in terms of PFs and just-for-the-tier statics, the degree of background noise nastiness has generally been static throughout, it's just different now when you're never going to see the same person again

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Vitamean posted:

they should add accel bombs and forced march to real fall guys.

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

As a newish player who's been playing for a bit more than a year and has completed the MSQ and done enough Bozja to hit Zadnor, but has never touched high-level content, I've experienced toxicity exactly once. Never would've expected that in any game, let alone an MMO.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

people have mostly stopped beefing in public chat. a few years ago SE clarified their account penalty system and it included a lot of stuff that lovely people would typically blast in alliance chat or whatever. generally now if someone's being miserable in chat you can report them and they'll prob get slapped for it down the road. the flip side is they've taken all their whining to fester in private discords so its not like anything changed imo, you just don't see it publicly nearly as often.

ofc I remember when tanking bone dragon in the center would send alliance chat into overdrive for the rest of the instance, which was kinda funny but also its own kind of misery.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

If you want we could get toxic in the thread for you, scrub

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I saw someone post a PF last night calling out how bad PF was at doing Endwalker EX5. I chucked, this person was definitely not mad.

Other than maybe the occasional annoyance in PvP toxicity is pretty low, which is nice.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
oh you can still get some incredible meltdowns in announcement pfs during the first month of a new tier. i remember someone going up with "turret prog turret prog turret prog turret prog turret prog turret prog turret prog turret prog" for like hours

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the most I see nowadays is people occasionally grousing in FL chat, but that's really been it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Vitamean posted:

ofc I remember when tanking bone dragon in the center would send alliance chat into overdrive for the rest of the instance, which was kinda funny but also its own kind of misery.

On a slightly related tangent, I joined a MINE LotA run on Halloween night and I was quite surprised how difficult that place actually was. We wiped like 3 times on the bone dragon trash alone, and king behemot was a nightmare to get down, too.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Mr. Neutron posted:

On a slightly related tangent, I joined a MINE LotA run on Halloween night and I was quite surprised how difficult that place actually was. We wiped like 3 times on the bone dragon trash alone, and king behemot was a nightmare to get down, too.

Not really surprising. I'd be shocked if you could find 24 people who all remember what the actual mechanics of LotA are, let alone what you're "supposed" to do.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not even sure what acceleration bomb does

sometimes it blows me up, once

sometimes it doesn't

not a huge problem

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hexwren posted:

I'm not even sure what acceleration bomb does

sometimes it blows me up, once

sometimes it doesn't

not a huge problem

If you are moving it go boom.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

also explodes if you're doing casting or doing some other action.

it's sorta a more visible version of pyretic.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you're fly you can weave acceleration bomb between your GCDs but generally it's better to just let go of the controls for a second or two and let it fizzle.

Or somewhat longer than that in Fall Guys, if it lags for you as badly as it does for me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why dice though?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
One thing I've found with acceleration bomb and mechanics that function similarly is that you need to wait about half a second or so after the debuff "ends" in order to properly clear it due to how the server is handling it. It's something I learned from hard experience :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why dice though?

It's a cube because it started with Ozma IIRC

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why dice though?

They just used dice-like icons for counting down or numbering people.
Probably just a stylistic choice, but also to avoid issues with stylistic arabic numberals.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Vitamean posted:

people have mostly stopped beefing in public chat. a few years ago SE clarified their account penalty system and it included a lot of stuff that lovely people would typically blast in alliance chat or whatever. generally now if someone's being miserable in chat you can report them and they'll prob get slapped for it down the road.

They’ve definitely stamped out a lot toxic people thanks to this. The former leader of my FC got their account permabanned because they just could not stop being a serial shithead in public, even after two prior bans and an explicit warning that a third would not be pleasant for them.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ordinaire posted:

They’ve definitely stamped out a lot toxic people thanks to this. The former leader of my FC got their account permabanned because they just could not stop being a serial shithead in public, even after two prior bans and an explicit warning that a third would not be pleasant for them.

Very dedicated to being toxic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think a big problem with people failing to grasp mechanics is that they get it into their head that tehyre stupid and bad at video games so their brain shuts down when they see something new and just accept theyre gonna die to it (cause theyre stupid and bad at video games)

the amount of randos ive had die five times to something, i give them a two word explanation, then they get it instantly and also get every other mechanic for the rest of the dungeon, is amazing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tengames posted:

Brave man. I wouldn't be equally as confident that gms would accept the defence "im not selling runs, im giving them away for free"
What would the GMs ban you for? Selling runs for gil isn't even bannable. It's only bannable if you're trading real money for it.

They banned advertising selling runs on the party finder, but advertising them out of game or in shout chat is fine. The only reason they banned it in party finder was because the amount of times it was used to launder real money trading, they have no issue with selling runs for gil.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Selling runs through party finder is an explicit example of activity against terms of use.

quote:

It is prohibited to advertise using the Party Finder to offer help to clear duties or obtain items (to help people clear raid content or obtain items by having them join your party). A penalty will be issued if the act has been confirmed.
Examples of violations:
Selling [duty] clear for 1 million gil.
Selling [duty] clear and/or offering the associated rewards from [content]. Join for more info/details.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i think a big problem with people failing to grasp mechanics is that they get it into their head that tehyre stupid and bad at video games so their brain shuts down when they see something new and just accept theyre gonna die to it (cause theyre stupid and bad at video games)

the amount of randos ive had die five times to something, i give them a two word explanation, then they get it instantly and also get every other mechanic for the rest of the dungeon, is amazing

I do think a lot of people either train themselves or get berated into assuming they are bad at games and it's hard habit to break. As is the idea that you can be good at a game even if you're not a top-tier best-of-the-line super speedrun frame perfect person. There are a shocking number of people I've run into who think they are bad at, say, Dark Souls not because they can't finish the game but because they can't do it naked using the worst weapon in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Selling runs through party finder is an explicit example of activity against terms of use.
See my edits to the post.

quote:

“Though the situation varied with each region,” global community producer Toshio Murouchi explains, “there were an enormous number of cases where RMT vendors created recruitment listings in the Party Finder under the guise of mercenary activities, which hindered normal players in their use of the Party Finder. The changes made at this time are intended as measures to rectify this situation and promptly crack down on fraudulent recruitment listings.”

They were banned because of RMT. Selling runs for gil is not at all forbidden.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yep, saw that before the edit.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

If it's not too late, I do feel the crystal minigame in Blunderville is borked cause the snapshots absolutely happen one second before animations go off, the only thing remotely similar are yellow bombs in the last round but those go in order. And as mentioned they lack AOE markers compared to the other stuff. Combined with how unclear it is if touching something will stun you (I think if it's surrounded with stars it does?) it can make for some bad feeling fails... but the trick is, you learn the timings and then it's easier. Also the new mechanics will trip you like once, saying they're cruel for sprouts when reworked Livia exists is ???.

Also they should add Blunderville (Ultimate) where they force parties and mix in harder mechanics. Travel through a course but manage Allagan Rot at the same time. Typhoon but with Limit Cuts. Last round is just Shiva doing Light Rampant unedited.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"It's in content high-end/late-game players will see" (I'm IN Endwalker but have done neither myself, for example), isn't really acceptable for something that's accessible at Level 15.

by that logic the only acceptable mechanics for the event would be holding down the forward key and dodging a small circular aoe every 25 seconds

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think having funky mechanics in the crossover obstacle course is fine

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

If it's not too late, I do feel the crystal minigame in Blunderville is borked cause the snapshots absolutely happen one second before animations go off, the only thing remotely similar are yellow bombs in the last round but those go in order. And as mentioned they lack AOE markers compared to the other stuff. Combined with how unclear it is if touching something will stun you (I think if it's surrounded with stars it does?) it can make for some bad feeling fails... but the trick is, you learn the timings and then it's easier. Also the new mechanics will trip you like once, saying they're cruel for sprouts when reworked Livia exists is ???.

Also they should add Blunderville (Ultimate) where they force parties and mix in harder mechanics. Travel through a course but manage Allagan Rot at the same time. Typhoon but with Limit Cuts. Last round is just Shiva doing Light Rampant unedited.

I don't think it's snapshot related. I think they make your hitbox larger for this event.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also theres already stuff like that in the game? the yojimbo minigame in the goldsaucer is basically the pillar mechanic from the rock guy in the ivalice alliance raids

its a low stakes environment and it isnt exactly hard to grasp. the difficult part of most raids is having to coordinate with other players, having to dodge while also engaging with the boss, and the fact that your personal failures will place a further burden on the team as a whole. none of these exist in fall guys so its much easier.

idk what people are imagining, people will see a mechanic in a video game before they're 300 hours in and poo poo themselves and cry?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Endorph posted:

idk what people are imagining, people will see a mechanic in a video game before they're 300 hours in and poo poo themselves and cry?
uhh have you been reading this thread?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ff14 devs should be executed because in hour 292 of ff14 i just saw a stack marker. uhhmmmm, this seems problematic? #cancelyoship #neverforget

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

also theres already stuff like that in the game? the yojimbo minigame in the goldsaucer is basically the pillar mechanic from the rock guy in the ivalice alliance raids

its a low stakes environment and it isnt exactly hard to grasp. the difficult part of most raids is having to coordinate with other players, having to dodge while also engaging with the boss, and the fact that your personal failures will place a further burden on the team as a whole. none of these exist in fall guys so its much easier.

some people can't handle practicing new mechanics in a low stakes environment and assume everyone else is the same

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You should probably just uninstall if you are reduced to tears because a no stakes goofy crossover event with the funny bean man game made you have a panic attack over seeing a mechanic for the first time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I understand frustration and fear of failure, believe me, but getting knocked off of an obsticle course until you can learn it only falls under one of those two, and even then only minimally.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's a weird complaint, because the devs have been adding later mechanics to early game content. Moggle Mog has a shared tank buster now and that first showed up in Endwalker I think.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yoshi P put an auto dodge ring in FF16, but can't put one in FF14?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk maybe im being too mean but its weird how people act like ff14 should introduce mechanics like, even more slowly and carefully, when you could clear every souls game in the time it takes ff14 to start throwing stuff with even an outside chance of wiping you at you. if anything i like the recent trend towards introducing slightly more complex mechanics earlier in boss redesigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

idk maybe im being too mean but its weird how people act like ff14 should introduce mechanics like, even more slowly and carefully, when you could clear every souls game in the time it takes ff14 to start throwing stuff with even an outside chance of wiping you at you. if anything i like the recent trend towards introducing slightly more complex mechanics earlier in boss redesigns.

This is why the current ARs feel like a drag. Mechanics come out so slow and by the time they start mixing it up and making them interesting the fight is already over.