Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I was only aware he did it during that Royal Rumble.

Roddy helps Flair: "IT'S A KILT!"

Roddy hurts Flair: "IT'S A SKIRT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Reminder the Bobby Heenan at Rumble 92 put on a goddamn masterpiece of commentary easily top 5 work

stab fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 2, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

I was only aware he did it during that Royal Rumble.

Roddy helps Flair: "IT'S A KILT!"

Roddy hurts Flair: "IT'S A SKIRT!"

For me, that Rumble is the pinnacle of Heenan, and Flair put in the work too.

Did anyone in the back resent Flair since he was a WCW guy or did he transcend that?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
heenan is the goat

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Heenan marking out to Flair's victory was amazing and probably would have been eye-rollingly dumb if it were anybody else. The man was a master of his craft.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

lol @ this line from Heenan's Wikipedia entry:

quote:

Heenan also wrestled a series of "Weasel Suit matches" against The Ultimate Warrior, who defeated Heenan by forcing him into a weasel costume.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

That's not the best part. In The Self Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior DVD (before they decided the hatemonger was Good Actually and named an award for him) Bobby talks about how he used to do the weasel suit gimmick in AWA and wanted to do it in the WWF and said "Of course, I wanted to do it against Hogan but... oh well."

He also talked about how Andre had enough of Warrior being wild and stiff and told Bobby something like "One more time, boss." So they got out, Warrior was an idiot, so the next time Warrior came at him off the ropes Andre just stuck his fist out and Warrior brained himself on it. "No more problems, boss."

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For me, that Rumble is the pinnacle of Heenan, and Flair put in the work too.

Did anyone in the back resent Flair since he was a WCW guy or did he transcend that?

That was before Undertaker became Judge/Jury/Executioner of the locker room and Flair liked to party so I am going to guess it was fine.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

That's not the best part. In The Self Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior DVD (before they decided the hatemonger was Good Actually and named an award for him) Bobby talks about how he used to do the weasel suit gimmick in AWA and wanted to do it in the WWF and said "Of course, I wanted to do it against Hogan but... oh well."

He also talked about how Andre had enough of Warrior being wild and stiff and told Bobby something like "One more time, boss." So they got out, Warrior was an idiot, so the next time Warrior came at him off the ropes Andre just stuck his fist out and Warrior brained himself on it. "No more problems, boss."

Bobby also talks about the time Warrior picked him up for a gorilla press and just dropped him instead of doing literally anything else.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Dawgstar posted:

The Andre the Giant story is great. I love the mental image of Warrior running full speed into a fist the size of a rib roast.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 2, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"He's learning, boss."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The other similar story was Warrior stiffing Rick Rude, so he told him "If you do that one more time I'm going to knock you out." Warrior did, Rude open hand slapped him into unconsciousness

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

The other similar story was Warrior stiffing Rick Rude, so he told him "If you do that one more time I'm going to knock you out." Warrior did, Rude gave him the Upper Body Business

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

haljordan posted:

If you watch any pre-WWF territory matches with Heenan at ringside you're almost always going to hear "weasel" chants.

In other unrelated WCW things

I randomly remembered this episode of World Wide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iZIz0mFqtM

It only has one match, but its Barry Windham vs Ric Flair in a 35 minute match with some promos before and after.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Bobby also talks about the time Warrior picked him up for a gorilla press and just dropped him instead of doing literally anything else.

Isn't that exactly what Warrior's gorilla press slam was though? It seemed like a move for the victims to fend for themselves. Though maybe Bobby never actually agreed to take it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you watch the clip he doesn't actually get Bobby all the way up and then says "gently caress it" and drops him awkwardly.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you watch the clip he doesn't actually get Bobby all the way up and then says "gently caress it" and drops him awkwardly.

Which is especially bad with Heenan's hosed up neck

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

The other similar story was Warrior stiffing Rick Rude, so he told him "If you do that one more time I'm going to knock you out." Warrior did, Rude open hand slapped him into unconsciousness

Supposedly Rude could KO someone in one slap on command and any time people gave him poo poo when he was a bouncer, he'd just KO them, problem solved.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Angry_Ed posted:

Which is especially bad with Heenan's hosed up neck

Yeah, that was why he mentioned it. And why he was so pissed off at Pillman in WCW. Everybody was made aware of his condition and some people just didn't give a poo poo.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What did Pillman do?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
While doing his whole Loose Cannon schtick in WCW he went over to the announce table and grabbed Bobby by the neck, causing him to yell "What the gently caress are you doing?!" live on air.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Shard posted:

What did Pillman do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPMIDM17VQ

Notorious liar Eric Bischoff says Pillman either didn't know or had forgotten that Heenan was No Touch and that they both were fine after they talked about it. Bischoff doesn't have much reason to protect Pillman so it could be true.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Rick Rude ftw

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DeathChicken posted:

These are some of my favorite wrestling stories, a wrestler's job after all is putting on a performance where it looks like they're beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other while in reality are trying to minimize the actual damage they inflict(at least if they're competent), so Warrior getting a much deserved reminder that the people he's being too stiff with are generally all much better than him at doing the dance but are also better at committing violence if they feel the need to take the kid gloves off is both karmic and comedic gold

See also pretty much anytime an audience member tries to interfere with a match or when a non-wrestler thinks that because "wrestling is fake" that they can totally take on a wrestler when they're off the clock even though the guy has a foot of height and 150 pounds of muscle more than them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
They replaced Schivano with Magnum TA. frankly the Ross/Magnum pairing is starting to work.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Supposedly Rude could KO someone in one slap on command and any time people gave him poo poo when he was a bouncer, he'd just KO them, problem solved.

Rude was a legit top 10 placer (#6) in the 1983 Vegas Arm Wrestling Championships (light heavyweight division). Dude was like the 80s version of Claudio, faaaar stronger than what his body type would lead you to believe at first glance. I can only imagine that particular slap on Warrior sounded like a gunshot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
getting slapped by rick rude so hard it causes an isekei style situation

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Rude, the Road Warriors and I think Barry Darsow all worked as bouncers at the same bar and would have contests of drunk tossing distance.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What should I watch if I want to see Rude in his prime? He's one of those guys I always knew was a legend but I haven't caught much of what he did.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

What should I watch if I want to see Rude in his prime? He's one of those guys I always knew was a legend but I haven't caught much of what he did.

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3cfiRUksE

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 3, 2023

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
hulk hogan vape juice

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
That is funnier than the ric flair mushroom juice

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
what are you going to do brother when these 8000 puffs of satisfaction run wild on you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Each puff feels like getting slammed by the hulkster.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

drrockso20 posted:

See also pretty much anytime an audience member tries to interfere with a match or when a non-wrestler thinks that because "wrestling is fake" that they can totally take on a wrestler when they're off the clock even though the guy has a foot of height and 150 pounds of muscle more than them
One of my other favorite parts of those moments are when the idiot fan gets caught by one of the referees... who also proceeds to kick the living poo poo out of them.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If only the Hulk Hogan Vape Juice could have smoked the competition

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

puffin on my hulk hogan vape while waiting for my hulk hogan meat shoes to warm this jerky

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Cameo posted:

Rude was a legit top 10 placer (#6) in the 1983 Vegas Arm Wrestling Championships (light heavyweight division). Dude was like the 80s version of Claudio, faaaar stronger than what his body type would lead you to believe at first glance. I can only imagine that particular slap on Warrior sounded like a gunshot.

Can you even imagine how sick Rude would have been on POWERSLAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

https://ia801802.us.archive.org/18/...20%28WCW%29.mp4