Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't use aliexpress a lot but holy poo poo it's search engine is bad, broken I would say. What the hell are the site designers thinking? Doesn't show anything remotely closed to what I was looking for, just stuff based on what I bought as if I only ever want to repeat my last purchase forever.

I find a lot more of what I am actually looking for on Alibaba but it's marketed for bulk buys and I don't need to buy 5000 pieces of something.

I noticed the same thing a couple years back, and stopped using it. I'm not sure what they factor in now, maybe regional buying habits and other algo poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the entire website is remarkably janky, when browsing the site from Norway they keep sending me to vi.aliexpress.com and randomly translating a bunch of text to Vietnamese :confused:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the search seems to have gotten worse, and the new redesign is horrible overall too.

Rahu posted:

ORUSS watch review:

It can keep the time, the date works and is not just for show, and the bezel moves very smoothly and feels good with no backplay at all. My only complaints about the watch itself are that the cyclops is a little crooked and the crown is so tiny that is is difficult to get a good grip on but it is usable if you try hard enough. Pretty good for the price.

The bracelet is just awful though, it is made of some sort of hollow stamped stainless steel that eats up all the hairs on my arm whenever it moves even a little. It doesn't show great in the picture but the smooth finish is only on the front/back of the band and the sides/edges are very rough and uneven. Also it isn't resizable.

Overall it is potentially usable after swapping the bracelet, probably better to just buy a real watch instead.
Incredible that it's an actual working watch at all. Is it quartz or mechanical?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
It is quartz but so far it is on track to lose ~15 seconds a day so you might mistake it for being mechanical :v:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Anyone buying ali powerbanks: do they actually get close to the rated mah? I always thought they were just bullshit numbers, like with the torches that put our more light than the sun on a single 18650.

Specific use case but I highly recommend this steam deck case. It doesn’t feel quite as solid as the genuine one that comes with it but still strong enough to take plenty of knocks or accidents and protect the deck. It also has an edge of the genuine because it has storage for power adaptor, cables and cards. It arrived really quickly, overtaking other orders in the post.

I also picked up a couple little micro sd storage cases, I only need one but wasn’t sure which one I liked so I bought them both. They haven’t arrived yet so no feedback.
It’s strange that I have a bunch of <=2gb cards that all came with individual cases but two very nice samsung 512gb cards don’t.

Option 1

Option 2

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DRINK ME posted:

Anyone buying ali powerbanks: do they actually get close to the rated mah? I always thought they were just bullshit numbers, like with the torches that put our more light than the sun on a single 18650.
Yep last one I got was this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004222265233.html and tested it with an electronic load:

So that's 62Wh capacity from a nominally 74Wh powerbank (20,000mAh) which is 84%. Pretty reasonable if you account for conversion losses and some safety margin.

You have to do some due diligence though because there certainly are sketchy powerbanks claiming ridiculous capacities that are going to be fake. Brands like Xiaomi, Blitzwolf, Baseus or this Romoss are pretty safe though.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

evil_bunnY posted:

It's hard to make plastic lenses that pass UV tbh, you'll be fine. Whether they're worth a poo poo optically is another question.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping. I've had Ali sunglasses without problems, so I'm gonna assume it's the same thing but on a bigger scale

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

DRINK ME posted:

SD card cases

Now I'm curious: what need do you have for that many cards?

Tiny dice arrived, they are indeed tiny

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005461380990.html

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My issue with ali is the search is getting worse. Any given search will give 2 page or less of relevant results and every page down I press on the keyboard gives increasingly wrong result. By the 4th page down I get 80% things either from my own prior orders or poo poo currently on my shopping cart, not what I search. And sort by price is getting worse. Like I used to be able to sort by price and buy the cheapest bluetooth earphone every few months, and is getting harder to this simple thing.

So I have been buying from temu if they are available on temu.

I just ordered a "12v 2.0 USBC charger" on ali yesterday. Parts like that you pretty much have to buy from ali or taobao, and even that specific search was almost broken.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
It is like searching on youtube, after a few real results they start listing things they think you might be interested in instead of what you asked for. Standard engagement-boosting behavior.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Rahu posted:

ORUSS watch review:

It can keep the time, the date works and is not just for show, and the bezel moves very smoothly and feels good with no backplay at all. My only complaints about the watch itself are that the cyclops is a little crooked and the crown is so tiny that is is difficult to get a good grip on but it is usable if you try hard enough. Pretty good for the price.

The bracelet is just awful though, it is made of some sort of hollow stamped stainless steel that eats up all the hairs on my arm whenever it moves even a little. It doesn't show great in the picture but the smooth finish is only on the front/back of the band and the sides/edges are very rough and uneven. Also it isn't resizable.

Overall it is potentially usable after swapping the bracelet, probably better to just buy a real watch instead.

That watch is ugly in a boring way. For $7.99 get a casio.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yeah you can do way better/dumber than that on aliexpress
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005809881640.html

Make sure to tell the seller your local time zone so they can set the time before sending it :haw:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep last one I got was this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004222265233.html and tested it with an electronic load:

So that's 62Wh capacity from a nominally 74Wh powerbank (20,000mAh) which is 84%. Pretty reasonable if you account for conversion losses and some safety margin.

You have to do some due diligence though because there certainly are sketchy powerbanks claiming ridiculous capacities that are going to be fake. Brands like Xiaomi, Blitzwolf, Baseus or this Romoss are pretty safe though.
Ok, that’s not bad at all. I really don’t need another powerbank because I have two that are ok and will juice my phone but what could another hurt if it’s in a cool case.

By popular demand posted:

Now I'm curious: what need do you have for that many cards?
I don’t need that many but my steam deck has 64gb of storage and games I’m installing are over 100gb each (red dead, forza, etc), so installing to card is the only option.

I could have probably bought a single 1tb or 2tb but when I priced cards the 500gb was much cheaper per gb than the bigger cards. I also have various other smaller cards I use in pi’s and the like which could theoretically go in a nice case but probably won’t.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sadly, that Romoss one doesn’t ship to Canada. Sort of suspecting none of them will…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Baseus does, though I suspect slowly. Time to add to my collection and see if these ones will randomly stop charging on me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Sadly, that Romoss one doesn’t ship to Canada. Sort of suspecting none of them will…
It now says it won't ship to my country either lol.

Maybe check one of the other versions they have. This one seems to be shipping, so no idea what's going on there: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006043479362.html

All my chinese poweranks still work btw.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Been using a Baseus MagSafe battery pack on my 14 pro max. For the $20-25 it was it’s amazing I love it. Would buy another immediately if this one stopped working but no signs that it will and has been dropped, full of sand on the beach, used many days a week. Highly recommend

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

busalover posted:

I noticed the same thing a couple years back, and stopped using it. I'm not sure what they factor in now, maybe regional buying habits and other algo poo poo.

So how do people actually find what they are looking for on this site?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Recently I search/find the word "sold" so that my browser marks them and it's visually easier to find the stores with most sales.
And I only bother with the first page.

I wish someone would come up with with an algorithm to just scrape the results according to parameters and display a short list.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The less words you search for, the better it works. "hammer" works better than "claw hammer hexagonal" works better than "claw hammer hexagonal head steel"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Ali has a search paradigm where it will simply not return nothing if your search term is too specific. Put any search term in, even say "sdfgasd;kljgjkl" and it'll return results based on things you've bought or looked at. It won't say "No results found"

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Tarkus posted:

Ali has a search paradigm where it will simply not return nothing if your search term is too specific. Put any search term in, even say "sdfgasd;kljgjkl" and it'll return results based on things you've bought or looked at. It won't say "No results found"

Sometimes you also have to do a bunch of trial and error to figure out what weird term the Chinese will call something, which is sometimes entirely different from what it usually is called.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
You could probably find out what they call it by translating it in Google translate from your language to chinese back to your language

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Not sure what I've clicked on to suggest this, but Ali has decided what I need in my life is some 'German Meckum Racing Pigeon Special Speed'

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Rozzbot posted:

Not sure what I've clicked on to suggest this, but Ali has decided what I need in my life is some 'German Meckum Racing Pigeon Special Speed'

is it like a “fish antibiotic “ nod nod wink wink type deal

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rozzbot posted:

Link please.

Edit: Surprise surprise, "pigeon speed" does the trick.

Edit 2:

Define "crystal clear".

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 2, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

XYZAB posted:

Link please.

Edit: Surprise surprise, "pigeon speed" does the trick.

Edit 2:

Define "crystal clear".

Define “explosiveness” when applied to pigeons.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Clear like those decorative plastic crystals you helped your child glue to some craft paper.
Also the same colour the toilet water were after the cleaner left.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
As long as my pigeons aren't angry I don't care what colour it is.

ed: DRINK THE JUICE !!!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 2, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I just got a shipment from Aliexpress in 5 full days, ordered 10/27.

It wasn't even guaranteed 15-day shipping.

Edit: and I didn't read that it was 10 pieces so now I have 20 little right angle hose barb to m3 fittings when I needed two.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 2, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
It's got what pigeons crave!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

XYZAB posted:

Define "crystal clear".

“clear” means that light isn’t diverted within the substance, I believe, and “colourless” means that it, well, doesn’t have a colour so I guess it passes all wavelengths of visible light completely

or so I recall from high school science with all those “clear, colourless liquids”

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

His Divine Shadow posted:

So how do people actually find what they are looking for on this site?

You wait for someone else to find it and link it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Everything on the official NHL shop is mostly ugly and very expensive. Decided to try my hand at ordering a couple things from DHgate after reading about some quality jerseys itt. I haven't received the jersey yet, but the hoodie, gently caress. Its not something you would wear for warmth at all, its almost like a track pant sort of material as my wife put it. Its see through. Cost me $50 with shipping, so I went back to do a return. I said I'm not satisfied with the quality, and they respond with some generic canned response

quote:

Hello, this product is our best-selling product with good quality. What are you specifically dissatisfied with?

Oh boy this oughta be fun.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bowmore posted:

You wait for someone else to find it and link it

Then someone look up some C9 style american christmas light strings for me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My new magnetic charging cable was working great! Even if it didn't technically fast-charge, it never dropped into slow charging, and seemed faster overall than my previous one (which glowed blue from the magnetic end). I wrote a very favorable review.

Yesterday I cut a tiny triangle of electrical tape for the tiny green light on the top of the magnetic end and the fucker stopped working entirely. Like, to the point that my tablet complains there's something wrong with the cable every time I connect it. Remove the tape--nothing. Check where it plugs into the power strip (I know it's getting power), flip the receiving end in my tablet's USB-C port--nada. gently caress! :argh:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

yeah it’s funny that, got a 256gb usb that worked literally right up until the positive review, and i might just be fortunate but i’ve never had a usb catastrophically fail before, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Cables can be very hit or miss.
If it helps, my brother buys all his from the official Baseus store and he says it was all good so far.

Also about searching: The way to shop on AE nowadays is to meander for hours while you've got time to burn, used to be you could use outside search engines but AE keeps updating to break this.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 3, 2023