Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I have to imagine Cubs are gonna slap a QO on Bellinger.

And by QO you mean sign him to a 10 year deal? Cause that would be a quality offer in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I hope Ohtani doesn't sign until like mid February. Just drag it out as long as possible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I have to imagine Cubs are gonna slap a QO on Bellinger.

Yeah and then somebody (I hope the Cubs!) is going to massively overpay him. The FA market for hitters is hilariously anemic this offseason, after Ohtani and Bellinger things kinda fall off a cliff. Realistically I'm guessing he goes to the Giants since they've been chomping at the bit to hand out an albatross contract for a couple years now and can probably outbid the Yankees.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

Presumably. I think people generally accepted the Royals would be good, and once Bo Jackson became a thing, everyone felt like they'd probably be good for a while.

Oops.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1719916293141213689

Smith should ask for a billion dollars

Turns out it was the Willenium, we just had the wrong guy

e: he's 34??? I thought he was like 55.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Traxis posted:

I hope Ohtani doesn't sign until like mid February. Just drag it out as long as possible.

Reported for targeted violence

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tony Phillips posted:

the HOMER HANKY.

I guess we still do these, and actually have for many postseasons, but the originals were still the best. Someone posted em all on FB and all I could think was "drat we sure didn't win in most of those years."

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Yeah and then somebody (I hope the Cubs!) is going to massively overpay him. The FA market for hitters is hilariously anemic this offseason, after Ohtani and Bellinger things kinda fall off a cliff. Realistically I'm guessing he goes to the Giants since they've been chomping at the bit to hand out an albatross contract for a couple years now and can probably outbid the Yankees.
please put down the lathe of heaven

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seems like he’d just stick with the Angels; they’re probably willing to pay as much as anybody

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The World Champion Texas Rangers will sign Shohei Ohtani

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The World Champion Texas Rangers will sign Shohei Ohtani

Hell yeah, get on over here Shohei

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

please put down the lathe of heaven

Continuing to hold onto it as I think that it would also be extremely funny to have yet another year where the Giants are bending over backwards clearly trying to bring in a star and all of them sign elsewhere. :v:

Also like, I really liked Cody and want him back, but I'm also aware that he's kind of a land mine. He needs to be at or near 100% healthy to play well and otherwise falls off a cliff, which is fine when a player is in their prime but kinda becomes a huge issue once they're in their 30's, see one Bryant, Kris. CF defense is also something that rapidly falls off once a player enters their 30's and while some freaks like Kiermaier can stick it, realistically you're probably only looking at 2-3 years of Cody in CF before he gets moved off to a corner or 1B. His underlying stats this year were also really weird, and yes some of that is that is he did genuinely overhaul his plate approach to prioritize contact in the zone with two strikes, but it doesn't fully explain him hugely overperforming his xwOBA and xSLG despite legit terrible exit velo and barrels. All of which is to say I think in a normal FA year he'd be looking at something similar to Nimmo's deal, but in a thin market will probably get a nine-figure deal starting with a 2 that could get pretty painful down the line.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I guess we still do these, and actually have for many postseasons, but the originals were still the best. Someone posted em all on FB and all I could think was "drat we sure didn't win in most of those years."

MLB won't let them be white anymore so as far as I'm concerned the Homer Hanky is dead

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nelson Cruz retired.

Be free, you beautiful dumb bastard

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Continuing to hold onto it as I think that it would also be extremely funny to have yet another year where the Giants are bending over backwards clearly trying to bring in a star and all of them sign elsewhere. :v:
this would be a lot funnier than the Giants signing either Cody or Shohei, carry on

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Dog posted:

Seems like he’d just stick with the Angels; they’re probably willing to pay as much as anybody

Don't say it out loud

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Hell yeah, get on over here Shohei

You can't have him either

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I hope the Texas Rangers sign Ohtani and Battleship Yamamato and win the next 10 world series in a row.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pobrecito posted:

I hope the Texas Rangers sign Ohtani and Battleship Yamamato and win the next 10 world series in a row.

I WILL NOT BROOK THIS CHICANERY

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The funniest part about being a fan of a team who has absolutely 0% shot to sign shohei ohtani is that I can just watch mdemone's deteriorating mental state all offseason

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Monathin posted:

The funniest part about being a fan of a team who has absolutely 0% shot to sign shohei ohtani is that I can just watch mdemone's deteriorating mental state all offseason

You can't have him either, whoever you are

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I did have someone point out to me that it sounded like I was seriously threatening the life of Anthony Rendon so I pumped the brakes a bit on that

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

lmfao mdem i'm a guards fan, if you're getting poached by the loving cleveland goddamn guardians you got bigger problems

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Monathin posted:

lmfao mdem i'm a guards fan, if you're getting poached by the loving cleveland goddamn guardians you got bigger problems

Unironically one of the few teams I would actually accept him going to

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't think the Astros are even considering him but that is the funniest option so it should happen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mdemone posted:

I did have someone point out to me that it sounded like I was seriously threatening the life of Anthony Rendon so I pumped the brakes a bit on that

Isn’t he already dead?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

Isn’t he already dead?

You don't know that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Starting Andrew Heaney in the world series and winning really is something else. Congrats to Not the Astros i guess

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Starting Andrew Heaney in the world series and winning really is something else. Congrats to Not the Astros i guess

They won because they used Will Smith in the world series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Dameius posted:

I don't think the Astros are even considering him but that is the funniest option so it should happen.

Astros are like $8 miillion below the tax and despite Crane's past posturing I doubt he goes over it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bawfuls posted:

This is no longer the case. The minors are unionized now under the MLBPA. They have separate CBA’s but they’re all in the same union and thus have a duty and reason to protect one another.

This is a very basic reduction of how unions like this coexist in practice.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

mdemone posted:

Unironically one of the few teams I would actually accept him going to

Would you accept Your Minnesota Twins?

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, even Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs aren't that bad*, and we sell everything that has any value to corporate sponsors and developers.

*yet

Phoenix is getting at least one suburb that sounds really cool, actually. Why? Because it's actually built to be a suburb where people can live in a loving desert, rather than drive cars around in a loving desert.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2023/oct/11/culdesac-car-free-neighborhood-tempe-arizona?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

Also like, I really liked Cody and want him back, but I'm also aware that he's kind of a land mine. He needs to be at or near 100% healthy to play well and otherwise falls off a cliff, which is fine when a player is in their prime but kinda becomes a huge issue once they're in their 30's, see one Bryant, Kris. CF defense is also something that rapidly falls off once a player enters their 30's and while some freaks like Kiermaier can stick it, realistically you're probably only looking at 2-3 years of Cody in CF before he gets moved off to a corner or 1B. His underlying stats this year were also really weird, and yes some of that is that is he did genuinely overhaul his plate approach to prioritize contact in the zone with two strikes, but it doesn't fully explain him hugely overperforming his xwOBA and xSLG despite legit terrible exit velo and barrels. All of which is to say I think in a normal FA year he'd be looking at something similar to Nimmo's deal, but in a thin market will probably get a nine-figure deal starting with a 2 that could get pretty painful down the line.

something i've found helpful when analyzing cool and good players like our friend cody bellinger is that super advanced analytics are for dweebs who don't like to lift weights, wear sick oakleys and hit homers. based on this analysis, he should be signed to a 10 year deal

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Redeye Flight posted:

Would you accept Your Minnesota Twins?

Yes but that's in the Cleveland Bin of Never

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This is a very basic reduction of how unions like this coexist in practice.
ok but the idea that the MLBPA does not and can not give a poo poo about how potential new policies impact minor league players is incorrect

N: https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1720194073313624150

V: get it done Andrew

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Any of the AL playoff teams would have beaten the Dbacks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bawfuls posted:

ok but the idea that the MLBPA does not and can not give a poo poo about how potential new policies impact minor league players is incorrect

It invalidates the 'can not' but not the 'does not'

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

N: https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1720194073313624150

V: get it done Andrew

Yes that's right. Sign a guy who can pitch next year. Go on.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mdemone posted:

Are you a staph infection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Congratulations bawfuls on extending your dingers guy:

https://twitter.com/MLByahoosports/status/1720190947772748147