Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh, okay, pretend I said A Feast for Odin. Big box Uwe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Impermanent posted:

agricola is heavy?

It's really the price-per-pound that matters.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's really 2 different kinds of heaviness really. One is rules complexity, and Agricole is quite complicated in that sense. Then there's heaviness in the actual choices in the game, more like depth like some Splotters etc.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Morpheus posted:

The Escape Room: The Game puzzles (Secret of the Scientist, as well as The Baron, The Witch, and the Thief) are quite good, far better than the mainline series of their games are. Each jigsaw is a room that you put together, then solve a puzzle in using the game's twisty dial system to find the next puzzle, then add it to a growing blueprint of rooms while progressing the story. I quite liked them. The Exit ones are pretty good, as you solve a bunch of larger jigsaw images that are pretty nice, each with a bunch of escape room puzzles within them - recently did Nightfall Manor and liked it.

The Ravensburg puzzles are tougher, both due to the nature of the jigsaws (that is, one large puzzle rather than a few smaller ones) and because the riddles themselves are vague - you're not quite certain what you're supposed to be solving a lot of the time. But in the end you end up putting together a miniature jigsaw puzzle from existing pieces, which I liked. One big issue we had was that often the art was so dark, making it real hard to notice some clues.

Anyway those are the ones I've tried.

Honestly though I've had fun with all of them, each with their own flaws and standout features. My favourites are probably the Escape Room Game ones, due to the storylines, the little self-contained jigsaws and their riddles, the maps you make, and crucially, the fact that we can take it apart easily and give it to a friend (which is tougher with the Exit ones, where sometimes you have to cut or fold stuff).

Thanks for the post, the Escape Room ones sound like a good starting point.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Triskelli posted:

It's bleak as hell though, especially when a new player struggles not to starve

Fun absolutely informs weight, especially how much fun losing is.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I consider Agricola pretty heavy, but I think the march of time shifted the parameters a lot with much heavier games popping up after it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Aramoro posted:

There's really 2 different kinds of heaviness really. One is rules complexity, and Agricole is quite complicated in that sense. Then there's heaviness in the actual choices in the game, more like depth like some Splotters etc.

There's a whole confluence of factors which determine the "weight" of a game, the BGG page on it has a good summary: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Weight

I like to think of it as the "how smashed can I be and still expect to not embarrass myself at this game" scale

PS I wouldn't recommend playing a 2p "semi-cooperative" film-noir inspired game like Mantis Falls while on edibles with someone you are not totally comfortable with yet. :tinfoil:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Triskelli posted:

It's bleak as hell though, especially when a new player struggles not to starve

Yeah but this isn't really a problem with the game itself. It's more of an issue with even snack distribution, so that the players at either end of the table don't miss out :v:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rad, thanks. My wife did this https://www.chroniclebooks.com/products/murder-most-puzzling-the-missing-will-500-piece-puzzle and kind of enjoyed it, a bit simple, and this looks like a tougher version.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
It’s not terribly robust but when it comes to “MWE’s” I feel like its the deluge of low interaction fairly accessible games that play in around a 90 minute period without much in the way of strategic variation or interesting decision making, that are neither quick enough to excuse simpler mechanics or interesting/ deep /interactive enough to give rise to some tension and tough choices. Like I suppose by weight Through the Desert is a MWE but no way does it fall into that category of themed worker placements that feel really common right now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Blamestorm posted:

It’s not terribly robust but when it comes to “MWE’s” I feel like its the deluge of low interaction fairly accessible games that play in around a 90 minute period without much in the way of strategic variation or interesting decision making, that are neither quick enough to excuse simpler mechanics or interesting/ deep /interactive enough to give rise to some tension and tough choices. Like I suppose by weight Through the Desert is a MWE but no way does it fall into that category of themed worker placements that feel really common right now.

Exactly this, most of my favourite games fall into the "MWE" sphere but because of player interaction you don't need a complex ruleset to keep things interesting. There's definitely a tendency towards the "multiplayer solitaire" end of the gameplay spectrum which is probably why all of these games feel so samey.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Blamestorm posted:

I've started calling all of these mid rate euros, and just like MRE's they're....technically fine.

For TTD and others, there's this nice guild I found on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/3948 that describes the old interactive euros from days gone by. We still get some from time to time, see splotter, but even I realize their "classic" designs are almost a decade old now and horseless carriage is p much a Lacerda. Not that I'm complaining, there's a lifetime's worth of old euros that already exist and it's hard to top them with newer designs.

Anyway, given how hard it is to find outside of Japan, I hope square on sale gets a wider reprint release. It's my go-to intro board game now along with the estates. I hope we get a swing back towards these kinds of games introducing people to the hobby, instead of milquetoast wingspan and TFM. Zoo vadis and a new edition of TTD gives me hope

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Blamestorm posted:

category of themed worker placements

This is the simple description I needed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cardinals of the Cardinal Direction is what I think of for MWE (though there is a bit of variety in them and some are pushing the upper boundaries of "mid weight").

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

This is the simple description I needed.

I've struggled to think of a more recent notable worker placement with a twist and the last great one I can think of is Vanuatu, which was released in 2011.

And yet, when you look at BGG's list of what's considered worker placement https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2082/worker-placement/linkeditems/boardgamemechanic?pageid=1&sort=yearpublished, understanding that the term WP is so loosely used now given all the ways it's been experimented on, and the deluge of them just hits you in the face. There are already pages of pages of 2024 releases

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I've struggled to think of a more recent notable worker placement with a twist and the last great one I can think of is Vanuatu, which was released in 2011.

Tzol'kin?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of my favorite games from recent years was Beyond the Sun in 2020 which is labeled as a worker placement game. But is it really? You take actions from a limited amount of them and you can block your opponents, but you only have the one piece to take actions with. I refer to it as an action selection game but maybe the terms are interchangeable?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

And yet, when you look at BGG's list of what's considered worker placement https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2082/worker-placement/linkeditems/boardgamemechanic?pageid=1&sort=yearpublished, understanding that the term WP is so loosely used now given all the ways it's been experimented on, and the deluge of them just hits you in the face. There are already pages of pages of 2024 releases

Barrage, I'd say.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

Barrage, I'd say.

I know a lot of people that lost their minds over Barrage and I have a feeling if it had come out at a different time in my life I'd own a copy but something about it just intimidates and enervates at the same time. What's the thread consensus on it? I'd love to try it but I hard to find the time lately.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I had someone I play games with occasionally (I wouldn't like to call him a friend, he has Opinions) insist that Hansa Teutonica is a worker placement game because "you put cubes on the map and you can cover up spaces other players want to use" :psyduck:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FulsomFrank posted:

I know a lot of people that lost their minds over Barrage and I have a feeling if it had come out at a different time in my life I'd own a copy but something about it just intimidates and enervates at the same time. What's the thread consensus on it? I'd love to try it but I hard to find the time lately.

I played a bunch on BGA and liked it but it didn't quite get its hooks into me. Food Chain Magnate seems like the best point of comparison I can think of as a cutthroat engine builder with a spatial positioning component. It's slightly more intuitive than FCM and the pitfalls are not quite as catastrophic but you can still knock yourself out of the game by missing a clutch move. The worker placement and rondel management components make turn-to-turn play a nice brain burner since in addition to having to stake out key board positions you also have to stake out key actions and make sure that all your resources line up for it. On the other hand, I think having fixed game length might be a mistake and the last turn (or even two or three, which is a huge chunk of the game) often feels like going through the motions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I mean I really like it, I don't love it but the water flow is really interactive since it's very much a shared space. The worker placement is fine, nothing special. The wheel that controls your two types of machineries, that moves when you build so eventually you'll get the stuff back, is really cool.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

there is no MWE more than MWE-y than fukkin Scythe. expensive, big footprint, and theme completely disconnected from the mediocre two hours and change gameplay.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My thoughts on emblematic MWE's trend towards Flamecraft nowadays. Dripping with art and theme, but the gameplay is so extremely middle of the road.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Magic Realm isn't innately that complex, it's that every system in the game operates in ways different from other games and every new system adds lots of new options and the characters you play are designed around understanding rules interactions.

Even a basic "fight big monsters and maybe grab their loot after" character like the Berserker or the White Knight interacts with other rules: the Berserker has his special Berserk chit, while the Knight has a splash of magic and very much cares about how the armor rules work. The Berserker can deal with nasty solo monsters but get brought down by ordinary wolves. Because the combat system is still novel after all these years, you need to really understand how it works in order to realize that the White Knight is going to get murdered by those six goblins even if he can kill a dragon without help.

The real challenge is in learning how all the rules interact with all the other rules. That's especially true with more players and with PvP or cooperative play. The White Knight alone works completely differently than if he is working with the Wizard. The Black Knight and the Captain can work together, ally with two of the denizen groups and go kill off all the others. Multiple characters can wait for another character to get a big score and then bushwack them on the way back from the dungeon. For the Witch King, you have to really understand the magic system in order to perform even basic tasks in the game; for the Magician, you need to know who you plan to work with and know the magic system well in order to work out how best to do so. Strategy guides will give you guidance in such things (even back in the day, the General had articles showing the odds each character has against each type of monster encounter, though those get changed, sometimes drastically, by equipment or treasures), but the game just gives you all the tools and expects you to work out the rest.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is Dune: Imperium not sufficiently twisty?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Meal, Weady to Eat

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

homullus posted:

Meal, Weady to Eat
Maybe [Will|Won't] Enjoy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
A real Modern Warfare Experience.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Meaningless waste of existence

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Is there a thread or anything here on SA for trading board games? I've got a couple of games that I will just never play. I know there is on BGG, but that poo poo looks complicated and maybe there are people here who also have poo poo they don't want.

Or honestly, I may just give them away.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jimbozig posted:

Is there a thread or anything here on SA for trading board games? I've got a couple of games that I will just never play. I know there is on BGG, but that poo poo looks complicated and maybe there are people here who also have poo poo they don't want.

Or honestly, I may just give them away.

It might be best to create a thread in SA Mart (and link it here) to let those additional protective rules apply. However, when this has come up in the past, the TG mod team have not considered that a requirement, so you can just as easily post here and then take it to PMs at your own risk.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

SettingSun posted:

My thoughts on emblematic MWE's trend towards Flamecraft nowadays. Dripping with art and theme, but the gameplay is so extremely middle of the road.

My friend spent (I'm assuming) a fortune on an expensive version of this game with minis, extra dragons, and metal coins and it came with a second copy of the game that she gave to us (which also had minis and metal coins). I dunno how much she spent on it but gosh I can think of so many other games I think that money would've been better spent on.

I've only set up and played the game solo but it didn't seem like it'd be all that exciting even with a table full of friends. The art is nice but that was all that seemed worthwhile there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SettingSun posted:

Raccoon tycoon and NY Zoo are some of my recent biggest disappointments as well and for the same reasons. Such a shame, we could've had a cutthroat economics game with cute bougie raccoons smdh

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
So Storage Wars but with raccoons bidding on trash cans? I can dig it

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Chill la Chill posted:

Raccoon tycoon and NY Zoo are some of my recent biggest disappointments as well and for the same reasons. Such a shame, we could've had a cutthroat economics game with cute bougie raccoons smdh

Douche Phoenix posted:

So Storage Wars but with raccoons bidding on trash cans? I can dig it
You will never top the bougiest raccoon of them all: Tom Nook.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I signed up to play On Mars this Saturday. I've never played a Lacerda game before and just saw it's a 4.67 complexity on BGG. The teach video was 45 minutes long. On a scale of 0 to 10, how much will the 90-150 minute playing time be a lie? (None of the others have played On Mars before, either, I believe, but they should all have seen the video.)

I'm assuming it's worth the effort, with its #48 ranking on BGG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I am eagerly awaiting the follow up post

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If no one has played before it will either be dreadfully short because everyone missed a couple key rules or agonizingly long as you work through its complexities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Mock (all) Wingspan Enjoyers