Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

They will, the Fed are big babies and are about to turn the money hose back on and we'll all dance in the money.

Can i have some of the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

can you afford a down payment?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ben shapino posted:

can you afford a down payment?

im down for a payment

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They'll just pass a law banning refis to guarantee profits for banks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Twerk from Home posted:

They will, the Fed are big babies and are about to turn the money hose back on and we'll all dance in the money.
yeah, I don't see a way that ZIRP doesn't come roaring back next president or two.

ZIRP should have died 10+ years ago but the money hose was kept on because no one wanted to be the one responsible for pressing the button that says: 'crash the economy, number goes down, no more DOW UP +10% everyday = President GoodEconomy; destroy VC unicorn tech fartapps that are the reason there's blossoming bespoke axe throwing bars and luxury dog spa; muh house value goes down' until they were absolutely forced to because extremely dire times are on the horizon. so it's now on a mandatory cooldown that not even Feds + Dems can avoid, but the cooldown is there to re-charge the ZIRP potential so they can unleash it again when the truly dire times arrive

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

y'all still don't get it. you can use multiple ZIRP juices on a single economy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lmao

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

based

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1720041633213747261?t=_NEES3GzPLcqdJNYcCSppg&s=19

The morning shows also broke the bad news today lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shear Modulus posted:

The money is only for house-havers

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm waiting for the ultimate rug pull where they bring back the "only land owners can vote" thing as a way to do voter suppression against anyone too poor to buy a house.

Apr 7, 2003

poemdexter posted:

I'm waiting for the ultimate rug pull where they bring back the "only land owners can vote" thing as a way to do voter suppression against anyone too poor to buy a house.

That's been making the rounds on the astroturfed-to-poo poo geographic subreddits so you can be sure it's being discussed somewhere upstairs. You know, limiting voting to people with "skin in the game."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

and it seems only right that if you own more land you get a bigger share of the vote

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The most enlightened voting system is one dollar one vote and I won't hear otherwise.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

hope you bought the dip!!!!

dip? in this economy?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol, maybe I will recover my investment someday.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

poemdexter posted:

seems excessive; the "electorate" is already a rapidly shrinking pool of the biggest fascists and the biggest rubes (but i repeat myself, natch). electoralism is currently on an organic trajectory to self-selecting against enfranchisement of the undesirables without needing much in the way of explicit and dramatic intervention

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

The most enlightened voting system is one dollar one vote and I won't hear otherwise.

really streamlines our political corruption process imo, efficiency above all

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

yeah, I don't see a way that ZIRP doesn't come roaring back next president or two.

ZIRP should have died 10+ years ago but the money hose was kept on because no one wanted to be the one responsible for pressing the button that says: 'crash the economy, number goes down, no more DOW UP +10% everyday = President GoodEconomy; destroy VC unicorn tech fartapps that are the reason there's blossoming bespoke axe throwing bars and luxury dog spa; muh house value goes down' until they were absolutely forced to because extremely dire times are on the horizon. so it's now on a mandatory cooldown that not even Feds + Dems can avoid, but the cooldown is there to re-charge the ZIRP potential so they can unleash it again when the truly dire times arrive

zirp can’t come back because we’ve reached the terminal point of that particular monetary contradiction. there is so much fictitious capital chasing so little productive investment that there’s no outlet for further lending other than the stock market and real estate, which is also at a critical point. the only way forward is the kind of neoliberal military command economy that we’re currently living under. the truly dire has already arrived. there’s no going back

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
We're definitely going to try though

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pussy Quipped posted:

talking to the few people I know who have bought homes in the last year, every single one of them will be paying more in interest than principle over the 30 years. They all assume that they are going to just refinance in a year or two with a lower rate.
j-pow: pump eet

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
does this thread keep showing the same final page on different days for anyone else, or do i live in groundhog day

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Centrist Committee posted:

zirp can’t come back because we’ve reached the terminal point of that particular monetary contradiction. there is so much fictitious capital chasing so little productive investment that there’s no outlet for further lending other than the stock market and real estate, which is also at a critical point. the only way forward is the kind of neoliberal military command economy that we’re currently living under. the truly dire has already arrived. there’s no going back
I don't disagree per se. it's a political appeasement tool to the shareholder class and peons and much less as an actual 'fix the economy' tool, which it is not.

but this anyways:

Nothus posted:

We're definitely going to try though

it's like saying that draining the SPR to keep gas prices low in the midwest is a fools errand since we have to refill it and will eventually run out. doesn't mean we won't do that

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Nov 2, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They recently changed the rules so that only cash given by parents counts as a gift for the purposes of calculating the downpayment. A down payment gift letter that legally confirms the gifted down payment is required by the bank to ensure all your bases are covered and that the gift is valid.

Previously, a gifted down payment was a large financial gift offered by a first-time homebuyer’s family members - grandparents, aunts or uncles, any member of an individual’s family were eligible to gift money for a down payment in Canada.

5% down is required to purchase your first house. However, most banks suggest putting 20% down because mortgage insurance is required when the down payment is less than 20%. Suppose you can afford to put down 5% and your extended family give you the remaining 15% as a gift, bringing your total to the preferred 20%. Your mortgage payment is now less each month, and you pay less in mortgage insurance.

Okay, so - why did they decide to limit this to parents only? Don't they want more people reaching out to extended family or whatever?

My immediate thought is that this is a way to prevent more foreigners from buying houses, since they have closer extended families and everything, bring in relatives on visas, but it's a Liberal government in power and this seems like it alienates their bases of Toronto suburb immigrants.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/elerianm/status/1720159635800498294?t=kG_VtYGe8dTf7gAGT8wZBg&s=19

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

5% down is required to purchase your first house. However, most banks suggest putting 20% down because mortgage insurance is required when the down payment is less than 20%.
mortgage insurance is like the cheapest type of insurance that exists - "give us an extra $80,000 up front so you dont have to pay $80 a month or dont buy a house at all" is such bullshit advice.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Car Hater posted:

nah you can't educate stupid out of us, we're too good at it.

yes.

Car Hater posted:

Society has always been doomed

no.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

shrike82 posted:

anyone who bought a house over the past 15 years got to get a mortgage around 3% so the angst is pretty much limited to people who have decided to buy after the interest rate hikes

What about people tha can't buy because private equity decided to become massive landlords?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i79Xk4YSsyk

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Remember how they got rid of defined benefit pensions and replaced them with the 401K, shifting retirement investment risk onto employees? I guess the new thing now at least at IBM is a "Retirement Benefit Account."

The employer doesn't actually pay the employee anything at first. They just put an IOU in an account and peg growth to treasury bonds. The employee isn't actually able to access the funds until they leave the company.

And because the money is not held in a trust or anything, it's just a liability on the company's balance sheet. So if the company goes tits up there goes your retirement benefit. Can't wait to see these trickle down to other places.

This is genius. We all know big companies never had any previous problems with their pension obligations that were made up of smoke and mirror accounting.

And here, instead of monthly payments that will go away when the pensioner passes away, these will be single lump sums due at employee severance. Probably not huge, but if this program sticks around awhile, can (and will) bite them in the rear end when they have a large layoff event.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

world of warcraft players figured this out a decade ago.

one dollar = one vote, and then after the election the total spent dollars get distributed evenly amongst the voters

Apr 7, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

5% down is required to purchase your first house. However, most banks suggest putting 20% down because mortgage insurance is required when the down payment is less than 20%. Suppose you can afford to put down 5% and your extended family give you the remaining 15% as a gift, bringing your total to the preferred 20%. Your mortgage payment is now less each month, and you pay less in mortgage insurance.

my mortgage insurance is $39.50 a month, I'm fine with paying that and keeping the 15%

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

yeah but you can just refinance if they do

Refinancing fees include a couple % of the loan balance in closing costs. Considering how much money it costs these days to buy a freaking house, that's potentially a lot of money even if you roll the closing costs into the balance. It will take years worth of savings to catch up on what you had to pay if you roll it into the loan.

ARM may in fact be cheaper depending on what happens with rates, but yeah there are a lot of people who are buying a house and gambling they can hang on beyond their means until rates lower and they stop drowning. Assuming they don't just end up losing everything, they could always refinance into a fixed rate to lock in whenever the rates come back down, however long that takes.

It's a generally terrible position to be in and realistically the best way to buy a house these days is to pay cash for most/all of it, which is what everyone is doing wherever possible. Problem is you have to either be rich or enough equity from an existing home to make it affordable. If you aren't one of these things, you're hosed. Institutional investors can of course just buy it with cash and slap real estate on the asset side of balance sheet. I can only be thankful that I managed to barely afford getting into a house in 2019 before it went totally out of control. At this point it's essentially out of reach in most places for a huge percentage of the populace.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

same

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

From hero to zero: is this really Marvel’s endgame?

apparently marvel / MCU is dead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
don't care about developmentally-stunted manchild entertainment

give me more real entertainment, like alan wake 3 instead

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted: