Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Clubs, with their buff to the stagger on weak point slaps, can stagger monstrosities indefinitely if you time it correctly. I've been making Plague Ogryns look like absolute chumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JX1zbV5BA&t=1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

DogsInSpace! posted:

On good news: the heavy laspistol has become my weapon of choice for my zealot. Yeah it’s not super powerful but it’s accurate, no kick and tons of ammo. Since I’m using my eviscerator 99% of the time it’s perfect for those elites out of knife range and, best of all, I almost never need ammo. Will easily pop the odd sniper or flamer tho. Love this pistol as the revolver felt too easy and low ammo count meant I’m competing with the rest of the guys for ammunition. Now I just milk what I have and give the rest a knife or the Emperor’s redemptive saw. Really nice choice so thank you.

Speaking of Zealot: I’m going chant and knife throw but anyone got a fave similar build they use? Definitely laughing at cross play as I’ve seen a ton of combat knife zealots and plasma vets in games. Also waaay too many gun ogryns. No way I’m giving up my eviscerator as I love this weapon. Not even thunder hammer is as satisfying. Wish I could take flamer but the randos I team with love to ignore snipers. So anyone got a cool build? Thinking of damage with missing wounds but you guys know more than myself. Caveat: I play on Xbox
I've been going with something like this for a crit-focused build, though it's fairly flexible since you can also go throwing daggers (dropping Restoring Faith) and/or go through the middle if you prefer Chorus. This sort of build works great with the laspistol regardless since it has a high finesse multiplier, so it deals a ton of extra damage on crits/headshots.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rolled a pretty sick las pistol. What's the hotness on blessings? It's on my psyker, so I'm already getting lots of crits, so Infernus seems good.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
I have the one that restores toughness on crit kills, seems like I get good value out of it. I think some people run Ghost also

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Remember for those contracts it isn't just counting your kills but the entire teams kills, run enough games and you'll fill it out from teammates doing their own thing.

Laspistol has improved a lot since release and isn't just the thing you try to avoid as the starting weapon anymore, trying it on gunker over columnus and revolver and it feels better then those.

It's kind of crazy how different the kickback feels compared to the release version just due to numbers, pretty sure the release version was around 400 damage on a point blank meatshot and took multiple shots to kill even the softest specials on damnation, it's damage has been tripled or quadrupled since then and can turn crowds into a red mist from a decent distance away.

And yet after a damnation match with 2300 killed I've only scored 150 ranged kills lol

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Rolled a pretty sick las pistol. What's the hotness on blessings? It's on my psyker, so I'm already getting lots of crits, so Infernus seems good.
I think Dum Dum is always good to have. Not sure about Infernus though even on a crit build, because at least from testing it in the meatgrinder it does like what, 60 damage per tick after a couple crits? Meanwhile the crits themselves do 600+ damage, so I'm thinking Raking Fire is generally going to be better.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Remember for those contracts it isn't just counting your kills but the entire teams kills, run enough games and you'll fill it out from teammates doing their own thing.

The Demilich posted:

And yet after a damnation match with 2300 killed I've only scored 150 ranged kills lol

It counts kills by teammates who are in coherency with you, so that can be awkward for some groups. If a Veteran is in the back sniping dudes with a Helbore while you're diving into enemy shooters, you may be too far to share each others' kills.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Whats the good blessings for lasguns and the helbore? I wish there was a guide to other classes as comprehensive as the ogrynomicon.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

For both of infantry lasguns and laspistol, I absolutely swear by Ghost. Turns a scattered room of 6 gunners, a reaper, and 15 traitor guardsman into a cakewalk, headclick one of them and casually proceed to steadily work your way through with headshots. You also can't get suppressed while safe from ghost.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I feel like a lot of the problems with keeping teammates in Coherency would be solved if we had some kind of visual cue for it, surprised there isn't a mod for that kind of thing actually

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Magitek posted:

It counts kills by teammates who are in coherency with you, so that can be awkward for some groups. If a Veteran is in the back sniping dudes with a Helbore while you're diving into enemy shooters, you may be too far to share each others' kills.

Ah, that makes sense

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

drrockso20 posted:

I feel like a lot of the problems with keeping teammates in Coherency would be solved if we had some kind of visual cue for it, surprised there isn't a mod for that kind of thing actually

being out of coherency for a long period should slowly make your vision less and less clear until it eventually blinds you. I just dunno how they'd get a laser in every player's monitor

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

There's a buff icon for it, showing your coherency number, but to be fair, it is a small icon at the bottom of your screen.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Legit Businessman posted:

There's a buff icon for it, showing your coherency number, but to be fair, it is a small icon at the bottom of your screen.

I should honestly look into if a mod exists that makes those icons bigger.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The worst thing about coherency is it can allow faster teammates to just let a slower one get loving melted the second a shiny object distracts them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Legit Businessman posted:

In the beta there was an icon next to the name of each teammate you were currently in coherency with. It was easier to read and I’m not sure why they changed it

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I should honestly look into if a mod exists that makes those icons bigger.

Custom HUD does it I think. And I think there is a mod related to buff icons that may scale that element of the ui up.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My Autopistol rolled a tier IV Powderburn blessing, which seems really good on a bullet hose like this. What is a good blessing to pair with this? The other one is Speedload II which could really be better.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Reiley posted:

My Autopistol rolled a tier IV Powderburn blessing, which seems really good on a bullet hose like this. What is a good blessing to pair with this? The other one is Speedload II which could really be better.

Pinning Fire is the Autopistol's best blessing as it has such high stagger damage. It'll pretty much stack instantly against anything besides Ogryn, Bosses, Maulers and Mutants.
Additionally, Combat Abilities that cause stagger/suppresion while the weapon is out can also contribute to the PF stacks. So Vet Shout, Vet Stealth, Psyker Shout, and Zealot charge.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

drrockso20 posted:

There's a skull icon to the right of the names/health bars of the teammates you're in coherency with - this is easy to see when the Loner Zealot runs off and doesn't have a skull next to them.

There's also the buff number at the bottom as mentioned and that only goes 1-4 and doesn't say who so I like looking for the skulls better.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Las Pistol feels absolutely insane, but also less viscerally gratifying than the revolver. Being able to waste a shot on random walkers is great and you can cut down armored guys stupid quick, reload is lightning fast, but I don't know that anything can match a loud BANG and a disabler is gone in one hit.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Reiley posted:

Is how far you slide affected by how fast you're running or is it a fixed distance? It feels like speed affects slide but it's hard to tell for sure in first person.

It used to be affected by how fast you were running but they changed it to fixed distance to stop some people from doing some silly shenanigans. This ends up meaning it's a actually faster to slide when carrying an item when you're out of stamina though.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

There's a skull icon to the right of the names/health bars of the teammates you're in coherency with - this is easy to see when the Loner Zealot runs off and doesn't have a skull next to them.

There's also the buff number at the bottom as mentioned and that only goes 1-4 and doesn't say who so I like looking for the skulls better.

I've played for 140 hours and didn't know about the skull. It needs to be more visible, to the degree that you can't miss it. Coherence is a vital, necessary thing to understand and the UI does zero favors in emphasizing that, to the point where I get pugs in 4s who had no idea it was a mechanic outside of the class bonuses

Yes, mods fix it, yes, the indicators exist on screen - none of it is sufficient for such an important, central mechanic

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there something coherency gives you other than the class bonuses and any other talents that proc on coherency? I mean I know you don't get toughness regen as a baseline when you're not in coherency. But is there something else I'm missing?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Nope, just those three huge bonuses with a wide range of positive effects

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Is there something coherency gives you other than the class bonuses and any other talents that proc on coherency? I mean I know you don't get toughness regen as a baseline when you're not in coherency. But is there something else I'm missing?

I'm very codependent and need at least three friends next to me all the time to feel safe

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I'm probably only imagining this but I feel like pox hounds or trappers have a greater chance of spawning in to specifically go after someone far off and not in coherency.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

One thing that's not immediately apparent about the toughness regen is it scales with the number of folks in coherency so 4 people in coherency are regenerating twice as fast as 2 people so if you notice things breaking down when people split off into groups of 2+2 that's why

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I'm probably only imagining this but I feel like pox hounds or trappers have a greater chance of spawning in to specifically go after someone far off and not in coherency.

They do this in vermintide so id guess it happens here too.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It absolutely does work that way - being alone prompts the game to kill you, specifically.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It explicitly happened as far back as Left 4 Dead. In the developer commentary they would talk about how the director would pop extra hunters and smokers when people were separate, and (iirc) more chargers and spitters and boomers when they were together. It would not surprise me at all if every horde shooter that came after adopted that technology.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When you carry people through High Intensity Damnation with 6 rescues from capture and 15 pickups, the game should force the rest of the group to acknowledge your carry. They should have to click a box. They should have to e-sign through Acrobat.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

In terms of overall team healing, just one person leaving coherency reduces the regen by %44 (from 4x4 to 3x3 + 1x0).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm very codependent and need at least three friends next to me all the time to feel safe
this is fair

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When you carry people through High Intensity Damnation with 6 rescues from capture and 15 pickups, the game should force the rest of the group to acknowledge your carry. They should have to click a box. They should have to e-sign through Acrobat.
this is a funny idea, get on it fatshark

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Nehru the Damaja posted:

if I carry you through a game like this, you should need my cosign to take out a loan

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I play games because they're fun and I enjoy a challenge, not to be acknowledged by others. Someone complimenting me on good play is just a nice bonus.

hth

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Ogryn offering the Spark'Ead to be an honorary Ogryn is all the praise my Psyker needs

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I like how a group of all veterans will snipe at each other, but a mixed veteran/ogryn group is just one joyful murder machine of affirmation.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

I play games because they're fun and I enjoy a challenge, not to be acknowledged by others. Someone complimenting me on good play is just a nice bonus.

hth

Also they should have to tithe 10% of their plasteel for a week.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Also they should have to tithe 10% of their plasteel for a week.

I can be persuaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Benagain posted:

I like how a group of all veterans will snipe at each other, but a mixed veteran/ogryn group is just one joyful murder machine of affirmation.

A group of all psykers will just constantly smug back and forth to each other or over-praise each other… unless you have both a male and a female Loner voice psyker, in which case they will bicker like children.