Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think they changed it so you don't get wagons coming to your site for the first few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

More specifically, the requirements for wagons is being made a barony. So you have to accept uppity nobles if you want to do more trade.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The big wagons require you to be a official vassal of the realm aka have a noble now.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Wagons skipped me for a while because they couldn't pass my trap corridor, passing by my map with a notice that they couldn't arrive and only bringing in what the merchants could carry on their beasts of burden. According to the wiki it's too late to try and open up once the merchants arrive and you get the notice that the wagons couldn't reach you.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Ah, you know, they didn’t bring wagons in just the broker and the oxen or whatever. I guess that makes a lot more sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had a caravan go into a constant unloading spiral until they left. I think it's because the heat melted their cheese. Whoops!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

junan_paalla posted:

Wagons skipped me for a while because they couldn't pass my trap corridor, passing by my map with a notice that they couldn't arrive and only bringing in what the merchants could carry on their beasts of burden. According to the wiki it's too late to try and open up once the merchants arrive and you get the notice that the wagons couldn't reach you.
:hmmyes: The trick here is to put the trap corridor and ways to seal off the fort entirely behind the depot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zereth posted:

:hmmyes: The trick here is to put the trap corridor and ways to seal off the fort entirely behind the depot.

Yeah traders are your first line of defense if they have bad timing.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Zereth posted:

They just picked whatever was "closest" by the item-finding pathfinder when you selected it, same as if you'd just picked the top *math* 1,681 blocks in the menu.

The reason for the stripey LEGO look is that I used DF hack to limit the material to blocks, and those are made in batches of four, and then the floor is built in columns, so the batch turns into a vertical stripe. And since I didn't select for material, the mason just churned out blocks presumably based on the logic you describe.

On the topic of traders, I tend to have the depot behind the barracks. Just feels better to have trade goods, haulers and the esteemed raw material delivery folks hiding behind the steel clad murder machines, rather than the other way around.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 4, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can I pause, enable the use of an economic ore like Malachite, set up an order in the manager section, then disable the economic ore and whatever I queued up will still get built, or do I need to keep it enabled until it's built? I want to build floors with Malachite but I don't want any crafters to use it to build whatever other poo poo is in the queue.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Can I pause, enable the use of an economic ore like Malachite, set up an order in the manager section, then disable the economic ore and whatever I queued up will still get built, or do I need to keep it enabled until it's built? I want to build floors with Malachite but I don't want any crafters to use it to build whatever other poo poo is in the queue.

To my knowledge, this should work. Note that doing it this way will not be as good as using malachite blocks. The value will be lower, and you'll use up way more malachite. You might have better results plopping down a stoneworker's workshop in a pile of malachite with blocks on repeat for a while, accepting that some extra will be used in crafts but your final usage will be lower.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gnoman posted:

To my knowledge, this should work. Note that doing it this way will not be as good as using malachite blocks. The value will be lower, and you'll use up way more malachite. You might have better results plopping down a stoneworker's workshop in a pile of malachite with blocks on repeat for a while, accepting that some extra will be used in crafts but your final usage will be lower.

If I put the stockpile far away from the regular crafting area, that would probably be enough, I bet.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Just make a stockpile of malachite chunks, link it to a stonemason with the order for cutting however many blocks you need. No wasteage.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

You can get fine-grained control over material usage by linking every workshop to a stockpile. Link the other crafters and masons on a stone stockpile that has malachite turned off, create a separate mason linked to a malachite-only stockpile, turn the normal orders off for that stockpile.

This is also more efficient for the time of your dworfs, because stone is one of the few things that's worth using wheelbarrows for, and that way you can have random nobodies haul stone right next to the workshops that need it using wheelbarrows instead of having to waste the time of the valuable crafters for hauling stone.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tuna-Fish posted:

You can get fine-grained control over material usage by linking every workshop to a stockpile. Link the other crafters and masons on a stone stockpile that has malachite turned off, create a separate mason linked to a malachite-only stockpile, turn the normal orders off for that stockpile.

This is also more efficient for the time of your dworfs, because stone is one of the few things that's worth using wheelbarrows for, and that way you can have random nobodies haul stone right next to the workshops that need it using wheelbarrows instead of having to waste the time of the valuable crafters for hauling stone.
One hiccup I kept encountering here- Linked workshops will only take from linked stockpiles, so if you have a job that requires accessing two stockpiles, like decorating finished goods with copper studs, you need to link both stockpiles to the workshop that will do the job.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Forgot to bury my deceased Fisherdwarf properly, who went insane after not getting the materials for his fey mood. Came back as a ghost and battered a child to death. This game...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Seeing as theres minecarts im suprised theres not a way to build Lift elevators to haul rock up and down.
Mechanisms and rope for the pulleys, and maybe a minecart can be the lift bin

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hihohe posted:

Seeing as theres minecarts im suprised theres not a way to build Lift elevators to haul rock up and down.
Mechanisms and rope for the pulleys, and maybe a minecart can be the lift bin

Honestly, some sort of elevator for mineshafts would be really dorfy and very in the spirit of this game, I think. You've already got the base mechanics for it via the well. With a well, you have a top level structure that uses a rope and a bucket, which lowers the the bucket via the rope down a shaft and back up. I could see it as digging a shaft out, designating a zone as the elevator platform, building a floor with track in that zone at the bottom, building a thing on the top level that's got a pulley and rope, and then one mechanism links the pulley to the floor section, and another links it to a lever or pressure plate. As-installed, a dwarf would be required to hand crank it like a screw pump, but you could connect it to a rotating shaft to make it move automatically on trigger. Finally, some options to set timing and add additional floors for stops, and you're good to go.

Hell, I could see it working for multiple floors via menu setting fuckery. Some sort of like, "when a minecart enters the platform and it contains gold, go to > floor 3. When a dwarf enters the platform, go to > floor 5", etc etc etc.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

frytechnician posted:

Forgot to bury my deceased Fisherdwarf properly, who went insane after not getting the materials for his fey mood. Came back as a ghost and battered a child to death. This game...

Nothing is more dangerous than child Dwarfs, so who can say if this was good or bad.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Heck of a mechanism. Shame it's not magma-safe.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You want that mechanism in the hall were it can be admired anyway, not down some magma pit.

Using it as a level in the hall might also stop it being stolen, probably.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Yep. Any furniture artifacts should be built in your dining hall/tavern. Dwarves get happy thoughts when they see them, and unlike artifacts in display cases, they cannot be stolen.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't even opened the tavern up to the world because I don't want to deal with people constantly petitioning me to live there.

How do I solve the problem of militia getting attached to and naming their iron gear? I have steel but they refuse to swap. Take them off duty and melt the item?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Griddle of Love posted:

The reason for the stripey LEGO look is that I used DF hack to limit the material to blocks, and those are made in batches of four, and then the floor is built in columns, so the batch turns into a vertical stripe. And since I didn't select for material, the mason just churned out blocks presumably based on the logic you describe.

On the topic of traders, I tend to have the depot behind the barracks. Just feels better to have trade goods, haulers and the esteemed raw material delivery folks hiding behind the steel clad murder machines, rather than the other way around.

I do similar, except the it's the archery range and is beside/around the depot, behind a wall of fortifications. That way the archers can shoot anything that gets that far while being prevented from running out to try to melee.

The melee training barracks is a little farther in behind the impenetrable hatch airlock. If we go into lockdown the depot is technically "outside" the fort. A bridge in front of the depot can seal it off from the outside, but bridges are fiddly and it takes time to get someone to pull the drat lever, so I prefer hatches for the real entrance, and I don't think wagons can navigate hatches.

Zereth posted:

You can do a modified trap corridor leading in. The corridor is 5 wide with traps along the edges. As long as there is always a 3 wide area clear the wagons can trundle along navigating around the traps. Invaders will take the shortest route and walk into the traps.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't even opened the tavern up to the world because I don't want to deal with people constantly petitioning me to live there.

How do I solve the problem of militia getting attached to and naming their iron gear? I have steel but they refuse to swap. Take them off duty and melt the item?

You can force them to wear a uniform that only allows steel, and you can maybe just refresh their equips in the equip screen, and they might go and grab better stuff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

You can force them to wear a uniform that only allows steel, and you can maybe just refresh their equips in the equip screen, and they might go and grab better stuff.

Yeah I set up a custom armor set with just steel and assigned it but some of them are still using their iron shields.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well a steel shield isn't noticeably better than an iron shield anyway. And you should probably be using wood, for the weight savings.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Metal shields offer no protective advantage over wood, but shield bashes with them are much more effective. This is most important against undead, especially if the squad is armed with spears, because those are really not very effective against most forms of undead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm really enjoying my current fort but the embark I chose means I never have sieges or any non-dwarf traders so it's kinda very easy.

Guess I'll roll a new world again??

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm really enjoying my current fort but the embark I chose means I never have sieges or any non-dwarf traders so it's kinda very easy.

You can check what civilizations can find the site during embark. I think your native civilization can always find you somehow even if you're on an isolated island or something, but nobody else will be able to. It's still possible to be too far way even if there's a land connection, as well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sucks for this guy.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Depends if he’s a vampire I suppose. Might be living the undead dwarf king dream.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My most recent wave of migrants had ten Animal Caretakers, who immediately demanded a guildhall.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My most recent wave of migrants had ten Animal Caretakers, who immediately demanded a guildhall.

This is great, perfect dwarf behavior.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Admiral Joeslop posted:

An alternative is to retire/abandon your fort then make a new one in a better part of the world with the same civilization. Your existing nicely trained dwarfs will trickle in as new immigrants so you won't have so many useless fish cleaners to deal with and building will go faster. There is a small downside that anydwarf who has already made an artifact can't make a new one. It is also possible for maimed guys to show up, but if your fort is too safe you probably don't have many of those anyway.

:siren: Caution: Disband all the squads before leaving the old fort. :siren:

I had guys migrate to my new fort without leaving their old squads. Which I didn't notice. Eventually I had 5 unhappy naked dwarfs running around embarrassed about being naked who refused to get dressed no matter how many clothes I had made. What is up with these little assholes?

I think the conflict was because their old squad had "uniform replaces clothing" but they didn't bring their old steel uniforms and couldn't pick up new uniform pieces at their new fort because they weren't in the military here. I include cloaks and robes in my uniforms specifically to avoid naked soldiers, but they wouldn't wear anything. I couldn't control or disband the old squads. I fixed it by conscripting them into new squads, but that required being very attentive every time I got new migrants so another angry nudist wouldn't sneak in.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wish that happened more often, like dwarven Quakers escaping the homeland to infest your fort

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
my itch to for dorfs has come back, did any cool new mods come out recently? I need to think of a cool new fort idea, making all that glass for my last one was rough.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Dwarf fortress, but that required being very attentive every time I got new migrants so another angry nudist wouldn't sneak in…

That’s fantastic.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How do I see my fortress injuries? I have a chief medical Dwarf, a doctor, and a diagnostician all assigned but can't find the screen that lists injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I made a grave error in trying to make a world with 300 civilizations, the game did not appreciate that.