Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

imo, its a game that you play for the atmosphere and narrative rather than the combat. The combat is just there. I played halfway through on Normal then just switched to Easy. Just depends on if you wanna engage in managing supplies and/or Shooting Accurately in Combat

Holy poo poo, I had forgotten that was even an option. Definitely doing that the next time I play, since I was just thinking that the story owns but the combat in Alan's chapters is just at best merely OK and often downright annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

imo, its a game that you play for the atmosphere and narrative rather than the combat. The combat is just there. I played halfway through on Normal then just switched to Easy. Just depends on if you wanna engage in managing supplies and/or Shooting Accurately in Combat

Ok. I am fine with that. I was just curious because 1 was all over the place with that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

iirc they only suggest that in their first encounter, and it's implied that the story is still rattling their brains so they're going back and forth on what's actually real. tor in his mind place profiling makes it a lot clearer that he drove freya away from her hometown when saga was too young to remember it. the story's trying to enforce a tragic parallel where saga returned to the place of her birth only to lose the thing she cherished most and become totally unmoored by it - classic horror-protagonist fare - but it's running up against the factual contradictions of her established history there and has trouble taking effect

Saga's family stuff: They actually don't say that she did. And their reaction is one of seeing her for the first time since she was a baby, introducing themselves and their relationship to her. As far as I can tell, Tor and Odin never say anything untrue to Saga, she just didn't know about her mother's family so she writes it off as part of Scratch's story initially until she gets more evidence and eventually when she realises that trying to connect to Odin via the Mind Place doesn't just give her passive insight but she can have a direct conversation with him she starts to believe

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Okay so I'm not usually into horror , but I like paranormal stuff like SCP and control, and due to raving reviews I've decided that while I don't want to play AW2, I still wanna watch a playthrough after watching a summary of the first. I watched the first 2 hours, then decided to replay control a bit, and now went back to watching the playthrough.

Holy poo poo the player just met Ahti literally 5 minutes after me meeting him him in control. It's blowing my mind a bit. The shared universe stuff is way more in depth than I suspected, this loving rules (don't read if you haven't played control or AW2 or want to go in completely blind)

I'm so glad I decided to jump over my shadow and give this a try, this is incredible.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
I replayed American Nightmare last night, and I had forgotten that the Night Springs narrator refers to Alan as the Champion of Light and Scratch as the Herald of Darkness.

Also, re: when AW2 takes place in relation to Control: remember at the end of the AWE DLC, Langston says the alarm from Cauldron Lake is dated a couple years in the future.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arkannoyed posted:

I replayed American Nightmare last night, and I had forgotten that the Night Springs narrator refers to Alan as the Champion of Light and Scratch as the Herald of Darkness.

Also, re: when AW2 takes place in relation to Control: remember at the end of the AWE DLC, Langston says the alarm from Cauldron Lake is dated a couple years in the future.

Also in the hotel chapter for Alan's side, apparently in addition to the flashes of Darling, there's also some audio from Jesse, possibly implying that section is taking place at the same 'time' as the AWE expansion, given Zane's involvement there

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The hotel chapter is after AWE, because they are both dressed like Alan Wake 1 Alan and not two different dudes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay can someone tell me if i did this wrong? i wrapped Local Girl with Saga and saved right before i went back to bright falls. which kicked off the attack on the hotel with alan and casey called...No Chance i think it was. so i loaded the previous save and did We Sing (which was hilarious and amazing and i loved it btw) which right into Initiation 5 Room 665.. is this the right order? am i supposed to be doing this part before going back and starting No Chance or is Room 665 after that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

site posted:

okay can someone tell me if i did this wrong? i wrapped Local Girl with Saga and saved right before i went back to bright falls. which kicked off the attack on the hotel with alan and casey called...No Chance i think it was. so i loaded the previous save and did We Sing (which was hilarious and amazing and i loved it btw) which right into Initiation 5 Room 665.. is this the right order? am i supposed to be doing this part before going back and starting No Chance or is Room 665 after that?

you can do alan's or saga's sections in either order. there's a part where the game's going to hard-stop you and make you finish up one before you can go back to the other but i just alternated every chapter with no issue

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My new theory is Alan has been writing Alex Casey books basically the past decade, and that's why everyone is on his rear end to get back to work on initiation & departure.

It also explains why The Dark Place is extremely hardboiled

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There’s some good environmental storytelling. In the basement of the rest home, there’s a note accusing Ahti of stealing all the electrical fuses. I get into Cynthia Weaver’s room and find a whole box of them. :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

There’s some good environmental storytelling. In the basement of the rest home, there’s a note accusing Ahti of stealing all the electrical fuses. I get into Cynthia Weaver’s room and find a whole box of them. :v:

Of course he wouldn't, the janitor keeps things working, perkele...

EDIT:On a different note, I'm retroactively a little bummed that Ikka Villi wasn't able to do the voice for Alan in the first place. His lines as Zane in this one barely have any trace of a Finnish accent so it's not like he can't play American. Poretta's phenomenal in every role Lake gives him, and it's cool they found a way to let Villi give a full performance, it's just a shame it took this long.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 3, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I decided to play through the game in the default chapter order it presented me, but decided to take a quick look at how the character switching mechanic worked first once it came up. Of course Alan's chapter turned out to be WE SING, and I instantly gave up on my plan. What a game :rock:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Either I bugged the game or I just can’t figure it out. I’m looking for the Old Gods record. I got to the point where I got inside of Cynthia’s room. I’ve checked everything in the room and done everything I can in the Mind Place. The record is nowhere to be found. I check some walkthroughs which say it’s in her bath tub. I don’t see a prompt or anything about it. I found one video which shows that the info is obtained by profiling Cynthia. I don’t have her profile photo so I can’t profile her. Doing an online search for this is useless because the SEO brings up something else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Have you gone into the Old Gods room?

EDIT: I'm reading some stuff suggesting that NG+ is going to add more narrative content? It's not a loop, it's a spiral

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The man in black fled across the pacific northwest, and the writer followed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The man in black fled across the pacific northwest, and the writer followed.

It feels stupid now not to realise that Lake's Stephen King nods in the Wake games are as much to the Dark Tower as to the Shining and it's ilk.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, the only interactables are some old newspaper clippings and the broken record frame on the ground, which prompted the whole power outage ordeal. I got that taken care of and everything.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Have you gone to the Mind place (tm) for your puzzle solving needs?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gaz-L posted:

It feels stupid now not to realise that Lake's Stephen King nods in the Wake games are as much to the Dark Tower as to the Shining and it's ilk.

Stephen King are the first words in Alan Wake

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, the only interactables are some old newspaper clippings and the broken record frame on the ground, which prompted the whole power outage ordeal. I got that taken care of and everything.

this might sound very stupid, but did you flashlight boost the darkness cloud protecting the record? I remember there being one there

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Issaries posted:

Have you gone to the Mind place (tm) for your puzzle solving needs?

Yeah. I’ve exhausted everything there.

I found a video walkthrough. The Cynthia profile got added when finding the broken record frame on the floor in the museum. It didn’t do that for me! Bug confirmed, I can’t continue the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

this might sound very stupid, but did you flashlight boost the darkness cloud protecting the record? I remember there being one there

There’s no darkness cloud there for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Stephen King are the first words in Alan Wake

Yes, but I think people hear that and go 'oh, it will be spooky game' not 'oh poo poo, metafiction where the writer is literally a character in the story'.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'm doing the hotel section for Alan and the game is just way too easy on Normal. Resources are so abundant and I barely have to engage with things like my flashbangs, flares or even use the shotgun given that I have abundant pistols and battery ammo and that's enough to handle everything

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm doing the hotel section for Alan and the game is just way too easy on Normal. Resources are so abundant and I barely have to engage with things like my flashbangs, flares or even use the shotgun given that I have abundant pistols and battery ammo and that's enough to handle everything

Crank up the difficulty, tough guy.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Maybe on a repeat playthrough. I'm inclined to, but I think it's a Goldilocks problem if there's going to be boss fights or later sections where cranking it up makes it irritating

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Maybe on a repeat playthrough. I'm inclined to, but I think it's a Goldilocks problem if there's going to be boss fights or later sections where cranking it up makes it irritating

Cynthia is the only fight that was any problem so far and even then it was only three or four tries on hard, though I'm not done with the game yet. It's fine to add a bit of challenge but I don't think combat is enough of a focus to care, I assume playing normal vs hard is much the same experience.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I started the game on Hard because I wanted the combat to have some bite to it and reading posts like this makes me really glad I did. I haven't really been challenged outside of a few fights where I didn't respect the enemies enough and got killed for it, and Saga's third boss fight which had a bug where the bosses attacks would get me stuck in a loop of standing up and when I actually got her to stand up she wouldn't be able to fire her weapons or switch them for a full minute. In fact the whole Nursing home section was VERY buggy complete with T-posing models and bizarre lighting bugs. Every other section has been fairly stable so far.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Am I misunderstanding something about how Saga's charm to do more damage when undetected works? Since you have to use the flashlight before striking enemies, aren't you always detected?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Am I misunderstanding something about how Saga's charm to do more damage when undetected works? Since you have to use the flashlight before striking enemies, aren't you always detected?

One of the weapons has a perk that allows it pierce darkness shields, so you could use it to ambush dudes. Honestly though, I ditched that charm because you almost never encounter a single Taken alone. You can alpha strike the first one and then the next two, three of them know you're there so it's pretty meh.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Detective No. 27 posted:

There’s no darkness cloud there for me.

You profiled on it first as well right? Sometimes if you don't do profiling/story-boarding before stuff it doesn't trigger for some dumb reason.

For the record I don't know that that would affect it but it's worth a try. It's a bug otherwise.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow perfect dodging normal Taken attacks is loving impossible. Sekiro had more forgiving timing than this

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

RatHat posted:

Wow perfect dodging normal Taken attacks is loving impossible. Sekiro had more forgiving timing than this

It feels a lot harder to do than Re4make's knife parry, for example.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God man, the live action sequences are just so well made this time around. Ilkka Villi isn't the voice of Alan Wake, but David Harewood is the voice of Mr. Door. Sam Lake voices himself, but not Casey. And so there's this really really smooth mixture of overdubbing and acting directly from the scene and it's awesome. Anyone else forget that Matthew Porretta isn't the face of Alan for a while? I've gotten so used to games with face capture!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Posting here to manifest a real Old Gods of Asgard gig.

There's merch and an album release coming. We need a real gig.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Poets have enough OGoA songs to put together a pretty decent set at this point.

Save Children of the Elder God for the encore for sure.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I've seen them live a couple of times and they never play any of those :(.

SirSamVimes posted:

Save Children of the Elder God for the encore for sure.

Have Ilkka Villi run around the stage as a pyro tech during that.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

It feels a lot harder to do than Re4make's knife parry, for example.

I definitely found RE4R more challenging than this game on standard

But agree doing the perfect timing is tricky. It's usually safer to try and run and shoot than to try and intentionally do this while standing ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The juxtaposition between FBI Casey and Max Payne Dark Place Casey is probably the funniest bit to me, imo. Dude's got some range voice acting.