Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

"HE IS SICK OF IT, HE IS SICK OF YOUR COMPETITIONS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Goddamn banger of an episode. Every new episode of HB just makes me wanna rewatch like at least half the series again immediately.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Super happy to hear Tom Cardy in one of the many musical numbers (man this episode was PACKED.)

If you aren't already familiar I highly recommend checking him out. Catchy and hilarious. Ski-dap bedop.

My favorites are H.Y.C.Y.BH, The Ballad of Smokin Joe Rudeboy, and Perception Check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9kqhzQ-8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7W4dAvZmQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlYFWLUDBQ

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tristesse posted:

Super happy to hear Tom Cardy in one of the many musical numbers (man this episode was PACKED.)

If you aren't already familiar I highly recommend checking him out. Catchy and hilarious. Ski-dap bedop.

My favorites are H.Y.C.Y.BH, The Ballad of Smokin Joe Rudeboy, and Perception Check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9kqhzQ-8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7W4dAvZmQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlYFWLUDBQ

Also the classic :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFokXnCCMf8

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Ok I am sold.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh, so that's where the "blinking in morse code" meme came from.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

God, animators are so cool

I like that Fizz's double ball walk is correct.

you see one ball you would walk "backwards" to go forward. but a 2nd ball on top means you walk "normal".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny that it's mentioned Mammon doesn't even do a proper clown act any more, and the sisters hardly do either; they're basically acrobats, good ones even, who are openly auditioning for the sex symbol role that Fizz has been turned into. Wonder if there's some commentary there.

Both contrast Fizz who is a genuinely passionate and skilled performer and an actual clown who mixes comedy and satire with physical performance and putting a lot of effort, precision and skill into what looks like careless blundering.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny that it's mentioned Mammon doesn't even do a proper clown act any more, and the sisters hardly do either; they're basically acrobats, good ones even, who are openly auditioning for the sex symbol role that Fizz has been turned into. Wonder if there's some commentary there.

Both contrast Fizz who is a genuinely passionate and skilled performer and an actual clown who mixes comedy and satire with physical performance and putting a lot of effort, precision and skill into what looks like careless blundering.

I definitely think it's deliberate. The twins act is good but it's not really a clown act, it's a pop star song. A very good one at that but they're really not doing anything except emphasizing their marketability. Fizz even while telling Mammon to go gently caress himself incorporates TONS of clown stuff into his act. Ironically perfectly fulfilling the role of a jester to take the king down a peg while being funny and entertaining. Also notable how he starts showing off the parts of his body Mammon tries to have covered up while he sings.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I definitely think it's deliberate. The twins act is good but it's not really a clown act, it's a pop star song. A very good one at that but they're really not doing anything except emphasizing their marketability. Fizz even while telling Mammon to go gently caress himself incorporates TONS of clown stuff into his act. Ironically perfectly fulfilling the role of a jester to take the king down a peg while being funny and entertaining. Also notable how he starts showing off the parts of his body Mammon tries to have covered up while he sings.

i also like that Mamon is too loving dumb/self centered to realize the song and act is a direct gently caress YOU to HIM until he is mentioned by name. mammon is fun villian.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i also like that Mamon is too loving dumb/self centered to realize the song and act is a direct gently caress YOU to HIM until he is mentioned by name. mammon is fun villian.

Magnificent villain, very Jack Horner-esque and I love that for him. He's both a goofy rear end in a top hat and a terrifying personal villain for Fizz and Ozzie's plot line. Very good indeed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Magnificent villain, very Jack Horner-esque and I love that for him. He's both a goofy rear end in a top hat and a terrifying personal villain for Fizz and Ozzie's plot line. Very good indeed.

yeah. I think alot of people try to hard to make their villians tragic and empathetic and poo poo which isnt a bad thing but gently caress i love the villian just being a shithead. its why i like alot of the helluva boss villians. Stryker probably has a tragic past but he is preening bigot who is unraveling. Mamon is just a greedy sociopath producer psycho with some sex monster undertones. and stellas is just an rich spoiled abusive piece of poo poo who may or may not cersie her smug brother.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. I think alot of people try to hard to make their villians tragic and empathetic and poo poo which isnt a bad thing but gently caress i love the villian just being a shithead. its why i like alot of the helluva boss villians. Stryker probably has a tragic past but he is preening bigot who is unraveling. Mamon is just a greedy sociopath producer psycho with some sex monster undertones. and stellas is just an rich spoiled abusive piece of poo poo who may or may not cersie her smug brother.

If anything Stella might be dumb enough she's not picking up on the fact her own brother wants to raw dog her. Which honestly it's kind of sad and disturbing that she thinks this is just normal sibling poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

If anything Stella might be dumb enough she's not picking up on the fact her own brother wants to raw dog her. Which honestly it's kind of sad and disturbing that she thinks this is just normal sibling poo poo.

yeah. i genuinly like how she legit doesnt have some master plan and is just chasing whims because she is rich psycho in some large inbred royal family.

honestly alot of Vivs hell kinda reminds me of clive barkers hell, least in a couple of books. he usually paints hell as place that has a lovely horrible society with lots of hosed up violence and poo poo but they are still people/imps/etc. obviously its alot less um concenting and happy then vivs hell, but i see a bunch of cross over. the sequel to hellbound heart and mister b gone specifically.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i genuinly like how she legit doesnt have some master plan and is just chasing whims because she is rich psycho in some large inbred royal family.

honestly alot of Vivs hell kinda reminds me of clive barkers hell, least in a couple of books. he usually paints hell as place that has a lovely horrible society with lots of hosed up violence and poo poo but they are still people/imps/etc. obviously its alot less um concenting and happy then vivs hell, but i see a bunch of cross over. the sequel to hellbound heart and mister b gone specifically.

Yeah the Thief of Always has a lot of characters in it that remind me Viv's most especially The Smiler. He has Alastor vibes out the rear end right down to the permanent grin.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Yeah the Thief of Always has a lot of characters in it that remind me Viv's most especially The Smiler. He has Alastor vibes out the rear end right down to the permanent grin.

yeah, https://twitter.com/SundaySkylar/status/1720116278843568195
its interesting watching people get mad at the show still. I saw a bunch basicaly saying the deaf kid should have been killed because edgy deamon show and bunch of edgy poo poo. I still think alot of folks just wanted a much edgier version of the pilot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lust and Gluttony absolutely fully embrace their sin anyway, it's just that their sins don't have to be "inherently" harmful in the way that Greed is. Asmodeus makes his position pretty drat clear, lust is best experienced when consensual, and even if that was "hypocritical" lust that both are feeling is more lust than just one person so mathematically him encouraging mutual, potentially self-destructive, lust makes perfect sense (he praises Stolas destroying his family for what he sees as lustful after all).

Beelzebub wants people to be gluttonous for the sake of gluttony, to consume purely and for no reason other than they can. Blitzo in that sequence is consuming to escape, not just for the sake of it. He's not "gluttonous" he's depressed.

To an extent Lustful for the sake of Lust (not to harm/hurt/break) and gluttonous for the sake of gluttony (not to distract/numb/self-immolate) are easier to bend towards a somewhat positive character than greed for the sake of greed.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 2, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wonder if we'll eventually see all the sins (besides Lucifer) in Helluva Boss. We've only seen three, we haven't seen Sloth, Wrath or Envy yet. We haven't seen Envy the place at all though outside of a few of the fish demons

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Macaluso posted:

I wonder if we'll eventually see all the sins (besides Lucifer) in Helluva Boss. We've only seen three, we haven't seen Sloth, Wrath or Envy yet. We haven't seen Envy the place at all though outside of a few of the fish demons

We know some stuff, Leviathan of Envy is meant to be more, traditional, looking (so giant sea monster). Belphegor of Sloth is a lady, and friendly with Beelzebub, Satan is a beefy hunk and probably will look like a traditional big red demon with goat legs and muscled pecs.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I can't get over how good Happy Day in Hell is. :allears: Really, makes me even more excited to hear all the future songs between Hazbin/Helluva.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

I can't get over how good Happy Day in Hell is. :allears: Really, makes me even more excited to hear all the future songs between Hazbin/Helluva.

I am surprised they havent released a SEASON 1 helluvaboss songs sung by the cast. they have sam haft version but its just him seeing it and while he is a talented creator, he can't sing some of them for poo poo. i guess i want an offcial OST.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, https://twitter.com/SundaySkylar/status/1720116278843568195
its interesting watching people get mad at the show still. I saw a bunch basicaly saying the deaf kid should have been killed because edgy deamon show and bunch of edgy poo poo. I still think alot of folks just wanted a much edgier version of the pilot.

I dunno if this is a controversial statement or not but I think the Helluva boss pilot is literally gently caress awful. It really was just an absolute cringefest of gently caress words, ugly sexual stereotypes and violence. That they moved past it and actually got some emotional weight, character development, banger songs and loving gorgeous animation in additon to the raunchier bits is to their credit. Also this pedantic bullshit over the sins is exhausting. I LIKE that some of the sins are actually kind of sweet while representing their particular vice. So we have two relatively good ones so far and Mammon who's as evil as it gets. It leaves the door open for a lot more interpretations. I could see Belphegor as being more disinterested/ neutral towards any drama going on because it takes too much energy to invest in it, Leviathan being an absolute loathsome poo poo bird because they envy their fellow sins, and Satan having a hot temper but is basically just a meathead without any majorly nasty ambitions. Lucifer I think is probably going to be a mix of traditionally evil mixed with his actual concern for his family. So some sins are gonna be shitdicks, some are just neutral, and some are actually nice. I think that's an interesting mix and keeps things moving. Straight up it'd be boring if they all were just the same flavor of nasty.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm sure they're working on an OST. I know they have talked about releasing a soundtrack on streams in the past

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Seeing Mammon's banner with the Goetic heraldry makes me wonder if they've shown any of those other sigils in the background before.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

Seeing Mammon's banner with the Goetic heraldry makes me wonder if they've shown any of those other sigils in the background before.

Pretty sure every time a new Sin is introduced their sigil is present somewhere in the room. Ozzie's is on the end of the stage for example.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was expecting Fizz to remove his jester top to show his broken horns at the end considering the rest of his disrobing.

Kind of disappointed.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I was expecting Fizz to remove his jester top to show his broken horns at the end considering the rest of his disrobing.

Kind of disappointed.

Considering how reluctant he was to even show Ozzie the person he loves most I think a massive audience including his abusive boss might've a been a little too much for him. Just because his boyfriend doesn't have a reaction doesn't mean he's not going to get some blowback from a bunch of strangers. And personally knowing he's going to be dealing with a massive PR thing very soon the last thing he probably wants to talk about is his broken horns with the media.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 3, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The worst thing about the pilot is that Moxxie is just a huge rear end in a top hat that seems to hate Blitzo. I'm glad they changed it because I dunno if I could deal with Pilot Moxxie for very long

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I said in the other thread but there's definitely a trend in the more dramatic corners of fandom for hysterical overanalysis and catastrophising about plots and themes while missing the blatantly obvious. And a lot of them assuming any time now there's going to be a twist of Maximum Drama for drama's sake. I think they get this from cutting their teeth on fanfiction and webcomics, which are very prone to sudden jarring tonal lurches and extreme drama mostly because the author is bored, out of ideas and/or got this idea for a cool shocking twist no one sees coming, regardless of what it does to the actual story.

Really, kinda the point of both HB and Hazbin from what I can tell is they start with the characters, if not at their absolute lowest, definitely not in good places- usually in that they're in the process of picking themselves up from rock bottom. Stolas is in a miserable openly hateful marriage that has traumatised his beloved daughter and has caught feelings from a sex-for-services arrangement, with Blitz who has an absolute wreck of a personal life behind him and is trying to get a quite dodgy business as hired assassins off the ground with his adopted daughter who barely tolerates him or anything else, and employing Millie and Moxxie whose marriage, while happy, is clearly still in its early stages and still the first healthy relationship they've probably had in their lives.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I dunno if this is a controversial statement or not but I think the Helluva boss pilot is literally gently caress awful. It really was just an absolute cringefest of gently caress words, ugly sexual stereotypes and violence. That they moved past it and actually got some emotional weight, character development, banger songs and loving gorgeous animation in additon to the raunchier bits is to their credit. Also this pedantic bullshit over the sins is exhausting. I LIKE that some of the sins are actually kind of sweet while representing their particular vice. So we have two relatively good ones so far and Mammon who's as evil as it gets. It leaves the door open for a lot more interpretations. I could see Belphegor as being more disinterested/ neutral towards any drama going on because it takes too much energy to invest in it, Leviathan being an absolute loathsome poo poo bird because they envy their fellow sins, and Satan having a hot temper but is basically just a meathead without any majorly nasty ambitions. Lucifer I think is probably going to be a mix of traditionally evil mixed with his actual concern for his family. So some sins are gonna be shitdicks, some are just neutral, and some are actually nice. I think that's an interesting mix and keeps things moving. Straight up it'd be boring if they all were just the same flavor of nasty.

Its not. the pilot is loving awful and honestly probably why i got into it as late as i did. it has a couple good jokes and lines but its mostly just boring and way meaner then the show itself is. hell id say episode 1 isnt that much better though it gets more of the tone. 2 is where stuff gets interesting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I said in the other thread but there's definitely a trend in the more dramatic corners of fandom for hysterical overanalysis and catastrophising about plots and themes while missing the blatantly obvious. And a lot of them assuming any time now there's going to be a twist of Maximum Drama for drama's sake. I think they get this from cutting their teeth on fanfiction and webcomics, which are very prone to sudden jarring tonal lurches and extreme drama mostly because the author is bored, out of ideas and/or got this idea for a cool shocking twist no one sees coming, regardless of what it does to the actual story.

Really, kinda the point of both HB and Hazbin from what I can tell is they start with the characters, if not at their absolute lowest, definitely not in good places- usually in that they're in the process of picking themselves up from rock bottom. Stolas is in a miserable openly hateful marriage that has traumatised his beloved daughter and has caught feelings from a sex-for-services arrangement, with Blitz who has an absolute wreck of a personal life behind him and is trying to get a quite dodgy business as hired assassins off the ground with his adopted daughter who barely tolerates him or anything else, and employing Millie and Moxxie whose marriage, while happy, is clearly still in its early stages and still the first healthy relationship they've probably had in their lives.

i still think alot of people wanted it to be a hosed up edgy work place/office show and are mad that its weird dramady, mixed with weird kids who think any kinda of showing of negative situations or traits is deeply problamatic and bad.

Macaluso posted:

The worst thing about the pilot is that Moxxie is just a huge rear end in a top hat that seems to hate Blitzo. I'm glad they changed it because I dunno if I could deal with Pilot Moxxie for very long

i mean i sorta get what they were going for. blitzo is x rated michael scott rear end in a top hat boss and moxxie is the straight man in the room, but it doesnt make either likable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Glad I didn't watch the pilot, the dynamic in show is a lot more interesting with Moxxie caught between genuinely respecting Blitzo probably more than he seemingly should (of course, that makes a lot more sense with his backstory) and being the relative voice of reason/conscience.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Glad I didn't watch the pilot, the dynamic in show is a lot more interesting with Moxxie caught between genuinely respecting Blitzo probably more than he seemingly should (of course, that makes a lot more sense with his backstory) and being the relative voice of reason/conscience.

id say the pilot is worth a watch mostly to see what some of the originals ideas were and to see what i think some people want from the show.

plus the jingle is catchy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjVB2BEUdik

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The pilot is a really good example of why traditionally we didn't get to see a show's pilot episode until either people were sure it wouldn't get picked up, or until the show had already established itself.

They tend to be really weak when compared to the show proper, particularly after it's had a few episodes, or even a season or two too refine itself.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pulsarcat posted:

The pilot is a really good example of why traditionally we didn't get to see a show's pilot episode until either people were sure it wouldn't get picked up, or until the show had already established itself.

They tend to be really weak when compared to the show proper, particularly after it's had a few episodes, or even a season or two too refine itself.

The purpose of a pilot is to act as a vehicle to get a bunch of ideas and possible narratives across at once. That's usually a heavy lift so they tend not to be very good by nature.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Perfect example for this; during the last episode there was this absurd theory Fizz immediately cheated on Ozzie with Blitzo on the way back to the Lust ring. Their reasoning? He wiped his mouth when he got back into the room. So CLEARLY he just finished passionately making out with Blitzo of course! So yeah the logic is generally the most insane poo poo you're ever going to see. The fact he was beaten, ran up several flights of stairs and it was three in the loving morning certainly couldn't have anything to do with it. Also dunno if this counts or not but Viv has a tendency to confirm certain things in her twitter likes. The most interesting being Fizz is demisexual, meaning unless he's actually romantically involved with someone he doesn't experience sexual attraction. Adds another level to his discomfort with his fanbase if anything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also that, y'know, the show doesn't tend to be too subtle about those kind of things.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Re-upping this as the pilot was just confirmed as non-canon during the Helluva boss panel. So that explains how a lot of weird character traits got dropped very quickly including how Stolas was supposed to be the main villain of the show. Bryce Pinkman's performance is what convinced the crew to change his role to actual love interest. It's kinda hilarious too because I just saw a post bitching about false advertising about what the pilot offered us and here I am just glad they took the show in a different direction.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I will say that Blitz's feeling that Stolas was only using him for sex has more basis if Stolas's pilot characterization was kept.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's not too late for Stolas to heel turn and become that villain.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I will say that Blitz's feeling that Stolas was only using him for sex has more basis if Stolas's pilot characterization was kept.

Agreed but his patronizing attitude and the backstory already cover that well enough. He had predator vibes in the pilot and Blitzo's distaste for him is implied to be closer to downright terror rather than feeling like he's being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gets more interesting with the vibe that Stolas genuinely has no idea what a healthy relationship looks like and Blitz isn't much better. That said, can kinda see how they had to drop a probably intended plotline to fit in that dynamic, and leaves Stella a bit more one-dimensional from the somewhat justifiably angry wife she'd be otherwise.