Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

why would i waste time with an ai sex toy when i could get dopamine injected straight into my brain by getting a commendation in a ffxiv duty instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the ai sex toy could give a commendation too

but you will never get that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ai sex toy could probably get top 10 dps in an alliance raid

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Noise Complaint posted:

still holding out that by the time im too old and frail to contribute to society they're just gonna brain dump us into an mmo retirement home

That episode of Black Mirror was super cool and very gay.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Indeed.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Ghostcrawler's studio is officially announced now: https://www.polygon.com/23940126/world-of-warcraft-league-of-legends-greg-street-ghostcrawler-new-mmo

I'll bet $100 right now they never ship a game, but I'm excited to see what ideas they share.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Looks vaguely like what Crowfall was originally pitched as, with the shard worlds.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Looking forward to years of hype followed by inevitable disappointment!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

"king of class balance during WoW’s golden era" hmmm is this true? calling all REAL WoW veterans here

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
I thought he was primarily a systems designer.

I think he was just the most vocal of all the devs so people with not a ton of understanding of how dev teams divide up work just assumed he was responsible for whatever was making them mad at the moment.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

frajaq posted:

"king of class balance during WoW’s golden era" hmmm is this true? calling all REAL WoW veterans here

He's the reason mages were overpowered for more than a decade, if you believe the pvp guys.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pryce posted:

Ghostcrawler's studio is officially announced now: https://www.polygon.com/23940126/world-of-warcraft-league-of-legends-greg-street-ghostcrawler-new-mmo

I'll bet $100 right now they never ship a game, but I'm excited to see what ideas they share.

It's already hard to build a AAA MMO with massive publisher support, a large dev team, and using a recognizable IP. Ghostcrawler left Riot, and all of the aforementioned things, to attempt the impossible...

Good luck. I hope to see the concept art in 4 years.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

frajaq posted:

What even is WoW's golden era? I didn't play past vanilla and class balance at that time sucked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kedo posted:

Looking forward to years of hype followed by inevitable disappointment!

They're experienced developers, so I'm sure they'll be able to achieve that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Freakazoid_ posted:

What even is WoW's golden era? I didn't play past vanilla and class balance at that time sucked.

I think it's generally considered to be the WoTLK era.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can probably consider it as "when it hit 5 million subs and until blizzard stopped reporting the number" :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pryce posted:

This game is going to suck, someone quote this in six years when it finally releases if it turns out I’m wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ehud posted:

I think it's generally considered to be the WoTLK era.
wrath was the peak of its subscriber count and also generally when the playerbase was the most happy

though class balance in wrath was a bit wonk. death knights swung all over the place. i guess it was the first time in wow's history that there werent completely useless specs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was already nuts Riot was working on an MMO back when they started and poached him from Blizzard I can't imagine starting working on one now.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

WotLK is when class balance in raids started to settle down and every class had at least one viable spec it could bring to the table.

Arena balance ended up becoming "whoever blows their offensive cool downs in sync first wins" which turned out to not be particularly balanced at all.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Raiding in WOTLK and Rift for the first year after launch were the two best manifestations of the tab target mmo formula

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This game is going to suck, someone quote this in six years when it finally releases if it turns out I’m wrong.

Gonna be wrong but not because it sucks, it's still gonna be vapor in six years and gc will have joined a new studio...

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Freakazoid_ posted:

mists of pandaria was the high point of wow

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

blatman posted:

mists of pandaria was the high point of wow

You might be the first person I've ever seen who shares this opinion with me.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'm on board with that, too. MoP is fantastic.

Dragonflight is the first expansion since that sort of felt to me like MoP, one of the main reasons I think it's a v good expansion.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

If you really think WotLK was the best you could go play it right now on the classic servers. It, uh ... you might change your mind.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's probably the nostalgia talking, but I am really appreciating playing FFXI 75 cap on a private server. But there's something wrong with me for sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

aw frig aw dang it posted:

If you really think WotLK was the best you could go play it right now on the classic servers. It, uh ... you might change your mind.
wotlk classic is extremely different from wrath at the time.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

uh huh

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

WotLK started our nice but devolved into a clusterfuck of gear score gatekeeping and meta build hell.

But am I talking about vanilla or classic? :thunk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'the playerbase in 2023 is very different from the playerbase in 2008, and in an mmo the playerbase has a big impact on a game' is not exactly a complex opinion

wrath had gearscore problems on live but classic's turned it from stupid to insane.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

you can just join <girls only> and never have to acknowledge any of that bullshit exists tbh

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
WoW's golden era being Vanilla to WotLK has nothing to do with what the game itself actually was, it's because during that time the game was basically a massive cultural phenomenon. People who'd never played a videogame in their lives would pick up WoW.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

WOTLK also marked a turning point where you could be pretty casual and still get gear and dip your toes into raiding, ToC was super easy to pug where everything else took alot more effort to get randos together. The various endgame content activities were also fun.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've always said that the best parts of the classic era were the bad players. They were everywhere, and you never knew what kind of person you could run into.

My favorite example back from 2005 was when our offtank in UBRS didn't have a necklace equipped, and when asked why, they said there was no quest that gave necklaces....

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every MMO is better when nobody knows what they're doing. It's why FFXI is still pretty fun: you simply cannot play that game and know what the gently caress you're doing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
For anyone who isn't hanging out in their discord who might be interested, Monsters and Memories will have another stress test next weekend and a longer play test in December.

quote:

This month we will be holding a Stress Test on __**Saturday, November 11th, 2023 at 1:00 PM EST**__. We want to test our server stability and work out any kinks ahead of our upcoming, longer playtest this December. We hope to see you there! The expected window of play for this Stress Test will be 2-3 hours.

Account Creation and Download: https://account.monstersandmemories.com

I had fun during the last one once they brought enough hardware online to be able to move out of the starting zone. It is an unapologetic EQ1 tribute in case that's not obvious.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

People on the subreddit have been comparing it to EQOA a lot, and EQOA was my favorite MMO ever. Apparently the gameplay, world, and progression are closer to EQOA than EQ and the graphics feel like they were almost definitely inspired by EQOA. Which is awesome, ps2 Everquest was a bigtime niche but I’ve been telling random passers by and uninterested girlfriends that now is the time to bring it back for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Frog Act posted:

People on the subreddit have been comparing it to EQOA a lot, and EQOA was my favorite MMO ever. Apparently the gameplay, world, and progression are closer to EQOA than EQ and the graphics feel like they were almost definitely inspired by EQOA. Which is awesome, ps2 Everquest was a bigtime niche but I’ve been telling random passers by and uninterested girlfriends that now is the time to bring it back for years

what was the leveling process like in EQOA?