Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SBF found guilty on all 7 counts against him, this dude's been reporting on every bit of the trial.

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1720226436382970336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ms Adequate posted:

I have had mental health issues my entire life, including suicidal ideation. How do you think my actual attempt would have gone if I had access to a gun? I didn't, so I just ended up in the hospital for a few days and was lucky enough to get away with no permanent effects. That's not what would have happened if I had been able to use a firearm.

It's pretty widely studied that access to firearms plays a major role in individuals successfully committing suicide, since it's so quick (No time to reconsider or for someone to find them and stop them), relatively easy, and highly fatal. I've never thought that straight-up banning guns is a ideal policy option as opposed to regulating the poo poo out of them and simply making them much more difficult/expensive to acquire,* but there's no question that even something as simple as increased waiting periods could save a lot of lives.

*Add pretty much everything that's not a bolt-action/lever-action rifle to the NFA, index the tax stamp to inflation from 1934. I have solved guns in America, you're welcome.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

Other than being a massive attention-whore, why is Tuberville doing this again?

He is compromised by Russia, just like most Republicans are

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Jesus Christ. You literally describe a mental health crisis then blame guns. Unreal cognitive dissonance. You all wish death on depressed folks with this attitude. It’s disgusting.

One of my best friends from high school, pulled over on the side of the road, put a gun in his mouth and killed himself last year.

We should repeal the second amendment and follow Australia’s example.

Suicidal impulses are generally something that pass. Other methods are slower or require planning. Men and women are suicidal at about the same rate (with a bit more women trying). But men die at about four times the rate to suicide than women do.

A single thing explains that. Men use guns to commit suicide.

You are playing games with language and seem to actually know very little about suicide and depression.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 5, 2023

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

mannerup posted:

do you have any actual evidence to support this claim?

He doesn't disclose his finances because he's on the take
The GOP all had their emails hacked by Russia and kept as blackmail material
The Republican party is thoroughly compromised, why should Johnson be an exception?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

mannerup posted:

are you mixing up Senator Tuberville and Speaker Johnson? Tuberville is up to date as any other Senator for his 2022 financial disclosures.

Wait yeah I did
Well whatever, they're both compromised stooges anyway

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Didn't the Tuber have a big mad about navy sailors being exposed to... poetry... as well, or am I conflating things?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bar Ran Dun posted:

One of my best friends from high school, pulled over on the side of the road, put a gun in his mouth and killed himself last year.

Condolences :sympathy:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Randalor posted:

Other than being a massive attention-whore, why is Tuberville doing this again?

Ultimately what thwarted their Jan 6 coup was when all of the senior brass in the military came out and said "we are loyal to the Constitution not the President"

This part of the prepping for insurrection 2.

Remember how McConnel blocked judicial nominations for 2 solid years so that a Republican president could stack the court with a bunch Federalist hacks, it's the military version of that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skex posted:

Ultimately what thwarted their Jan 6 coup was when all of the senior brass in the military came out and said "we are loyal to the Constitution not the President"

Remember how McConnel blocked judicial nominations for 2 solid years so that a Republican president could stack the court with a bunch Federalist hacks, it's the military version of that.

Except Congress doesn't generally pick and choose who the military promotes. Only a few top named positions. Holding back current confirmations for every flag position does nothing but piss off anyone looking to tack on a star someday which does them zero favors.

This is not comparable to McConnel's judiciary rigamarole at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

This type of dipshitery reminds me of a manager at my first over the counter paying job. She would loose her mind if she caught us talking to each other while doing our work. Anything other than mindless dronery is unconscionable at work. Unless it's them, then it's super reasonable.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vahakyla posted:

I see that Graham made some good points in the Senate against Tuberville and that’s the loving worst.

If it's any consolation, Graham usually talks a good game, it's when it comes time to actually back it with action that he folds like a t-shirt, at least in terms of anything that requires any sort of principles

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Skex posted:

you think a football coach is smart enough to do that? logic razor says that this is his sludge hammer to the culture war vs Mcconel's masterful stealth chess

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

AlternateNu posted:

Except Congress doesn't generally pick and choose who the military promotes. Only a few top named positions. Holding back current confirmations for every flag position does nothing but piss off anyone looking to tack on a star someday which does them zero favors.

This is not comparable to McConnel's judiciary rigamarole at all.

If there's one thing guaranteed to help you succeed in your coup, it's loudly and publicly demonstrating your comtempt for the military. Making sure that you have pissed off an officer corps who have already shown that they are extremely serious about the oaths they have taken is great preparation for your next effort to tear it up!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tuberville is legitimately incredibly dumb.

He's "less intelligent than Louie Gohmert" dumb.

This is not a part of a long-game political plan to stack the military or anything. Congress doesn't even select military promotions and 99% of these promotions he is holding up are for people who are junior officers that aren't ever going to be in contention to be a Joint Chief of Staff.

He's just very dumb, thinks the abortion angle plays well/genuinely believes it, and this is an area where he can issue a hold that directly hurts people (which means there will be pressure to act quickly on it and not ignore it) and nobody else would try it, so he gets to be the lone man sticking up for unborn life.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Tuberville has basically discredited his whole profession. People went around thinking college football coaches were smart because they draw a bunch of X's and O's but now we know for sure they just throw shady off-the-books money at the biggest, fastest poor kids and then yell at them until they win a championship.

I'm sure there are smart college football coaches, it's just totally incidental to their jobs.

edit: Discredited his former profession, I should say. "U.S. Senator" was already discredited.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 3, 2023

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
Not an american here, could someone explain how someone like Tuberville can hold up all the military nominations? Even against his own party?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Technomancer posted:

Not an american here, could someone explain how someone like Tuberville can hold up all the military nominations? Even against his own party?

The Senate is supposed to be for fancy lads to slow down and "debate" the merits of bills passed by the hot-headed rabble in the House.

Because of that, there are many ways to force debate or discussion of things that can be triggered by a single Senator.

Tuberville isn't technically blocking the nominations. What he is doing is basically demanding the maximum 3 days of debate time for each nominee (there are roughly 700 nominees), which means it would take roughly 2,100 days to finish nominating everyone. So, they just aren't bothering to nominate or approve the promotions because they want Tuberville to back down instead of spending 3 days getting nothing done for each nominee.

Usually, the Senate just agrees by unanimous consent to waive debate for all nominees that are just grunts getting promotions and just hold hearings/debates for the few top promotions (Chief of Staff of the Army/Navy/Air Force, Joint Chief, etc.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 3, 2023

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The Senate has to agree to start considering motions, like accepting military promotion suggestions. Usually this is done by unanimous consent, but anyone can say "no, I don't consent to that" which means that there needs to be a cloture motion, and that's a huge pain in the rear end when you need to consider each motion individually instead of just doing a "yes, we all agree on all these motions." So a hold can easily kill a bill or whatever unless everyone else in the Senate, including your own party, thinks you suck.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Still another three years until Toob's seat is up but it will be interesting to see how things shake out for him. What he is doing is not all that popular with anybody except maybe some fundie ministers advisors or something. In August 58% of Alabamas opposed his maneuver, and that is only going to get worse for him now that the GOP is openly attacking him for it.

But at the same time, it's hard to imagine him losing a primary when he checks all the boxes the right wing media demands, and stays on the good side of the Trumpists, for the most part. Like... if 58% of Alabamas oppose his policy, consider that that likely includes basically all of the 40% who voted for Doug Jones in 2020, perhaps minus a small handful of pacifists, leaving Tuberville's own voters roughly 72% in favor... he would probably have success in a primary propping himself up as the guy who was willing to pull out all the stop to protect the fetuses when the big mean rich men north of Richmond wouldn't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

2023: The year that Super Gonorrhea became a real thing.

Gonorrhea has developed resistance to all known methods of treatment currently used in medicine. There is one new drug that is still being tested that seems to be the last known antibiotic that is still effective against gonorrhea, but it is not available yet and initial results show it is only effective against certain kinds of gonorrhea.

If this new drug proves successful, they aren't sure how to dispense it in an effective way that doesn't lead to gonorrhea becoming resistant to this new drug and therefore become completely uncurable in some people and require intensive treatment that would stretch resources and require huge time investments to cure in others.

quote:

The ultimate fear is that eventually, gonorrhea could prove wholly untreatable, in at least some people.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1720403047082336578

quote:

A new antibiotic has proven as effective as the last remaining recommended treatment for gonorrhea, helping to assuage mounting fears among public health experts about the emergence of drug-resistant strains of the sexually transmitted infection.

Gonorrhea is the second most common STI in the U.S. and has developed resistance to all antibiotics used to treat it, except for the recommended combined therapy of an injection of the antibiotic ceftriaxone with one dose of azithromycin pills. In recent years, ominous reports have suggested that this antibiotic arsenal might not maintain its robust effectiveness against the fast-evolving pathogen for much longer.

On Wednesday, results from a late-stage clinical trial of a new antibiotic called zoliflodacin showed the drug cured so-called uncomplicated gonorrhea infections as effectively as ceftriaxone and azithromycin. The drug was developed by the Global Antibiotic Research & Development Partnership, a Swiss nonprofit, and the U.S.-based Innoviva Specialty Therapeutics.

“Zoliflodacin gives us a new tool in the treatment of gonorrhea, and if used wisely, a barrier against the further spread of resistant infections,” said Dr. Jeffrey Klausner, an infectious disease expert at the Keck School of Medicine of USC, who was not involved in the trial.

The antibiotic, which would be the first new gonorrhea treatment approved in decades, could make it to market by 2025.

The World Health Organization estimates that globally there are more than 82 million new gonorrhea cases every year. In the U.S., in the wake of decades of cuts to state and local public health departments, STIs have soared to record heights. In 2021, there were 710,151 diagnosed cases of gonorrhea, a 28% increase since 2017, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Gonorrhea spreads through sexual contact and can separately infect the genitals, rectum and throat.

The STI is especially common among adolescents and young adults and occurs disproportionately among gay and bisexual men, the CDC reports. Left untreated, gonorrhea poses a risk of infertility and can prove especially damaging to women, leading to pelvic inflammatory disease and ectopic pregnancy. The infection can also raise the risk of HIV transmission.

In recent years, global health authorities have issued increasingly urgent warnings that gonorrhea has been acquiring resistance to ceftriaxone and azithromycin, with cases of highly drug-resistant gonorrhea reported in multiple nations.

In January, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported the first two U.S. cases of gonorrhea that had resistance or reduced response to five classes of antibiotics. Ceftriaxone did cure those cases, but public health officials said they served as a harbinger for the emergence of strains that could evade the antibiotic.

Without a new antibiotic weapon, curing highly drug-resistant strains of gonorrhea could require intensive treatment with multiple antibiotics, according to Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. This so-called kitchen-sink approach, she said, would strain medical resources and raise the risk of driving the emergence of further microbial drug resistance to those other antibiotics.

The ultimate fear is that eventually, gonorrhea could prove wholly untreatable, in at least some people.

According to an Innoviva representative, the company aims to file for approval of the antibiotic with the Food and Drug Administration “as quickly as practicably possible.” Innoviva expects an expedited review, meaning the FDA would take about six months to issue a decision.

Zoliflodacin belongs to a new class of antibiotics, and attacks gonorrhea in a novel way. In previous laboratory studies, zoliflodacin proved effective at neutralizing gonorrhea strains that were highly resistant to ceftriaxone and azithromycin and strains that had resistance to other antibiotics as well.

A downside of zoliflodacin is that a previous, phase two clinical trial published in 2018 found that it was not as efficacious at treating gonorrhea infections in the throat as in the genital or rectal areas. However, Marrazzo, who was a co-author on that study, said that this disparity is common among gonorrhea treatments.

“Gonorrhea in the throat is probably going to be a major Achilles heel in our battle to control gonorrhea going forward,” Marrazzo said.

But according to Dr. Margaret Koziel, chief medical officer of Innoviva, the new zoliflodacin trial showed “encouraging” results in the small number of participants with rectal or throat infections.

The company “will certainly engage the FDA about whether the label indication might be for urogenital disease or for all uncomplicated gonorrhea,” Koziel said.

According to Dr. Manica Balasegaram, executive director of Global Antibiotic Research & Development Partnership — Innoviva’s partner in the trial — zoliflodacin holds promise in retaining potency against gonorrhea for a longer period than previous treatments for the infection, because it was developed solely as a treatment for that STI. Ceftriaxone and azithromycin are each used to combat numerous other infections; and the more they are used, the more opportunity gonorrhea has to develop resistance to them.

“This new drug is also given orally instead of an intramuscular injection with ceftriaxone; this is an advantage,” said Dr. Jean-Michel Molina, who studies STI prevention at the University of Paris and was not involved in the clinical trial.

Molina is the head of one of the multiple clinical trials currently running of a meningitis B vaccine as prevention for gonorrhea. He said he expects to present final results of his trial at a scientific meeting in 2024.

The new zoliflodacin study enrolled 930 men, women and adolescents, including people with HIV, with uncomplicated gonorrhea at 16 trial sites in five nations, including Belgium, the Netherlands, South Africa, Thailand and the U.S. Participants were randomized to receive a single oral dose of zoliflodacin or a ceftriaxone injection plus oral azithromycin.

The WHO has called the emergence of drug-resistant pathogens one of the top 10 global public health threats facing humanity and has identified gonorrhea in particular as a priority pathogen.

The zoliflodacin trial is the first to address such a priority pathogen that was marshalled by a nonprofit organization. Established in 2016 by the WHO to help shepherd new antibiotics to market, efforts by the Global Antibiotic Research & Development Partnership’ represent a promising new front in the vital effort to spur research and development of new antibiotics. Offering only thin profit margins, antibiotics do not tend to attract investment by pharmaceutical companies.

“Treating gonorrhea, it’s not going to be your next Ozempic,” said Marrazzo.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Misunderstood posted:

Still another three years until Toob's seat is up but it will be interesting to see how things shake out for him. What he is doing is not all that popular with anybody except maybe some fundie ministers advisors or something. In August 58% of Alabamas opposed his maneuver, and that is only going to get worse for him now that the GOP is openly attacking him for it.

But at the same time, it's hard to imagine him losing a primary when he checks all the boxes the right wing media demands, and stays on the good side of the Trumpists, for the most part. Like... if 58% of Alabamas oppose his policy, consider that that likely includes basically all of the 40% who voted for Doug Jones in 2020, perhaps minus a small handful of pacifists, leaving Tuberville's own voters roughly 72% in favor... he would probably have success in a primary propping himself up as the guy who was willing to pull out all the stop to protect the fetuses when the big mean rich men north of Richmond wouldn't.

By the time he's up for reelection Alabama will have forgotten this issue even happened. Only thing getting an idiot like Tuberville out of the seat is someone even Trumpier.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Retro42 posted:

By the time he's up for reelection Alabama will have forgotten this issue even happened. Only thing getting an idiot like Tuberville out of the seat is someone even Trumpier.

Unless he's still doing it

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Just because they oppose him on one thing doesn't mean they won't vote for him

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dubar posted:

Just because they oppose him on one thing doesn't mean they won't vote for him
Not in a general, no. Minus another pederast being nominated that seat isn’t going to be competitive for a long time, if ever. But Republicans lose primaries over one issue all the time. Sometimes voters don’t even disagree with the incumbent on anything and just want harsher rhetoric about their perceived enemies.

The good thing for Tubby is that what Republicans usually lose primaries for is not being fanatically, destructively committed to social conservative goals, and he’s doing the exact opposite of that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why do grunt level military promotions even need senate oversight to begin with

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They're not grunt-level military promotions

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Because the constitution was written in the mother of all drunken benders by people who could not conceive of the United States becoming anything other than a regional power.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

2023: The year that Super Gonorrhea became a real thing.

Gonorrhea has developed resistance to all known methods of treatment currently used in medicine. There is one new drug that is still being tested that seems to be the last known antibiotic that is still effective against gonorrhea, but it is not available yet and initial results show it is only effective against certain kinds of gonorrhea.

If this new drug proves successful, they aren't sure how to dispense it in an effective way that doesn't lead to gonorrhea becoming resistant to this new drug and therefore become completely uncurable in some people and require intensive treatment that would stretch resources and require huge time investments to cure in others.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1720403047082336578

Is there any analysis of how common the resistant strains are? Obviously this is bad news but the way the article is framed kind of feels like a combo of marketing for the company making the new drug and capitalizing on reader interest in infectious disease that could be a MAJOR CRISIS in the wake of COVID.

Adaptations that block mechanisms of action for antibiotics aren't likely to be favored in a vacuum - there were thousands of years for bacteria to find the most efficient processes before antibiotics and only like 100 years since then, so it's not necessarily a given that this mutation will beat wild type unless there's some indication of it actually competing rather than a handful of isolated cases

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't the Tuber have a big mad about navy sailors being exposed to... poetry... as well, or am I conflating things?

Yeah, and he's completely misunderstanding the militaries relation with colleges. I was forced to take an online college course when I was in because it was free and not doing it was considered lazy. I took an American Poetry class out of spite, but it was a great class and the government paid for me to read poetry.

Edit: I also seriously doubt they were reading any poetry over the 2MC (engineering circuit) or 1MC (ship wide circuit) during any kind of real situation. Pretty much only the XO would do that for serious announcements or general quarters practice.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 3, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

It's officers, not enlisted. The officers being held up here are "officers by commission" or "commissioned officers", meaning they are commissioned by the president and signed off on by the senate.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm curious where you got the idea they were grunt level positions?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm curious where you got the idea they were grunt level positions?

Because someone else upthread said exactly that

The expected thing is that the military promotes whoever they like x10000000 and the congress is like « k seems good » with the only real hearing that might happen is for the top of the top

E: again at the officer level obvs, not promoting private dipshit to Lance corporal dipshit

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 3, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because someone else upthread said exactly that

The expected thing is that the military promotes whoever they like x10000000 and the congress is like « k seems good » with the only real hearing that might happen is for the top of the top

Could you quote this post, please? I'm trying to figure out what jargon needs to be explained because I definitely did not see someone literally use "grunt level."

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

They're not grunt-level military promotions

Frankly there’s just also an enormous number of posts across a military and government that have grown to a previously unimaginable size. The nature of the rule of unanimous consent in 21st century government really does give any one of the hundred members of the Senate effective veto power over a Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Whatever Bureau in the Name that Department across all of government.

Tuberville’s stunt does reveal just how much power the Senate, and a single Senator, has over the civil and military service. The rise of Flat Out Insane Suicidal political forces during the Obama years that refused to approve routine nominations to these posts by Democrats flushed out and deterred many people from government leadership who might draw the ire of a single Senator and it’ll do it again. And it’s worthy to recall that the Senate, as an especially minoritarian body, is also likely to be opposed to and have the voting numbers to deny posts to those who might disrupt the status quo (most recently Gigi Sohn at the FCC).

Of course, the alternative is to remove a vital check on executive power over the civil and military service. But it’s interesting to consider just how much the Senate and its rules have shaped our notion of what’s normal and possible in government, and contributed to a fundamentally conservative culture in government at supposedly apolitical levels.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Usually, the Senate just agrees by unanimous consent to waive debate for all nominees that are just grunts getting promotions and just hold hearings/debates for the few top promotions (Chief of Staff of the Army/Navy/Air Force, Joint Chief, etc.)

Whoops whatever

I get the Pres is CiC and all, but the military promoting someone from major general grade 3 to major general grade 2 does not seems like something oversight is required for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

OPAONI posted:

Because the constitution was written in the mother of all drunken benders by people who could not conceive of the United States becoming anything other than a regional power.

It's kind of this and kind of "modern militaries* are much more logistically complicated and just straight-up larger, so they need a lot more officers to function properly."

*and governments! This all stems from the Constitution's vague instruction that the President appoints, by and with the consent of the Senate, "Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for". What exactly counts as an "officer of the United States" isn't really clear and it's changed over time-- clearly it doesn't make sense for it to apply to, say, the fee clerk at the front desk of the National Park visitor center, but it would make sense that the Secretary of the Interior counts. The modern courts basically evaluate how important your job is and how much discretion you have in doing it. In the military, it's officers above a certain rank (I think O-4 and up, so Major and above in the Army).

Fun fact, one of the quiet lines of attack for Federalist Society fuckwads has been trying to push for "Officer of the United States" to apply to literally almost every federal employee, in order to better demolish the civil service. See this law review article from an Antonin Scalia Law School professor, for example.