Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

kidcoelacanth posted:

bullying jake should be the free space tbh

QFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SWEET BLUE HOLE is the correct case to put that in

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jeremy Ironscar is honestly a really good d&d name

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot he named his child after his dead analogue game girlfriend. I'm loling in actuality

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Gaius Marius posted:

I forgot he named his child after his dead analogue game girlfriend. I'm loling in actuality

I prefer to believe she was named for the axe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

“This is why our podcast rules, it’s one part smart, two parts video games” is a solid summation of this show honestly

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Revisiting Rotating Heroes since it was advertised at the end of last episode. The first party of players is Siobhan, Trapp and Emily and they're all hilarious. I might have to throw some money at the podcast this time around to get access to the backlog.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Government Handjob posted:

Revisiting Rotating Heroes since it was advertised at the end of last episode. The first party of players is Siobhan, Trapp and Emily and they're all hilarious. I might have to throw some money at the podcast this time around to get access to the backlog.

Back when Zac first started that show and they rehosted the first few episodes on the NADDPOD feed, I sorta had trouble getting into it. It felt like Emily, Siobhan and Trapp were having almost too much fun testing the boundaries with Zac and he was trying so hard to keep things on track without being a hardass. I ended up not pursuing it, especially when I found out Zac was setting it aside for other work, but now I think I may try to check back in again.

I do remember Emily's character being hilarious though, natch.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

timp posted:

Back when Zac first started that show and they rehosted the first few episodes on the NADDPOD feed, I sorta had trouble getting into it. It felt like Emily, Siobhan and Trapp were having almost too much fun testing the boundaries with Zac and he was trying so hard to keep things on track without being a hardass. I ended up not pursuing it, especially when I found out Zac was setting it aside for other work, but now I think I may try to check back in again.

I do remember Emily's character being hilarious though, natch.

Sounds like he retooled it, and so now they have another DM and Zach is just going to be in every arc.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

seaborgium posted:

Sounds like he retooled it, and so now they have another DM and Zach is just going to be in every arc.

Zach brings a great energy to every season of D20 he's been on, so I think this format would work well for him. Such a great support player as well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should do a fantasy heist. Straight up DND Heat

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jake is really doing his best/worst character work in the Mixed Bag

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am apparently no longer capable of retaining memories for one consecutive month and can't remember anything about what this mixed bag is or what happened in part 1, but one of the magical things about this podcast is that even if you have a goldfish brain like mine that can't follow a plot, it's still extremely good

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jake is really doing his best/worst character work in the Mixed Bag

I think best. I love Mavid (sp?). I’m really enjoying this mixed bag arc, I’d listen to it as a main campaign.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Jake doesn't warp the reality of the game around his characters this way as much as Caldwell and Emily tend to, so this is a real treat.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

Jake doesn't warp the reality of the game around his characters this way as much as Caldwell and Emily tend to, so this is a real treat.

I feel like the mixed bag "ah gently caress it, we're only doing three episodes of this" energy is really helping him make some wacky choices. Pledging himself to the hunger god without a second's thought, for example.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
"i joylessly bounce on the bed"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Awkward Davies posted:

I think best. I love Mavid (sp?). I’m really enjoying this mixed bag arc, I’d listen to it as a main campaign.

I have to clarify, Mavid is the worst character he has ever played, like on a human level, and he is absolutely killing it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mavid is basically Fantasy Buster Bluth and yes, Jake is completely killing it, easily his funniest performance since Tread.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

Mavid is basically Fantasy Buster Bluth and yes, Jake is completely killing it, easily his funniest performance since Tread.

Dang that's high praise, I need to listen to this mixed bag I guess

I've been making my way through the trinnyvale episodes since I caught up to the main podcast and I've been enjoying it a bunch

The first few episodes are definitely a little rougher (especially since they're also just pretty old at this point), but it's for sure picking up. Just got to the nightclub

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I have to clarify, Mavid is the worst character he has ever played, like on a human level, and he is absolutely killing it.

Ah, yeah. Funny how it barely registers against Jens and Onyx tho.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Agreeing that Jake has been fantastic, but I also want to say Emily should DM more. She’s great at it, and knows when to really let her players shine.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

absolutely top-tier interactions with randos in this week's main ep, i'm dying at ol' guppy

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The takeaway I got from this months mixed bag is, weirdly enough, how badly I want to see Jake DM. He’s really grown as a roleplayer and is able to play basically every type of character and kills it it whatever role he’s assigned or assumes, he’s a huge D&D fan, and despite all the jokes he’s actually played a bunch of different classes besides fighter, and even a caster class (once). I think he’d actually super kill it if he was to run a one-shot or even a side campaign, sorta like how Duncle got more comfortable via Trinyvale. Also I’d genuinely love to see what Caldwell, Murph, and Emily could do in the same campaign since they’ve literally never been in the same party at the same time before.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Also I’d genuinely love to see what Caldwell, Murph, and Emily could do in the same campaign since they’ve literally never been in the same party at the same time before.

They should just go ahead and hire Brennan already, it'd be so much fun.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

eke out posted:

They should just go ahead and hire Brennan already, it'd be so much fun.

nah id rather see jake and caldwell on d20

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

nah id rather see jake and caldwell on d20

It is a little surprising Jake hasn’t been involved with Dropout much (at all?).

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Awkward Davies posted:

It is a little surprising Jake hasn’t been involved with Dropout much (at all?).

He’s in at least one episode of a show called Rank Room that I definitely remember being very funny. But yeah, it is strange we haven’t seen him there more. I don’t even think he’s been on Um, Actually before and like everyone has shown up on Um, Actually at least once!

It’s a shame because I think he’s hilarious and will watch or listen to just about anything he does at this point

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
amir had Jake killed per a recent episode of Hollywood handbook so that's likely why

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does anyone know how to add the old 8bbc episodes to Apple Podcasts if you’re a patreon sub? I want to listen to the Gex episodes without having to crawl through the internet archives.

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

NieR Occomata posted:

Does anyone know how to add the old 8bbc episodes to Apple Podcasts if you’re a patreon sub? I want to listen to the Gex episodes without having to crawl through the internet archives.

If you still need this, the old 8 Bit Book Club episodes are available on Spotify (no subscription needed). I don’t think you can find them anywhere else at the moment.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ruzaii posted:

If you still need this, the old 8 Bit Book Club episodes are available on Spotify (no subscription needed). I don’t think you can find them anywhere else at the moment.

They are also on Pocket Casts. It looks like they are behind the NADDPOD paywall only on Apple Podcasts, which is a little strange. Probably tied to how Apple does premium podcasts in their app.

Here's the link: https://pca.st/podcast/12622f10-da11-013b-f49a-0acc26574db2

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I am really enjoying this Vantasmo series. Great characters. Of course Murph is good at playing a grumpy old man.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Mavid might be Jake’s greatest creation.

jeez louise…

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Seluin posted:

Mavid might be Jake’s greatest creation.

jeez louise…

i was thinking the same thing yeah, it's very against type for him and he killed it.

also really thematically appropriate that dice christ made him actually super competent when he has no choice but to be, he's just a shithead with no interest in applying himself

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

twilight sanctorum was an absolute delight, the only problem is that now there's two excellent emily-DM'd games for them to bounce between and they can't do both at once

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It’s so good. Honestly I’d be fine if the main campaign took an extended pause and they just did this for a while.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

yeah twilight sanctorum rules. It's almost unfair how good Emily is at all aspects of DnD.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We’ve been watching unsleeping city on dropout and she almost frighteningly casually comes up with a plan to burn down her own house via unseen servant for insurance fraud and establish an alibi. I’m glad she uses her powers for good, frankly, there’s an alternate universe where she runs a hedge fund and destroys the economy of several small countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

We’ve been watching unsleeping city on dropout and she almost frighteningly casually comes up with a plan to burn down her own house via unseen servant for insurance fraud and establish an alibi. I’m glad she uses her powers for good, frankly, there’s an alternate universe where she runs a hedge fund and destroys the economy of several small countries

yeah i feel like emily is both very obsessive about learning/exploiting the rules and very willing to take huge risks -- plus a real devious streak, prone to elaborate plans she's hiding from the DM and the audience.

don't find that combination very often and it's a delight