Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Pomeroy posted:

I mean, if you need an indication of how absurdly corrupt and stupid the zionist entity is, Netanyahu's wife was caught having her staff buy large quantities of wine with government money, dump it in the sink, and then turn in the bottles for the CRV, in the saddest government embezzlement scandal I've ever heard of.

(in case anyone thinks this is joke: https://www.timesofisrael.com/pms-wife-accused-of-pocketing-thousands-in-bottle-refunds/)

Pomeroy posted:

Personally, I might still give that title to Bolsonaro's wife killing a bunch of ancient Koi that were a state gift to steal fountain coins, but this is a close runner up.

Capitalism and imperialism being undermined by sheer petty theft by its own pathetic leadership is one of the few forms of reliable karmic justice in this age.

Zohar posted:

this is my fav quran surah https://quran.com/en/al-humazah

Woe to every backbiter, slanderer,
who amasses wealth greedily and counts it repeatedly,
thinking that their wealth will make them immortal!
Not at all! Such a person will certainly be tossed into the Crusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Al! posted:

. i welcome hamas corps of civil engineers, a lot of busted roads and bridges in the empire

George: I jumped into a hole in my front yard and emerged 5 minutes later, like a newborn baby, from another hole right next to Yankee stadium. Right next to Steinbrenner's parking spot!
Jerry: It's unbelievable!
George: Death to Israel, Jerry! Death to America! I'm a Hamas man now!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

External Organs posted:

George: I jumped into a hole in my front yard and emerged 5 minutes later, like a newborn baby, from another hole right next to Yankee stadium. Right next to Steinbrenner's parking spot!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

External Organs posted:

:eyepop: Posts you can hear.

Edit:

[P vs I] I'm a Hamas man now!

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Dreylad posted:

So much of American politics is about trying to loot the empire before it collapses.

Capital politics. It's leaving.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
the prophet: we're gonna put you in the contraption my dude 😂😂😂

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Scarabrae posted:

Asking for Biden is Hitler 3 memes

Biden is Hitler after his brains started leaking out of his skull

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

BUUNNI posted:

its funny cuz the zionists have actually invaded and evidently rule NYC

https://twitter.com/Lucent508/status/1720240131997585529

its the King of Queens.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

External Organs posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

External Organs posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

External Organs posted:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

extremely bad news - we’ve just received word that the entire staff of Gulpp, the hot new Web 3.0 custom smoothie delivery service, was cooked alive inside their merkava by a single Palestinian teen with a molotov

Sounds like their operation was disrupted by a more agile delivery service.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

External Organs posted:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

External Organs posted:

Fastest I've ever seen a thread title change.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

External Organs posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

External Organs posted:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

External Organs posted:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

External Organs posted:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Imagine being so thirsty for gore that even a guy, whose name would make a great Nazi villain in a Harry Turtledove book, blushes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

External Organs posted:

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

External Organs posted:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/4288925-colonialism-apartheid-interrogating-the-language-of-israel-palestine/

‘Colonialism’? ‘Apartheid’? Interrogating the language of Israel-Palestine

BY URIEL ABULOF, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR - 11/02/23 10:30 AM ET

A woman with a sticker on her face saying ‘Boycott Israeli apartheid’ takes part in a demonstration in support of Palestine at the Israeli Embassy on October 9, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)
The first casualty of war is truth. Truth is killed by words, not bullets, and four such words are often fired at Israel: “occupation,” “apartheid,” “colonialism,” and “genocide.” How much truth do they hold?

“Occupation” is the most used term since 1967, for good reasons. But while the bulk of the West Bank is under Israel’s military occupation, there is a legal debate on whether the Gaza Strip is or is not under occupation, since Israel withdrew all its soldiers and settlers in 2005. One useful touchstone: If Israel is the warden of Gaza’s “open-air prison,” shouldn’t it be able to fully block it? Yet Israel has no control over Gaza’s southern border with Egypt.

But “occupation” has slightly fallen out of favor for a different reason — it doesn’t strike the ear as sufficiently malevolent for the task at hand: excusing, and effectively justifying, the slaughter of Israeli civilians. “Apartheid” and “colonialism” to the rescue?

These analogies are not without merits. I myself wrote a whole book comparing Zionists to Afrikaners (and French Canadians), and the Israeli occupation of the West Bank has elements of colonialism via the relentless, and increasingly vicious, settlement project. Yet I find the “Zionism (Israel) = colonialism = apartheid” equation factually false, intellectually lazy, morally wrong and practically counterproductive. The Israeli occupation is bad enough without them.

The odd juxtaposition of apartheid and colonialism is itself evidence of the paradigm’s scholarly laziness. Students who study apartheid know that the African National Congress strongly insisted that South Africa was everyone’s. Unlike the Palestinian PLO, and certainly unlike Hamas, the ANC shied away from depicting the rival community — the country’s white population — as foreign colonial invaders. Instead, the ANC insisted that the land belonged to all, white and non-white alike.

Students may wish to learn more about apartheid, then read the genocidal Hamas Covenant (and no, the 2017 “general document” did not amend the Covenant, as Hamas leaders clarified and demonstrated).

If they do, they may be better positioned to answer a simple question: If apartheid explains and justifies the October 7 massacre, why didn’t the original apartheid trigger similar slaughters of white South African civilians? Why didn’t the ANC’s armed wing, the uMkhonto we Sizwe, butcher and kidnap hundreds or thousands of Afrikaner women, elderly people and children?

If not apartheid, perhaps then colonialism? The chronicles of colonialism are certainly more violent. The savage war between France and the FLN in Algeria is an extreme case in point, involving mutual atrocities against civilians, like the massacres of Arabs in Sétif (1945) and of French in El-Halia (1955).

Is this eye-for-an-eye butchery what proponents of the “Zionism = colonialism” equation propose? If so, we should look at where the Israeli-Palestinian conflict approaches this horrendous end of the (anti-)colonialist spectrum of atrocities — and where this analogy fails.

Israel came closest to deliberately targeting civilians in Deir Yassin (1948), Tantura (1948), Qibya (1953) and Kafr Qasim (1956). All these incidents likely included war crimes, but overwhelming historiographical evidence indicates there was no authorized, premediated massacre of civilians. Importantly, Israeli leaders abhorred these incidents.

Consider the massacre at Kafr Qasim, which happened on the first day of the 1956 Sinai War, when Israeli border police lethally enforced a wartime curfew, leading to over forty civilians killed, about half of them women and children. The Israeli government strongly condemned the act, with Prime Minister David Ben Gurion denouncing it as “an atrocity that undermines the most sacred foundation of human morality.” The Israeli parliament stood up to honor the memory of the victims in a moment of silence. Can anyone imagine the Hamas, or even the PA, following suit?

Unlike Israel, Palestinians have deliberately and specifically targeted Israeli (and occasionally non-Israeli) civilians. This has been an explicit goal and an ongoing practice for numerous Palestinian groups. These terror attacks are almost innumerable, but, focusing on the October 7 carnage, several key differences between the FLN in Algeria and Hamas atrocities are worth noting.

First, except for the 1958 failed attempt to assassinate the French Information Minister, the FLN never attacked, let alone perpetrated massacres, in France, whereas Hamas overwhelmingly and consistently targets civilians in Israel per se, not just settlers in the West Bank (to reiterate, there are no Israeli settlers in Gaza). Second, the 1955 massacres were not sanctioned by the FLN leadership; in fact, the FLN head command firmly condemned the massacres.

Third, compared to the 1955 massacres, the number of Israeli civilians slaughtered, certainly in proportion to the overall population, is far higher. Notably, in seven years of war, France killed over half a million Algerians, and possibly three times as many, the overwhelming majority of them civilians. In its 75 years of existence, Israel has killed over 40,000 Palestinians, mostly combatants (mainly by Israeli air strikes in Lebanon and Gaza, but civilians were rarely, if ever, deliberately targeted). To state the obvious, the FLN never sought to eradicate France nor annihilate all French.

Anti-Israel students may want to pause and wonder why it was the First Intifada (1987-1991), devoid of the sadistic and genocidal dimensions of Hamas, that fostered the most courageous rapprochement between Israelis and Palestinians, for which Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin paid with his life; why it was Hamas, through its 1995-96 suicide attacks, that crushed the Oslo peace process and brought Benjamin Netanyahu to power; and why their most vocal bedfellows are the autocrats of Iran, Russia and Turkey.

Academia is no guarantee against the closing of the mind to facts and moral doubts. Indeed, in their facile, righteous reading of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through apartheid and colonialism, far-left students and faculty effectively colonize their own minds.

Academia now faces its own distinct abyss. Rather than using our intellectual tools to understand and help people, we use people as tools for self-conceited campaigns. Rather than caring about people who suffer, we leverage their suffering for our aggrandized sense of righteous heroism. Rather than inspiring people for peace and progress, we sow hatred by boxing them into curated concepts that serve our professional careers. Falling into this self-trap, we not only betray our vocation, but our fellow humans.

The ivory tower can still be a beacon of human solidarity. At its best, academia provides us with a wonderful opportunity to construct our moral and emotional compass by embracing, not eschewing, truth and doubts; by introspection, not conformism; by rising up to the promise of our unique humanity, not by degrading fellow humans.

Uriel Abulof is an associate professor of political science, teaching at Tel Aviv University and Cornell University. He lives in Jerusalem.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I cannot loving believe these people share a religion, this looks like the scene from a movie about Holocaust 2024. Zionists aren't really Jewish people.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

before I get the :burger: I would like to remind you that the US is currently supplying israel's GTA rampage within gaza.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sherbert Hoover posted:

crying out war hymns as they charge tanks with melta bombs :black101:

this sucks

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

External Organs posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
do not enjoy hamas being compared to a horde of ravening orks, but also know 40k people well enough to know that they idolize orks and the ork lifestyle

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Much like Hamas, Orks are made for fightin and winnin.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

so who's the necrons in all this then?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Owlbear Camus posted:

so who's the necrons in all this then?

Democrats

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Right now there are probably hundreds of thousands of people in Gaza knowing they just lost their children/brothers/sisters/etc. And tens of thousands more dealing with the pain of their physical injuries with little material support.

It's impossible to fully wrap your head around. Such a huge number of people are having the worst experience of their entire life right now. Parents knowing their children are gone, and many of the children who survived are dealing with life-altering injuries. It's one thing to know this in the abstract, but it just goes beyond anything that can properly be described.

Even if/after a ceasefire is called, this suffering will just continue for the rest of these peoples' lives. Children growing up without their siblings or parents, or whose friends were killed/maimed. The same thing Israel has been doing for decades that inspired Hamas's resistance, but directly affecting even more people in extreme ways. Regardless of how this specific conflict ends, I cannot see Israel surviving in the long term. For every person motivated to take up arms against them in the present, there will be even more in the future resulting from what Israel has done these past few weeks.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hezbollah is eldar. Supposed to be really tough but is in their cryptic bullshit phase rn.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

:burger:

fizzier posted:

The Democrats are gonna lose the elections and absolutely deservedly so.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...united-kingdom/

Remarks by Vice President Harris in Press Gaggle | Bletchley, United Kingdom
Bletchley Park
Bletchley, United Kingdom
NOVEMBER 02, 2023

Q Madam Vice President, Israel bombed the densely populated Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza for the second time in two days yesterday. Has the Biden-Harris administration reached out to discuss with Israel the bombing of the camp? And do you and President Biden consider the camp a legitimate military target or an acceptable collateral damage in Israel’s efforts to defeat Hamas?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: So, let me start with this. I have seen — as you have, I’m sure — the images, the photographs of the loss of civilian life in Gaza, and it is heartbreaking — the — the injury and death to children.

I have a friend, who I talked with recently, who has family in Gaza and has lost a number of the members of her family — innocent civilians.

So, let me start by saying that it is absolutely tragic when there is ever, anywhere, any loss of innocent life, of innocent civilians, of children. And there is no word that I can offer you that — that justifies any other feeling in terms of the loss of that life. It’s tragic.

Q I just want to follow up specifically with the refugee camp. Do you think that that is a legitimate military target, that it’s an acceptable (inaudible)?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I — we are not telling Israel how it should conduct this war. And so, I’m not going to speak to that.

AIDE: Erica.

Q Madam Vice President, you’re fresh off of a college tour, where you were seeking to energize young voters, and particularly voters of color you visited with.

But as we’ve seen, campuses across the country have become places where we’ve seen a lot of dissent on the U.S. stance on the Israel war and a lot of concern for the treatment of Palestinians and the casualties.

Is there a fear of your administration of alienating young voters, particularly — particularly young voters of color? And what is your message to them as they continue to protest the conditions there?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Starting with the college tour — I initiated that earlier this year after they back in session in the fall because I do believe it is important that we listen to our young leaders and, in particular, our college-age folks.

And there are a number of issues that they care about and I want to hear directly from them about and be able to be there and also answer their questions.

And so, I have now talked with through the college tour over 10,000 students in exactly that way. And yes, of course, this issue has come up in — in one of the latest that I did in Arizona.

And the point that I have made is that we have to agree that Israel has a right to defend itself after a terrorist attack. And I do appreciate the — that there is also a lot of concern about the loss of civilian life. And we should — we should all be concerned about that. And I will continue to say exactly what I’ve said since the beginning, which is that it — from the rules of war to just what we all believe as human beings should be right, we don’t want to see any intentional targeting of human life as it relates to civilians.

Q But for those young people, is there a concern that you — you could alienate them? You have an election coming up. It’s a crucial voting bloc. But also, it’s a crucial constituency of citizens in this country who are — who are very loud and clear right now on how they feel about where we — where — how this is going, should I say.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yeah.

Q So, is there a concern about alienating this particular population?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, let me say I do understand their concerns. And I will never attempt to stifle or silence young people from expressing their concerns. That is the part of what — that is part of what we do in a democracy is allow that to occur.

My position on the issue remains as I’ve repeated now a couple of times. But it is important that we create environments for our young leaders to express themselves.

AIDE: Nadia.

Q On Gaza again. UNICEF said that there’s 400 children either being killed or wounded in Gaza daily. Entire families are being wiped out. You alluded to that. I know some of them personally. Some believe that the U.S. credibility is at risk now because they doubt, actually, that you’re exerting enough pressure on Israel.

So, Madam Vice President, why don’t you call for a ceasefire, like Senator Dick Durbin just announced now, whereby maybe it is some kind of hope where all the hostages will be released and maybe Hamas can be disarmed peacefully instead of carrying on with this war?

And I have another question.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: So, what I will say, again, is, to your point about the lives that have been lost — children, innocent civilians — it is something I care deeply about. And I understand the pain, and I don’t know that anyone could look at or hear — the photographs or hear the stories and not feel some level of pain.

The President has said and I certainly do believe that when we think about humanitarian pauses that we should seriously consider them, in particular as it relates to giving the opportunity and space for aid to reach Gaza and the people there, in terms of what needs to happen to create any safe passage for civilians, much less for hostages to get out. And so, I do believe that that is something we should seriously consider.

mcmagic posted:

I wonder if Wolf got disinvited from the AIPAC gala this year........

External Organs posted:

lmfao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

It's funny that one side of this catastrophe is so wildly based that the propaganda that's supposed to make them look bad just makes them look badass.

Everything is awful, so take a moment to smile at liberty valley, where the statue of liberty rests above the biggest underground rail system the US has ever had.

It's so gaudy that that they're using AI for this. There's just this particular patina to AI generated "art" that makes it obvious.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
this is Just a preview of whats coming for the israeli project. these people are being smart by leaving while they can.

https://x.com/ragipsoylu/status/1720195697427841316?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

hadji murad posted:

thanks for the links about that interview good folks of cspam

There's actually a slightly longer one than the ones that have just been posted (if anyone has it) that has a few extra lines before those ones start.

What happens is Wolf is like "can you confirm that the IDF was aware there were civilians at the site before it was bombed?" And the dude is just like "yeah, I can confirm that" deadpan because it doesn't even click for him that it's a bad thing. It takes a few more questions for it to really hit him that Wolf is asking an ethical question and he might be making the IDF look bad. Like it just doesn't occur to the guy for a while

I felt like that exchange and the following realization was what was the craziest part of the clip

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/onetruescotman/status/1720146277290144114

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1720208062785769741?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

this is pretty big if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Ytlaya posted:

Right now there are probably hundreds of thousands of people in Gaza knowing they just lost their children/brothers/sisters/etc. And tens of thousands more dealing with the pain of their physical injuries with little material support.

It's impossible to fully wrap your head around. Such a huge number of people are having the worst experience of their entire life right now. Parents knowing their children are gone, and many of the children who survived are dealing with life-altering injuries. It's one thing to know this in the abstract, but it just goes beyond anything that can properly be described.

Westerners justify and defend a government that drops $100,000 bombs to kill one 'target' and sacrificing hundreds of others, often children. It is truly sickening and hard to reconcile with that these attitudes exist amongst my daily life.