Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I'm almost at challenge rank 20 (solo) in Inkbound now (and have also done a couple of rank 20 runs in multiplayer, but it only increments the challenge rank one at a time?), and the game is definitely on the easy side.
The only reason I'm running into problems occasionally is because I'm trying some weird build that's required for some quest or achievement.

Like Monster Train, it's not really all that tightly balanced. There's a ton of broken synergies, and you can often win on numbers alone.

Edit: I'd honestly say multiplayer is easier than singleplayer though, at least if you communicate.

Yeah, it's definitely pretty easy on both modes (a large majority of my runs have been wins) but the difference in enemy HP alone between solo and 2-player is huge. In co-op you do tiny chip damage to most enemies unless you stack debuffs and use all your skills to appropriately set up combos, or just have an excellent build. In Solo you can play Godslayer and throw spear -> whirlwind to instakill everything every turn right from the start :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Like Monster Train, it's not really all that tightly balanced. There's a ton of broken synergies, and you can often win on numbers alone.

To be honest that's what I liked about monster train over slay the spire. I always found it fun that I could take a relatively weak monster and permanently upgrade it into a WMD, or put hold over on a healing spell to indefinitely rejuvenate an awoken unit. It always felt like I could intentionally break the game with some kind of synergy I cooked up. Meanwhile in slay the spire, I never got the feeling I was creating synergies or card engines and more so just scrounging together whatever crumbs the game gave me.

Not to mention that in monster Train it's more feasible to save yourself when you're in a vulnerable low health state after a hard fight, because enemies aren't going to be able to immediately attack your pyre, giving you an opportunity to scrape by if you play it right. In slay the spire It would just piss me off if I lost a lot of health in one fight, and then I would go to the next without any opportunity to heal, and then because of my first hand draw its mathematically impossible for me to defend myself and the run ends.

I'm sure that for others in the thread that's what is appealing to them about slay the spire- improvising and making do with what's offered to you, and the importance of damage aversion to set yourself up better for the next fight. For me though, it's just not a satisfying level of control over the circumstances and my strategy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My Solo vs Multiplayer Inkbound experience is me picking Obelisk and doing my 3 in the first encounter and in Solo, that takes off like 50% health, and in MP it's like a gentle caress across their healthbars.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I beat the tower of miracles in Shiren 5, but I'm not sure what to do next. There's lots of other dungeons with different rules, are there some I should do before others?

And it it's one I can't bring equipment into, what happens to my current equipment? I don't want to lose my upgraded weapon and shield and stuff.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Do any that you wish. Primordial Chasm is best though. Just a standard no items fresh lv1 roguelike setup. I think that’s Primordial Chasm, iirc.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

A Strange Aeon posted:

I beat the tower of miracles in Shiren 5, but I'm not sure what to do next. There's lots of other dungeons with different rules, are there some I should do before others?

And it it's one I can't bring equipment into, what happens to my current equipment? I don't want to lose my upgraded weapon and shield and stuff.

There should be 10 or so other dungeons that can be unlocked around the world - they might require talking to npcs around town, or taking specific companions to the top of the tower of miracles. (Guide here). Those will be the ones I’d recommend going for first, since they’ll have more interesting gimmicks and (a tiny bit of) story. The dungeon house has all the bonus dungeons that were added as free dlc back in the ds and vita release, so there’s tons of content but less bespoke rule changes.

If you’re looking for specific recommendations, Onigiri hollow is a good postgame dungeon to get your feet wet with, since it’s short and the gimmick is novel but straightforward to play around. Pitfall of life is also much less punishing than you might assume.

For harder dungeons, Primordial Chasm and Bizzare Tower are my favorites. Primordial for being just pure Shiren with no gimmicks, and Bizzare Tower because I like the gimmick with needing to cycle through all the different rules.

Anything you’re carrying with you is lost when you enter a no-item dungeon (I believe you’ll get a popup warning you about it) so make sure to leave your good gear in the storehouse.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

LordSloth posted:

I believe it did. At a glance wasn’t to my interest (subgenre, reflexes), so I’ll let someone else chime in or do a thread search tomorrow and link to a post.

I will quote something from reddit in response to someone asking about bad reviews that seems particularly relevant , about two and a half months ago

Thanks for this!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Astral Ascent discussion Jan 2, 2023
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3563643&pagenumber=1278&perpage=40&highlight=Astral+Ascent#post528811560

Astral Ascent bare mention
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3563643&pagenumber=1173&perpage=40&highlight=Astral+Ascent#post522767949

So, it sort of seems like I imagined/confused it with a similar title - barely any discussion here. I only get ten direct mentions, not counting responses to another post where it was named. I swear I recall hearing more about the game, but I'm not even finding hits on it during the demo fest, so I'm at a loss whether I'm using the search wrong, it just wasn't discussed, or I'm confusing it with another title.

Edit: I think my brain conflated Astral Ascent with Spiritfall, which is, according to steam, also an action roguelite platformer, with an extremely conceptually similar name. As the meme goes, you can show me (a very slow and turn-based guy) a picture of both, and I'd go "you're holding up the same picture"

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 3, 2023

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Rift Wizard: good

The part where half my deaths past floor 5 are from me just not paying attention: bad

The part where the other half are all from weird interactions that just make me laugh in hindsight: good, actually

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

metasynthetic posted:

Rift Wizard: good

The part where half my deaths past floor 5 are from me just not paying attention: bad

The part where the other half are all from weird interactions that just make me laugh in hindsight: good, actually

Yeah most of my deaths are very much just not noticing I'm at 14 health on autopilot

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Astral Ascent is good, as of recollections of at least 2 major updates on back---so it stands to reason they've found their footing and the launch in like 10 days or some such which is also supposed to be A Large Update should go well and make a splash once the bigger YT and Twitch folks start in on it proper to better get the word out.

First mini-update for Triangle Wizard 2, which is good as there was always that small chance the dev would just vanish into smoke again given the vast sums of time and how much of a surprise all is and has been throughout:

https://www.trianglewizard.com/post/new-triangle-wizard-2-version-v1-1

quote:

he first update to the new game :) Only a small list of changes, but I wanted to fix the talent bug as soon as possible. You should be able to update by just overwriting the old version with the new one; all persistent player data is stored in the .tw2 files found in the game's root folder.

Release notes:
-------------------------------
* Sometimes the talent screen could show an empty list of choices. Fixed.
* The burning status effect can now be spread by knocking burning creatures into others.
* Knocking creatures into other creatures can now also knock them back.
* Added a few more modifiers rare creatures may have.
* Added an option (switched on by default) that allows you to push allies out of the way by moving into them.
* Unlocking player options now also takes game session time into account.
* Added ability to reset unlock progress in options.
* Added option when resetting progress to randomize starting races and classes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Now that Tales and Tactics has actual difficult modes wow the balance is bad. Does their data collection really show that skeleton and dwelling are adequate traits?

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

No Wave posted:

Now that Tales and Tactics has actual difficult modes wow the balance is bad. Does their data collection really show that skeleton and dwelling are adequate traits?

Dwelling does suck big time. I'm not a big fan of progressing into bug either. Have you gotten any good use from the bonus traits?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah most of my deaths are very much just not noticing I'm at 14 health on autopilot

I wish Rift Wizard had a thing like Crawl does that flashes the screen and has me confirm to continue when I hit a certain health threshold.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Dwelling does suck big time. I'm not a big fan of progressing into bug either. Have you gotten any good use from the bonus traits?
I haven't tried hard enough to actually take advantage of them. I'm probably going to stop playing because you just get trolled for not going tank + a ranged carry which was fine when the game was giga easy but now it's just aggravating. Here's a board that can't beat the first boss.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In the land of Updates, Smash Dungeon got a fairly potent one after a fair while now to v1.1.0

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1144130/view/5708933803231137485

quote:

Along with the obvious bug fixes and minor QoL improvements a number of BIG new features have come in v1.1.0 and these mainly revolve around improving meta progression. Here's a list of the most notable ones.

XP
XP has been introduced which is gained by taking health from enemies. The more you hurt them the more XP you gain, its that simple.

More Player Skills to Upgrade
Previously Runes needed to be found so you could upgrade your players skills and there were 7 to find.
There are now 23 skills that can be upgraded and unlocked with most being unlock-able by Runes but don't worry if you don't find them as the skills can also be unlocked with XP. If you are lucky enough to find Runes the skills can be unlocked early. Upgrading skills is now done via the new Rune room or in Purgatory and is no longer available via the Stats menu option.

Purgatory
Upon death or when you have killed a Boss you will travel to Purgatory. Here you can upgrade your heroes skills, have a chance to change or upgrade Weapons/Armor in a Smelting area and practice using consumables in the Training Room. Some areas of Purgatory will required you to rescue individuals from the main Dungeon before becoming available.

Rescuing NPCs
Previously when you rescued a wizard you might earn some keys, bombs and a chance at a passive item. Now rescuing a NPC will give you those rewards AND also return the NPC to Purgatory which as previously mentioned, can unlock Player Stats or the Smelter early but don't worry if you don't rescue these as they are unlocked once you reach the required XP.

A new Room
As mentioned above you can no longer upgrade a players skills/stats via the Stats menu option. Instead this is done in Purgatory or a new Wizard Forge room.

Hints
To help new players a hint may pop-up from time to time giving you some guidance when something new becomes available or where I feel people have struggled.

Control Help
Painted on the floor of the first room of the first level will be your control bindings as a reminder or helper for new players.

Charging Special Attack
A great suggestion made in the discussion forum was to allow the player to recharge their Special Attack when they run out. This will be available in v1.1.0 and now when you run out of Special Attacks it will recharge when you kill an enemies with the weapon but the further on you progress the more kills required to fully recharge.

More info on collected Items
Another great suggestion was to provide the player with some information on what items do when you collect them which has now been added to v1.1.0.

Whats missing
Localization for the new content is not yet available and currently has English as a placeholder.
Hopefully soon.

But New Releases outright at last brings another Attempter of that beloved Shop & Dungeon gestalt: Delicious Dungeon

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2072360/Delicious_Dungeon/

quote:

Delicious Dungeon is a combination of action-adventure and simulation game. The player is the owner of a local restaurant in a fantasy world. But to run the restaurant they have to explore dungeons full of dangers and enemies to get the ingredients needed to cook delicious meals for their guests.

Delicious Dungeon combines dungeon adventuring with culinary simulation to give you the fantasy meals you can’t find anywhere else. You are an innovative restaurateur in a fantastical world. But to supply your kitchen, you must explore dangerous dungeons and conquer delicious enemies to acquire the ingredients needed for your culinary masterpieces!

Surviving in a fantasy world is hard. (No 24 hour groceries or food delivery services.) You have your own cozy restaurant and homestead. But that’s not enough to satisfy the adventurous tastes of your customers and yourself. You need fresh, exciting ingredients to use in your dishes, and the fastest, cheapest way to get them is by going dungeon-diving.

The Dungeon:
Explore the woods! Fight monsters! Loot them for ingredients! Forage for plants and other hidden treasures. Boss monsters can offer a generous restock and even some rare materials!

Too busy to butcher your way through the dungeon? Hire the local adventure's guild! They will gladly take it upon themselves to bring you the ingredients, for the right price (and maybe a complimentary dinner?)

The Restaurant:
Manage your resources wisely! Plan the dinner based on what you have in your larder. Master several cooking techniques through mini-games. Don’t worry, your fellow villagers know that good food takes time, they’re not going to rush you. But don’t be fooled by their rustic ways, some are food critics at heart, so quality is key! They’re not going to pay for a bad meal.

Don’t want to spend your nights in the kitchen? Hire helpers to do the cooking for you! However, you still have to take care of the menu and the evening opening, it's still your restaurant after all.

The Village:
You can’t have a restaurant without customers! Here, you can get to know your clientele, and do some impromptu market research: find out what they think of your restaurant, what foods they want to try, or what their favorite dishes are.

You can also go to local vendors to improve your cooking utensils, or buy new spices, or hire helpers.

All done for the day? Then hit the sack to save your progress and get ready for another day in the delicious dungeon!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

and in MP it's like a gentle caress across their healthbars.

There's only a word filter when you're logged out, "it's like a gently caress across their healthbars" is fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

No Wave posted:

I haven't tried hard enough to actually take advantage of them. I'm probably going to stop playing because you just get trolled for not going tank + a ranged carry which was fine when the game was giga easy but now it's just aggravating. Here's a board that can't beat the first boss.

I played the demo of this game because I love Vivid Knight and wanted another game like it, but it just made me want to play Vivid Knight instead.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kanos posted:

I played the demo of this game because I love Vivid Knight and wanted another game like it, but it just made me want to play Vivid Knight instead.

I would kill for a Vivid Knight sequel. Hands down the best single player autobattler. There are other autobattlers I like (Yi Xian, Mechabellum) but they are MP focused and not as cute.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Snooze Cruise posted:

I would kill for a Vivid Knight sequel. Hands down the best single player autobattler. There are other autobattlers I like (Yi Xian, Mechabellum) but they are MP focused and not as cute.

Good news!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2468550/Vivid_World/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh poo poo! ok i won't murder anyone now.

hmm i think i like it more when all the units were shiny like candy but the new look will probably grow on me. i like the new protag running around with a suitcase.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I beat cryptark rogue mode! Party Bug’s old LP was a great guide on how to play effectively. Very satisfying.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Finally tried Into the Breach. God this game pisses me off. Super fun combat system with tons of interactions but it's a mental torture simulator because players don't deserve to restart turns more than once per battle and don't deserve to restart battles period. Three hour run thrown away because you get tired of mentally mapping out every single move, and this is literally how you will lose all of your runs. I hope more devs rip off the copious good parts of this game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Vivid Knight is a lot of fun and I'm glad it's getting a sequel.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No Wave posted:

Finally tried Into the Breach. God this game pisses me off. Super fun combat system with tons of interactions but it's a mental torture simulator because players don't deserve to restart turns more than once per battle and don't deserve to restart battles period. Three hour run thrown away because you get tired of mentally mapping out every single move, and this is literally how you will lose all of your runs. I hope more devs rip off the copious good parts of this game.

I loved ITB (65 hours) but yeah this is what happens when you pare a game down to its absolute bare essentials and have 0 fluff or wiggle room on it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I loved ITB (65 hours) but yeah this is what happens when you pare a game down to its absolute bare essentials and have 0 fluff or wiggle room on it.
All they have to do is make it easy to savescum like Spire does! I don't get what's lost by letting me restart battles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ITB is the game that made me dislike fully deterministic combat. With no sense of ambiguity or uncertainty and such strict restrictions on reacting to things in specific ways it feels like my actions never matter, in the most reductive terms it's like playing a game of Simon. All I'm doing is pressing the corresponding buttons in the order the game showed me to press them in. I disliked it for the same reasons I dislike forced tutorials that make you do things in pre-planned orders - I'm not here to click buttons while a game plays itself, I want to be the one deciding what to do damnit.

E: this is probably why I like random co-op in Inkbound more than playing solo too. Adding in the uncertainty of what my teammate is going to do is what makes it challenging and unique every run!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 4, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We live in a deterministic universe. Do any of our actions really matter?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I'm not even sure of the point of save-scumming ITB. There's hardly any :xcom: like stuff happening, so it's just giving yourself God Mode. As in maintaining your concentration without making mistakes is the difficulty of the game, and save-scumming completely removes it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm not even sure of the point of save-scumming ITB. There's hardly any :xcom: like stuff happening, so it's just giving yourself God Mode. As in maintaining your concentration without making mistakes is the difficulty of the game, and save-scumming completely removes it.
How is that possibly fun? I thought it was a game where you solved puzzles turn by turn and did your best given the random situations the game put you in. I see savescumming as LESS abusive than in games like xcom because redoing RNG rolls is actual god mode.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

No Wave posted:

How is that possibly fun? I thought it was a game where you solved puzzles turn by turn and did your best given the random situations the game put you in. I see savescumming as LESS abusive than in games like xcom because redoing RNG rolls is actual god mode.

I'm not sure what you mean, we're just saying the same thing differently.

Edit: I didn't even know you could save-scum StS, unless you meant restarting the seed from the beginning.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 4, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
hell yes thank you for informing me of this

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

ITB is the game that made me dislike fully deterministic combat. With no sense of ambiguity or uncertainty and such strict restrictions on reacting to things in specific ways it feels like my actions never matter, in the most reductive terms it's like playing a game of Simon.

This is something I've been thinking about...
I feel like my favorite roguelikes incorporate, as a key gameplay skill, making finely-balanced gambles. I need to figure out how to do that for my game, without turning it into oatmeal or making the player rage when things don't go their way. Like, it's easy to go from "this spell does 8 damage" to "this spell does 2d6+1 damage", but what does that mean for gameplay? My concern is that it will feel worse for the player to roll 3 than it feels good to roll 13, leaving the randomness detracting more than it adds, at least in terms of player emotional response.

I'm considering making it so randomness only really applies to enemy actions. Like, their damage output can be varied and they might miss entirely, but all/most of the player's buttons are 100% consistent. Combine that with balancing encounters so that perfectly safe play is not possible. I think that might produce varied gameplay, while eliminating/reducing the opportunity for bad feels? It's an interesting design problem, anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rift Wizard has nearly no randomness and instead makes it nearly impossible to account for all of the (deterministic) inputs so you just kinda yolo every turn anyway.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, Rift Wizard is a great example of deterministic combat that I do like. It's fine that the numbers are consistent and deterministic, because it's not showing me diagrams of exactly what the enemy will do next turn and highlighting the tiles I should stand on like ITB does, and there's generally not one specific thing to do with a given piece of foreknowledge (e.g. how in ITB you generally always want to stand on squares that the enemy is emerging from). And I think for a match-3 puzzler roguelike a high degree of determinism is fine, because it's a puzzle game by nature and people play puzzle games to puzzle deterministic things out. Demon Crawl is a roguelite minesweeper that a lot of people (including myself) bounced off of because of how non-deterministic it was for a hard logic puzzle game.

Having ITB-style full determinism in a match-3 game would be something like showing players exactly what tiles will fall onto the board after they make a swap. Or in Tetris it would be showing every sequential piece that will drop down on the pause menu, not just previewing the next one live. Those things would take away any sense of uncertainty about the future and instead of reacting to the current situation, they would become games about thinking through every step all the way to the end and knowing exactly how it will play out, then just going through the motions.

e: It's also worth noting that I have notoriously bad/narrow taste in video games :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 4, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I would think that random symbol generation would be enough turn to turn randomness tbh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ITB is a puzzle game dressed up as a roguelike, and it's a loving great puzzle game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ITB good but FTL best

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If FTL had something else in place of its final boss it would be near perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is something I've been thinking about...
I feel like my favorite roguelikes incorporate, as a key gameplay skill, making finely-balanced gambles. I need to figure out how to do that for my game, without turning it into oatmeal or making the player rage when things don't go their way. Like, it's easy to go from "this spell does 8 damage" to "this spell does 2d6+1 damage", but what does that mean for gameplay? My concern is that it will feel worse for the player to roll 3 than it feels good to roll 13, leaving the randomness detracting more than it adds, at least in terms of player emotional response.

I'm considering making it so randomness only really applies to enemy actions. Like, their damage output can be varied and they might miss entirely, but all/most of the player's buttons are 100% consistent. Combine that with balancing encounters so that perfectly safe play is not possible. I think that might produce varied gameplay, while eliminating/reducing the opportunity for bad feels? It's an interesting design problem, anyway.

I think randomness in player action is good if it is something that can be worked around, accounted for, and made part of the main gameplay consideration. Randomness works in a lot of traditional roguelikes, for example, because you get the tools to deal with poor luck and bad choices, so you can afford to take risks. You got that Wand of Death for when you low roll damage twice and miss once on that troll who went from being very doable to about to kill you. You get scrolls of teleport, potions of healing, ways of gaining double-actions or a dig spell to burrow into a wall to face oncoming threats one on one if you need it. You sometimes get rude surprises when you try to use your abilities or items, but the mitigation potential is incredibly powerful. The more options your player has to potentially deal with different kinds of chaos, the more chaos you can potentally throw at them.

On the flip side, in something very straightforward like Shiren the Wanderer, you need to know what everything does because the amount of tools you get are finite and limited. You need to be able to look at that beastie wandering around, the weapon in your hand, and your shield, and know if that's a fight that is going to cost you resources and if that's something to avoid while trying to find the stairs ASAP. You do get some powerful resources, but they are generally restricted just due to how limited Shiren's inventory system is, and most of the time consumables don't solve your problem in the long term unless you've got some kind of murder follow-up. There's variance, but it's low- in Shiren 5 the attack damage and accuracy variance is only something like 10% unless specifically mentioned by an effect on your character, and anything that does an effect besides dealing damage is usually both 100% accurate and 100% effective unless an immunity is in play. Due to the limitations on your available actions, your character and how their actions will pan out can be treated as entirely reliable unless you've put YOURSELF in a situation where they're not and the 'random' part is largely the hazards in the environment and the resources you have access to to solve problems with.