Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Anniversary sale starts tomorrow, in-game items Nov 1-6, store/pack sale Nov 6-13. Also a mini-event similar to the one for the Sturmtiger last year, with the British TOG II as a prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Full patch notes: https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/1551

They added a skill bonus for RP! You get a percentage increase from +15% to +100%, depending on the number of targets killed (or damage done, for naval battles) and the game mode.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Airspawn on city gave me anxiety from people pulling hard turns as soon as they spawned. :colbert:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Solumin posted:

Full patch notes: https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/1551

They added a skill bonus for RP! You get a percentage increase from +15% to +100%, depending on the number of targets killed (or damage done, for naval battles) and the game mode.

Ah but you see gaijin secretly nerfed RP earnings by an identical amount to the "bonus"

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ah but you see gaijin secretly nerfed RP earnings by an identical amount to the "bonus"

I do expect this to be a thing, yes.

Unrelated, I've been saving some vehicles for the general sale, but I'm going to be out of town for a week. Oh well.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

has anyone said "so long gay archer" yet?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I never got the new tank map last night, oh well. I'm not sure if the 3/6/9 kill count RP bonuses changes much but seems like players are sticking around to try to get an extra kill or 2 which is nice IMO.

Edit: It's 3/6/9 not 4/6/9.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 1, 2023

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It depends on if your playing air, ground and navy, and it depends if your on arcade, realistic or sim. and its based on kills, except for naval, where its tonnage sunk

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

It'll ease the pain of those matches where you're the only one on your team who gets anything done and you still lose.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
New map is alright. There's an armored train on the middle point that has crew in it that you can shoot?? Not sure if it shoots enemies if you cap the point.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sale is up and they are absolutely gonna get my rear end with the 50% off Frank Knox. Already have the Moffet and I crave money printing

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yeah the Tiger 1 (I prefer the E myself) is easily one of the best tanks in the game but you wouldn’t think it when you see how well pubbies do in them.

As one of the pubbies who is currently driving (poorly) a lot of Tiger E as I grind my way into rank 4, I ask this with complete sincerity and out of a desire to learn: how? I know that a lot of my deaths come from skill issues (wrong spot, didn't cover an angle, pushed up too far, decided to cross an open field rather than use a covered approach, didn't get gun on target in time to win a duel), but in so, so many cases it feels like the gun underperforms as it fails to pen (sometimes through the side armor!) or the armor (while angled!) does nothing. You are up against many tanks that will happily pen you through your front armor at normal combat distances (which is unsurprising, since they were designed as responses to the Tiger).

I have looked for advice, but it is mostly "lol just angle bro" *eats HEAT shell through the gun mantlet from 800 meters*

Orv
May 4, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

As one of the pubbies who is currently driving (poorly) a lot of Tiger E as I grind my way into rank 4, I ask this with complete sincerity and out of a desire to learn: how? I know that a lot of my deaths come from skill issues (wrong spot, didn't cover an angle, pushed up too far, decided to cross an open field rather than use a covered approach, didn't get gun on target in time to win a duel), but in so, so many cases it feels like the gun underperforms as it fails to pen (sometimes through the side armor!) or the armor (while angled!) does nothing. You are up against many tanks that will happily pen you through your front armor at normal combat distances (which is unsurprising, since they were designed as responses to the Tiger).

I have looked for advice, but it is mostly "lol just angle bro" *eats HEAT shell through the gun mantlet from 800 meters*

Tigers are snipers, not front line assault tanks, despite what they look like and what Wehraboos might insist. Your job is to sit back and deliver Too Much TNT into the waiting ammo racks of anyone you see.

Mind you, don't mistake "these tanks are snipers" with "you should sit back at your spawn and wait for crumbs to fall into your useless maw."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Orv posted:

Tigers are snipers, not front line assault tanks, despite what they look like and what Wehraboos might insist. Your job is to sit back and deliver Too Much TNT into the waiting ammo racks of anyone you see.

Mind you, don't mistake "these tanks are snipers" with "you should sit back at your spawn and wait for crumbs to fall into your useless maw."

In a full downtier (so a 4.7-5.7 match with the H, or a 5.0-6.0 match with the E,) you can ABSOLUTELY wreck face up close. Any time you see that your Tiger costs 160SP at the start of the match, you go directly to a cap point, angle your armor to incoming threats, and kill everyone obstinate enough to disgrace your cap point with their presence.

If it’s not a full downtier, then you follow the advice above and hang back a bit, supporting your team with your extremely good gun and decent armor.

If your Tiger costs 100SP at the beginning of a match, that means it’s a full uptier, (so 5.7-6.7 or 6.0-7.0,) and you do not bring your Tiger out unless you crave pain. They can still do OK, but the relative value of a heavy tank’s armor drops off drastically in the ~6.0-6.7 BR range as the guns and ammo get dramatically better. As a rule, I don’t spawn heavies in max uptiers.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Sale is up and they are absolutely gonna get my rear end with the 50% off Frank Knox. Already have the Moffet and I crave money printing

If you don't mind waiting/doing some grind you can get the Frank Knox from the warbond shop in this battlepass.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Got my first nuke and didn't realize until after I spawned in my attacker. :rip:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Before I go into an effort post about Tigers I’m going to put my scorching hot take first; you can snipe in a Tiger but they’re honestly much better at brawling and sniping should be left to the Panthers. As for downtiering/uptiering I tend to take the opposite view to some others in this thread; if I’m in a full downtier I tend to play more conservatively and attack from greater distances. Opposing tanks will have trouble penetrating my armour at distance or may not be able to penetrate at all, while my gun can destroy them at any practical distance. Conversely if I’m in a full uptier then they can easily kill me at any distance while I may struggle to penetrate their armour, so I’ll opt to close the gap and make as much use of cover as possible to even those odds. It’s the War Thunder equivalent of taking the Enterprise into the Mutara Nebula. I’ve had a lot of success playing aggressively in the Tiger and have found it to be a much more enjoyable experience than pixel hunting, assuming you have decent situational awareness.

ArchangeI posted:

OK so the Tiger, AKA the Panzer VI, or HITLER’S UNSTOPPABLE WAR MACHINE if you’ve seen too many terrible documentaries from the turn of the century, is a bloody good tank. Unfortunately a lot of people get too hung up on the armour, which while certainly good (and massively exaggerated by the aforementioned terrible documentaries), can be quite handily defeated by most tanks it encounters as you’ve pointed out. Instead, consider:
  • It is remarkably quick and agile for a heavy tank of its weight.
  • It has an excellent reverse capability with multiple gears allowing it to reach speeds of up to 8kph.
  • The tank and gun are well balanced and handle nicely. The tank settles quickly when coming to a rapid stop and the gun responds well to rapid movement.
  • Unless you’re unfortunate to be stuck in a full uptier, said gun is capable of frontally penetrating and destroying nearly everything it encounters at any realistic combat range.
Drawbacks are pretty minor, and really the only two that spring to mind with any significance is the lack of a sloped UFP and the ammo being stored in sponsons on the sides of the hull.

For a mere 0.3BR extra, the Tiger E gets to enjoy the following advantages over the Tiger H1:
  • More powerful engine and is noticeably faster.
  • Quicker turret traverse.
  • Mantlet has better armour and bounces even more shots with volumetric shenanigans.
  • Cupola is no longer a glaring weak spot.
  • LFP is covered with track links providing an extra 30mm of armour.
  • No stupid smoke launchers to get in the way of your gun barrel.
Theres also a pintle mounted machine gun and you get AP ammo but these are meh. The rest is well worth the extra BR.

As for how to put this into practice, I would say that the best way to play the Tiger is to play as if you don’t have any armour. Angling is good and you should keep doing it, and going hull down is even better, but if you’ve taken your shot use that excellent 8kph reversing speed and get out the way of return fire. Even if an enemy tank cannot penetrate your front armour, if they can take out your gun barrel and a track and flank before you can repair yourself, you’re in big trouble. There are situations where you can lean on your armour and press your advantage, but if you’re still learning then its best to play it safe. I’ve found the situations where you don’t rely on your armour are the times that armour will save you.

I mentioned earlier that I like aggressive brawling in the Tiger. Yes it means I’m in the lethal envelope of their guns at all times but they’re in the range of mine. They also usually have to think about where they have to shoot me whereas I can normally just click centre of mass and be done with it. The Tiger’s excellent agility and reversing speed really help with flanking, repositioning and retreating. Aggressive doesn’t mean reckless though; it does mean guarding your flanks, listening out for engine sounds, watching for any environmental changes that indicate the presence of a vehicle (falling trees and tall objects is a good telltale sign). I’ve noticed that a lot of players don’t seem to know quite what to do when surprised by a sneaky and aggressive Tiger, and will often try and take the gunner out instead of aiming for the glacis. The Tiger’s mantlet is absolute bullshit and will bounce all manner of things it has no business doing. While it doesn't do much against HEAT slingers, always always angle. Hell drive down a street in a zig zag pattern if you have to.

Another important recommendation is to use Pzgr ammo over Pzgr 39. You lose a very small amount of penetration capability in exchange for a lot more explosive filler, and it means that any penetrating hit will almost certainly take out the tank.

Other than that it’s the usual stuff that applies to any tank really. Move from cover to cover, try to protect your flank as best you can, avoid cresting raised terrain etc. I apologise if this post is a bit of a rambling mess as its been a very long day and I'm shattered.

Also has anyone elses FXAA stopped working since the patch dropped?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Theres also a pintle mounted machine gun and you get AP ammo but these are meh. The rest is well worth the extra BR.

That extra machine gun has given me more than a few plane kills. Even if you just tag them that can still count as a kill if they crash later.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Another important recommendation is to use Pzgr ammo over Pzgr 39. You lose a very small amount of penetration capability in exchange for a lot more explosive filler, and it means that any penetrating hit will almost certainly take out the tank.

Pzgr 39 still has over 100 g of explosives, usually enough to kill and definitely enough to cripple with any serious hit. I wouldn't exchange penetration for more explosives.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Also has anyone elses FXAA stopped working since the patch dropped?

The game has looked extra jagged for the last few weeks for me

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Most pubs also take way too much ammo in their Tigers, so that any penetrating shot detonates their tank. They're basically RP pinatas.

Orv
May 4, 2011
In no universe would I call 8kph a good reverse speed and I don't really agree with playing Tigers aggressively given how the game is now filled to the brim with things that can make swiss cheese of them but it's a good post.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Do your best not to expose the tigers left side. The ammo storage on that side is easy to hit and is one of the last ones in the hull to get used.

Orv posted:

In no universe would I call 8kph a good reverse speed and I don't really agree with playing Tigers aggressively given how the game is now filled to the brim with things that can make swiss cheese of them but it's a good post.

Considering the other German tanks in that tier reverse at 3 kph the tiger backs up pretty quickly.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

For anyone else flying the Vark, for grinding purposes my advice is 4 napalm bombs on your innermost pylons, take the cannon in your internal bay, and upgrade toward MAXIMUM SPEED. Outrun the F-4's to the bases, drop 3 bombs on a base, then drop the last one on a road on the way out to toast everything rolling through it. If you stay fast you can also outrun most stuff on the return trip and ideally surprise somebody with a 1500km/h cannon pass through the nearest furball on the way back.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 2, 2023

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Farecoal posted:

That extra machine gun has given me more than a few plane kills. Even if you just tag them that can still count as a kill if they crash later.

That’s true actually and upon reflection I was being bit harsh. The AP ammo is genuinely worthless though, it bounces off everything but the flattest armour plate and has so little post pen damage barely anything happens even if it does get through. If that’s the gameplay experience I want I’d play British tanks.

Farecoal posted:

Pzgr 39 still has over 100 g of explosives, usually enough to kill and definitely enough to cripple with any serious hit. I wouldn't exchange penetration for more explosives.

This is down to personal preference obviously but I found that the Tiger’s gun is more than enough to frontally go through everything it encounters bar some full uptier heavies, and in the case of lightly armoured stuff like Hellcats will often overpen. Sure a follow up shot or two will take care of it, but every second I’m reloading to deliver those follow up shots are seconds that could give another player time to locate and destroy me, so ideally I want to one shot them and vanish.

Pzgr is quite consistent at having 11mm less pen at all distances in exchange for a 97% increase in TNT equivalent explosive filler. It still has more than enough pen to deal with the vast majority of threats it encounters (and you can just take a few Pzgr 39 shells along just in case), but now everything whether it’s a tank or lightly armoured tank destroyer will die in a single hit. I would at least give it a try and see what you think? I used Pzgr 39 for years until I gave Pzgr a go and now I stick to it religiously.

Farecoal posted:

The game has looked extra jagged for the last few weeks for me

Hmm strange. I’ve not played for a few weeks until the anniversary event hit so its possible the same thing happened to me. I tried using TAA which does work but looks blurry and awful and genuinely gives me eyestrain looking at it for too long.

Orv posted:

It was always the case really. From the very start the Tiger was up against the T-34-85, once the US came along there were the 76mm Shermans, and then later the British shoving the 17pdr into everything they could and so forth, all of which punch through a Tiger’s armour nicely. Admittedly there are more threats around now, particularly with the increase on post war vehicles that it can encounter, but the typical map size means the Tiger has always been within the lethal range of its opponents, outside of the really big maps like Kursk, which I don’t think is even in the rotation anymore because it was basically a shooting gallery for German players.

The reversing speed is relative and compared to its contemporaries its pretty good, for example:

Panther (all variants) 3kph
M4 (all variants) 5kph
T-34 (all variants) 8kph
Comet 3kph

The Panthers’ reverse is so painful in some situations I’ve popped smoke, turned the tank around and driven off rather than try and reverse out of trouble.

I think something that newer players will do well to keep in mind is that there is always going to be a situation where someone else is in the right place at the right time who will get a flanking shot off and blow you to bits before you even realise anyone is there. Ultimately if you are winning about half the time and dishing out as many kills as you are suffering deaths you’re doing just fine. Another strategy that works well is to hang back behind the pubbies and keep an eye out for dust being kicked up from incoming shots as the enemy team takes shots at your team mates.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Another shout out for Pzgr, an oddbawz video on the Tiger I dropped recently and he said in game 200g of explosive is the cut off for over pressure which that shell has and Pzgr39 does not. So you can bounce some shots and still kill people by over pressuring depending on where your shot lands.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

mmkay posted:

If you don't mind waiting/doing some grind you can get the Frank Knox from the warbond shop in this battlepass.

oh. Well too late

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Stevefin posted:

Patch is out, the dumb Italy leo AA is super stable without a stabilizer. its a better BTR 80, but without scouting, and open top

Yep it's absurdly stable and agile for the tier, who could possibly have predicted this outcome.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

When things go right with the Bkan, the matches are so insanely fun. It's also weirdly Sweden's first decent AA vehicle. Their sub-7.0 AA are all fun as semi-auto Tank Destroyers, but I can just not make them work as AA.

So far, Sweden has been my favorite GF grind. I've only run into one or two vehicles that haven't been a blast to play.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 3, 2023

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

When things go right with the Bkan, the matches are so insanely fun. It's also weirdly Sweden's first decent AA vehicle. Their sub-7.0 AA are all fun as semi-auto Tank Destroyers, but I can just not make them work as AA.

So far, Sweden has been my favorite GF grind. I've only run into one or two vehicles that haven't been a blast to play.

Sounds like you need to try the swedish AA-shortbus: PBV-301

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I got the SU-100Y as my sale present, it's pretty good fun. It's the size of a maus but it's like an ISU-152 with a gun that always works.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In a ground AB, sometimes the option for a plane will come up, I'll select it, and I get the "countdown until an air battle" bit, and the plane icons showing the one I picked in yellow. And then the countdown just goes away and no planes spawn. Why does that happen?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Keru posted:

Sounds like you need to try the swedish AA-shortbus: PBV-301

I had a lot of trouble hitting moving targets with the 301, but it usually insta-mulched anything coming head-on with the bonus that you couldn't get your crew machine-gunned.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Phanatic posted:

In a ground AB, sometimes the option for a plane will come up, I'll select it, and I get the "countdown until an air battle" bit, and the plane icons showing the one I picked in yellow. And then the countdown just goes away and no planes spawn. Why does that happen?

There are three options for planes in Ground AB. The first is fighter, then strike aircraft, and bomber. They each spend a certain number of points which you get from kills and assists and a few other things I haven't quite figured out. The countdown to battle starts when someone selects a strike aircraft or bomber. Both teams can fill up the other slots with fighters (light tanks get an upgrade to select strike aircraft/bombers if you have enough points). If the opposite side doesn't send up any fighters, the initiating side won't send up fighters either. That's probably what you're experiencing. Alternatively, if the initiating player dies before the countdown finishes, the whole thing is cancelled. It sounds way more confusing than it actually is, and you'll get the hang of it with more gametime.

It used to be that the initiating side could send up fighters anyways, and those fighters had all the enemy icons CAS planes get these days which meant any open top fragile tank was doomed to constantly get strafed by fighters looking for easy kills.

The air mechanics in Ground AB are a crapshoot, sometimes you get a heavy bomber and face no enemy fighters, other times you get one of the crappy Japanese bombers with one bomb or the enemy fighter spawns right within gun range right off the bat.

I really like Ground AB. I don't care what anyone says.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I am insane and would love a Ground Assault Realistic

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah some more structure to perhaps limit the "oh I'm dead because CAS" would be nice.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Got a missile to the face driving out of spawn, serves the fucker right.

https://i.imgur.com/dn1knUX.mp4

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This Battle of the Atlantic event is in danger of giving me hope for the future.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That mode is real fun and I’d love sub combat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It mostly makes me want a realistic mode version.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
What's the sub strategy? I played both sides a bit and tried creeping slow and deep, but something always spots me or a teammate gives away my position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

If it does layer modelling properly tuck in right under that and go for the convoy intercept.