Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I dont know posted:

I thought perfectionism and obsession are Slaneesh domain. Wouldn't single mindedly focusing on mastering one discipline be the kind of thing that drives an individual to embrace Slaneesh?

Only If you enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

I dont know posted:

I thought perfectionism and obsession are Slaneesh domain. Wouldn't single mindedly focusing on mastering one discipline be the kind of thing that drives an individual to embrace Slaneesh?

From what I understand, the Path system among craftworld Eldar, where you focus on one thing only and then do that for a long-rear end time until you've exhausted everything it can offer you (or get stuck on the Path permanently, in case of warriors and seers), is intended to keep Eldar from falling back into undirected hedonism like their ancestors. Eldars experience emotions of all kinds much more strongly than humans do, so I guess it's kind of like a society of recovering alcoholics trying to stay on the wagon after their last drunken bender caused a galactic apocalypse.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Funny because one of the first steps to recovery is supposed to be apologizing to those you wronged and I certainly haven't heard anything...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The only apology you need from some knife ear is the sound of them bleeding out.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Funny because one of the first steps to recovery is supposed to be apologizing to those you wronged and I certainly haven't heard anything...

Who exactly are they supposed to be apologizing to? It was their own civilization they annihilated. If anything it was an active benefit to humanity, as it removed them as the dominant power AND made Warp travel feasible again (unless I'm mixing up my timeline, there was an issue with the Warp having been becalmed for a while leading up to that).

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The birth of Slaanesh contributed to the warp storms that isolated humanity during the Age of Strife. It led to the collapse of the old human civilization until thousands of years later when the warp storms subsided, the Unification Wars on Terra ended, and the Great Crusade kicked off to create the Imperium.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 29, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm mixing my timeline then, because I know there was a period when the Warp was too calm for people to really use it for travel. And then something happened that disturbed it again - meaning far more danger but also meaning people could reasonably use it for travel again too.

edit: Wait, no, I'm kind of right. Taken from the wiki:

quote:

The birth of Slaanesh had the side-effect of clearing the galaxy of the Warp Storms associated with the era immediately prior to its birth. This allowed interstellar travel and communications to resume; the human leader known as the Emperor of Mankind was able to take advantage of this to unify humanity under his leadership on Terra and Mars, end the Age of Strife, and begin his epic Great Crusade.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 29, 2023

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, the 'gestation'/lead-up to Slaanesh's birth lasted thousands of years and was the Age of Strife. In M29 Slaanesh was birthed, most of the eldar died, the Eye of Terror opened, and the warp was becalmed enough for the Emperor to initiate the reunification of humanity in M30. But typically warp storms = travel is difficult and calm warp = warp travel is safe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Eldar were a society several millions of years into decay and depravity, if it helps to reconcile they way things shook out the Craftworld elder are kind of like their version of return to nature-survivalist-doomsday preppers. The only relevant part is that it lasted 10k years, and peaked in 29k as the galaxy wide warp storms all calmed and one massive gently caress off storm formed the eye of chaos as Slaneesh was born.

While that happened Human society went from 15000AD to 25000AD in the Dark Age of Tech on a continuous upward trajectory and reach such heights that a single 'modern' planet from that era could basically hold off an modern entire Imperial Crusade fleet, Macharian Crusade found a pristine Dark World, they refused to comply proceeding to hold them off for 2 years and wiping out 90% of the fleet, and literally the only option was to crash a comet into the planet and wipe them out.

Age of Strife was 25k to 30k, and was a combination of factors leading to it, psykers suddenly becoming high risk nukes, alien allies turning on fractured humanity, Men of Iron/Stone/Gold basically an AI race declaring war on everything, just a big pile of poo poo all around.

Apparently Navigators were genetically engineered during the Dark Age, pskyers started showing up 23K, then loving everything in 25k, and there's the whole secret society immortals thing going on, Perpetuals, and some rumor that the Emperor is actually just a genetic freak created prior to the Age of Strife.

Very little of this has any bearing on RT, but I would not be surprised to have a Perpetual show up in the game somewhere.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah wait, so Ghazkul Thraka having visions of the great Whaaaagh after getting shot in the head was just an Eldar loving around? Or was it more "huh I should throw some Orks at Armageddon, let's see, who's leaving a big aul psychic footprint...ahh ha! WOAH!" and they send the most devious ork who ever orked at it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Remember that to our heroes the age when the Emperor walked among his subjects is more distant than the invention of writing is to us. A lot of the confident assertions about what the Emperor did or what happened before him are so much legend and myth. Stuff like pariahs or the war in heaven have been retconned before. I wouldn't count on any of this ancient myth surviving a revisit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

My rationale for keeping her around was that She's the only one who knows details about what the prior rt was up to

My big conspiracy is that Argenta killed the old trader

I mean what you spoilered is more or less plainly written in text datamained from the releases so the big fans already know it to be true (though it could of course have been done to throw us off the scent of the real killer)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Remember that to our heroes the age when the Emperor walked among his subjects is more distant than the invention of writing is to us. A lot of the confident assertions about what the Emperor did or what happened before him are so much legend and myth. Stuff like pariahs or the war in heaven have been retconned before. I wouldn't count on any of this ancient myth surviving a revisit.

Yeah, and when Guilliman returned to the Imperium he spent a lot of time going "That never happened that way" and being irritated at the Ecclesiarchy but also knowing it was such a load-bearing part of the Imperium now he couldn't do much more than live with it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the book that the Imperial Creed is founded on was written by an arch-heretic. The foundational myths of the Imperium are in many cases just myth.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Woah wait, so Ghazkul Thraka having visions of the great Whaaaagh after getting shot in the head was just an Eldar loving around? Or was it more "huh I should throw some Orks at Armageddon, let's see, who's leaving a big aul psychic footprint...ahh ha! WOAH!" and they send the most devious ork who ever orked at it?

I don't recall the exact details, but basically they manipulated events such that Ghazkul rose to power as Warboss on their home planet rather than some other Ork. Probably by sniping the other Ork, but again I don't recall exactly how. They didn't send visions or directly lead Ghaz to Armageddon or anything, that was all on Ghaz.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the book that the Imperial Creed is founded on was written by an arch-heretic. The foundational myths of the Imperium are in many cases just myth.

Not just an arch heretic, THE arch heretic. Horus might get all the press, and Erebus all the dickery, but let's face it, when it comes to Imperial and Chaos religious practices, Lorgar has that all sewn up.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, and when Guilliman returned to the Imperium he spent a lot of time going "That never happened that way" and being irritated at the Ecclesiarchy but also knowing it was such a load-bearing part of the Imperium now he couldn't do much more than live with it.

While I do like that the Primarchs returning is shaking things up I liked the myths to the setting more than actually elaborating on the past because I always felt like the point was that the entire setting was probably built on a lie

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The chapter 3 city is a massive pain in the rear end to figure out. Owlcat has plenty of experience in making those large mysterious areas and completely loving it up so whatever improvements they make it needs to go to simplifying the whole area and not their usual pattern of making it so complex they can't even fix the problems and bugs it causes.

I assume you aren't meant to get into a fight with 4 medium difficulty enemies while solo, naked, and stacking several debilitating injuries but I could not figure out the alternative option and just used toybox to kill the enemies. Between the skill checks in that area, and some of the previous what appeared to be a save or die (as in game over) skill check during a story based boarding attack it's looking like they're still in their mindset of making difficult skill checks act as a softlock to game progress.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've been looking for gameplay videos of the beta and not seeing anything. How much did they depart from the rogue trader pen and paper rules? Is the health / wound system at up such that you're still playing rocket tag like the pen and paper, or did they make characters more durable for the sake of making the game play better in heavy combat?

Do they have heavy weapons in? Grenade or rocket launchers? Heavy flamer or plasma cannons?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Health/Wound: I assume very close to pnp, your starting hitpoints are determined by....body? and never change during level up.

Rocket Tag: the cover system helps a lot to prevent this, but you can easily get half your team killed in a single enemy turn if they hit you with a strong aoe while out of cover. More likely a boss battle risk and not something happening every other trash fight.

Durability: Yes? The momentum mechanic lets you get away with some insane damage dealing potential in a single round, and dodge/parry seem very easy to stack up heavily on your frontline combat units. Trying to face tank Chaos Marines or massive Demons will be a challenge

Heavy weapons yes but restricted by feats/training/characters. I think I've found one heavy melta that can only be equipped by a space marine, but I've seen enemies using heavy plasma lances and similar high damage weapons on rare occasion. What I've seen the most of are 1-hand plasma/flamers. You have to take the weapon proficiencies to use anything more complicated then a sword or a regular pistol.

Grenades are quickslot items that cost a standard attack but appear to be 100% hit for their aoe.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The issue in PnP is: why not use a lascannon as an anti-infantry weapon?
And then the lascannon does an excellent job of completely disintegrating infantry targets with one shot. Regardless of armour and toughness, because even with those you're still not an actual-tank.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's also the fact that in tabletop you likely have waves and waves of semi trained disposable grunts to drown the enemy in targets while your grizzled cadian sniper picks off the most dangerous foes.

It does feel like half the fights should include some kind of House guards, they have several fights where you have npc allies who may or may not contribute anything of value beyond making the enemy waste a turn killing them instead of you. Or just burst firing everywhere with you and your party constantly in the line of fire.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

wiegieman posted:

An unsanctioned psyker can live a long and healthy life if they don't use their powers. If they do, their lack of training and the rather absurd amount of specialized augmetics that even a garden variety Imperial psyker gets makes them very vulnerable when the warp gets away from them.

For an unsanctioned psyker who slips through the cracks in Imperial space, the most likely outcome is getting recruited by a chaos cult.

Idira is probably a Gamma -- strong enough to resist outside forces and do some things with her power, but not quite strong enough for the light of her soul to get the worst kind of attention in the sea of the warp.

yeah, a lot of people in the thread are overemphasizing the degree of risk associated with unsanctioned psykers to a pretty high degree, though in fairness that's in keeping with the contradictory lore (which often is deliberately framed from the standpoint imperial propaganda, and sometimes not-so-deliberately after the fiction started eating its own tail)

I'd actually say that there are plenty of indications that unsanctioned psykers can and frequently do live fairly long and healthy lives while using their powers if they're cautious about it and don't come to the attention of imperial authorities (or come to the attention of authorities who want to put their talents to work), though it is significantly riskier without training

most psykers are weak and consequently not of much interest to warp entities, and Imperial authorities are very, very, very obviously not catching anything like all of the psykers for sanctioning or purging - a given planet generally only gets a visit from the black ships once per hundred years or so and they take an incomplete tithe as an exercise in recruitment, fuel gathering for the astronomican, and a population-level eugenics initiative to try keeping the ever-increasing number of psychic humans in check through crude and obviously non-comprehensive purges

unsanctioned psykers are a danger to others, and a pretty obvious recruitment for cults and malicious warp entities (who are appealing in large part because they're often the only source of advice/knowledge and because, in this as in all other things, the Imperium's turbo-fascism constantly creates its own enemies), but "walking nuke" is an incredible overexaggeration for nearly all of them who don't fall into the exceedingly rare alpha/alpha+ category (maybe beta), and that's almost entirely a function of who they are inherently (and the increased attention from warp entities more powerful psychics receive) rather than something that would change with sanctioning/imperial training

Idira is pretty clearly nowhere near that level and has a reasonably long history of successfully working off-the-books for a member of imperial nobility while keeping her poo poo together enough not to be an issue, so while (from a roleplaying perspective) there would be plenty of characters who would buy into Imperial propaganda enough to put her down ASAP, I think that there would also be plenty of a more pragmatic bent - especially among those in-line to become a successful Rogue Trader

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There is an argument to be made that Imperial training with its emphasis on how you're inevitably damned and eventual failure is certain so be ready to die at every moment is less able to keep someone functional and emotionally-stable than being taught by a sorcery-cult.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been using the Deathwatch horde rules in RT and it does a good job of keeping the overhead on house troops low, but what it's done REALLY well is cement the usefulness of weapons like bolters and flamers. That lascannon or melta gun might have really good stats for poking holes in power armor but when there's 20 smelly chaos cultists surging at you down a corridor the player with the humble flamer is the hero.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
40k lore has been wildly inconsistent with the threat of chaos and psykers.

Originally, chaos and knowing about it were such an insane memetic hazard that you would wipe out an entire planet for a single cult. The first war of Armageddon was against chaos and the reward for the surviving Imperial Guard was that they were liquidated by the Inquistion so no one would know. Even Space Marines weren't immune, but they were too valuable to get killed so they would just get mind wiped.

The threat for any psyker strong enough to make a connection to the warp isn't them casting a warp storm and wiping out a city, it's being able to hear about Chaos and tell other people.

I don't think Games Workshop really cared too much about the fiction prior to the Horus Heresy series, because that's when the real Lawful Stupid stuff started coming into play about the Emperor aggressively and violently prohibiting any kind of worship and never telling anyone why.

Modern 40k stuff just gave up on that pretense and everyone knows dark poo poo lives on the other side of reality.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whats the difference between a Master Tactician and a Grand Strategist :thunk:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In a general sense, there's usually going to be a lot of crossover but a good tactician would excel at the small picture while a strategist would excel at the big picture. Basically the difference between masterfully conducting a single battle, and knowing how to get the right people and supplies into position to conduct all those battles for you.

In context of how they differ in RT, I have no clue.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lord Koth posted:

In a general sense, there's usually going to be a lot of crossover but a good tactician would excel at the small picture while a strategist would excel at the big picture. Basically the difference between masterfully conducting a single battle, and knowing how to get the right people and supplies into position to conduct all those battles for you.

In context of how they differ in RT, I have no clue.

My dumb guy brain says one buffs allies, one debuffs enemies.

I bought into the beta and played through the tutorial. Do they not have dual wielding figured in? When tooling around with weapons it seemed like once I attacked with one weapon it locked the other out, even if running like dual blades / pistols.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't think dual-wielding is a thing, not really. How it works is that you get one attack action per round with a single weapon, and though Marksman and Warrior Momentum skills allow multiple attacks per round when triggered, you're still limited to using one weapon in either hand per attack.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

My dumb guy brain says one buffs allies, one debuffs enemies.

I bought into the beta and played through the tutorial. Do they not have dual wielding figured in? When tooling around with weapons it seemed like once I attacked with one weapon it locked the other out, even if running like dual blades / pistols.

The only benefit to dual wielding is a melee+gun because it allows you to make melee attacks of opportunity and shoot things as you are running towards them to kill them without swapping equipment. You also don't get forced to disengage in order to use ranged weapons when surrounded.

Swapping was also action cost zero in the beta, so that may be different in release however.

Abelard is the main sword+pistol guy, I guess if the weapons have enchantments that stack you could run with 2 swords that both boost parry, or two pistols that boost ranged attack.

The real minmax would be to have a weapon set with high damage, low penetration, and then an opposing pair to deal with heavy armor.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mortim has an excellent video on the changes to character creation. (And other things.)

https://youtu.be/r4K5HQibPHg?si=mw1okoxkqgFj_er-

I’m thinking a Forge World, Telepath Sanctioned Psyker, Operative/Adept to start.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 3, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Need to see the world of origins, but I'm absolutely going Leader Pyromancer for my first character.

I am so so so glad that they included all the psyker options from the TT books.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SpaceDrake posted:

Need to see the world of origins, but I'm absolutely going Leader Pyromancer for my first character.

I am so so so glad that they included all the psyker options from the TT books.

I'm probably going to go like hive born naval leader, and go for like a power sword and hand flamer. So a pyromancer of a different sort. Either way gonna BBQ me some heretics.

My beta character was a forge world sharpshooter and I wound up building almost exactly the same as the sister unintentionally, minus my character having more of an int slate.

Edit: I kind of wish the imperial / heretic / benefecient axis had a bar for scoundrel. Have it represent the non-heretical rear end in a top hat aspect. "gently caress you, pay me" as an aspect.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 3, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Mortim has an excellent video on the changes to character creation. (And other things.)

https://youtu.be/r4K5HQibPHg?si=mw1okoxkqgFj_er-

I’m thinking a Forge World, Telepath Sanctioned Psyker, Operative/Adept to start.

He's got a copy of the release version up to the end of Act 3, he's gonna drop a lot of content for it pretty soon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Odds are I'm gonna go Sanctic-Warrior with some Biomantic powers, or Biomancer-Warrior with some Sanctic powers, simply because that's how I'd like to RP (Imperialis all the way) :allears:

God-Emperor, only a month and three days away, I can't wait!

EDIT: Man, looking at the ship options has got my hyped like you wouldn't believe :syoon:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hopefully the psyker attack powers get a bit stronger via equipment buffs. I found the lightning staff attack to fall off pretty hard by the end of act 1.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

The only benefit to dual wielding is a melee+gun because it allows you to make melee attacks of opportunity and shoot things as you are running towards them to kill them without swapping equipment. You also don't get forced to disengage in order to use ranged weapons when surrounded.

Swapping was also action cost zero in the beta, so that may be different in release however.

Abelard is the main sword+pistol guy, I guess if the weapons have enchantments that stack you could run with 2 swords that both boost parry, or two pistols that boost ranged attack.

The real minmax would be to have a weapon set with high damage, low penetration, and then an opposing pair to deal with heavy armor.

Do the parry boosts from running a second sword stack though?

I guess if not that is justification for running an axe for the damage / pen boost and a sword offhand to get the parry boost.

Also someone please tell me power fists are in. I want to punch a tank so hard it explodes.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CommissarMega posted:

Odds are I'm gonna go Sanctic-Warrior with some Biomantic powers, or Biomancer-Warrior with some Sanctic powers, simply because that's how I'd like to RP (Imperialis all the way) :allears:

God-Emperor, only a month and three days away, I can't wait!

EDIT: Man, looking at the ship options has got my hyped like you wouldn't believe :syoon:

I'm also losing my mind waiting. Doesn't help that I'll probably be building a new PC at the same time, so I'll be playing this probably on a brand new RTX4070 with enough processor power to drive an entire voidship.

If you're looking at ships in the TT sources, though, remember that it seems like the starting ship can't be abandoned. It contains a shitload of archaeotech goodies that allow it to go toe to toe with cruisers and the like, and the Warrant of Trade aboard was literally signed by Big E himself. The Von Valancius line turns out to be literally more ancient than anyone even realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Do the parry boosts from running a second sword stack though?

I guess if not that is justification for running an axe for the damage / pen boost and a sword offhand to get the parry boost.

Also someone please tell me power fists are in. I want to punch a tank so hard it explodes.

Wrath was really good about letting you equip stuff, cast buffs, use consumables etc and being able to see if the effects stack or not, hopefully this is the same.

It was also important because there were some items that should have stacked but did not, and checking the stat changes was the only way to figure that out.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 3, 2023