Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

So she is the reason they nerfed Power Word, huh?

100%. that's definitely the reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ChewyLSB posted:

You can only activate actions on cards that you control. So Power Word can only be activated by the investigator who controls the card, same with Beguile. Contrast that to Shrine of the Moirai which grants the action to the location itself.

Oh right yeah, I forgot the wording on Shortcut(2)

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thinking about it, the Myconid is going to be helpful if you're doing gimmick 'command center' Seeker builds where you just camp on a low shroud location and do remote investigates with In The Know/Pocket Telescope etc. Toss up a Barricade, occasionally do a pointless Investigate on your current location to build up Growth, and cancel every treachery that comes your way with the Myconid.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Inadequately posted:

Thinking about it, the Myconid is going to be helpful if you're doing gimmick 'command center' Seeker builds where you just camp on a low shroud location and do remote investigates with In The Know/Pocket Telescope etc. Toss up a Barricade, occasionally do a pointless Investigate on your current location to build up Growth, and cancel every treachery that comes your way with the Myconid.

The myconid empties itself when it cancels, so you need to play growth at least once per cancel.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone itt play World of Horror? It’s a rogue-like video game that gives me strong Arkham Horror vibes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I tried playing it back when the early access version was on Gamepass, but it was too opaque for me. I couldn’t figure out what I was supposed to do, or what effects my actions had in general.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah that’s fair, it’s a bit more Arkham Horror second edition than the card game. Lot of randomness, it is a rogue like after all, but the more you play the more you learn about the encounter makeup for each location and what events use what star. Just reminds me of playing Arkham for the first time, parley because I keep losing :v:

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
I also played it back when it was on early access. Combat was very confusing and it was anti-climatic to beat the main monster by randomly smashing attacks.

Cool art and might be a total beast novadays! Didn't really feel like an Arkham-experience, more like an odd jrpg with jumpscares.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

High Tension Wire posted:

I also played it back when it was on early access. Combat was very confusing and it was anti-climatic to beat the main monster by randomly smashing attacks.

That definitely sounds like Arkham Second Edition to me tbh.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

That definitely sounds like Arkham Second Edition to me tbh.

Lol, fair enough.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

If killing an ancient unknowable being with a shotgun and a whip is wrong I don’t want to be right. :colbert:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Eldritch Tongue seems like an auto-include for the Countess, but it also seems like a pretty efficient value generator if you have enough parley cards in your deck.

False Surrender has a lot of nice synergies with other Rogue cards (two actions for Calculated Risk/Pay Day/etc, all the Trick interactions) and Fine Clothes reduces the difficulty of the fight action you take as well. Very solid.

Orange Devil posted:

Is there a spoiler season calendar yet?

There is now.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Tongue is interesting because it’s the first neutral arcane slot, and one of the first current outside of survivor to let you recur from the trash.

Wondering what a parley Wendy would like. Arkham Horror by the villain is Miss Hannigan.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Not a lot of Parley events at the moment. There's Persuasion and Existential Riddle (1) (Seeker), Motivational Speech and Interrogate (Guardian), String of Curses and Power Word (0-5) (Mystic). The new ones we know of in Hemlock Vale are Stall for Time (Survivor), False Surrender and Grift (Rogue).

The most immediately useful combo I can see at the moment is being able to double-tap any non-Elite enemy to instantly defeat it with String of Curses, but I'm sure there's others.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

We’re probably gonna get 10 more. Parley is back baby (wolf howl)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I know it wouldn't work with the new character and would break some rules, but part of me wants the action on False Surrender to be Resign instead of Parley.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I never thought it'd happen, but an LGS near me is doing Arkham organized play. I want the cool promos. How's OP usually work though? Do I show up with a cluever deck, a fighter, and a flex and pre-game with everyone about what we're bringing to a standalone scenario?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You build a curse deck and don't tell anyone until the game has started. Being able to get clues or fight is optional.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A couple more Parley cards:

No hand slot on Blackmail File is interesting. Looks pretty good too, though not for most Rogues.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Another Tome for parallel Daisy. Speak with dead lets you recover rituals, which previously you couldn’t do in Mystic.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’m trying to think up what gameplay distinctions disengaging and becoming aloof for one round would have vs being evaded (other than the flavor justification.) I can only think of edge cases like maybe there’s an enemy that only generates doom when ready?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

To evade, you may have to engage it. This makes an enemy aloof, for example, so Roland can kill it next round for a clue. There are also enemies that become ready during the enemy phase.

But it is niche, mostly designed to launder your free parlay actually into something else. Maybe Sefina could use it in four player. It’s also a +3 to evade for Leo.

Another plus over evading is that it the enemy doesn’t trigger alert, but keeps hunter. Which might be as well if you’re planning to put all the enemies in place or lure them into traps.

It also doesn’t exhaust. So you can get multiple chances.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 11, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I didn’t think about the use case for Leo, that’s a great point.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It also checks v. the enemy health instead of the enemy evade value, which could be good or bad depending on the enemy.

Also not being exhausted matters for a number of specific enemies; for example, the Glacial Phantasm from EotE.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Also doesn't turn off retaliate, but presumably you don't mind that.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It also means your guardian has to use an action to engage it to attack because it is now aloof, whereas evading would mean they could attack it straight away. So in niche cases that could be a downside, you are probably not using it if that's your team dynamic though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Finally got back to TFA today with The Boundary Beyond. We are doing quite well, trauma-wise, with only 1 each, but we whiffed this scenario.

Zero paths discovered. I had a rough go of things, with only three cards in the opening hand due to campaign scripting, and no ability to mulligan due to my weakness. Poor draws after that led to me wasting a lot of tempo on basic draw actions.

More crucial is that we didn’t understand just how important keeping ancient locations revealed was, and didn’t put together that it doesn’t matter that the clues stay on the location when it goes away, what matters is that more clues will spawn when the ancient location is revealed again. We opted to conceal an ancient location again instead of taking a doom, which on reflection is a huge net loss.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, TBB is one of the most punishing scenarios in the entire game. I don't think Return to TFA did much to alleviate it either but it's been a while since I played it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Once I realized we were sunk I just started wailing on the Harbinger.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Never flip a location back in that scenario imo. It usually takes more resources to flip it back and discover all the clues again than it does to eat the doom.

This scenario really requires that everyone on the team thoroughly understands how important tempo is and doesn't waste a single action not moving towards the goal.

The funny thing is if your whole team understands that and is able to play and build decks that way, it makes a lot of other scenarios quite easy and turns Ancient Evils into one of the best encounter card draws, because who cares about losing a turn you weren't going to need anyway because you're winning so fast?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 13, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

The funny thing is if your whole team understands that and is able to play and build decks that way, it makes a lot of other scenarios quite easy and turns Ancient Evils into one of the best encounter card draws, because who cares about losing a turn you weren't going to need anyway because you're winning so fast?

I kind of agree, but what makes Ancient Evils such a bad encounter card is when there are ways that it can be recurred because of the encounter deck being shuffled back together.

I really hate how often that happens in the later campaigns. Most of the time I'm not scared of any card I'm just scared that I'll be forced to draw it over and over again. I homerule Ancient Evils to have Victory 0 just to avoid that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I just always swap Resurgent Evils in unless there’s a more campaign-appropriate sub. Though, Resurgent Evils can also hurt pretty bad if you choose to draw two and pull another Resurgent Evils.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I haven't run the numbers but I think this is statistically a big upgrade, and it also lets you more easily dodge the Autofail.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Second hand musing from a couple of places/people (take with a grain of salt), says that on Normal difficulty with most bags it's about a 10-15% increase in success rate.

It's also real good if you're fishing for symbols or curses/blessings.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Even more bless slash curse tech. This is great for paradoxical covenant!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Finally, Henry Wan gets an upgrade

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I appreciate the tag line or whatever it's called.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kalko posted:

A couple more Parley cards:

No hand slot on Blackmail File is interesting. Looks pretty good too, though not for most Rogues.

I like that Blackmail File doesn't specify human, implying that I have a blackmail file on this swarm of rats. I SAW YOU EAT THAT CHEESE!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Parley stuff moving away from Humanoids is thematically a miss but a gameplay necessity. They're all unplayable outside of using Adaptable for specific scenarios otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thinking about the narrative/mechanical translation for Ad Hoc. I strap a shotgun to my hammer and bonk a monster on the head and fill them full of buckshot at the same time. The ol' double whammy, they call it.

His deck building rules are interesting and look pretty versatile, as befits a Handyman, I suppose. Need to see more of the new tools and weapons but I assume a bunch of them were designed with him in mind.