Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Retro42 posted:

There is far too much :effort: needed to determine if a batshit crazy Trump post is real or fake.

too many caps, trump's brain uses a different blend of boomer rear end word salad rear end emphasis

and its weird you can kind of almost just tell on instinct still if you're as poisoned as i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Retro42 posted:

So they are all gonna pass the blame until it gets to Trump where he's just going to brazenly lie his rear end off and say he didn't direct anyone to do anything. Feels like their whole legal strategy revolves around trying to convince a jury that it's "probably" not the Trump family at fault when in reality the judge who holds the power already stated they are less than trustworthy or whatever polite way Engoron said "You are all lying fucks".

This may be why Engoron stating that he found that Trump is "not a reliable witness," is a big deal. If everyone passes the buck up to Trump, and the judge finds--as he has already found--Trump is not a reliable witness, well then there's your criminal intent to defraud.

Also, attemping to bribe a sitting Federal judge is definitely something Trump should be charged with. Funnily enough, I'll bet such a case wouldn't fall in Cannon's jurisdiction!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Is there a good podcast explaining and making high level fun of this stuff, like we had for the Alex Jones trial and depositions?

Preet Bharata has a couple good podcasts. "Stay Tuned" and the "Cafe Insider" podcast that he hosts with Joyce Vance are both very good.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Staluigi posted:

too many caps, trump's brain uses a different blend of boomer rear end word salad rear end emphasis

and its weird you can kind of almost just tell on instinct still if you're as poisoned as i am

Not to mention there's an entire fully formed plan of action in there. Very un-trump

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
If the Truth burp were real, that should be enough to remove the case from Canon’s courtroom, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It’s kind of funny that no one here has a Truth account to go look up if it’s real.

I’m not going to be the one to open one either though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s kind of funny that no one here has a Truth account to go look up if it’s real.

Lots of journalists do so if that "Truth" was actually true I'd think it would be all over NYT and WAPO etc.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Not a lawyer so I have no idea if this is a bullshit article or not, but if its not....whew boy. https://www.salon.com/2023/11/02/le...urce=ironsource

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

You dont need an account to read his posts, just its replies.
https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1720130689545245108

"Eric Trump testified, at one point, that he had "never worked" on the Trump Org's statement of financial condition.
Later, he was then shown an email sent to him by a Trump employee from 2013 telling him the employee needed information from Eric Trump to help put together his father's statement of financial condition.
Asked by the AG again if he knew about the statement, Eric Trump said, "It appears that way.""

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1720128720478806371
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1720138943365042363

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: wrong thread

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

OgNar posted:

"Eric Trump testified, at one point, that he had "never worked" on the Trump Org's statement of financial condition.
Later, he was then shown an email sent to him by a Trump employee from 2013 telling him the employee needed information from Eric Trump to help put together his father's statement of financial condition.
Asked by the AG again if he knew about the statement, Eric Trump said, "It appears that way.""

I wonder if other kids are going to start invoking the 5th.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Cimber posted:

I wonder if other kids are going to start invoking the 5th.

Really doesn't help in this situation, since in civil trials judges can indeed presume the worst when someone Pleads the Fifth.

Won't stop them from trying anyway and whining about how this is persecution, though!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kibibit posted:

I would probably scratch OA from that list, due to the whole "host outed as a sexpest and creep to the point where his cohost left" thing

His cohost didn't "leave", after the allegations dropped sexpest kicked him out of all their accounts, including bank account, forcing him to go to court to try to get everything back including the right to make the podcast

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The best part is how Eric Trump will face zero consequences whatsoever for lying under oath because America

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/02/trump-fraud-trial-ivanka-seeks-pause-in-appeal-of-order-to-testify.html

quote:

Ivanka Trump asked a New York appeals court to pause the $250 million fraud trial of her family and its business empire as she appeals a judge’s order requiring her to testify in the case next week.

The request to stay the entire trial came at the tail end of a Thursday court filing arguing that Ivanka Trump will face “undue hardship” if forced to testify — in part because she is scheduled to appear “in the middle of a school week.”

New York Attorney General Letitia James urged the appeals court to reject that request, calling it a “drastic” and baseless move that “would upend an ongoing trial.”

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Think of poor ivanka’s kid waiting sadly on the steps of the school, forgotten. “Where’s mama?” they’ll say, but mama’s not coming. She is in court, and there’s no one to come and get them. They’re all alone.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

There is a solid chance those kids are at boarding school.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Also what happens when some poor SOB that isn’t an alleged multi millionaire gets summoned to court, family he damned?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Scratch Monkey posted:

Think of poor ivanka’s kid waiting sadly on the steps of the school, forgotten. “Where’s mama?” they’ll say, but mama’s not coming. She is in court, and there’s no one to come and get them. They’re all alone.

This goodpost is worth preserving for posterity.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Did anyone think of her poor kid left on the street corner when she was jetsetting around the world as a senior advisor to the President?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

perjury is for poor people. rich people get Amended Statements and A Recess To Figure poo poo Out

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also what happens when some poor SOB that isn’t an alleged multi millionaire gets summoned to court, family he damned?

Why, the courts in their benificence grant whatever accomodations are possible to ensure the child's life is not disrupted any more than it inherently has to be by the court proceedings, and alleged crimes that preceded those proceedings!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Courts shot down Ivanka tonight. Poor girl.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zotix posted:

The Courts shot down Ivanka tonight. Poor girl.

:rip:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
more courtroom drama focused around engoron's clerk

maybe someone with actual courtroom experience can weigh-in, but this whole tangent to the civil fraud case has just been bizarre. i'm not surprised trump would make these kind of public attacks on a court staff member, but his legal team doing the same after clearly being warned by the judge seems shocking to me

quote:

A defense lawyer took a pointed verbal swipe at the law clerk in the Trump civil fraud trial Thursday, prompting anger from the judge, who accused the lawyer of misogyny and threatened to gag him and his colleagues.

The temper-flaring, accusations, and judicial threats were sparked in the Manhattan courtroom by a wise-crack comment from Trump lawyer Christopher Kise, who was raising a routine objection during late-afternoon testimony by Eric Trump.

Maybe you should ask your law clerk, first, Kise said, his voice sarcastic as he addressed the judge in the non-jury trial, New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron.

Engoron has twice fined Donald Trump for similarly attacking the law clerk, Allison Greenfield, an attorney who sits three feet to the right of the judge, confers with him frequently via notes and has become a stalking horse for the defense.

Hearing her referenced with derision yet again, the typically affable judge hit the figurative roof, as Eric Trump watched, blank-faced, from the witness stand.

"All joking aside, do not refer to my staff again," the judge said angrily.

"The person sitting alongside of me is my principal law clerk," he said, adding that she is there to confer with him on legal issues that arise at trial.

"Sometimes I think there may be a bit of misogyny," the judge told Kise. "If you keep referring to my principal law clerk, I will consider expanding the gag order to include you and your attorneys."

The current gag order bars Trump and his co-defendants from any spoken or online statements attacking the judge's law staff.

Kise pushed back.

"Frequently, I feel like I am fighting two adversaries," meaning the state attorney general's office and Greenfield, he complained to the judge. "It's a fair comment as a lawyer."

"I'm sitting here and I have to respond to Mr. Amer and their arguments," Kise said, referring to one of the assistant attorney generals, Andrew Amer.

"But there is someone else sending you information on a different basis," Kise said of Greenfield, who he claimed he'd seen pass 30 notes to the judge on the previous day. "All I'm trying to say is that gives off the appearance of impropriety."

Kise also insisted, "I'm not a misogynist," citing as proof, "I have a 17-year-old daughter."

A second Trump attorney, Alina Habba, leaped to Kise's defense.

"I have issues with the person who is also sitting on the bench," she said. "I do feel, like Mr. Kise, that your position is often what you're given in notes."

The heated exchange was tangential to a weightier effort by the attorney general's office.

Eric Trump had spent the afternoon defending his sometimes faulty memory under direct examination by Amer, who is a special counsel to state Attorney General Letitia James.

Honing to what he'd testified in an earlier deposition, Eric Trump repeated on the witness stand Thursday that he was never involved in drafting the decade of annual net-worth statements that his father used to secure more than $400 million in bank loans.

The AG says these statements contained as much as $3.6 billion in intentional exaggerations each year; they are at the center of the ongoing trial.

On Thursday, Amer showed Eric Trump decade-old emails that appeared to contradict his claim that he was never involved in preparing the statements. He dug in under questioning.

"We're a major organization," Eric Trump told the AG's lawyer. "A massive real-estate organization. Yes, I'm fairly sure I understand we have financial statements. But I had no involvement and never worked on my father's statement of financial condition," he said, using the formal name for the annual net-worth statements.

"I'm on a thousand calls a day," the former president's second-oldest son later protested, when Amer confronted him with evidence of a 2021 video call where that year's net-worth statement was discussed.

At the end of the day Thursday, the judge did not expand the gag order. But before calling an end to testimony for the day, and instructing Eric Trump to return Friday morning, he had the final word – or rather, the final long paragraph.

"Mr. Kise and the rest of your team," the judge said, addressing the defense table. "I have an absolute right, an absolute unfettered right, to get advice from my principal law clerk," as with anyone on his three-member staff, he said.

"There is no First Amendment value that I can see to referring to her, particularly when making things up – and that's not you," he told Kise.

"That's somebody else," he said, likely referring to Trump, who's been in hot water from the judge twice for a Truth Social post that falsely said the clerk is the girlfriend of Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Kise said he's weighed the lawyer's First Amendment rights against the safety of his staff, and his "points are not well taken."

"I'm pounding the table," he said, without actually pounding the table. "I have an absolute right to have communications with my clerk."

It's the fifth week of testimony in the trial, at which James — citing persistent fraud — is seeking to ban Donald Trump, the two eldest Trump sons, and the Trump Organization, from doing business in the state.

not included in the article is habba's comment that she can't be misogynist because she is a woman and thus is immune to misogyny

attacks on the integrity of a judge aren't exactly great, but i see a need for defense to be able to raise those kind of concerns. choosing to focus on and publicize a basically formerly anonymous member of the judges staff as the insidious influence corrupting the judge from behind the scenes is gross, and i hope this comes back to bite kise and habba in the rear end down the road

this has to be vanishingly rare right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Because you asked so nicely.

To be absolutely clear, this is fake. The person who posted it on Twitter admitted it in a reply, if you just scroll down a bit:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Staluigi posted:

There's too many articles. It gives the appearance of a more complete thought that isn't present in real Trump posts. Remove 75% of the articles at random and it's way more believable

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

more courtroom drama focused around engoron's clerk

maybe someone with actual courtroom experience can weigh-in, but this whole tangent to the civil fraud case has just been bizarre. i'm not surprised trump would make these kind of public attacks on a court staff member, but his legal team doing the same after clearly being warned by the judge seems shocking to me

not included in the article is habba's comment that she can't be misogynist because she is a woman and thus is immune to misogyny

attacks on the integrity of a judge aren't exactly great, but i see a need for defense to be able to raise those kind of concerns. choosing to focus on and publicize a basically formerly anonymous member of the judges staff as the insidious influence corrupting the judge from behind the scenes is gross, and i hope this comes back to bite kise and habba in the rear end down the road

They have nothing to argue for an appeal, and so are now trying to create an issue to appeal. They've locked in on the clerk, because as a bunch of bullies they can tell that's what'll piss off the judge the most. The consequences they face tomorrow are irrelevant to them, because this is today and those consequences are for some future chump to deal with.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

As if she ever took the time to go personally pick the kid up herself.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It’s the sock full of poo poo.

Don’t forget Trump had Roy Cohn as a lawyer and personal mentor for a very long time. He will hire lawyers willing to use Joe McCarthy style poo poo sock slinging.

It’s not shocking it’s predictable.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Gyges posted:

They have nothing to argue for an appeal, and so are now trying to create an issue to appeal. They've locked in on the clerk, because as a bunch of bullies they can tell that's what'll piss off the judge the most. The consequences they face tomorrow are irrelevant to them, because this is today and those consequences are for some future chump to deal with.

Future Kise and future Habba are dickheads and gently caress them, we have a court case to lose today

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Gyges posted:

If they do try to use this to frame an appeal I hope they arrive in the higher court to find a law clerk sitting next to the judge.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The idea of even trying to make hay out of the law clerk performing the exact and precise duties of a law clerk is bonkers, it's like insisting something untoward is taking place because a lawyer is advocating for their client.

Though I am not sure if it's an attempt to cause provide as part of a scheme, or simply trying to stay in Trump's good graces (the most generous interpretation being maybe in the hopes he'll listen to their recommendations on his testimony next week?) and knowing that he gets real upset when anyone in his employ doesn't hammer whatever inane, insane, preposterous notion has crossed the lump of sludge that passes for his mind.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It has three "benefits"

-Trump is almost certainly demanding they figuratively piss on someone

-It feeds into the conspiracy theories that MAGA/Q inject straight into their veins like hydroxychloroquine

-The only possible chance to "win" this poo poo is to get the judge so mad that he makes an appealable mistake or has a heart attack

The down sides are of course so numerous and large that only loving charlatan idiots would do it. Which is conveniently the only legal council that Trump can/will employ.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, I expect that this is driven by Trump. Not in a direct manner - it never is - but by him constantly "asking" his lawyers why they don't do something about this clerk.

That's what he always does: try to pick out a perceived weak spot (by looking what gets a reaction) and then hit it again and again and again. That the judge has reacted to it first by angrily demanding Trump stop, then with the gag order and now by angrily demanding that Trump's lawyers stop signals to Trump that he is on the right track.

We'll see if that's the case.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

quote:

Kise also insisted, "I'm not a misogynist," citing as proof, "I have a 17-year-old daughter."

Amazing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

The idea of even trying to make hay out of the law clerk performing the exact and precise duties of a law clerk is bonkers, it's like insisting something untoward is taking place because a lawyer is advocating for their client.

Though I am not sure if it's an attempt to cause provide as part of a scheme, or simply trying to stay in Trump's good graces (the most generous interpretation being maybe in the hopes he'll listen to their recommendations on his testimony next week?) and knowing that he gets real upset when anyone in his employ doesn't hammer whatever inane, insane, preposterous notion has crossed the lump of sludge that passes for his mind.

Trump can really only find lovely moron lawyers at this point. See also an entire legal team taking plea agreements to testify on stuff they agreed to do for him in office.

Trump also now views everything as a PR battle to rally supporters with and is only comfortable with Cohn-style lawyers. These are great for intimidating contractors who can't afford multiyear legal proceedings and other vulnerable parties. The government is just going to keep grinding.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Maybe after this clerk finally winds up dead the judge will actually do anything at all about it, lol. Just incredible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

It has three "benefits"

-Trump is almost certainly demanding they figuratively piss on someone

-It feeds into the conspiracy theories that MAGA/Q inject straight into their veins like hydroxychloroquine

-The only possible chance to "win" this poo poo is to get the judge so mad that he makes an appealable mistake or has a heart attack

The down sides are of course so numerous and large that only loving charlatan idiots would do it. Which is conveniently the only legal council that Trump can/will employ.

Yeah, it's this. To be fair, I cannot imagine a better way to get a judge mad than personally attacking his clerk; in a certain very dark sense, Trump's lawyers are actually doing a good job, in that they're executing the best strategy available to them competently. I guess in New York there are enough judges out there that these lawyers don't have to worry too much about ever appearing in front of that judge again. In a smaller state this would be the equivalent of torching your license to practice law in that judge's county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mutata posted:

Maybe after this clerk finally winds up dead the judge will actually do anything at all about it, lol. Just incredible.

If one of the Q crazies guns the clerk down nobody will know in his heart of hearts what motivated the lone wolf. Everyone will say it because everyone knows it, and it'll be all over every news channel, but nothing official would come from it and Trump would probably end up with a delay in his trial like he wants anyway. Gotta make sure it's a fair trial after all, just that some people's trials are more fair than others.