Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One early game tip: if you bought or upgraded to the special edition that gives you all the DLC swag, do not claim it from the mailbox until you've got a good 4-5 storage chests set up! Each letter claimed dumps like 20 items into your inventory and while you'll be able to squeeze some of the furniture into your house right away, you'll still be left with a full inventory a couple days before you're in a place where you can craft/buy storage to put it all. I am certainly not speaking from experience in any capacity! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd recommend turning the time slower, although early on when you have low stamina and relatively few things to do, you can end up with a lot of dead time with no stamina, which you can use to build friendship up or just smell the daisies. At the default speed I felt punished if I ever spent time standing around or talking to someone out of my way, or just exploring, but with it slowed it felt more balanced, gave me time to look at my stuff and plan or goof off.

If you want the full pick of commissions, you actually need to race Mi-An (you can steal jerky or ore from her house every day lol) every morning to commissions office, she will pick hers removing an option for you if she gets there first. IIRC it was either 14 minutes on the clock or 14m was when I needed to be running across the train tracks to still beat her. Not sure how many real time seconds that is, but if I got distracted at my mailbox or checking my machines I would be too late. Might not be a problem if she takes one you didn't want to do anyway.

Here's some rambling thoughts about what I think I'll do differently on restart, in some cases because of things that might've changed over development, and from the perspective that I want to be number 1 builder in as few game days as possible (I think I got it in under a year, if not shortly after), finish all story requests immediately upon receiving, max all friendships asap, and not have any downtime for any machines. Spoilered because almost all of these are metagaming mechanical choices using what I know from playing that I couldn't in an organic first play-through.

I only ever did doubles of most machines, might consider going triples at least next time. Like the whole front area by my gate is a heap of chests, which was once superhandy, but now all storages are linked, so only one is needed right by gate, and next time I want my front door to open into gate with only enough room for a chest and eventually a local commissions board.

I would also hoover up everything (although often its just a stamina limit prioritizing immediately needed mats), there were a few items I thought of as useless for so long only to suddenly need or want a bunch to mass produce with suddenly for this or that. There were also days where I didn't take advantage of the cheaper meals at saloon for some extra stamina. I also sat on too much gold often that I should've either upgraded workshop with, or used to make more commissions for materials to avoid getting supply blocked on some ore or other easy resource.

I will also spend less resources crafting combat gear, main quest progression will regularly upgrade your gear for free as rewards and you can technically sometimes craft and upgrade gear to be better or have buffs you like more, the upgrade gems are probably best used for your main tools and weapons, or having a healthy stockpile for high-quality missions. I also think it's better to be aggressive with your CDs, getting those research goals done in fewer or just 1 day is really clutch and usually opens up a ton of good new stuff.

Mounts were also added late enough I never got into the habit of using them, but they can really speed up travel. If you're not extending time, that travel time matters even more. Same for learning what people like, or if nothing else carrying a stock of 2-3 commonly liked items. Later one you can use surplus materials to craft the high end furniture and machines for people to really gain levels faster. Some folks are easier as they really like the kind of crap you end up with too much of often.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mount tip:

- Horses have the highest top speed cap, stamina doesnt really matter much since you can just have em munch on something.
- The quality does not matter, you can cap out the stats with a basic grey horse which will only cost around 4k instead of 25k for a blue one. Don't get ripped off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy moly, buried in a mountain of mail was a new item, idk how late game or not it is, but it's almost making me want to start over now because my goblin tower is a lovely chaos mess that had absolutely no room for the fact I can apparently turn entire rooms into greenhouses or factories. these were not in the game at all last I played and seem like huge deals there'd be a questline about, maybe I auto completed by nature of being so far into game already. I just literally don't know if I have room and technically my house is illegal since I don't have the perks for 4 story house but when I built my house there weren't limits yet lol.

Also cool to see some of the untextured areas finally finished out, wasn't sure what that canyon was gonna look like but it's pretty dope now. Load times seem up again so hoping they do another optimization pass like they did early on. That might've been their one big trick there just to make room for all the new detail and such though.

Just finished a mega patch day bevy of quests, tomorrow is stacked w events, holiday soon, and poor Amirah following me all day on a play date I scheduled and forgot about lol. She did not enjoy the day of watching me work, even though some of it was for her commissions.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

Holy moly, buried in a mountain of mail was a new item, idk how late game or not it is, but it's almost making me want to start over now because my goblin tower is a lovely chaos mess that had absolutely no room for the fact I can apparently turn entire rooms into greenhouses or factories. these were not in the game at all last I played and seem like huge deals there'd be a questline about, maybe I auto completed by nature of being so far into game already. I just literally don't know if I have room and technically my house is illegal since I don't have the perks for 4 story house but when I built my house there weren't limits yet lol.

Also cool to see some of the untextured areas finally finished out, wasn't sure what that canyon was gonna look like but it's pretty dope now. Load times seem up again so hoping they do another optimization pass like they did early on. That might've been their one big trick there just to make room for all the new detail and such though.

Just finished a mega patch day bevy of quests, tomorrow is stacked w events, holiday soon, and poor Amirah following me all day on a play date I scheduled and forgot about lol. She did not enjoy the day of watching me work, even though some of it was for her commissions.

Yeah, these special rooms unlock after act 2 is finished.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha crazy, I did all the machining manually up until then (well fairly recently added the robo helper). Unless act 2 is considered the end of the previous content update.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

haha crazy, I did all the machining manually up until then (well fairly recently added the robo helper). Unless act 2 is considered the end of the previous content update.

Act 1 ends when Trudy returns
Act 2 ends when you fight some nasties in the spaceship ruins and send the big bad to space

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Number one tip is to build lots of chests, find an organisational scheme that makes sense to you, and make friends with the Sort All button. Come back from a mining/gathering expedition, open the first chest you see, click Sort All, and enjoy the feeling of everything in your inventory being whisked away to whatever chest already contains some of it.

The thing I learned the hard way in Portia is to parallelise your work, don't just built one of each machine. You don't necessarily want to go hog wild right from the start (each machine consumes water as well as fuel, after all), but building more machines lets you keep a stock of raw materials and make secondary products as you need them.
My personal goal is to fill all non-storyline commissions on the same day I accept them, and I build enough machines that I can reliably do this.
3-4 each of furnace, recycler, grinder, processor, 2 tailoring machines, and one of everything else

The fire-powered generator is far more useful than it may seem at first glance - instead of having to refuel machines as you use them you can just refuel one big furnace occasionally and otherwise forget about it.

Once you reach the second tier of machines you can queue up a second product to start automatically after the first is finished, and this lets you (with some planning) run your machines non-stop while you do other things like ruin diving or mining or murdering wildlife.

Scrap in the salvage yard regenerates every day, and you should take note of what bonus items each type of scrap pile yields and use that to your advantage. Some days I pick the whole yard clean, other days I just go in and grab the juicy bits to keep them stocked up in my workshop.

Khanstant posted:

I'd recommend turning the time slower, although early on when you have low stamina and relatively few things to do, you can end up with a lot of dead time with no stamina, which you can use to build friendship up or just smell the daisies. At the default speed I felt punished if I ever spent time standing around or talking to someone out of my way, or just exploring, but with it slowed it felt more balanced, gave me time to look at my stuff and plan or goof off.

Play the way that makes you happy, but my recommendation is to leave the time speed as it is. Slowing the clock speed also slows down your machines, and that's often as not what you're waiting on. The only things fixed on the calendar are festivals, you don't need to rush through to reach any particular milestone by X date.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Highly enjoying the full release quality so far. Started a new game so haven't gotten to all the new stuff yet but it feels significantly more polished. They've come so far since Portia's EA and looking forwards to what they continue to add, here.

My biggest thing to stress for people picking this up would be Food. The restaurant offers two cheap meals every day and for about the same cost as a single beginner commission you can full heal your energy. Lets you rapidly advance.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I found if I kept enough of everything ahead of time, I was never waiting on my machines aside from occasional quick pivots for surprise story missions and normal commissions same first day, using anytime for machine crafting replenishing stock. At default speed I also had lots of days where I went to bed with unused stamina or didn't have time to talk/interact to the folks I wanted to. Plus any day with that bastard Yan above me is one with something to rectify.

I'd compare it to Stardew where it technically doesn't have any time limits but also actually I absolutely want community done year 1 at least.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Omg the game doesn't look ugly as hell and voice acting doesn't sound like it's by college kids. Better than Portia already

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GotLag posted:

Number one tip is to build lots of chests, find an organisational scheme that makes sense to you, and make friends with the Sort All button. Come back from a mining/gathering expedition, open the first chest you see, click Sort All, and enjoy the feeling of everything in your inventory being whisked away to whatever chest already contains some of it.

Protip for this: You can hide chests and any furniture under your roof. Remove your roof. move the chests up there and then put up the roof again over them. As long as you can access one chest at the bottom you can scroll through all of them with 1 and 3 or the buttons on top.

Rynoto posted:

Highly enjoying the full release quality so far. Started a new game so haven't gotten to all the new stuff yet but it feels significantly more polished. They've come so far since Portia's EA and looking forwards to what they continue to add, here.

My biggest thing to stress for people picking this up would be Food. The restaurant offers two cheap meals every day and for about the same cost as a single beginner commission you can full heal your energy. Lets you rapidly advance.

Food is way too limited still if you want to rapidly advance. Buy heatstroke medicine from the vending machine in the ruins, average price is 220-ish for 100 stamina. Later in the game when you have more stamina the 100% refills for 1000 are a better deal.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shadowheart is done with all the mindflayer bullshit. Time to craft some infrastructure.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Khanstant posted:

Plus any day with that bastard Yan above me is one with something to rectify.
I am on track to knock him off the number one spot by the end of the first month

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Megazver posted:

Shadowheart is done with all the mindflayer bullshit. Time to craft some infrastructure.

:3:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GotLag posted:

I am on track to knock him off the number one spot by the end of the first month

It's absolutely possible but you will need to rush the 2 commissions per day perk asap. I also named my Character Yan with the same birthday.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FrickenMoron posted:

It's absolutely possible but you will need to rush the 2 commissions per day perk asap.

Not actually true!

You get an additional commission per day on reaching workshop level 2, and whole bunch of points for donating to the museum, and some of the story commissions have supporting request board commissions that don't count towards your daily limit

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GotLag posted:

Not actually true!

You get an additional commission per day on reaching workshop level 2, and whole bunch of points for donating to the museum, and some of the story commissions have supporting request board commissions that don't count towards your daily limit

It helps you get out of the 1 commission per day initial slump and then it keeps on stacking so you max out at 2/3/4 commissions per day instead of 1/2/3. Keeping up with doing them daily is still important if you want to beat Yan in the first month.

Edit: Also apparently some streamers have challenges from the developer to get free keys to hand out. One of them is not upgrading your workshop level at all which seemed a bit crazy at first, but then I remembered you can put machines on your roof too.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 3, 2023

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Khanstant posted:

If you want the full pick of commissions, you actually need to race Mi-An (you can steal jerky or ore from her house every day lol)

You can also steal from Yan's workshop (next to the tailor). Mi-An Actually gives you permission to take her jerky in one of the random chats
I don't know what happens if you get caught like with Higgins in Portia

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GotLag posted:

Okay I definitely gotta do a new game and try that. Would be so satisfying and when I started the game I figured I'd poke around and not touch it till release but ended up playing practically every patch, so I was not being efficient at first at all

Plus didn't realize I could build on roof, and I'm pretty sure these ruins vending machines are new because LMAO these pills are so much better than even the best foods I've stockpiled so far. Also a good gold sink, I rarely ever tried to make money outside of commissions but I didn't have a good way to convert gold into mass stamina easily.

My relationship hearts are all out of whack too since half the characters didn't exist for most of my playtimes. It's hard to say goodbye and idk if I'll ever be able to make my rickety illegal broken goblin tower again. If only you could compete against the ghost of your old save.

Actually a farm sim ghost self race mode would be really cool for Stardew and such too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
From my (admittedly not optimized) experience, I think the biggest piece of advice I'd give a new player would be hoard materials, spend gols, spend data discs.

Hoover up all the stuff you can find, even the stuff that doesn't have an obvious present use; most items in the game are useful at some point, except for the ruined items you sometimes get when picking up trash around town (you can sell those, so they're not a complete waste, and I still highly recommend picking up trash because it'll keep you flush in Dregs for machine fuel). I found mid and late game got a lot easier when I didn't have to go back and spend weeks gathering materials before I could use the newly-unlocked recipes because I already had oodles of the basic materials in storage.

Research everything you can ASAP. You want those new machines and upgrades - even at the most basic level, an upgraded machine can hold a bigger production queue and can even queue up more than one item at a time.

Once you've unlocked all the machine types, make sure to get the Refiner, which can be used to upgrade the quality of your machines and gear. For machines, this can result in qualities like "reduced fuel usage" or "chance to produce extras."

As for Gols... if you're even vaguely keeping up on commissions and quests, you're not gonna be short on cash. This means that you can ignore the little voice telling you "a meal at the saloon sounds nice but I'll just save my cash" or "I guess I should probably go mine some copper instead of just buying bars from the blacksmith" or whatever. You don't have to work particularly hard to amass more money than you really know what to do with, so go ahead and spend some!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khanstant posted:

I'm pretty sure these ruins vending machines are new because LMAO these pills are so much better than even the best foods I've stockpiled so far.

Yeah they were added in the Act 3 update, I think? I'm kinda torn on them because on the one hand it's really nice to be able to actually get meaningful stam refills outside of Blue Moon meals to extend digs, but on the other once you're around the mid-game levels of gold they just completely trivialize everything because you're constantly swimming in meds to the point that you can just facetank all fights while popping infinite health pills.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
So it sounds like this game is not quite as chill as say Stardew Valley? Does this game kind of force you to be as efficient as possible and doing stuff for aesthetic reasons isn't really viable?

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Books On Tape posted:

So it sounds like this game is not quite as chill as say Stardew Valley? Does this game kind of force you to be as efficient as possible and doing stuff for aesthetic reasons isn't really viable?

There's no real time limit and the game is probably best enjoyed taking it at a chiller pace. It allows for certain amounts of efficiency optimizations for those that want it but the game by no means puts any sort of rush on you. There's not really a time limit on a month/season like there is with seasonal crops in Stardew, as you can do pretty much any workshop activity any time of year.

I had basically one inconsequential side quest I timed out on in mid Act 2 in early access and it's because I forgot to follow through on some things. The game very rarely if ever puts any real pressure on the player.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Books On Tape posted:

Nah most of the people here talking about efficiency and the like are approaching it with a mentality akin to finishing the community center in year 1 in Stardew. You do not actually need to be turbo-optimized if you don't want to. Broadly speaking there's three main objectives you can take on:

1. Main story missions: these advance the actual main plot, and with a very small handful of exceptions none of them have an attached time limit. You can take these as slowly as you'd like.

2. Side missions: little side adventures you can do around town with the various townsfolk. Some of these *are* time sensitive in that if you ignore them for too long they disappear forever, and/or once picked up need you to do something within a specific time period. The quest is usually explicit about this though (ie: "Hey Player come meet me at the scrap yard TONIGHT at 23:00) and also in the quest log will specifically say how much time you have to complete the quest.

3. Commissions: Daily requests for buildings and materials put up by the townsfolk. All of these do have a time limit to finish but it's usually pretty lenient, occasionally townsfolk will put in a "rush" commission that needs to be completed much faster for a better reward, but these are clearly sign-posted and you don't have to take them if you don't want to.

As for aesthetics, there is an entire insano-mode house customization mechanic that let's you build anything from a cozy starter home to a techno wizard tower.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Absolutely not, the game is perfectly content and intended to be chill and at your own pace. Even thematically, playing like we've been discussing is probably against the spirit of telesis since these efficiency behaviours are the sorta capitalist things that caused the apocalypse in the first place.

Everything we are discussing here is for the self elected satisfaction and goal of making progress as fast and efficiently as possible. The game does not pressure you into working this fast and in some cases it almost doesn't acknowledge that you do everything ridiculously fast.

There's no real penalty to failing commissions aside from wasted opportunity cost, the few activities with a time limit give you an absurd amount of time to do a few builds.

The game also wants you to decorate and play with aesthetics and you can whittle away plenty of time on that sort of stuff.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Basically the only real time pressures are self imposed by players for various reasons (fond memories of the "take and complete every part of the fast travel system immediately so Higgins doesn't get to do any of it" challenge in Portia).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Old ways: Dethrone Yan, Mi-An, and the two fake builders to become best builder on one month.

Telesis way: Max hearts on Yan in one month.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
After you get up a basic processor and grinder you should imo go for the refiner asap. Your upgraded tools and machines help out the game progression a lot and the machines keep their upgrade level when you upgrade them to the next tier.

Also befriending Yan unironically has advantages of better payouts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao good to know. Befriending Yan and a few others I neglected the first time will be one of my new game goals. I'm especially interested in trying to romance a certain somebody who ends up a certain someway and I'm very curious to see how that's handled. The real challenge will be pretending to make nice with characters I detest.

I will also be nicer to redneck girl sooner, she turns out to be kinda badass eventually.

The game is also pretty funny at times, I did BFF quests for Burgess last night and the goofy side quest dialogue gags had my laughing, especially as we helped a lonely sociopath find out where to buy dynamite after asking him not to spill water into the desert (which he was mainly doing form the thrill of being bad and getting caught).

I also initiated romance option with Burgess as I do for anyone it lets me in such games. I don't think I've ever actually gotten married in harvest moon, Stardew, or this series, but I sure as hell lead everyone on so they send me gifts and be nice.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I will also be nicer to redneck girl sooner, she turns out to be kinda badass eventually.

Elsie or is there a redder neck out there?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Is Fang always mumbly and mute or does he open up if you romance him?

I find the Midwestern accents grating. Also I have no idea what Dan-Bi sees in her husband, that guy is the laziest carpenter ever. Does she eventually have her baby later on?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

Is Fang always mumbly and mute or does he open up if you romance him?

I find the Midwestern accents grating. Also I have no idea what Dan-Bi sees in her husband, that guy is the laziest carpenter ever. Does she eventually have her baby later on?

There's a quest to get him to open up more and being able to hand out gifts. Fang also has probably the most quests of any character in the game, so much that people are calling favoritism.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Which is funny because I almost completely ignored him in my first playthrough and saw like none of his quests. :v:

I'm hoping something's been done to vary up who actually gives out commissions later in the game, because as it was before you pretty much max out with Heidi and Qi before anybody else because they're the ones constantly dropping the top tier commissions and it just results in a snowball of relationship points building.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
The only quest I remember with him was the one where you prank him by pretending his bird got kidnapped which really felt hosed up honestly, pull that kind of trolling on Yan or Pen not some mute weirdo doctor that just does his own thing and doesn't bother anybody.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

The only quest I remember with him was the one where you prank him by pretending his bird got kidnapped which really felt hosed up honestly, pull that kind of trolling on Yan or Pen not some mute weirdo doctor that just does his own thing and doesn't bother anybody.

Afaik you can tell him about it in advance instead of playing along, but thats the quest to being able to talk to him / give gifts.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who is constantly thinking of this thanks to the character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhOMLCuCW0

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sydin posted:

2. Side missions: little side adventures you can do around town with the various townsfolk. Some of these *are* time sensitive in that if you ignore them for too long they disappear forever, and/or once picked up need you to do something within a specific time period. The quest is usually explicit about this though (ie: "Hey Player come meet me at the scrap yard TONIGHT at 23:00) and also in the quest log will specifically say how much time you have to complete the quest.

If the mission quest doesn't have a time limit, you can do it another day even if the associated dialogue says TONIGHT. The times are also windows of varying width, eg that one means "between 11 pm and midnight".
The fireside chats are scheduled to start at 18:00 but their window also lasts at least an hour, possibly even until 20:00.

One quest has you acting as an assistant to another character, with the instruction to turn up at 9:00 sharp. I arrived at 14:00 and completed the job without complaint :v:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
One protip that baffled me for a bit: some items you need to, say, upgrade your tools from Copper to Bronze you just need to buy from the vendors. Sharpening Stone for tools, Salt for... stuff, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
fyi there is a bug where you can't clear the dusty status from your machines, just pick them up and put them back down after cleaning as a workaround