Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oh wow do not sleep on geothermal power like I did, 150MW low pollution and cheap enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Half of my problem with this game is that I'm trying to do stuff the same way I did in the first, not realizing they changed poo poo to help me. It took me this long to realize I could overlay an intersection over existing roads instead of painstakingly measuring how far to go so that it would line up. A week.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
That ad is obnoxious but I’m not clear why it was deemed offensive?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

That ad is obnoxious but I’m not clear why it was deemed offensive?

I heard some ad was close-to or using the word "spaz"?

I never listened to the ads and turned off music pretty quick, so I'm not sure for sure, but that's what I read.

Apparently in the UK that word is as offensive as it comes, a variation on the r-word but seen as far more serious?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

In the UK there's a charity, called Scope now, that was called The Spastics Society, raising money to help people with cerebral palsy. After a few well-meaning incidents where people with cerebral palsy were guests on educational children's TV programmes, spastic and then spaz became schoolyard insults that were used in basically the exact same way that retard was/is used in the US. The charity changed its name because of this, and the word is, as was mentioned, considered a fairly harsh if juvenile insult.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Trash seems better now, but mail I think is still at least sort of broken. I have a post sorting facility that does absolutely nothing, still.

I got mine working by turning off my cargo train terminal. :psyduck:

I appear to have done something that completely broke immigration in my current save. Haven't had any in a year, with large swathes of zoned-but-unbuilt R, huge wealth, and every commercial/industrial building in town begging for more workers.

E: Dev mode fixed this. Not doing anything in dev mode, but quit to desktop/reload didn't and quit to desktop/reload with dev mode enabled did. :psyduck:

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 3, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Due to the one instance of it on Dexter's Lab I always thought "spastic" referred to someone with like, extreme untreated ADHD

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Digital Jedi posted:

I don't want people passing the highway to see a landfill. It's a bad look to see that firstly as you drive by
Probably happens more often than you’d think. It’s just that as the mountain grows, you seed the sides that face the main road with grasses.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im seeing significant improvements to transit use and commercial profit margins post patch.

But for some reason all my crematoriums stopped working lol.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dang, seawalls get a lot easier to build if you do:

- 2.5 or 3.75m tall elevation
- continuous curve road-building tool
- enabling developer mode and clicking "bypass road validation" or whatever under "Simulation"

Keeps a nice consistent elevation and isn't very lumpy. Almost just as good as a mod or real seawalls implemented.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Decided to try building a town that peppers in RCI gently mixed in with each other rather than having massive squares of R,C,I all separated into islands and connected by one fat road, which is something I’ve always done without thinking about it.

The results look surprisingly…organic? And pollution (both noise and air) doesn’t seem to be a problem if I’m doing some light peppering of industrial. When I have entire zip/postal code-sized industrial parks, it’s basically a toxic wasteland.

I don’t know if what I’m experiencing is a glitch or maybe just more rational city building.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Wish accidents had replays because I would have loved to see what lead to this

I had this one:

Now why did that happe... aahhh right.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
For some reason my demand for elementary, college and university education is far outstripping my high school demand.

I have like, 3000+ elementary students, 3000+ college/university students, and... about 500 high schoolers?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just a note, I've seen some people complaining that High Density Residential demand appears several levels before you unlock High Density Residential zoning, and while that's true, I guess the game never tells you that Low Rent Housing is high density, not medium. Anyway just thought I'd let folks know because I realized I'd never had to wait to address that demand.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

death cob for cutie posted:

For some reason my demand for elementary, college and university education is far outstripping my high school demand.

I have like, 3000+ elementary students, 3000+ college/university students, and... about 500 high schoolers?

It makes sense from a game-rules/player-agency perspective. Elementary is the only job for all 0-12s, high school is an encouraged but not required one for all 13-19s, college/uni is an allowed one for 20-death who completed high school/college, so it's a demand trough--especially if immigration is biased toward singles, who will immediately consume college or uni themselves if they consume any education at all but produce 0s that have to work their way up before they hit HS.

The game could try to make continuing education more realistically difficult, in terms of cost or labor capacity before sims just want to go home and lie in bed, but I don't think the devs or the average player are ideologically prepared to admit that comfortably going back for a degree is the domain of people who strictly speaking gain less than average by going back for a degree. And it would mean that the player wouldn't fully see the effect of building up higher education on the workforce until 40 sim years had passed, which, I get that they age n years in a game year but a game year's still a long-rear end time.

Of course, the counterpoint to all of this is that there doesn't appear to be anything you can do for uneducated or poorly-educated immigrants or dropouts other than wait until they die off or tax them into exile. I'd like to see a GED cram school addon to the welfare center or something.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

it has also occured to me that a good chunk of my university/college students may be coming from outside the city - that happens now. right?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Just a note, I've seen some people complaining that High Density Residential demand appears several levels before you unlock High Density Residential zoning, and while that's true, I guess the game never tells you that Low Rent Housing is high density, not medium. Anyway just thought I'd let folks know because I realized I'd never had to wait to address that demand.
Can you really fulfill that demand? Or will they just build one tower and then all the people who move in there will complain about how small their housing is instantly (no matter how cheap their rent) and they'll move out and the tower will be abandoned and collapse into a pile of ruble within a month?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

buglord posted:

Decided to try building a town that peppers in RCI gently mixed in with each other rather than having massive squares of R,C,I all separated into islands and connected by one fat road, which is something I’ve always done without thinking about it.

The results look surprisingly…organic? And pollution (both noise and air) doesn’t seem to be a problem if I’m doing some light peppering of industrial. When I have entire zip/postal code-sized industrial parks, it’s basically a toxic wasteland.

I don’t know if what I’m experiencing is a glitch or maybe just more rational city building.

Welcome to Europe. https://earth.google.com/web/@52.34211143,9.6592648,65.78881019a,1713.88445795d,31.56718121y,2.06167953h,12.83150884t,-0r

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Eiba posted:

Can you really fulfill that demand? Or will they just build one tower and then all the people who move in there will complain about how small their housing is instantly (no matter how cheap their rent) and they'll move out and the tower will be abandoned and collapse into a pile of ruble within a month?

I've had very little problems with them being unpopulated, and the couple of times it has happened were after I had true high density, and I think people who could afford it jumped ship en masse when new apartments went up.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Skyl3lazer posted:

How can I stop my idiots from doing blatantly illegal traffic maneuvers? They do this during rush hour and stop all traffic in both directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_rlTIcOa-Q

Find out where they live. Bulldoze their house.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Early on, high density buildings are definitely best zoned for a single building at a time. Zone one 2x2, 2x3 or 3x3, let a building grow and see how it fills, then see if there is still demand left. This also makes it easier to control the visual expression of the city, and not get an island of multiple giant towers in the middle of low-rise sprawl.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

nielsm posted:

Early on, high density buildings are definitely best zoned for a single building at a time. Zone one 2x2, 2x3 or 3x3, let a building grow and see how it fills, then see if there is still demand left. This also makes it easier to control the visual expression of the city, and not get an island of multiple giant towers in the middle of low-rise sprawl.

Oh yeah I meant to say that that's typically how I have been zoning them, so they're mostly mid-rise deals with space for maybe a dozen households max.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Eiba posted:

You can, but you do have to put some amenities in around it as well as some parks.

I also found in my last city that wider roads in front of buildings tend to create more satisfaction because it is treated as if citizens have more access to amenities further away, even if there is zero traffic on the street 99% of the time. When I was doing blocks with narrow roads and broad edges I had high density failing constantly, when I did wide roads all over they sustained themselves very easily.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_CN_5m7xqo

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Code decompile guy is back at it again.

The two I've already posted:

Code Deep Dive: Residential Rents

Code Deep Dive (Pt. 2) : Industrial Rents

Two new ones:

Code Deep Dive (Pt. 3) : Struggling Businesses That Never Seem to Go Bankrupt

Code Deep Dive (Pt. 4) : The Education System

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Stores that are always going bankrupt but are always having stock clearance sales sounds realistic to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With this simulation stuff it really feels like the game would be better if you were manually plopping everything rather than having growables tbh.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

OwlFancier posted:

With this simulation stuff it really feels like the game would be better if you were manually plopping everything rather than having growables tbh.

God, no, that's just an immediate turn-off for city builders for me. I don't want to play factorio, I want to see a city grow.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The game is already mind-numbingly shallow without upping the busy work by a factor of 100

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The option to just paint should be there for those who want it but no, count me in as needing the simulation

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mfcrocker posted:

The option to just paint should be there for those who want it but no, count me in as needing the simulation

Yeah if I wanted an art tool then I would just pick up a pencil. Without the dynamics of the simulation there isn't a lot to the game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Found this little nugget by the community manager:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/city-with-0-population-still-has-workers-wrong-information-given-in-ui.1606488/post-29235254 posted:

Hi everyone.

I've updated the status of this to "In Review" as we are currently investigating the reports we have been receiving. The game has some failsafe options built-in to ensure a city doesn't collapse entirely if your city faces a lot of traffic congestion, which likely explains some of what's happening when you disconnect the city from the outside. We'll have a look to ensure everything is indeed working as designed and consider any improvements that may be possible. This will likely take some time, so we may not have an update for you for a while.

Please also note that the simulation in Cities: Skylines II has a lot more moving parts than its predecessor, which means the experiments that worked well in Cities: Skylines to determine issues likely won't give as reliable results. The game tries to adjust and keep the city functional, which is intended. The deeper economic simulation has always been intended to be flexible so you aren't forced to dive deep into it if that's not the kind of gameplay you enjoy.

So they do have a fallback option when there's not enough traffic capacity, or if you have no connections to the outside. Which I expected, and does explain people's experiments where they disconnected the city and saw things still working.

Now, some people on the paradox plaza forums are taking this as confirmation that ":kingsley: the simulation is a deception it's all fake it's a big lie", but that's what I get for reading the paradox plaza forums so much in the last 2 weeks.

Would be nice to have a tuneable parameter for that, so we could set the fallback amount lower to make it more realistic. I'm sure some mod will step in to do that eventually.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That sort of response is inevitable when the simulation works differently to how it was described in dev diaries (unless I missed the one about making it impossible for a city to fail), does a piss-poor job of communicating anything to players and is also riddled with bugs to the point where it's hard to tell what's intended and what isn't

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

wait can you demolish outside connections? there's a highway on my current map that I'd really like to just destroy, and turn the remaining connections into extra-wide highways

e: also is there any benefit to setting up inter-city cargo trains? will plopping a cargo terminal closer to my commercial center reduce truck traffic streaming in from the industrial park outside the main city?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

death cob for cutie posted:

e: also is there any benefit to setting up inter-city cargo trains? will plopping a cargo terminal closer to my commercial center reduce truck traffic streaming in from the industrial park outside the main city?

I think in theory, yes.

In practice, god only knows.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

piratepilates posted:

Found this little nugget by the community manager:

So they do have a fallback option when there's not enough traffic capacity, or if you have no connections to the outside. Which I expected, and does explain people's experiments where they disconnected the city and saw things still working.

Now, some people on the paradox plaza forums are taking this as confirmation that ":kingsley: the simulation is a deception it's all fake it's a big lie", but that's what I get for reading the paradox plaza forums so much in the last 2 weeks.

Would be nice to have a tuneable parameter for that, so we could set the fallback amount lower to make it more realistic. I'm sure some mod will step in to do that eventually.

That sounds like a great opportunity for a difficulty option. Hard mode = No fallback, gently caress up your city and it'll die for good.

Tarnop posted:

That sort of response is inevitable when the simulation works differently to how it was described in dev diaries (unless I missed the one about making it impossible for a city to fail), does a piss-poor job of communicating anything to players and is also riddled with bugs to the point where it's hard to tell what's intended and what isn't
But as far as actual analysis has said, it does work as described. It starts fudging when you push things into the corner cases. This is a chill city builder, not Dark Souls. Most people aren't assuming there's a real chance their city will actually die if they gently caress up their traffic management.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 3, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think in theory, yes.

In practice, god only knows.

You could encourage it along by banning heavy goods traffic on some of the connecting roads

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kyte posted:

That sounds like a great opportunity for a difficulty option. Hard mode = No fallback, gently caress up your city and it'll die for good.

But as far as actual analysis has said, it does work as described. It starts fudging when you push things into the corner cases. This is a chill city builder, not Dark Souls. Most people aren't assuming there's a real chance their city will actually die if they gently caress up their traffic management.

Where’s my Dark Souls of city builders. I want to build Pittsburg from zero to hero.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I actually want the Dark Souls of city builders. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tarnop posted:

they talked about the game not letting you fail in the dev diary about resources iirc