Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I finally gave up and googled NAFO and it’s so much lamer than I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Chinatown posted:

The US had 20+ years refining every possible logistic and tactical/logistic network for two wars that were on the other side of the globe. Along with an unparalleled military-industrial complex and spending.

gently caress teh DOD but they have the experience and money to actually know how to do combined arms operations, AND supply their forces on the other side of the world.

Russia just invaded Ukraine with basically a mob that they called an army and they forgot food, and fuel, and morale, and basically everything else other than flesh to get shredded.

The war they're about to win in the next 6 months', where they used a 10-1 artillery. 5-1 manpower advantage and their enemies lust for any soil, to negatte 10's of billions in modern muntion's. Did they not step in poo and spend 6 trillion over 20 years to leave empty handed?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chinatown posted:

The US had 20+ years refining every possible logistic and tactical/logistic network for two wars that were on the other side of the globe. Along with an unparalleled military-industrial complex and spending.

gently caress teh DOD but they have the experience and money to actually know how to do combined arms operations, AND supply their forces on the other side of the world.

Russia just invaded Ukraine with basically a mob that they called an army and they forgot food, and fuel, and morale, and basically everything else other than flesh to get shredded.

[Guys falling off the last jet leaving Afghanistan dot MP4]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
*getting my rear end kicked by vietnamese rice farmers with bamboo sticks and desert goat herders with AKs*

we have the experience and money to actually know how to do combined arms operations, AND supply our forces on the other side of the world

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

yeah but chinatown's type also did fundraisers for azov

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

oh my god you can click play and have them chant (sing?) it, that is beautiful

Are the tones, the notes, defined by the language itself? By musical notation? Something else?
It's called a recitation. The tones are not defined by the language, and it is not permissible to 'sing' it or use the maqams (aka modes) of musical expression, but it is encouraged to recite in a melodious manner. There are many rules for pronunciation, including the relative length of the vowels.

Here's one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsQrKHOjTgk

Incidentally, probably the best English translation of the Quran is by a Jew who converted to Islam, Muhammad Asad, and he was around at the time of the Balfour declaration.

An excerpt from his autobiography, Road to Mecca:

quote:

I often sat on the stone balustrade below the Jaffa Gate and watched the throng of people going into or coming out of the Old City. Here they rubbed against each other, jostled one another, Arab and Jew, all possible variations of both. There were he strong boned fetlahin with their white or brown head cloths or orange coloured turbans. There were Beduins with sharp, clear-cut and, almost without exception, lean faces, wearing heir cloaks in a strangely self confident manner, frequently with lands on hips and elbows wide apart, as if they took it for granted that everyone would make way for them. There were peasant women in black or blue calico dresses embroidered in white cross the bosom, often carrying baskets on their heads and moving with a supple, easy grace. Seen from behind, many a woman of sixty could be taken for a young girl. Their eyes also seemed to remain clear and untouched by age unless they happened to be affected by trachoma, that evil ‘Egyptian’ eye disease which is the curse of all countries east of the Mediterranean.

And there were the Jews: indigenous Jews, wearing a tarbush and a wide, voluminous cloak, in their facial type strongly resembling the Arabs; Jews from Poland and Russia, who seemed to carry with them so much of the smallness and narrowness of their past lives in Europe that it was surprising to think they claimed to be of the same stock as the proud Jew from Morocco or Tunisia in his white burnus. But although the European Jews were so obviously out of all harmony with the picture that surrounded them, it was they who set the tone of Jewish life and politics and thus seemed to be responsible for the almost visible friction between Jews and Arabs.

What did the average European know of the Arabs in those days? Practically nothing. When he came to the Near East he brought with him some romantic and erroneous notions; and if he was well intentioned and intellectually honest, he had to admit that he had no idea at all about the Arabs. I, too, before I came to Palestine, had never thought of it as an Arab land. I had, of course, vaguely known that ‘some’ Arabs lived there, but I imagined them to be only nomads in desert tents and idyllic oasis dwellers. Because most of what I had read about Palestine in earlier days had been written by Zionists who naturally had only their own problems in view I had not realized that the towns also were full of Arabs that, in fact, in 1922 there lived in Palestine nearly five Arabs to every Jew, and that, therefore, it was an Arab country to a far higher degree than a country of Jews.

When I remarked on this to Mr. Ussyshkin, chairman of the Zionist Committee of Action, whom I met during that time, I had the impression that the Zionists were not inclined to give much consideration to the fact of Arab majority; nor did they seem to attribute any real importance to the Arabs’ opposition to Zionism. Mr. Ussyshkin’s response showed nothing but contempt (for the Arabs).

‘There is no real Arab movement here against us; that is, no movement with roots in the people. All that you regard as opposition is in reality nothing but the shouting of a few disgruntled agitators. It will collapse of itself within a few months or at most a few years.’

This argument was far from satisfactory to me. From the very beginning I had a feeling that the whole idea of Jewish settlement in Palestine was artificial, and, what was worse, that it threatened to transfer all the complications and insoluble problems of European life into a country which might have remained happier without them. The Jews were not really coming to it as one returns to one’s homeland; they were rather bent on making it into a homeland conceived on European patterns and with European aims. In short, they were strangers within the gates. And so I did not find anything wrong in the Arabs’ determined resistance to the idea of a Jewish homeland in their midst; on the contrary, I immediately realized that it was the Arabs who were being imposed upon and were rightly defending themselves against such an imposition.

In the Balfour Declaration of 1917, which promised the Jews a ‘national home’ in Palestine, I saw a cruel political maneuver designed to foster the old principle, common to all colonial powers, of ‘divide and rule’. In the case of Palestine, this principle was the more flagrant as in 1916 the British had promised the then ruler of Mecca, Sharif Husayn, as a price for his help against the Turks, an independent Arab state which was to comprise all countries between the Mediterranean Sea and the Persian Gulf. They not only broke their promise a year later by concluding with France the secret Sykes Picot Agreement (which established French Dominion over Syria and the Lebanon), but also, by implication, excluded Palestine from the obligations they had assumed with regard to the Arabs.

Although of Jewish origin myself, I conceived from the outset a strong objection to Zionism. Apart from my personal sympathy for the Arabs, I considered it immoral that immigrants, assisted by a foreign Great Power, should come from abroad with the avowed intention of attaining to majority in the country and thus to dispossess the people whose country it had been since time immemorial. Consequently, I was inclined to take the side of the Arabs whenever the Jewish Arab question was brought up which, of course, happened very often. This attitude of mine was beyond the comprehension of practically all the Jews with whom I came in contact during those months. They could not understand what I saw in the Arabs who, according to them, were no more than a mass of backward people whom they looked upon with a feeling not much different from that of the European settlers in Central Africa. They were not in the least interested in what the Arabs thought; almost none of them took pains to learn Arabic; and everyone accepted without question the dictum that Palestine was the rightful heritage of the Jews.

I still remember a brief discussion I had on this score with Dr. Chaim Weizmann, the undisputed leader of the Zionist movement. He had come on one of his periodic visits to Palestine (his permanent residence was, I believe, in London), and I met him in the house of a Jewish friend. One could not but be impressed by the boundless energy of this man an energy that manifested itself even in his bodily movements, in the long, springy stride with which he paced up and down the room and by the power of intellect revealed in the broad forehead and the penetrating glance of his eyes.

He was talking of the financial difficulties which were be setting the dream of a Jewish National Home, and the insufficient response to this dream among people abroad; and I had the disturbing impression that even he, like most of the other Zionists, was inclined to transfer the moral responsibility for all that was happening in Palestine to the ‘outside world’. This impelled me to break through the deferential hush with which all the other people present were listening to him, and to ask:

‘And what about the Arabs?’

I must have committed a faux pas by thus bringing a jarring note into the conversation, for Dr. Weizmann turned his face slowly toward me, put down the cup he had been holding in his hand, and repeated my question:

‘What about the Arabs ....?’

‘Well how can you ever hope to make Palestine your home land in the face of the vehement opposition of the Arabs who, after all, are in the majority in this country?’

The Zionist leader shrugged his shoulders and answered drily: ‘We expect they won’t be in a majority after a few years.’ ‘Perhaps so. You have been dealing with this problem for years and must know the situation better than I do. But quite apart from the political difficulties which Arab opposition may or may not put in your way does dot the moral aspect of the question ever bother you? Don’t you think that it is wrong on your part to displace the people who have always lived in this country?’

‘But it is our country,’ replied Dr. Weizmann, raising his eye brows. ‘We are doing no more than taking back what we have been wrongly deprived of.’

‘But you have been away from Palestine for nearly two thousand years! Before that you had ruled this country, and hardly ever the whole of it, for less than five hundred years. Don’t you think that the Arabs could, with equal justification, demand Spain for themselves for, after all, they held sway in Spain for nearly seven hundred years and lost it entirely only five hundred years ago?’

Dr. Weizmann had become visibly impatient: ‘Nonsense. The Arabs had only conquered Spain; it had never been their original homeland, and so it was only right that in the end they were driven out by the Spaniards.’

‘Forgive me,’ I retorted, ‘but it seems to me that there is some historical oversight here. After all, the Hebrews also came as conquerors to Palestine. Long before them were many other Semitic and non Semitic tribes settled here the Amorites, the Edomites, the Philistines, the Moabites, the Hittites. Those tribes continued living here even hi the days of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah. They continued living here after the Romans drove our ancestors away. They are living here today. The Arabs who settled in Syria and Palestine after their conquest in the seven the century were always only a small minority of the population; the rest of what we describe today as Palestinian or Syrian “Arabs” are in reality only the Arabianized, original inhabitants of the country. Some of them became Muslims in the course of centuries, others remained Christians; the Muslims naturally intermarried with their coreligionists from Arabia. But can you deny that the bulk of those people in Palestine, who speak Arabic, whether Muslims or Christians, are direct line descendants of the original inhabitants: original in the sense of having lived in this country centuries before the Hebrews came to it?’

Dr. Weizmann smiled politely at my outburst and turned the conversation to other topics.

I did not feel happy about the outcome of my intervention. I had of course not expected any of those present least of all Dr. Weizmann himself to subscribe to my conviction that the Zionist idea was highly vulnerable on the moral plane; but I had hoped that my defence of the Arab cause would at least give rise to some sort of uneasiness on the part of the Zionist leadership an uneasiness which might bring about more introspection and thus, perhaps, a greater readiness to admit the existence of a possible moral right in the opposition of the Arabs... None of this had come about. Instead, I found myself facing a blank wall of staring eyes; a censorious disapproval of my temerity, which dared question the unquestionable right of the Jews to the land of their forefathers.

How was it possible, I wondered, for people endowed with so much creative intelligence as; he Jews to think of the Zionist Arab conflict in Jewish terms alone? Did they not realize that the problem of the Jews in Palestine could, in the long run, be solved only through friendly cooperation with the Arabs? Were they so hopelessly blind to the painful future which their policy must bring? to the struggles, the bitterness and the hatred to which the Jewish island, even if temporarily successful, would forever remain exposed in the midst of a hostile Arab sea?

And how strange, I thought, that a nation which had suffered so many wrongs in the course of its long and sorrowful Diaspora was now, in single minded pursuit of its own goal, ready to inflict a grievous wrong on mother nation and a nation too, that was innocent of all that past Jewish suffering. Such a phenomenon, I knew, was not unknown to history; but it made me, none the less, very sad to see it enacted before my eyes.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Bastard Tetris posted:

white supremacists ftw

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

At 2 hours Norm asks the question which makes the Nazis squirm - if Hamas must be dismantled due to Oct 7, then Israel must also be dismantled due to Operation Cast Lead.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

smarxist posted:

[hollers into your big clown mouth] can i get uhhhhhhh double burger

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Chinatown posted:

*Crashes another helicopter*

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

dreaming about tunnels

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Chinatown posted:

lol this is some heavy cope here. I know we don't have healthcare, infrastructure, education, social safety nets, or even a functional political system but we do have a big advanced military right guys? You wouldn't pretend to spend a trillion dollars a year on the military right?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mean Baby posted:

At 2 hours Norm asks the question which makes the Nazis squirm - if Hamas must be dismantled due to Oct 7, then Israel must also be dismantled due to Operation Cast Lead.

norm owns.

with pretty much everything zionists say, you can flip the script and watch them squirm and handwring. like would hamas be justified in carpet bombing israeli civilian areas because IDF soldiers are presumed to be among them? or you can just start every conversation by repeatedly shouting DO YOU CONDEMN THE IDF

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
im fine with saying the US military is less stupid than other militaries but you can’t be talking it up like they’re not also dumb as gently caress and can’t do poo poo right. thats crazy talk. even moreso for because of pricetag, terrible ROI

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

im fine with saying the US military is less stupid than other militaries but you can’t be talking it up like they’re not also dumb as gently caress and can’t do poo poo right. thats crazy talk. even moreso for because of pricetag, terrible ROI

Oh lol no it isn’t

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
f35 says hello

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We built this big machine that's the best in the world at devouring all the money, and presumably it'll produce a military out the other end sometime

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

lol this is some heavy cope here. I know we don't have healthcare, infrastructure, education, social safety nets, or even a functional political system but we do have a big advanced military right guys? You wouldn't pretend to spend a trillion dollars a year on the military right?

the problem with my post was that i forgot to mention the whole thing ended with a bunch of 20 year olds getting vaporized because despite all the fancy poo poo they learned, they still got teh poo poo kicked outta them until the very last day. mb.

Popy posted:

*Crashes another helicopter*

theyre called VT&L or some dumb poo poo now.

it cant do that

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lpzie posted:

dreaming about tunnels

as a wise man once said, "tunnels ftw"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Chinatown posted:

theyre called VT&L or some dumb poo poo now.

virtual transform and lighting? not in any game made after 1999 that's for sure

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
My state keeps a public list of cool companies. Pritzker ftw

https://iipb.illinois.gov/prohibited-investment-list.html

Companies that Boycott Israel
ADIDAS AG
AIR CANADA*
ALSTOM SA
ASN Bank NV
Betsah Invest SA
BOMBARDIER INC.
Brimstone Investment Corporation Limited
Cactus SA
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
CO-OPERATIVE GROUP LIMITED
Danske Bank
de Volksbank N.V.
DEXIA S.A.
DNB ASA
Dutch Lion B.V.
Dutch Lion Cooperatief U.A.
Guloguz Dis Deposu Ticaret Ve Pazarlama Ltd
HEMA BV
Karsten Farms
KLP Kapitalforvaltning AS
Kommunal Landspensjonskasse
KOMMUNAL LANDSPENSJONSKASSE GJENSIDIG FORSIKRINGSSELSKAP
KOREA SHIPBUILDING & OFFSHORE ENGINEERING CO.,LTD.
Nordea Bank Abp
Pensionskassernes Administration A/S
PFA Pension Forsikrings AS and Storebrand
Sampension Kp Livsforsikring A/S
SNS Bank NV
Stichting Administratiekantoor Beheer Financiele Instellingen
Storebrand ASA
The Co-operative Group Limited
Unilever PLC
VEOLIA ENVIRONNEMENT SA

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol at all of Unilever being on the list due to Ben and Jerry's

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Fansy posted:

Companies that Boycott Israel

KOMMUNAL LANDSPENSJONSKASSE GJENSIDIG FORSIKRINGSSELSKAP

New Username

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

New Username

this is just norwegian for "good morning"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

*getting my rear end kicked by vietnamese rice farmers with bamboo sticks and desert goat herders with AKs*

we have the experience and money to actually know how to do combined arms operations, AND supply our forces on the other side of the world

We have Microsoft PowerPoint slides and HP laptops how can we not win?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Since Vietnam the USA has proven they are really good at fighting the first 1/3 of a war. No wonder they decided on genocide by proxy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
not much, what's KOMMUNAL LANDSPENSJONSKASSE GJENSIDIG FORSIKRINGSSELSKAP with you?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Bastard Tetris posted:

jesus christ

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It’s a subsidiary of Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1720207399254995317?t=r0J9D3VChegwDQQyeA16xA&s=19

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Grem posted:

Since Vietnam the USA has proven they are really good at fighting the first 1/3 of a war. No wonder they decided on genocide by proxy

They really are the Nazis.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Chinatown posted:

The US had 20+ years refining every possible logistic and tactical/logistic network for two wars that were on the other side of the globe. Along with an unparalleled military-industrial complex and spending

ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaha

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grem posted:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

America directly intervenes in the war against Gaza

Reuters, according to American officials: American reconnaissance drones flying over #غزة searching for hostages held by Hamas.

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1720327080452243481?s=20

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This is like the time they said the Afghan built units would be ready to defend the country and they immediately put down their weapons and ran as soon as they were faced with a mere patrol.

Also from a tweet earlier in the thread:

"In the 1st episode, we hear from a reserve officer who battled terrorists on October 7, and an IAF navigator explains how the IDF uses precise intelligence when striking targets. "
Obtained Navigational Equipment:

It's been developed for this generation, all they have to do is swipe to murder innocent families.

Diet Crack has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Nov 3, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The lich kings tongue arrives

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1720332461711004138?s=20

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
ln that video where they take out the tank, what does the resistance fighter put on the tank first before he goes back and hits it with the RPG?

I’m not up on my ordinance.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

apparently it also doesn't work at close ranges either which is the whole loving point of infantry in the first place

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Google Butt posted:

as a wise man once said, "tunnels ftw"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVz_eDUTjAI&t=51s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

lmao if its actually that easy to defeat Trophy