Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Alternative post:

OIL PANIC posted:

A piki stone, which is a “slab of granite stone two to three inches thick and about eighteen by twenty-four inches. ... smooth[ed] and polish[ed].” You use it like a cast-iron grill. “When the stone becomes red hot, watermelon or muskmelon seeds which have been roasted until the hull becomes soft, and then ground fine, are sprinkled thickly over the stone. As the ground seed burns, it turns black and is rubbed over the surface with a thick folded rag. The oil from the seed oozes out and penetrates and saturates the stone, and it turns black and shiny.”
From “Me and Mine”, the life of Helen Sekaquaptewa, pages 112-113

more like OIL REASSURANCE amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Microplastics posted:

"thousands" of fish? :pathetic:

people are so bad at estimating large numbers

there are 1000s of fish in like a 1m radius around where that video was taken.

total would have to be at least 10s of millions on that beach

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Put them in a can and ship them to market what's the problem

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

good

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Looks an awful lot like a school of pilchards/greenbacks. They form giant schools and the ones that don't get eaten by every aquatic creature and bird in the area breed and die. They die off like this regularly and it's a known part of the season for fishermen and scavenging animals.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
asking here

anyone remember the area of the us, I want to say on the Colorado river, where we pumped water into the ground to pull out nitrogen or ammonia? Trying to find pictures of it again and google is not helping me.

EDIT: Found it

Moab pools in utah to create potash

Third World Reagan has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Nov 2, 2023

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

frozenphil posted:

Looks an awful lot like a school of pilchards/greenbacks. They form giant schools and the ones that don't get eaten by every aquatic creature and bird in the area breed and die. They die off like this regularly and it's a known part of the season for fishermen and scavenging animals.

whew, thank goodness this is just natural. I was getting worried there for a second!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

frozenphil posted:

Lackmaster posted:

whew, thank goodness this is just natural. I was getting worried there for a second!

They're fish, they're supposed to have mass die-offs!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

frozenphil posted:

Ah, so it's not that bad yet

kater
Nov 16, 2010

also I think it’s from July. those fish have been dead for months!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

frozenphil posted:

ultimately fine basically

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/SatelliteSci/status/1720253056762482706

I really hope those extremely rare Wollemi pines and the animals are going to be ok.

I was reading how wild Koalas are now harder to find due to all these fires happening in Australia.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nice to see the fires blooming early this year

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Unfathomable fires burning

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Jizzny Princess posted:

I really hope those extremely rare Wollemi pines and the animals are going to be ok.

I was reading how wild Koalas are now harder to find due to all these fires happening in Australia.

How are we supposed to take the apocalypse seriously when it looks like an extremely OP Scorched Earth weapon.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Once it all burns it can't burn anymore *taps forehead*

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Hit Man posted:

ultimately fine basically

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kicked Throat posted:

Unfathomable fires burning

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jizzny Princess posted:

There’s still something left to burn in Australia? I thought they logged all the forests ages ago.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

maxwellhill posted:

what's the best thing to eat and cook with once all the commercial oils go rancid after a year or two

Coconut oil basically doesn't expire, I have some from a decade ago that's still fine albeit stale

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Ihmemies posted:

There’s still something left to burn in Australia? I thought they logged all the forests ages ago.

Australian trees are fire, so ufb

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

el nino has only just started lmao :laugh:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Awwww..... so cute! Australia is pretending to be Canada!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChinaScience/status/1720365207447294359

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jizzny Princess posted:

Reboot looking good. Should have kept the tune though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQjb_QiFbJE

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope the drop bears are gonna be okay

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fall back, spring fireward

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

In the hours after Ian hit, only rescue workers were allowed onto Estero Island. Greg Dosmann, a 60-year-old retired investment adviser from St. Louis who built a 5,200-square foot house there in 2018, wasn’t willing to wait. He chartered a boat with his builder, Tom Potter, to survey the damage.

The house was built with windows, doors and reinforced concrete walls designed to resist winds of at least 170 miles per hour. Dozens of concrete pylons were driven 20 feet into the sand to keep the house from being knocked off its foundation. It had a sacrificial ground floor with breakaway walls designed to give way to floodwaters. With an elevated pool, 12-foot ceilings, elevator and high-end finishes, the house cost roughly $3 million to build, on top of the $1.8 million Dosmann paid for the lot.

Dosmann and Potter anchored close and waded ashore, catching sight of the mansion still standing amid the wreckage of dozens of older houses.

“It performed like it was supposed to,” Dosmann said.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

sadly, the house remained in Florida

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i find it interesting that chinese state media always uses kilowatts instead of megawatts or gigawatts. not sure if it is a translation thing or a more intentional choice

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

i find it interesting that chinese state media always uses kilowatts instead of megawatts or gigawatts. not sure if it is a translation thing or a more intentional choice

they're also measuring kWh per year which may just be an accounting thing to adjust for variable load or marketing to make big number. Chinese also denominates large numbers by 10,000 (and 100,000,000).

1e9 kWh per year is roughly 115MW, which isn't actually that big for a nuclear reactor. 3 of 5 of the Fukushima reactors had 760 MW operating capacity

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Nov 3, 2023

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

corona familiar posted:

they're also measuring kWh per year which may just be an accounting thing to adjust for variable load or marketing to make big number. Chinese also denominates large numbers by 10,000 (and 100,000,000).

1e9 kWh per year is roughly 115MW, which isn't actually that big for a nuclear reactor. 3 of 5 of the Fukushima reactors had 760 MW operating capacity

yeah the ACP100 (Linglong One) design is rated for 125 MWe, so certainly qualifying for the S in SMR. we'll have to see if it is modular enough to really drive down costs or not. especially compared to Hualong One which has seen a good learning rate over the reactors they've built.

China is also building 21 full size nuclear reactors currently and has plans to build 150 in the next 15 years.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah the ACP100 (Linglong One) design is rated for 125 MWe, so certainly qualifying for the S in SMR. we'll have to see if it is modular enough to really drive down costs or not. especially compared to Hualong One which has seen a good learning rate over the reactors they've built.

China is also building 21 full size nuclear reactors currently and has plans to build 150 in the next 15 years.

Meanwhile the 4 reactor nuke plant near my hometown has been in progress for 40+ years and hasn't been completed yet. In fact they sold it to a private company a few years ago for $100k, after spending over 6 billion us dollars developing it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Meanwhile the 4 reactor nuke plant near my hometown has been in progress for 40+ years and hasn't been completed yet. In fact they sold it to a private company a few years ago for $100k, after spending over 6 billion us dollars developing it.

I paid for ours for over a decade with higher rates then they shut the whole thing down and slapped the c-suite with fines and short sentences for fraud. construction liquidated in bankruptcy.

the rates? nah they never lowered those. we’ve been habituated.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I paid for ours for over a decade with higher rates then they shut the whole thing down and slapped the c-suite with fines and short sentences for fraud. construction liquidated in bankruptcy.

the rates? nah they never lowered those. we’ve been habituated.

Oh yeah the rates were raised here multiple times to pay for the plant.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

Cane toads are flammable

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

trucutru posted:

Cane toads are flammable

Unexpected frog bomb

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

toggle posted:

el nino has only just started lmao :laugh:
The dire thing is the likelihood that this El Nino is basically weak as gently caress and everything is actually just bonafide climate death

e: from a few weeks ago:

quote:

James Hensen has a short paper out arguing that this El Nino is actually fizzling and weaker than previous ones. Much of the insane warming we're seeing is not just a "Super El Nino" but just bonafide climate change

quote:

Abstract. September 2023 smashed the prior global temperature record. Hand-wringing about the magnitude of the temperature jump in September is not inappropriate, but it is more important to investigate the role of aerosol climate forcing – which we chose to leave unmeasured – in global climate change. Global temperature during the current El Nino provides a potential indirect assessment of change of the aerosol forcing. Global temperature in the current El Nino, to date, implies a strong acceleration of global warming for which the most likely explanation is a decrease of human-made aerosols as a result of reductions in China and from ship emissions. The current El Nino will probably be weaker than the 1997-98 and 2015-16 El Ninos, making current warming even more significant. The current near-maximum solar irradiance adds a small amount to the major “forcing” mechanisms (GHGs, aerosols, and El Nino), but with no long-term effect. More important, the long dormant Southern Hemisphere polar amplification is probably coming into play

If this relative anomaly is maintained through this El Nino (through Northern Hemisphere 2024 spring) the peak 12-month mean global warming will reach +1.6-1.7°C relative to 1880-1920. Decline of global temperature following an El Nino peak is 0.2- 0.3°C. Thus, if this El Nino peak is as high as we project it will be, global temperature will oscillate about the yellow region in Fig. 2. The 1.5°C global warming level will have been reached, for all practical purposes. There will be no need to ruminate for 20 years about whether the 1.5°C level has been reached, as IPCC proposes. On the contrary, Earth’s enormous energy imbalance (references 8, 13, 14 below) assures that global temperature will be rising still higher for the foreseeable future.

These high temperatures are occurring despite the fact that the current El Nino may not even qualify as a “super” El Nino, comparable to those of 1997-98 and 2015-16. The Nino3.4 index (Fig. 3) at face value (upper Fig. 3) is now about +1.5°C, but in assessing El Nino strength we should account for the warming trend due to the net human-made climate forcing.

https://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2023/ElNinoFizzles.13October2023.pdf

Bonus + related. if you combine the fact that maybe the big "temperature anomaly" (lol) is not really El Nino but... well.......

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

please save us chairman Xi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stereotype posted:

please save us chairman Xi

one billion kWh is a very respectable number

and it's not even close