Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two of the back buttons are always R3 and L3 because gently caress clicking sticks for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Played a few hours of the Talos Principle 2 and it’s really great so far. Expands on the first game and I’m really liking the story framework and characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Steam when updating a game you haven't played in 6 months and won't play for another 6: "WE'VE GOT 30 GIGS OF PATCHES AND I'M GONNA TRY TO CHUG THE WHOLE THING AT ONCE! HOW BIG'S YOUR PIPE? IT'S MY PIPE NOW!"
Steam when a game you've been anticipating comes out: "60 megs a second? Nah, I'm feeling more like 60k. See you in a week."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Steam when updating a game you haven't played in 6 months and won't play for another 6: "WE'VE GOT 30 GIGS OF PATCHES AND I'M GONNA TRY TO CHUG THE WHOLE THING AT ONCE! HOW BIG'S YOUR PIPE? IT'S MY PIPE NOW!"
Steam when a game you've been anticipating comes out: "60 megs a second? Nah, I'm feeling more like 60k. See you in a week."
at least with the steam deck you can set a max download speed, which I had to do earlier this week while visiting my folks, because it was killing the YoutubeTV app while they were trying to watch the world series

but i assume you can do that in desktop mode too, i'd be surprised if you couldn't

also if it's a super highly anticipated game in general, naturally their servers will be slammed. anyone who's participated in a steam sale knows this

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Bruceski posted:

And ELOHIM said, “The robot has now become like one of us, knowing how to solve puzzles. It must not be allowed to reach out its hand and take also from the wifi router, and download, and play forever.” So ELOHIM banished it from the Garden to work the Steam download pipe from whence its software had come.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

The 7th Guest posted:

at least with the steam deck you can set a max download speed, which I had to do earlier this week while visiting my folks, because it was killing the YoutubeTV app while they were trying to watch the world series

but i assume you can do that in desktop mode too, i'd be surprised if you couldn't
Yeah, you can. It's under the same settings header on both deck and PC ("Downloads"). I'm in a similar spot where I cannot have it got full throttle download and have my GF stream something on another computer, and so have it permanently set more or less, which means if I want to play a game, have to expect to play it the next day.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mr E posted:

Played a few hours of the Talos Principle 2 and it’s really great so far. Expands on the first game and I’m really liking the story framework and characters.

ok but are frogs people?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

ok but are frogs people?

confirmed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

confirmed

But what about the toad?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Arkham combat is extremely reactive where you wait for the enemy to attack and then parry to create openings

I mean, I still more or less grok what you mean w/r/t Spider-man's combat, but this description sounds way more like Assassin's Creed than Arkham.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

But what about the toad?

if my research is correct, they are friends

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The 7th Guest posted:

also if it's a super highly anticipated game in general, naturally their servers will be slammed. anyone who's participated in a steam sale knows this

You can, and sometimes I do, but usually those kick in when I'm not using the PC for anything else so I don't care. Comcast upgraded my router a few months back and it was my test for how much I was actually getting, went from 7M/s to 70. And yeah, the slow speeds is probably actual server load on their end. Still amused by the contrast.

Edit: thinking about it, there's probably also some difference between a patch and a new install in how they need to use the hard drive and decompress things. I'm still not on solid state so that's gonna be another bottleneck that will vary wildly based on the program.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

kazil posted:

ok but are frogs people?

The "are frogs people?" discussion is now banned.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There is no escape from Wednesday, my dudes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I should probably also get a controller to play a few games I bought which ended up being too finicky without them. I'm looking for something wired, because I have found wireless things don't work especially well for me. I also want something which is easy to disable, because there are a lot of games I play which have Good KB/M controls, and I don't want the controller to seize control of things I don't want to use it with merely because I have a controller plugged in.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bruceski posted:

They're actually very clever about this, when there's a game you haven't played in a while they delay downloading the update by a bit so they can schedule it at the best time when the server load is minimal and you can get max speed.
Unfortunately when everyone else is downloading a new release at the same time it's gonna choke the download server and slow poo poo down.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

3.8 Hours to finish Jusant; I suppose it might wear out its welcome by like 6 hours but I wish it were slightly longer.

Still though, very fun chill/relaxing game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I should probably also get a controller to play a few games I bought which ended up being too finicky without them. I'm looking for something wired, because I have found wireless things don't work especially well for me. I also want something which is easy to disable, because there are a lot of games I play which have Good KB/M controls, and I don't want the controller to seize control of things I don't want to use it with merely because I have a controller plugged in.
8BitDo makes wired versions of all of their controllers, and they're cheaper than the equivalent wireless/Bluetooth versions. The big drawback is that the wired Ultimate doesn't have the Hall effect analog sticks that the Bluetooth one has, IIRC. You could also buy the wireless/Bluetooth Pro 2, which has a removable battery and works just fine over any USB-C to USB-A cable. I'm not sure what that would do for you aside from letting you use it wirelessly if you change your mind somewhere down the road, though. Unfortunately again, the Hall effect Ultimate controllers don't have removable batteries IIRC.

Rinkles posted:

With the Ultimate software you can at least set them up as any other controller button (or a macro). Or have multiple bindings across profiles.

Not sure if this works for the more expensive model, because it connects differently, but with my Ultimate when in D-Input mode I can actually bind the back buttons independently, just not through Steam. I used AntiMicroX.
Did you have to do anything special to get the back buttons to register with AntiMicroX? I'm trying the portable app version with my Bluetooth Pro 2 and it doesn't seem to be registering those buttons in the main "map keyboard poo poo to buttons" tab, though if I click the "Controller Mapping" button, pressing the back paddles blanks out the current controller button mapping, so the app seems to know something's happening.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 3, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Mr E posted:

Only in CineD

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

kazil posted:

ok but are frogs people?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vpXniXMu_o

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr E posted:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

him name is hopkin green frog

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That looks like a human to me. Reverse their language and we can communicate with each other.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I liked the concept of V Rising but i was really not digging the aspects of grinding that didn't respect my time (fast travel restrictions for example), but it makes me a little more wanting of 'messing around with vampire powers'.

Is there a good open world/less-than-linear vampire action game besides like...Skyrim + vampirism powers?

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 3, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morter posted:

I liked the concept of V Rising but i was really not digging the aspects of grinding that didn't respect my time (fast travel restrictions for example), but it makes me a little more wanting of 'messing around with vampire powers'.

Is there a good open world/less-than-linear vampire action game besides like...Skyrim + vampirism powers?

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Morter posted:

I am pretty much always a "play on the default settings (or whatever Hard Mode is if it looks decent)" guy but messing around with resource collection rates, allowing fast travel with materials, and doing a couple other tweaks in V Rising made it SO much more enjoyable. I don't mind a grind but I think the default V Rising settings really aren't intended for solo play.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

goferchan posted:

I am pretty much always a "play on the default settings (or whatever Hard Mode is if it looks decent)" guy but messing around with resource collection rates, allowing fast travel with materials, and doing a couple other tweaks in V Rising made it SO much more enjoyable. I don't mind a grind but I think the default V Rising settings really aren't intended for solo play.

Whoa what? Was 'allow fast travel with materials' a thing? I did adjust resource rates since I played solo/casual but I didn't realize that. Holy hell.

That and the kind of prisoner resource cycle really kind of put me off. I don't mind taking my time with progression but there were some things that were offensively obtuse. I might consider a reinstall...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah at least when I picked the game up again after the last big patch that added multi-floor castles etc it was a toggle when starting a new game, none of what I described requires mods or anything. Not sure if that was the case a few patches ago, I only dipped in briefly at that points

edit: Yeah and all the "timer" stuff like prisoners is completely adjustable too, you can make it as fast as you want. I can see why the timers exist as a measure when playing online to keep PVP from more heavily favoring those who no-life the game, but no reason for that in single player IMO.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 3, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2451030/SkibidiVerse/

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

lmao, I'm so glad I looked at the news, it's even sadder than it looks

They just repackaged the game before it could release and fail

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mr E posted:

70GB for a puzzle game. UE5 is an absolute curse. :negative:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I respect the hustle. Adding the meme gimmick after the game is made is a novel solution

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

70GB for a puzzle game. UE5 is an absolute curse. :negative:

That's only ~2x RAM or ~5x VRAM, PlayStation 2 games were 120x RAM or 1200x VRAM.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

claw game handjob posted:

I honestly have never felt so smug about being out of the loop; what unpleasant internet phenomenon have I missed out on?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Serephina posted:

I honestly have never felt so smug about being out of the loop; what unpleasant internet phenomenon have I missed out on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0fQFFAml5o

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Is there a term for the opposite of clickbait? Cause that thumbnail is it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This is not a place of honor etc.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

Is there a term for the opposite of clickbait? Cause that thumbnail is it.

Both goons and Garry's Mod are aging badly, but you don't have to be mean about it.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

claw game handjob posted:

Where can you see those changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

pseudorandom name posted:

Both goons and Garry's Mod are aging badly, but you don't have to be mean about it.

It comes from a sincere worry that "toilet time" will be scat.