Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orio
May 16, 2022
By the nature of the company and stock no longer existing there can't really be much more news on Bed Bath and Beyond, but I checked in with the idiots anyway.

quote:

We are the MOASS. Understand that we call the shots. This is our game to play now

I can’t stress enough how important it is for you guys to realize the gravity of this glorious situation. Institutional/Insider holdings are less than 1 percent of the float now. Let that sink in. We hold the remaining 99%+ and absolutely dictate where this rocket goes.

When we go live (hopefully backed on the Tzero decentralized system), computers will be RACING on overdrive to meet quotas in a desperate attempt to close short positions first. Us Bobbys hold shares that are well in excess of the TSO, plausibly to the tune of billions of shares. Shorts will be seeking any bids that are on the books, and the lowest bids will fill first. Personally, I will be setting my asks VERY HIGH.

I'd like to ask if you are fond of the idea of getting $10,000 a piece for any of your shares or more? Well guess what, if the lowest bids on the order sheet start at $10,000, that’s the loving floor. The shorts are trapped in here with us, and we hold the keys.

Plan ahead for when our new shares go live and realize that this IS going to be a true Short Squeeze… Likely the Mother Of All Short Squeezes.

Do any of you remember fractional shares selling during the GME sneeze at astronomical levels? This happened precisely because in that moment, those orders were the cheapest/only ones available and the computers were told to fill the lowest bids because their overlords needed shares.

Ex…. A Robinhood user was able to sell a single fractional share (equivalent of 0.196039 of a share) for $2,605.50. That would equate to $13,290.72 per share.

The GME Sneeze was due to volatility in the options chain and the surge of retail FOMO. For a while people were calling it as a short squeeze, but we all know the shorts were never forced to close and cheated their way out of those obligations by turning off the buy button, so that never took place. What IS about to happen will be equivalent to RC reacting to the sneeze and saying….” Oh, you want an actual Short Squeeze? Hold my loving beer!”

Again,
We. Are. The. MOASS!!!!!!!

edit: changed the floor example from "1k or more" to 10k to make this example more accurately match past sell orders that people experienced during the GME sneeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

they are scouring the law firm's itemized billing for cope now. look 652 1/2 hours billed for "M&A Activities" we're going to the mooooon

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The folks at /r/ThePPShow have been baking hard and are bullish. Someone filed a $10 Billion claim against the corpse of BBBY that they are sure is somehow a cash injection.

A blip in stock trading systems has caused BBBY to be relisted on some apps. Obviously, this means new securities will be issued soon!

Finally, Ryan Cohen has been tweeting about The Texas Rangers baseball team. They won last night, so do the math.

THE END IS NIGH

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"I am a millionaire!" I cry after writing "one share" on a piece of paper, photocopying a load and putting one on Craigslist for $1000.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I've put my loads in strange places but never tried photocopying.

These people will never stop believing. There will always be another future date or another obscure legal document to latch on to. The fact that there's still Sears apes is proof alone. I hope the idiots at least claim a loss on their taxes.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 2, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

I could see not knowing what shorting a stock is, and not understanding what a short squeeze is, and accidentally buying some stock because of a wacky meme and making a few thousand off that initial whatever thing on reddit

I can also get where you might then take that several thousand and put it into another new meme stock hoping for something good to happen again while posting more wacky memes, memes are fun and it’s accident money

not sure where all this itt comes from

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

I could see not knowing what shorting a stock is, and not understanding what a short squeeze is, and accidentally buying some stock because of a wacky meme and making a few thousand off that initial whatever thing on reddit

I can also get where you might then take that several thousand and put it into another new meme stock hoping for something good to happen again while posting more wacky memes, memes are fun and it’s accident money

Sunk cost fallacy, wishful thinking, cognitive dissonance and desperation

Nov 6, 2002

Once you refuse to allow a belief you hold to be falsifiable it's game over. No amount of evidence to the contrary will convince them. These people already held their investment all the way down to zero. Now it's not even zero, it's null.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

naem posted:

It's a thing humans do.

Like in the days of records, you could prevent some degree of skipping and slipping by adding weight to the vinyl records on the turntable. This turned into "put a record weight on it to help with playback". People would then buy a record weight and be all happy that they spent an extra $60 for better-sounding records.

Then CDs come out, and people who never understood why they had record weights, are looking to do something similar. Obviously you can't get a weight on the middle of a CD. But somebody decided drawing in there with a green marker would be the equivalent, and now you've got people saying you need to draw a green line on the inside of the CD.

That kind of magical thinking eventually results in people buying gold plated fiber optic cables, or placing backs of polished rocks on speaker cables to absorb "bad" signals. There's always a lot of word salad explaining why the $200 bag of rocks helps, and you can claim to understand it because you are an intellectual.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
movie pitch: in the post-apocalyptic future, a ragtag band of misfits hears rumors of a way to escape from the radiation-ravaged earth to the pristine moon. after searching many ruined cities and overcoming numerous obstacles, they discover in the end only a bunch of printed-out BBBY stock certificates

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Once you refuse to allow a belief you hold to be falsifiable it's game over. No amount of evidence to the contrary will convince them. These people already held their investment all the way down to zero. Now it's not even zero, it's null.

It's similar to flat earthers in that way. We have constant pictures and live video from orbit around a globe Earth. If they're just going to brush that off with a bunch of conspiracy bullshit, then no amount of rationally explaining simple experiments or going through the simple trigonometry for them to follow will convince them of the truth.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
if there is talk about how the stock is worthless, it's shills trying to trick you into selling (we will forget for the moment that you can't sell because the stock is not trading) - bullish!

if there is no talk about how the stock is worthless, it's because shills are in shambles and see the writing on the wall - bullish!

So far I think my favorite era of post-existence BBBY is when they post screenshots from text conversations with entry-level customer service or bots on their trading platform where they interrogate them about what will happen if BBBY comes back, and they are told "yes, we are watching this situation closely and will let you know as soon as anything changes", which they take as - bullish!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Everything about this is bullishit!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

cruft posted:

It's a thing humans do.

Like in the days of records, you could prevent some degree of skipping and slipping by adding weight to the vinyl records on the turntable. This turned into "put a record weight on it to help with playback". People would then buy a record weight and be all happy that they spent an extra $60 for better-sounding records.

Then CDs come out, and people who never understood why they had record weights, are looking to do something similar. Obviously you can't get a weight on the middle of a CD. But somebody decided drawing in there with a green marker would be the equivalent, and now you've got people saying you need to draw a green line on the inside of the CD.

That kind of magical thinking eventually results in people buying gold plated fiber optic cables, or placing backs of polished rocks on speaker cables to absorb "bad" signals. There's always a lot of word salad explaining why the $200 bag of rocks helps, and you can claim to understand it because you are an intellectual.

I’m not an audiophile, and always wondered at all of that stuff, while simultaneously not caring enough to look it up. You have educated the ignorant today. 🤪

Nov 6, 2002

They also can't fathom that people on the Internet, of their own accord, would want to spend time making fun of them. Must be paid shills!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They also can't fathom that people on the Internet, of their own accord, would want to spend time making fun of them. Must be paid shills!

Why would people do something without either (A) being paid to do it or (B) expecting that it will eventually be profitable. I just don't get it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’m not an audiophile

Wear that badge with pride, friend.

As an update: I looked up the green marker on CD thing and apparently they do it on the outer edge? I'm still pretty sure the record weight led to it, but I want to make sure I'm not communicating falsehoods about quacky bullshit!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Story checks out: the huckster continues to get paid for ad impressions or whatever, regardless of whether the stock actually exists.

Nov 6, 2002

This guy is totally going to get what's coming to him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The maths is a bit off.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

cruft posted:

Wear that badge with pride, friend.

As an update: I looked up the green marker on CD thing and apparently they do it on the outer edge? I'm still pretty sure the record weight led to it, but I want to make sure I'm not communicating falsehoods about quacky bullshit!

I believe the "green marker on the edge of a CD" thing was about preventing light leak that might cause the laser in the CD to not pick up everything as cleanly. No, obviously it doesn't actually help with that and no, it doesn't matter now "clean" you read a 1 or 0 as long as you read the 1 or 0. So while it is the same level of magical thinking and only-slightly-understanding the technology, it isn't directly related to record weights.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Any proof I am wrong is just further proof everyone else is wrong and I am right. :smuggo:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

LanceHunter posted:

I believe the "green marker on the edge of a CD" thing was about preventing light leak that might cause the laser in the CD to not pick up everything as cleanly. No, obviously it doesn't actually help with that and no, it doesn't matter now "clean" you read a 1 or 0 as long as you read the 1 or 0. So while it is the same level of magical thinking and only-slightly-understanding the technology, it isn't directly related to record weights.

https://youtu.be/THbKEXBk8X0?si=XbayTumKV7H_JpT7
When I see this bit, I sometimes wonder who at MST3K was either an audiophile or had to deal with one. Mike does the CD marker thing at some point like 2/3 through this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, that's the current explanation, but my recollection from way back when is that it began as the CD version of a record weight. Like how BBBY short squeezing began as an actual short squeeze.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong. And I certainly don't have a sample size larger than my little area in Albuquerque: the Internet wasn't around yet.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter. People do stupid poo poo for made-up reasons.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

The version of this story I'd heard is that it did legitimately work on some Sony CDs to defeat copy protection: https://www.wired.com/2002/05/cd-crack-magic-marker-indeed/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fenrisulfr posted:

The version of this story I'd heard is that it did legitimately work on some Sony CDs to defeat copy protection: https://www.wired.com/2002/05/cd-crack-magic-marker-indeed/

That's different: they're using a black marker to completely block light to a track on the outside edge of the CD. They're drawing the line on the face of the CD, effectively preventing the drive from reading that region. It would be like using scissors to cut the outside of a floppy disc's magnetic disc.

The green thing was around the 1mm edge of the CD. At least, the ones I saw were. I'm sure there are all kinds of regional variations on this lunacy.

E: I distinctly recall the very first idiots to do this in my town (or at least the first I saw) were painting the *inside* of the CD green. I don't remember when that practice transitioned to the outside: I even forgot it had moved at some point.

I just found a weirdo on an audiophile forum who's painting both the inside and the outside. It seems this is still being debated, today, in 2023.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 2, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ashpanash posted:

It's similar to flat earthers in that way. We have constant pictures and live video from orbit around a globe Earth. If they're just going to brush that off with a bunch of conspiracy bullshit, then no amount of rationally explaining simple experiments or going through the simple trigonometry for them to follow will convince them of the truth.

bronze age and pre histroic civs got that the earth was round, basic geometry and walking on flat ground (or boating) literally single digit body length just for a several seconds is enough to change your personal celestial hemisphere

flat earths are stupider than grade schools before their first official geometry lesson. or even some animals that "use" basic navigation. like dung beetles.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We are not going anywhere, we will be right here, losing money, FOREVER

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bird with big dick posted:

We are not going anywhere, we will be right here, losing money, FOREVER

Owned hedgie?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

Who on earth plays the lute while not erect? It's impossible.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I love seeing the “where are my shares?” posts. Dude they represent a part of something that no longer exists. Imagine if you sold me 50% of the love and respect your family has for you and then used that money to buy bbby. Now I show up looking to cash in my shares of that love and respect and what can you possibly give me?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I would also like to gently caress floor

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Brain Curry posted:

I love seeing the “where are my shares?” posts. Dude they represent a part of something that no longer exists. Imagine if you sold me 50% of the love and respect your family has for you and then used that money to buy bbby. Now I show up looking to cash in my shares of that love and respect and what can you possibly give me?

not financial advice, that's for sure

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

TVs Ian posted:

https://youtu.be/THbKEXBk8X0?si=XbayTumKV7H_JpT7
When I see this bit, I sometimes wonder who at MST3K was either an audiophile or had to deal with one. Mike does the CD marker thing at some point like 2/3 through this.

I assume "deal with one", the whole segment seems like it's making fun of audiophiles and you don't even know what Mike is doing if you don't already know what that is - and I didn't until this thread! Obviously I'd heard of gold plated optical cables, gold plated power cables, network switches with plastic gems superglued inside them (and glue in the screws to prevent you from looking inside), blocks of incredibly expensive wood or stone you're expected to place on your hifi or elsewhere in the room to "make the sound better", the "vinyl/CD/cable demagnetiser", etc. as those are all fairly modern.

Totally tangential, but I remember in the late '80s my dad, always worried about burglary and security (which are now concerns I always have) went around at one point writing his name and address with an invisible ink UV marker on everything, like hifi units, the TV, random other valuables, and he started out on his CD collection, just writing invisibly right on the label. He got about half way through when he wrote on his Paul Simon's Graceland CD and it just dissolved the silver layer completely, just disappeared before his eyes the second the ink touched it, leaving a totally transparent plastic circle, and he had to buy a new one. That also put an end to the UV marker thing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Brain Curry posted:

I mean, the thing is, they really, really do think that these shares exist; they're adamant that Bed Bath and Beyond is a going concern that will soon be saved by Ryan Cohen flying in on his teddy bear shaped super jet-car and giving them each personally seventy hojilionbillion dollarydoos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a tinge of truth to their cargo cult capitalism in that they see that you can become rich without any actual work just by owning the right thing at the right time. It's good work if you can get it. The problem is not understanding literally every other aspect of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nothing funny yet but AIRE recently hit market popped to $400 now $10 history is like a week maybe two? I see a few reddit posts that might be starting the cult for this one.