Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I know this is probably blasphemous around these parts, but there was a time when Instagram was kind of the perfect social media app. No ads, no algorithmic feed dictating what you see, just a nice little neat and simple stream you could open a few times a day and see quick little snapshots of people's lives without all the added weight. It was also a good way to follow updates on things you are interested in, again, without the clutter of Facebook. It grew to be more than just "here's a selfie of me every day" and was a good way to create an account to share your own hobbies and interests as well.

Then they actually made it a pretty good photo editing and hosting app, and I liked to use it to share my photography. The hashtag function actually got my stuff seen by more than the people who already follow me.

Well, at some point within the last few months they basically killed the hashtag function. You used to be able to tap on any hashtag and it would take you to a page of every post tagged with that hashtag and you could sort by "Top" or "Most Recent". Well, now, doing this only shows you a small selection of "Top" posts. So now it is very difficult for your stuff to get "discovered" if you aren't already. Or say for example you want to see other posts from an event you just attended... you no longer can.

But probably the worst is the ads (of course). Once completely ad free, then ads crept in more and more, now literally 1/3rd of everything you see is an ad or sponsored post. Instagram has to be one of the finest examples of enshitification.

IGs enshitification is downright impressive. Their algorithm is mercurial as gently caress, any sort of customer service or assistance is nonexistent and trying to become TikTok is pissing off their user base who, if they wanted to use TikTok, would use TikTok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Tried IG 5-6 years ago I think, didn't like how mobile oriented it was so I stopped using it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
A person I used to know on Facebook used to saturate posts with hashtags and I always wondered if her wall of tags ever got a single additional person to look at her dumb kid. #momlife #momjokes #momlifeforever #lovebeinamom #moms #mom #momcomedy #comedy #posts #facebook #love

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

anyone know if there are any good ad blockers still functioning on ios? i currently use adguard and previously 1blocker, and both used to work great but i see ads all over now. i don’t even mind paying 2 bucks per month now or whatever if there’s actually a blocker that’s still worth a drat for mobile devices.

on a separate topic, i have found one silver lining to shrinkflation and grocery price gouging. it finally makes sense to do most shopping at costco instead of publix, etc. i don’t have kids, so buying in bulk for 2 adults used to seem wasteful and was way more expensive since stuff would go to waste, but not really anymore. just wish there was a good farmers market locally so i could cut out all trips to the regular grocery store entirely.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

A person I used to know on Facebook used to saturate posts with hashtags and I always wondered if her wall of tags ever got a single additional person to look at her dumb kid. #momlife #momjokes #momlifeforever #lovebeinamom #moms #mom #momcomedy #comedy #posts #facebook #love

On Facebook? Nahh. People never used Facebook like that. But Instagram’s Hashtag system worked like Twitter’s and was actually useful. Was.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I just got my first AI generated image result on google images. I wish to scream

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I just got my first AI generated image result on google images. I wish to scream

Goddrat GIS sucks wet, muddy rear end nowadays. Navigation and layout are poo poo on both mobile and desktop, search tools have been unceremoniously crammed into the last slot in a single-line scrollable menu bar (everyone stop loving doing this please), and the reverse image search and similar images features just straight up don't work most of the time. Google has really become the Vanguard of enshittification lately, may their poo poo come to life and kiss them on the lips.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

credburn posted:

What, no #momedy?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bad Purchase posted:

anyone know if there are any good ad blockers still functioning on ios? i currently use adguard and previously 1blocker, and both used to work great but i see ads all over now. i don’t even mind paying 2 bucks per month now or whatever if there’s actually a blocker that’s still worth a drat for mobile devices.

i don't have a universal one for all apps but for browsers, Brave works.

people seem to have trouble doing screen-off youtube streaming so i'll mention i also use brave to do screen-off youtube. go full screen on the video, then swipe to home so it goes picture in picture, then screen off.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i don't have a universal one for all apps but for browsers, Brave works.

people seem to have trouble doing screen-off youtube streaming so i'll mention i also use brave to do screen-off youtube. go full screen on the video, then swipe to home so it goes picture in picture, then screen off.

Is Brave still a secret cryptocurrency miner?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i love the race to get shittier. Thanks "MAX"!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i love the race to get shittier. Thanks "MAX"!

looks like some good new features :) thanks to all who helped get these out the door.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

steinrokkan posted:

I love frantically clicking the back button in a race to overcome all the scripts and God knows what that are trying to prevent me from leaving a website

And I always hit it a couple times too many and end up back here in GBS lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I once got picked up in a Tesla Model X with the gullwing doors and everything and I have no idea how someone who drives Lyft could afford one or why anyone who could afford one would drive Lyft.

I got a Lyft from a guy who rented the car they were driving that day. I guess if you can clear the rental fee each day it can work, but it strikes me as a really bad idea.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The "New" Microsoft Office 365 versions are dire. I should never be surprised by Microsoft making something worse, but here I am, bewildered at just how bad they can be.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Random Stranger posted:

I got a Lyft from a guy who rented the car they were driving that day. I guess if you can clear the rental fee each day it can work, but it strikes me as a really bad idea.

Lyft will rent you a car to use as your Lyft vehicle.

https://www.lyft.com/expressdrive

150-180 a week, you can probably clear that easily in a busy city I guess? Not a great long term plan though.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You also run into the occasional retired person with a nice car that just really likes to drive around.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Feels like Windows 10 keeps trying to sneak new 11 features in for some reason.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Failson posted:

The "New" Microsoft Office 365 versions are dire. I should never be surprised by Microsoft making something worse, but here I am, bewildered at just how bad they can be.

Just let me paste plain text! :argh:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

wash bucket posted:

Sorry, Copy/Paste is now enhanced with AI and powered by The Cloud (And requires a subscription of $9.95 / month)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

wash bucket posted:

No when you’re sending a piece of code or something you need to just put in a text box, what’s important is that the timestamp and sender comes with it too

This won’t lead to you having a million notepads open just so you can remove the extra crap

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
My smart TV did a firmware upgrade at some point and now it advertises a "hit the mic button on your remote and just tell your TV what you want to do and it will do it!" feature on start-up. My remote doesn't have a mic button and I wouldn't have purchased the TV if it came with one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Feels like there would be a market for "dumb" technologies. Dumb TVs, dumb cars, dumb toasters that just toast and don't need WiFi.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

redshirt posted:

Feels like there would be a market for "dumb" technologies. Dumb TVs, dumb cars, dumb toasters that just toast and don't need WiFi.

If there were a reliable dumb TV manufacturer left in existence I would be all over it. My living room TV is basically the last dumb TV Samsung made and I'm dreading the day it shits the bed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If there were a reliable dumb TV manufacturer left in existence I would be all over it. My living room TV is basically the last dumb TV Samsung made and I'm dreading the day it shits the bed.

I use a computer monitor and 2+1 computer speakers. Works fine with no issues.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wash bucket posted:

one note is the worst at this. i use it at work occasionally, and it always wants to paste the text i copy from one note as an image into teams or word

i have to paste into notepad++ first and recopy

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Cerekk posted:

Create new event or task -> click where it says "do not repeat" -> custom -> every 5 days

This is pages ago, but that option, for some reason, literally doesn't exist on mine. The options I have are daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

I feel like I'm being gaslit by a phone. It doesn't make any sense for the option to just be missing.

Since I'm in the bitching thread:

Why the gently caress are there so many new programs that don't let you just keybind what you want? Freely assigning keys has been kind of a solved game for a very long time, even a lot of indie devs just let you do it.

It doesn't matter if it's work or a video game, being able to work the controls in a way that makes ergonomic sense is kind of vital. Keybinding conflicts aren't exactly rocket science to fix, I was doing this poo poo as a kid.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

one note is the worst at this. i use it at work occasionally, and it always wants to paste the text i copy from one note as an image into teams or word

i have to paste into notepad++ first and recopy

Oh thank God I'm not the only one angry about this.

I've just switched entirely to libreoffice because I don't have a job that requires a specific program.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Apple mail desktop when pasting links in to emails and changing them into “link previews” with some random images (if it finds one) and title

We’ve had email for way too long for my brain to understand links in emails as anything but plain text and I don’t trust them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cabal Ties posted:

Apple mail desktop when pasting links in to emails and changing them into “link previews” with some random images (if it finds one) and title

We’ve had email for way too long for my brain to understand links in emails as anything but plain text and I don’t trust them

Outlook does this now too. I also can't sign in to work email with a normal email client anymore cause of some azure cloud bullshit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My monitors linked via dock poo poo the bed randomly and I need to unplug/replig my laptop mtiple times a day. This is a known problem for years and Lenovo still hasn't fixed it.

Definitely won't result in my USB C port getting hosed up.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hey Plex yeah this may shock you but I have 0 interest in you turning into a social media platform. Also please stop with the garbage carousals of features I don't want thank you.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey Plex yeah this may shock you but I have 0 interest in you turning into a social media platform. Also please stop with the garbage carousals of features I don't want thank you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I switched to Emby when plex started getting bloaty and premium-y. I just want a local media server, I don’t need to have my own personal streaming service to use anywhere.

Although Emby is shittifying too and the good one is now Jellyfin, which forked from Emby. I’ll probably switch at some point e point

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Isentropy posted:

No when you’re sending a piece of code or something you need to just put in a text box, what’s important is that the timestamp and sender comes with it too

This won’t lead to you having a million notepads open just so you can remove the extra crap

That reminds me. Microsoft upgraded Notepad with tabs.

... It crashed on me for the first time ever. NOTEPAD! CRASHED!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Look at business/professional displays if you really want to go down that path. We got some at work and you turn it on and its a menu. No adds, no extra things.

But it also costs more then a regular TV, and usually lag on features.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm gonna found the Tech for Dummies company. Where all the tech is as dumb as possible.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

wash bucket posted:

Why is it that when I copy double spaced 14 pt Times New Roman text from one document to another document in double spaced 14 pt Times New Roman, does it come out as 16 pt bold Calibri in an indented numbered list.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

This is pages ago, but that option, for some reason, literally doesn't exist on mine. The options I have are daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

I feel like I'm being gaslit by a phone. It doesn't make any sense for the option to just be missing.

You might not actually be using default Android calendar then. I know Samsung has their own calendar app they force by default, I imagine other manufacturers are the same too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Without data collection ponzi scheme money it would cost as much as a monitor of similar specs, plus extra for the tuner hardware, plus even more for low production volume, and no one would buy it. Just get a big monitor and use your computer, TVs have no reason to exist when we all have computers.