Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I want my 12.9 oled m3 iPad already

Same but 11 inch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apple man says Dynamic caching helps GPU utilization but I don't get it. How does optimizing memory allocation help utilization? Over allocation shouldn't -hurt- GPU utilization.

"In our next generation GPU, local memory gets dynamically allocated in hardware in realtime. So only the exact amount of memory is needed is used for each task. This dramatically increases the utilization of the GPU which significantly increases performance of the most demanding pro apps and games. This is an industry first"
-Apple man

Sounds like this would only help performance of memory limited scenarios.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 31, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If the e-cores are so much faster/efficient than the M1 why are they taking away p-cores from the Pro? Feel like they're doing it just so they can jump back from 6 to 8 p-cores next gen to make the % performance increase seem better.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 1, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BobHoward posted:

Kinda cool that what used to take on the order of minutes or hours per frame

But enough about loading it off the CD :v:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Are they actually comparing GPU performance to an intel iGPU?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Are they actually comparing GPU performance to an intel iGPU?

I mean it’s kinda the same idea?

Kinda?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
According to the 2 slides they presented on perf/watt vs a PC equivalent, they are basically saying the M3 (vanilla?) is ~4.5x more power efficient than a 13th gen Intel doing the same workload. I don't keep up with Intel/AMD mobile performance per watt so I'm not sure how close to real life that is but it seems quite up there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

According to the 2 slides they presented on perf/watt vs a PC equivalent, they are basically saying the M3 (vanilla?) is ~4.5x more power efficient than a 13th gen Intel doing the same workload. I don't keep up with Intel/AMD mobile performance per watt so I'm not sure how close to real life that is but it seems quite up there.

Intel is absolutely terrible right now when it comes to power.

Like it’s legitimately bad.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Canned Sunshine posted:

I legitimately think that this event was somewhat "rushed"; obviously it was planned given it's pre-recorded and all, but it seems like they really wanted to get the M3s into at least the MBPs to help boost sales, given I think sales have recently been disappointing.

You're not the first one I've seen repeating this "rushed" narrative, but it's extremely implausible and very naive about how chip design works. It takes multiple years to plan, design, debug, and production ramp a new SoC. As one part of Apple's team was finalizing M1, another part would already have been working on the early phases of M3's design process. You can't suddenly decide to launch a chip ahead of schedule just because you're worried about poor sales of the old thing, especially when the new chips depend on someone else's development timeline (as these did - A17 and M3 are the first mass production products for TSMC's 3nm node).

When I say "can't" - ok, there are sometimes corners which can be cut, but you really do not want to actually go there. Customers tend to be pissed off by buggy, half-functional, underperforming chips. The best chance for getting ahead of schedule is if your design team executed so incredibly well that post-silicon validation found no significant bugs (that is, nothing without low-impact software workarounds) in the first engineering sample revision, meaning you can just move right to production with few or no revisions. This rarely happens, and it's not something you can plan for, it's a happy accident.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weren’t a lot of people expecting the M3 to be a big leap forward? I know I read that when people saw the M2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You can delay tho. Have something in your pocket but release it when its more opportune. Which may make the subsequent release seem rushed.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

mediaphage posted:

apple will use whoever gives them the best terms with sufficiently good technology. if say this new canon lithography endeavour works out, they'd happily switch. for now tsmc does the job

Canon's position in this market isn't fabricating chips, it's building the equipment used by other companies to fabricate chips. If they're successful with their new lithography, they'll be selling tools to companies like TSMC and Intel. Their competition is other semiconductor tooling companies like ASML (the big provider of EUV lithography tools).

As the foundry market is currently structured, Apple doesn't have a lot of options beyond TSMC. Maybe Intel, if they get their process tech back on track and also figure out how to operate as a foundry. (Their track record on that hasn't been great, all their corporate culture was built on Intel fabs serving only Intel internal "customers" and it shows.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BobHoward posted:

Canon's position in this market isn't fabricating chips, it's building the equipment used by other companies to fabricate chips. If they're successful with their new lithography, they'll be selling tools to companies like TSMC and Intel. Their competition is other semiconductor tooling companies like ASML (the big provider of EUV lithography tools).

As the foundry market is currently structured, Apple doesn't have a lot of options beyond TSMC. Maybe Intel, if they get their process tech back on track and also figure out how to operate as a foundry. (Their track record on that hasn't been great, all their corporate culture was built on Intel fabs serving only Intel internal "customers" and it shows.)

ah my bad. i thought canon also did some chip fabbing in addition to working on the production equipment. there’s always more chips being made than i remember so it didn’t surprise me.

that said i could see more companies getting into higher-end chip fabbing (likely in addition to whatever other semiconductor work they’re doing) if someone. anyone managed to reduce the cost of both equipment and general production

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

I want my 15" 16:9 oled m3 iPad already

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shaocaholica posted:

Iirc gamers nexus had one of the 14th gen chips hitting 288 watts. Intel has really been pushing tdp to hold ground against amd lately

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A 16:9 iPad is a cursed product

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Mister Facetious posted:

Iirc gamers nexus had one of the 14th gen chips hitting 288 watts. Intel has really been pushing tdp to hold ground against amd lately

The craziest-rear end thing is that most of the power’s being wasted in pursuit of incremental gains. Limited to 95W the same chip managed around 90-96% of the performance as it did running all-out; Intel established that the chip can run at massive voltages without keeling over, so they’ve set them to preposterous power limits because they want to compete with AMD and their target market of (insert Jeff K-ism) doesn’t care, or even thinks that’s a badge of prestige by way of conspicuous consumption.

I’ve been building and using PCs since 1996. The rush to market and power waste is genuinely as awful as its ever been, and mobile is a maze of performance expectations, sometimes with the same chip performing markedly different between different models by the same manufacturer. Apple has plenty of problems, but I do know what to expect from their hardware, and these days that means a lot to me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hasturtium posted:

The craziest-rear end thing is that most of the power’s being wasted in pursuit of incremental gains. Limited to 95W the same chip managed around 90-96% of the performance as it did running all-out; Intel established that the chip can run at massive voltages without keeling over, so they’ve set them to preposterous power limits because they want to compete with AMD and their target market of (insert Jeff K-ism) doesn’t care, or even thinks that’s a badge of prestige by way of conspicuous consumption.

I’ve been building and using PCs since 1996. The rush to market and power waste is genuinely as awful as its ever been, and mobile is a maze of performance expectations, sometimes with the same chip performing markedly different between different models by the same manufacturer. Apple has plenty of problems, but I do know what to expect from their hardware, and these days that means a lot to me.

Those Intel -K parts are specifically for the gamers, as always Intel has a complete line of processors that go into Dells and poo poo that isn't blown off the end of the voltage curve.

Intel just wants gamers to buy the -K chips so they are the only ones that they send out review kits for. If you want a review of an i7-13700 or something the reviewer has to buy it with their own cash.

The other problem is that motherboards are the ones actually setting the power limits, and every mobo vendor wants to have the highest benchmark results, because the 30 different motherboard companies do send out review samples to everyone and their dog.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BobHoward posted:

You're not the first one I've seen repeating this "rushed" narrative, but it's extremely implausible and very naive about how chip design works. It takes multiple years to plan, design, debug, and production ramp a new SoC. As one part of Apple's team was finalizing M1, another part would already have been working on the early phases of M3's design process. You can't suddenly decide to launch a chip ahead of schedule just because you're worried about poor sales of the old thing, especially when the new chips depend on someone else's development timeline (as these did - A17 and M3 are the first mass production products for TSMC's 3nm node).

I think you have misinterpreted what I meant; that wasn't implying that the M3 architecture itself was rushed in terms of development; I fully believe that it proceeded as Apple intended, as you said, especially given that A17 Pro formed the basis for M3, instead of the A16 Bionic.

I meant "rushed" in terms of the announcement of the updated MBPs happening on October 30th instead of a week or two later, into November. On one hand, yeah, the January release of the M2 Pro/Max MBPs was delayed relative to what had occurred the prior two years, so getting back on what had seemingly become an October/November release cadence makes sense. At the same time, we know that Mac sales are down, and that sales of M2 Max/Pro MBPs were lackluster, likely due to quite a few M1 Pro/Max early adopters who aren't yet ready to upgrade.

We also know that Apple is planning to announce their Q4 results on November 2nd, so if they do report non-ideal results, they can at least point to the release of the M3-based MBPs and iMac as likely revenue growth drivers for the next quarter, especially given the advertising emphasis on mesh shading and hardware-accelerated ray tracing.

Looking at it another way, when they announced the M1 Pro/Max MBPs in October 2021, shipments of most SKUs/BTOs began within a week, though some very-high end configs slipped. But the 10cpu32gpu Max top-end config shipped within a week.

The max-GPU core M2 Pro/Max MBPs also shipped within a week of announcement.

The top-end M3 Max config currently is about 2-3 weeks out for shipping, though it gets significantly worse if you do anything besides upgrading the SSD size.

So whether they always planned the "Scary Fast" event, or whether it was a back-half of the quarter decision, I think normally it would have been more aligned with faster shipment dates and/or greater quantities of popular SKUs. But we also know TSMC is having issues with 3nm, so it is what it is.

Edit:

Yeah, like this:

Shaocaholica posted:

You can delay tho. Have something in your pocket but release it when its more opportune. Which may make the subsequent release seem rushed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FCKGW posted:

It replaces the 13” MBP which also came with 8gb of ram

yeah, the one that everyone also complained only came with 8GB and how much it cost to upgrade to a reasonable amount of RAM for a thousand buck computer

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The freaking iphone 15 pro has 8GB of ram, it's going to surpass the base laptop soon.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
a Pro laptop shouldn't ship with less than 16GB imo

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
lol at the at the stupidness of Apple. I was contemplating switching to a Pro from an Air because I do a poo poo ton of coding, ARCGIS stuff on parallels and data analysis, but 36GB is way too much RAM for way too much money

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My coworker is thinking of picking up a MacBook while on vacation in Japan. Apparently, it shakes out to being a fair bit cheaper vs buying it here in the States. If he does get a MacBook overseas, does AppleCare (non-+) work internationally, as in, back home in California? No out of pocket charges if the machine goofs up due to hardware failure?

Next, he was wondering what level MacBook he should get. He’s coming from a 2017 i5 MacBook Pro, 8GB/128GB config. He says performance is getting pokey (his usage is content consumption, chrome with a handful of tabs, chat apps all firing at once). Told him it’s probably the 8GB memory causing issues, probably paired alongside a 6 year old processor. Also told him he’d be happy as a clam in something like an M1 Air with 16GB memory (16GB in any M generation was a non negotiable if he wanted this thing to carry on happily for the next 5 years, I explained)

Is that advice on point? His budget is around 1200 out the door, and that seems to be the best we can do here. There seems to be mountains of M1 Airs on sale at places like Best Buy, Microcenter. The harder part appears to be finding one with a 16/256 config. There’s a smaller collection of 8/512 configs, but 16/256 appears laughably rare. What do y’all think?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Have you checked the apple official refurb store?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yep. Nothing there as of tonight. We were curious. There’s also some site that tracks refurb stock right?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, like this:

Nah. The right time to start selling a new chip which targets a competitive market is nearly always as soon as it's ready to sell. The competition's not standing still, and if you give them time, they will devalue what you're sitting on by launching their own new chips. That's not good, because you've just spent an absolute asston of money developing your thing, it's on your books as a dead loss until you get revenue coming in, and artificially delaying it only reduces the amount it will earn over its useful lifetime.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

buglord posted:

Is that advice on point? His budget is around 1200 out the door, and that seems to be the best we can do here. There seems to be mountains of M1 Airs on sale at places like Best Buy, Microcenter. The harder part appears to be finding one with a 16/256 config. There’s a smaller collection of 8/512 configs, but 16/256 appears laughably rare. What do y’all think?

8/256 and 8/512 are “stock” configs, everything else is BTO. The only stores outside of Apple that I know carries BTO builds is B&H and maybe Adorama.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

buglord posted:

My coworker is thinking of picking up a MacBook while on vacation in Japan. Apparently, it shakes out to being a fair bit cheaper vs buying it here in the States. If he does get a MacBook overseas, does AppleCare (non-+) work internationally, as in, back home in California? No out of pocket charges if the machine goofs up due to hardware failure?

Next, he was wondering what level MacBook he should get. He’s coming from a 2017 i5 MacBook Pro, 8GB/128GB config. He says performance is getting pokey (his usage is content consumption, chrome with a handful of tabs, chat apps all firing at once). Told him it’s probably the 8GB memory causing issues, probably paired alongside a 6 year old processor. Also told him he’d be happy as a clam in something like an M1 Air with 16GB memory (16GB in any M generation was a non negotiable if he wanted this thing to carry on happily for the next 5 years, I explained)

256 is much too small my dude. 512 minimum or bust if he wants that thing to be his daily for 5+ years. 16/256 is super rare because almost nobody buys those. Most people who need/know they need at least 16gb of RAM tend to need at least half a terabyte of storage

Black Friday’s coming and there should be sales on MacBooks

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 1, 2023

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
For ages my MacMini just wouldn't ever connect to my homepod, even when it would instantly work if I tried to connect my iPad or phone to it. In the last week or so it started working perfectly every time, I think since one of the last few updates for Ventura.

Was a bit annoying because the error message was so generic I couldn't search for it anywhere.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BobHoward posted:

Nah. The right time to start selling a new chip which targets a competitive market is nearly always as soon as it's ready to sell. The competition's not standing still, and if you give them time, they will devalue what you're sitting on by launching their own new chips. That's not good, because you've just spent an absolute asston of money developing your thing, it's on your books as a dead loss until you get revenue coming in, and artificially delaying it only reduces the amount it will earn over its useful lifetime.

We were talking about a period of weeks, not months or years. And I'm not sure how much competition Apple truly has at this point. Yeah, you're going to get a few who might be swayed and cross-over, but in that span of weeks, I don't think it's really that big of a deal to hold onto product until you have sufficient quantity of popular SKUs that you can ship within 1 week of announcement instead of making customers wait a few weeks from purchasing.

Because sure, you "announced it", but if some SKUs that you know people are going to upgrade to, take extra time, then you've essentially transferred that 1-2 weeks from Apple, who didn't have that product quickly ready to go, to instead the customer, since it was put up for sale on the Apple Store.

And so I still think, at some point over the last several weeks, they decided to host this "Scary Fast" event and squeeze it in just before they reported results later the same week. Overall, to me it's not even really that big of a deal, but I think they could have held this event in early-to-mid November and it probably wouldn't have changed much beyond immediate availability in-store for some SKUs and <1 week time to ship for others.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I just recommended someone a Mac and am now having a wobble. Can the M1Max Studio do 4x USB-C video outputs, PLUS a 5th one over HDMI? Every Mac suggests yes. None needs to be higher than 1080p

Use case is QLab with 4 outputs to stage, plus a monitor for the operator

Display Support: 5 Displays* Resolution Support: 6016x3384 (6K)*
Details: *This model supports "up to" five simultaneous displays -- four displays "up to" 6K resolution (6016x3384) at 60 Hz via USB-C and one display "up to" 4K (4096x2160) at 60 Hz via HDMI.

The Thunderbolt 4 ports support native DisplayPort output using USB-C as well as Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output with adapters. In addition to HDMI, the HDMI port supports DVI using an HDMI to DVI adapter. All adapters are sold separately.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't know why they don't just call out a current year model of laptop from the competing brands. Nothing's *reeeally* stopping them.

I mean

Besides being compared toa real gpu at the same price bracket, that is.

Which is silly because aside for “games” no modern windows laptop at $2000 feels as nice in hand doesn’t get hot/has as good of battery life as a $2000 MacBook Pro.

It becomes a series of trade offs. But that doesn’t advertise as well I suppose.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Is there a place to buy an armband for a Watch Ultra? My google-fu is failing me here.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Do you mean official or knockoffs? For the latter I had good luck with whatever looked good on Amazon. Quality is worse but still serviceable especially as they only cost like 10% for a 3-pack if you’re lucky. I had some that were almost 1:1 the Apple bands but disappeared from Amazon later lol

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

xgalaxy posted:

Is there a place to buy an armband for a Watch Ultra? My google-fu is failing me here.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPuD6fi ?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Bobstar posted:

I just recommended someone a Mac and am now having a wobble. Can the M1Max Studio do 4x USB-C video outputs, PLUS a 5th one over HDMI? Every Mac suggests yes. None needs to be higher than 1080p

Use case is QLab with 4 outputs to stage, plus a monitor for the operator

Display Support: 5 Displays* Resolution Support: 6016x3384 (6K)*
Details: *This model supports "up to" five simultaneous displays -- four displays "up to" 6K resolution (6016x3384) at 60 Hz via USB-C and one display "up to" 4K (4096x2160) at 60 Hz via HDMI.

The Thunderbolt 4 ports support native DisplayPort output using USB-C as well as Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output with adapters. In addition to HDMI, the HDMI port supports DVI using an HDMI to DVI adapter. All adapters are sold separately.

I've got one of those and it's not actually listed anywhere in system profiler but I'm fairly sure it's capable of 4x USB-C + 1 HDMI like the documentation you've been looking at says it is. The M1 Max specs for the equivalent MacBook are also the same (1 Internal/3 USB-C + 1 HDMI) and they're the same processors so I'm sure they'd line up.

The HDMI port is only 2.0 (whereas it's 2.1 on the M2 models) but it sounds for the use case you've recommended that won't be an issue.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
If I've got about $1100 to spend, would that be enough to afford some sort of used/refurbished Mac that could run Logic Pro, edit & record audio on it, etc.? I'm worried about pulling the trigger on a purchase and buy something underpowered or lovely and being stuck with it, just looking for some guidance...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Reaganomicon posted:

If I've got about $1100 to spend, would that be enough to afford some sort of used/refurbished Mac that could run Logic Pro, edit & record audio on it, etc.? I'm worried about pulling the trigger on a purchase and buy something underpowered or lovely and being stuck with it, just looking for some guidance...

You can: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/16gb

But to get one with 16GB of memory and 512GB of storage, you’re looking at $1200 or so. The extra cash would be well spent in your case. Logic’s loops collection is hefty, and even if you’re not using that part, you’ll be happy to have the extra storage for everything else.

An M1 will do just fine. You might be able to configure a Mini too, but I’m not sure if you can swing a desktop or not. There probably will be some sales coming up, but I’d probably say just scoop up one of the refurbished models above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Reaganomicon posted:

Woot has / had the 16 inch M1 Pro refurb for $1200

It’s a drat good deal imo.

If you keep an eye on it it should come back.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/app...=Slickdeals+LLC

These are Apple refurbished units so you can get Apple care on them and stuff.