Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Kchama posted:

Big planners or not, they wouldn't want to fight the US and uhh, you'd need a lot more troops then they could easily ferry over to pacify Taiwan.

Sorry, I was talking about what China would do if they replaced Russia in this UA/Russia war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tai posted:

A rifle and 2 mags of ammo. Maybe some warm clothing if you're lucky

And a fish block

I've skipped a lot of the war for mental health reasons, but what's this about fish blocks?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

can Ukraine create slagmountains faster than Russia can climb them?

Not if Russia takes the coke plant behind the slagmountain, then it's game over Avdiivka.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tai posted:

Sorry, I was talking about what China would do if they replaced Russia in this UA/Russia war

China would have given Ukraine loads of loans and just owned their economy like they have been doing in Africa and Sth Pacific. China wouldnt use a gun at all.

And whats happening in Afghanistan as there is a shitload of rare earth stuff that China would love to exploit

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Beachcomber posted:

I've skipped a lot of the war for mental health reasons, but what's this about fish blocks?

Russian waregild

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Pretty sure China is in active border disputes with nearly every neighbour it has, and has invented a bunch of maritime ones. There may not be many shots fired, but they are definitely using their military to take land and sea. I would imagine they would just keep taking chunks out of Ukraine, and judging how much pushback they are getting to if they should hold it or back off.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
China just dumping piles and piles of sand onto Ukraine and claiming they're Chinese-owned islands.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the loan situation is far more idiot chinese investors being taken for a ride in the international debt markets, because sovereign debt is a market for lemons

every sovereign was (and still is) an outrageous credit risk because if they say "we are not paying our debts" and you ask them with which army, they point to their fuckin army

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 3, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

When mobiks die for Putin the overlord, their families receive a, they call it a death benefit, composing of the most random stuff you could think of, ranging all the way from fur coats to fish bricks (blocks of ice full of frozen fish) to circus tickets. In many cases, it's all just done for photo ops and whatever they get is taken back by the authorities.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Since they lost the technology used to preserve Lenin the soon-re-deceased putin will be commemorated by a a massive fishbloc containing several dozen whalesharks, oar fish and manta rays. The most awe-inspiring monument to a russian visionary leader.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ubik_Lives posted:

Pretty sure China is in active border disputes with nearly every neighbour it has, and has invented a bunch of maritime ones. There may not be many shots fired, but they are definitely using their military to take land and sea. I would imagine they would just keep taking chunks out of Ukraine, and judging how much pushback they are getting to if they should hold it or back off.

More like China is using an eye watering amount of money to support a lovely surface fleet whose military action is 100% comprised of harassing Filipino fishing boats. There's the news about China building/fortifying little islands in the South Pacific as encroachment into Filipino waters, but thats more opportunistic than a planned strategy. From my understanding China's only real military focus is Taiwan, which leads to:

China also very much isn't in active border disputes with nearly every neighbor, because it has 20+ neighbors. Nepal & Butan are big ones obviously, and the aforementioned Filipino harassment, but China isn't doing much with the 'Stans or Vietnam or Laos. You just here about their dickery a lot in the news.

I could see China trying to get heavily involved in Ukraine reconstruction, but it seems incredibly doubtful they're going to provide much military support to either side, although with NK providing artillery to Russia it could be argued that China is still supporting the invasion

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Vampire Panties posted:

I could see China trying to get heavily involved in Ukraine reconstruction, but it seems incredibly doubtful they're going to provide much military support to either side, although with NK providing artillery to Russia it could be argued that China is still supporting the invasion

I doubt China will get into Ukraine reconstruction because the military lend-lease and sweetheart deals with MIC graft all play into eventual leverage for reconstruction, and China hasn't done a thing for Ukraine more than any non-military country(hell, Japan sent some of their innovative low-resource emergency sheltering planners, on top of non-military aid).

Given that China also likes to offer some sketchy contracts with their seemingly good initial offers, it's not gonna fly when an allied and supportive contractor makes a similar offer and they're owed one.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, I was exaggerating with the number of neighbours it has disputes with, but there’s enough that we can infer how they would act if they were in Russia’s position. They lay a claim to the area, build up forces in the region, then just take a section of it and see if they get away with it. Sometimes they can, but sometimes like with India, they get pushback. They aren’t really big on the idea of ceding territory they believe belongs to them.

This is based on the assumption that when we talk about how China would act if they were in Russia’s shoes, they have inherited the same motivating factors.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

zone posted:

When mobiks die for Putin the overlord, their families receive a, they call it a death benefit, composing of the most random stuff you could think of, ranging all the way from fur coats to fish bricks (blocks of ice full of frozen fish) to circus tickets. In many cases, it's all just done for photo ops and whatever they get is taken back by the authorities.

The fish bricks weren't a death benefit, they were an enlistment bonus in Sakhalin.

the Moscow Times posted:

The most generous offer to date comes from the Siberian republic of Tuva, which began a blitz of payoffs to every new soldier’s family last week. The rewards being handed out to the relatives of those enlisting include one live sheep, 50 kilograms of flour, two bags of potatoes and cabbage "in the required amount."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vampire Panties posted:

More like China is using an eye watering amount of money to support a lovely surface fleet whose military action is 100% comprised of harassing Filipino fishing boats. There's the news about China building/fortifying little islands in the South Pacific as encroachment into Filipino waters, but thats more opportunistic than a planned strategy. From my understanding China's only real military focus is Taiwan, which leads to:

China also very much isn't in active border disputes with nearly every neighbor, because it has 20+ neighbors. Nepal & Butan are big ones obviously, and the aforementioned Filipino harassment, but China isn't doing much with the 'Stans or Vietnam or Laos. You just here about their dickery a lot in the news.

Uh.... China and India dont get along all that well and it's very possible for wars over water to happen with them in the future.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

China and India have border clashes where a bunch of soldiers from both sides climb a mountain and beat each other with sticks. It's weird af

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Just remembered the bread financing with APR

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

spankmeister posted:

China and India have border clashes where a bunch of soldiers from both sides climb a mountain and beat each other with sticks. It's weird af

WW4 has begun.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

spankmeister posted:

just imagining Garret in a PLA uniform sneaking up on an Indian soldier and smacking him with a blackjack

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

spankmeister posted:

the first time i saw a video of this i thought it was some kind of insane flash mob thing but no, it's genuinely something that indian and chinese soldiers do on the border, they just walk up to each other, awkwardly swing sticks or throw hands for a few seconds, stagger backward, make some loving insane-looking "well come on then" motions, and then everyone walks back to their respective border outposts and smokes cigarettes.

i've seen more intense struggles over a spilled drink at a bar.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC it's high enough up that even a couple of awkward punches is serious effort.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Coolguye posted:

the first time i saw a video of this i thought it was some kind of insane flash mob thing but no, it's genuinely something that indian and chinese soldiers do on the border, they just walk up to each other, awkwardly swing sticks or throw hands for a few seconds, stagger backward, make some loving insane-looking "well come on then" motions, and then everyone walks back to their respective border outposts and smokes cigarettes.

i've seen more intense struggles over a spilled drink at a bar.

There's been like 60+ dead soldiers from those clashes in the last few years. People fall off cliffs and poo poo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Scorchy posted:

There's been like 60+ dead soldiers from those clashes in the last few years. People fall off cliffs and poo poo

yeah that fuckin scans

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Chinese and Indian soldiers are just repressed football fans. They need to release their inner danny dyer.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Jippa posted:

Chinese and Indian soldiers are just repressed football fans. They need to release their inner danny dyer.

Its a stick off init

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China and India have an agreement to not use firearms at their border. Instead they use spiked clubs. The Indians recently developed a taser club.

China's weapon of choice:

India's taser clubs:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

McGavin posted:

China and India have an agreement to not use firearms at their border. Instead they use spiked clubs. The Indians recently developed a taser club.

India's taser clubs:

Dark Souls rear end geopolitics.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has either side deployed elephants?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
China accuses America of meddling after a Republican slips India “a gun”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Has either side deployed elephants?

Now I'm thinking of a war elephant swinging around a loving morningstar in its nose.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Three elephants tied together by their trunks being swung like a morningstar

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In Leonard nimoy voice

You have invented... taser club

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

China accuses America of meddling after a Republican slips India “a gun”

A gun club?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Decrepus posted:

In Leonard nimoy voice

You have invented... taser club

Yeah in hindsight that was a mistake. I'm not going there anymore.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Spazzle posted:

A gun club?

im a big fan of their idiot waltz

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Spazzle posted:

A gun club?
A gun that shoots taser clubs

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC it's high enough up that even a couple of awkward punches is serious effort.

Yeah just visualise a pair of goons trying to fight.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have they stopped lobbing shells at each other? I seem to recall there was some similarly lackadaisical bombardment going on every other Tuesday or so a few years back.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

McGavin posted:

India's taser clubs:

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

That's what the sapper punch gloves are for:

Hopefully they don't get too much wet weather.