Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

its especially strange because the word abuelo comes from colonial spanish, which the vampires are coded as, and not nahuatl, like the sun empire is coded as. the closest equivalent word in nahuatl is colli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gonna make a card called Peepaw's Procession where the guy's name is actually just Peepaw

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

uggy posted:

Butter triumph rips

.... rear end.
Because it stinks!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

kalel posted:

why would you have a character's name be abuelo. literally "grandfather" in spanish. really weird

Because he is old enough as a ghost that he doesn't remember his name, but he remembers he was a grandfather so that's the name he gets.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kalel posted:

I get that part, but it's like english-speaking-babby's first fantasy name for an old spanish person. it would be like if there was a character who is a butcher, and his function in the story is that he's a butcher, and his name was... "Butcher"

did hideo kojima consult on this set's design or what

People don't avoid those names because they are bad names for those characters, they avoid em because something else already has a stronger claim to it they can't or don't want to compete with.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

HootTheOwl posted:

.... rear end.
Because it stinks!

No it’s great it might be the best 2 mana black removal spell for cube

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hideo Kojima presents the new planeswalker: Draw Cardman

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Because one of his only memories is of young children calling him that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Hideo Kojima presents the new planeswalker: Draw Cardman

Easily countered by Island Passturn

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Metal Gear Solid: Planes Walker

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Another refurbish for portal to phyrexia is kinda hot, even if it makes the thing a 1/1.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Someone was having the appropriate amount of fun designing cards.

This card is going to loving rule in UG(x) +1/+1 EDH decks.

"Bounce everyone's creatures but mine, swing unblocked?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

kalel posted:

I get that part, but it's like english-speaking-babby's first fantasy name for an old spanish person. it would be like if there was a character who is a butcher, and his function in the story is that he's a butcher, and his name was... "Butcher"

did hideo kojima consult on this set's design or what

No, he's not called Abuelo because he's old. It's because he's bisexual.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bitter Triumph is uncommon

This set symbol loving sucks. I've never had an issue telling rarity before, but this one has tripped me up several times.

Forget spoiler fatigue, the need to come up with 17 set symbols every set for all the special printings is going to cause real problems for legibility and distinguishability.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i would like to know if it's more readable in paper, but for now it's just a good habit to look at the bottom left to double check rarity

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This set symbol loving sucks. I've never had an issue telling rarity before, but this one has tripped me up several times.

Forget spoiler fatigue, the need to come up with 17 set symbols every set for all the special printings is going to cause real problems for legibility and distinguishability.

There's also the 3 letter set codes, if you're on arena you'll have seen BRO, SIR, SIS, and MOM and MAT within the past year.

Algid fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 3, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, I was swayed by the Doctor Who collab to try the game, in part because I heard the decks were good. And naturally I assumed that since the whole point marketing-wise is to bring in new customers, I figured they'd be a pretty natural jumping on point to learn the game. So I played my first few games today, using the Thirteenth Doctor deck against an acquaintance's Davros/villains deck.

And oh god I was wrong in the most amazing way. I'm actually kind of impressed at the deck's power level once I found how to make it swing, but holy poo poo, is it a weird introduction to start with a deck that literally rewards making your turn as unnecessarily complicated as possible.

I actually won one of those games, and I think I gave myself a headache just trying to process the combos that got me there.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So, I was swayed by the Doctor Who collab to try the game, in part because I heard the decks were good. And naturally I assumed that since the whole point marketing-wise is to bring in new customers, I figured they'd be a pretty natural jumping on point to learn the game. So I played my first few games today, using the Thirteenth Doctor deck against an acquaintance's Davros/villains deck.

And oh god I was wrong in the most amazing way. I'm actually kind of impressed at the deck's power level once I found how to make it swing, but holy poo poo, is it a weird introduction to start with a deck that literally rewards making your turn as unnecessarily complicated as possible.

I actually won one of those games, and I think I gave myself a headache just trying to process the combos that got me there.

I don't keep track of commander stuff, but that's a time counter deck right? Does seem sort of annoying to track, but with the design constraint of having the cards both being flavorful and faithful to the media as well enticing new players because insert_brand_here, I guess they leaned more towards the former.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Magic products for new players which have some degree of synergy and powerful interactions are a much better introduction to the game than something like the Game Night box, where the games get into stalls and last forever.

Plus, the deck isn't rules complex particularly, just book-keeping complex.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Algid posted:

I don't keep track of commander stuff, but that's a time counter deck right? Does seem sort of annoying to track, but with the design constraint of having the cards both being flavorful and faithful to the media as well enticing new players because insert_brand_here, I guess they leaned more towards the former.

The Tenth Doctor deck is primarily time counters, Thirteen is mainly built around a new keyword, Paradox - several cards trigger effects for every time a card is cast from outside the hand. Thirteen herself distributes a +1/+1 counter; some others let you draw cards or do damage. So not only does the deck swing a lot of stuff like Foretell, Cascade and Rebound, it rewards using those basically just for the sake of it, because even if you don't get a stronger benefit from casting the card like that, you proc an additional effect just for doing it.

The Classic Doctors deck, for comparison, is mostly swinging Sagas: it's an entire deck built around watching a TV show and finding out you're watching a multi-part story, which I think is perfect.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 3, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Cleretic posted:

The Classic Doctors deck, for comparison, is mostly swinging Sagas: it's an entire deck built around watching a TV show and finding out you're watching a multi-part story, which I think is perfect.

Past Universes Beyond sets/decks were things I was familiar with, but I’ve never watched Dr.Who. It’s been really neat seeing people react to the cards (and explain the lore a bit) when I’m clueless on the references.

There was a neat bit in the Elder Dragon Social Club game where River Song’s Diary was played, and someone really into the show commented “no spoilers…” then right after that River Song was played, and she had an ability called that. With such an emphasis on time travel, you can play the cards in basically random order and it still tells a weird little story.

Also been basically addicted to Baldur’s Gate 3 lately, and It’s making me want to build around all those characters’ cards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cleretic posted:

The Tenth Doctor deck is primarily time counters, Thirteen is mainly built around a new keyword, Paradox - several cards trigger effects for every time a card is cast from outside the hand. Thirteen herself distributes a +1/+1 counter; some others let you draw cards or do damage. So not only does the deck swing a lot of stuff like Foretell, Cascade and Rebound, it rewards using those basically just for the sake of it, because even if you don't get a stronger benefit from casting the card like that, you proc an additional effect just for doing it.

Are you new to magic in general? It sounds like you're familiar with it but also your first post in the thread is you saying you tried out the game with the crossover decks. Your second post sounds like you're more familiar with the game than you might actually be, so excuse me for asking.

If you're actually really new, I would recommend picking up a starter deck set for dirt cheap off Amazon. There's a few of them, mostly extremely cheap at like 10-20 bucks for two decks, and they also come with codes you can input into the MTG: Arena client to get full copies of said starter decks on there as well for two people if you have a friend who also plays. They're much more simple decks in the Standard game type, rather than the commander game type that the doctor who decks are from, which is much more complicated a format.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Is Indiana jones a swashbuckler?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Invictus posted:

Are you new to magic in general? It sounds like you're familiar with it but also your first post in the thread is you saying you tried out the game with the crossover decks. Your second post sounds like you're more familiar with the game than you might actually be, so excuse me for asking.

If you're actually really new, I would recommend picking up a starter deck set for dirt cheap off Amazon. There's a few of them, mostly extremely cheap at like 10-20 bucks for two decks, and they also come with codes you can input into the MTG: Arena client to get full copies of said starter decks on there as well for two people if you have a friend who also plays. They're much more simple decks in the Standard game type, rather than the commander game type that the doctor who decks are from, which is much more complicated a format.

This is the first time I've actually played the game, but I've been peripherally aware of a lot of it for a while, partially thanks to playing Yu-Gi-Oh and partially thanks to just being friends with nerds.

But I did a fair amount of research beforehand, both to generally know what decks I wanted and how to play it without stopping play to ask basic questions too much. I built myself a quick reference of terms this deck alone was using that I couldn't immediately understand, and it's 24 entries long; this thing is complicated. (Granted, a handful of those are just stuff like 'what's that diamond mana symbol' that I committed to memory pretty quickly.) The Thirteenth Doctor deck absolutely dropped me in the deep end, but it does at least mean I'm not quite working from zero, and was able to see the history of a lot of those mechanics just from how I prepared. So yeah, I know Paradox is new but time counters aren't, stuff like that.

I think I probably will get into playing the game in some other forms at some point, and if so I've kinda got my eye on black or blue decks that have my favorite flavors of control, but I'll probably focus on getting good with this deck first.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cleretic posted:

I think I probably will get into playing the game in some other forms at some point,

Enjoy the kitchen table while it lasts.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

For when you really want to wasteland yourself.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes. He's just kind of grumpy about it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

HootTheOwl posted:

Indiana Jones just whipping a Void Winnower into play.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is a pretty bad Field of Ruin. A map is nowhere near the use of replacing your own land. It still costs mana so it doesn't have the pop of Ghost Quarter to justify going a land down.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

HootTheOwl posted:

thats like double secret Reach because its stuffed inside a million words, so I will DEFINITELY accidentally smash a 1/1 flyer into a creature in draft

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/the-lost-caverns-of-ixalan/card-image-gallery
Is this the new card image gallery? Having to list what product each card is in is weird

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/the-lost-caverns-of-ixalan/card-image-gallery
Is this the new card image gallery? Having to list what product each card is in is weird

Weird but absolutely necessary, being able to filter out alternative treatments and find only cards that are in the set and only in draft boosters makes looking through the standard cards much easier.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Magic products for new players which have some degree of synergy and powerful interactions are a much better introduction to the game than something like the Game Night box, where the games get into stalls and last forever.

Plus, the deck isn't rules complex particularly, just book-keeping complex.

And don't forget how important flavor is. At the end of the day, it wouldn't feel like a Doctor Who product if you weren't doing something weird and needlessly complex that's powerful if you line it up right. People are willing to deal with a lot for the sake of genre emulation.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

I can't wait to see the weird brews people come up with to cascade poo poo into play with this

Training Grounds is in standard, remember

Edit: Ashaya, soul of the wild, Blossoming Tortoise, Training Grounds, Biomancers Familiar and Zirda are in pioneer and would make for a fun time

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

And don't forget how important flavor is. At the end of the day, it wouldn't feel like a Doctor Who product if you weren't doing something weird and needlessly complex that's powerful if you line it up right. People are willing to deal with a lot for the sake of genre emulation.

I am really impressed how well they implemented Doctor Who stuff into the game, actually. I sort of expected it'd just be cameo-filled reskins of 'normal' decks, but they really went above and beyond to make the deck play like it feels like it should. The decks also managing to be good certainly doesn't hurt, either.

It weirdly helps me learn the game, too. The first time I looked at The Foretold Soldier I spent a good few seconds just trying to parse what it was trying to get across, and then I remembered what that guy's whole thing was in the show and it all made sense.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, it helps identify the set only Commander cards since they changed up the numbering this time. Now they're 9- 18.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There was a post on Maro's blog a few weeks ago where someone asked about the complexity of the Dr. Who decks and how that runs counter to their job as a way to get new players in being at cross purposes, and I forget the exact response but basically they've found that the floor for how complicated something can be before turning a new player off is way higher than they expected.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This making it through to the finished set is kind of embarrassing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

drat they printed tech to destroy my artifact deck that only has two basic lands in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This guy is sweet: