Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

explosivo posted:

I'm gathering by the discussion here and the tutorial about it that I should be handbraking a whole lot more in rally races than I have been?

I refuse to handbrake in cars that didn't historically have them :colbert: But even then,

Humbug posted:

I mostly use left foot braking to adjust angle and save the handbrake for the hairpins.

Mainly because I am bad at subtle handbraking, but for hairpins crank and whip it baby

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gotcha, yeah that's generally what I've started doing as well.

Also, as is tradition with EA Sports, hooboy the soundtrack in WRC loving sucks. There's a couple tracks I don't hate but there's no way to tell what the name of the song playing is so I can remove it from the jukebox. :argh:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Kvlt! posted:

does anyone know a good seat or cockpit for tall people? im 6 foot 6 and if the wheel is the right length from my arms my legs are too close to the pedals, and if my legs are correct on the pedals my arms are too far from the wheel

I am 6'2" and have a Playseat Sensation Pro and I don't have the seat all the way back at all and it's pretty comfortable for me. It's not the widest seat though so if you're a goon of bulk, that may be an issue.

I feel like you could make that work for you, although it's not cheap. You could always make like an adapter for the wheel mount out of some plywood (or metal or something) so that you can mount the wheel closer to you than it would normally allow on many rigs, depending on things.

quick edit: thinking about it, the wheel is in the right spot for me partly because I have a direct drive wheel with some QR adapters on it that extend it out from the wheelbase a little ways. I still think it might work but you may need to make some adjustments.

ssb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 3, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:hellyeah:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have been greatly entertained by how much normal road stuff there is this time, there's a sequence in one tarmac rally where you're basically threading the needle between kerbs around multiple roundabouts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty bummed that there doesn't seem to be community livery creations that you can download or share. Kinda feels like this Racenet thing would be a perfect way to browse and download community creations but oh well.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Generally can't get over how much better the tarmac is compared to Dirt Rally 2.0, especially having briefly booted that up troubleshooting my wheel issues. Everyone knew DR2's tarmac was bad, but it's truly stark seeing it much closer to reality. Feel so much more comfortable pushing and having correspondingly butt clenching moments threading the needle along narrow but high speed bits.

explosivo posted:

I'm gathering by the discussion here and the tutorial about it that I should be handbraking a whole lot more in rally races than I have been?

Nah, you're probably going slower if you're using it anywhere but hairpins--and even then usually only acute hairpins. Well, that and when you clearly screw up and need to spin the car in place as much as possible to get back on course/facing the right direction.

Handbrake is still a brake and a hard one at that, you're much better throwing the vehicle's weight around any other way if possible (lift off oversteer, left foot braking, normal braking).

Squiggle posted:

I refuse to handbrake in cars that didn't historically have them :colbert:

I wish this was a realism setting. One that could be set for club stuff as well as applied to AI assuming they really have some logic around the runs actually happening. That latter bit seems doubtful though; running with realistic damage and I can't get through an even super clean stage without it at least saying my exhaust got knocked up while the AI cars are all apparently pristine.

Would kick Group B up yet another notch to not have the handbrake in a panic.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I finally got tired of my old pit, so I just got a SimFab hybrid with the DD kit. I should have time to assemble it this weekend.

The seat position, wheel height, wheel distance, and the pedal distance are adjusted independently, so it might be worth asking your question in their reddit or whatever they have.

E: second part is for the 6'6" poster. Probably should clarify 🙃.

Shine fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 3, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Quick glimpse at the steam discussion for WRC and apparently people think this game's a dumpster fire that looks and feels and controls like poo poo and just go play Dirt 2.0 some more. Lots of complaints about the stutters but honestly after the first run through a track the shader stutters or whatever it is seems to be gone for me and it's largely been running well on my end. Sounds like there's a performance update of some sort coming too according to the devs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ssb posted:

I am 6'2" and have a Playseat Sensation Pro and I don't have the seat all the way back at all and it's pretty comfortable for me. It's not the widest seat though so if you're a goon of bulk, that may be an issue.

I feel like you could make that work for you, although it's not cheap. You could always make like an adapter for the wheel mount out of some plywood (or metal or something) so that you can mount the wheel closer to you than it would normally allow on many rigs, depending on things.

quick edit: thinking about it, the wheel is in the right spot for me partly because I have a direct drive wheel with some QR adapters on it that extend it out from the wheelbase a little ways. I still think it might work but you may need to make some adjustments.

That might def be another option. Im actually very thin, just very tall, (6 foot 6 and 165lbs) so the wideness isnt an issue just the length. I just wish there was a way to test these things out!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I saw one post in the steam forum that reminded me of something, not sure if anyone here is playing on a controller but I thought the driving physics felt somehow off on tarmac. Like the wheel is really quick to snap back to center. Also the car feels completely different in chase cam vs the dash/in car camera. I couldn't tell if the tarmac feeling 'weird' was just me not being used to driving cars with traction in this game or if the driving model really is that different and maybe not as accurate on tarmac? Could also be that it was a new race on new tires on a car I had never driven before. The chase cam feeling weird I just chalked up to it being a different view I'm not used to but someone else mentioned the same thing so I dunno.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

another question: I injured my shoulder recently and need surgery, so no racing for me rn.

I was wondering is there a game or sim where you can be a spotter or something? I'd love to somehow be involved in sim racing because I can only play so much Motorsport Manager and GRID Autosport on Switch

I like oval and endurance racing the most but am open to all types

Also open to other suggestions of things I can do in sim racing that arent driving

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

another question: I injured my shoulder recently and need surgery, so no racing for me rn.

I was wondering is there a game or sim where you can be a spotter or something? I'd love to somehow be involved in sim racing because I can only play so much Motorsport Manager and GRID Autosport on Switch

Also open to other suggestions of things I can do in sim racing that arent driving

People do spotter and crew chief stuff in iRacing, though that still requires a subscription. I remain bitter that B-Spec mode got removed from Gran Turismo though since there really isn't anything else like it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Kvlt! posted:

Discuss simulation value in various subforums on Racedepartment?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Discuss simulation value in various subforums on Racedepartment?

I thought the forums had rules against encouraging self harm.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

njsykora posted:

People do spotter and crew chief stuff in iRacing, though that still requires a subscription. I remain bitter that B-Spec mode got removed from Gran Turismo though since there really isn't anything else like it.

i have an iracing sub, how does one get into that? Is there a way to practice or train for it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

i have an iracing sub, how does one get into that? Is there a way to practice or train for it?

Basically just ask someone if you can be their spotter really, and during endurance races the various Bearpope teams always like having someone to call upcoming traffic and handle pit stop settings so the driver doesn't have to think about those.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

explosivo posted:

Quick glimpse at the steam discussion for WRC and apparently people think this game's a dumpster fire that looks and feels and controls like poo poo and just go play Dirt 2.0 some more.

Hey at least it’s not bitching about pronouns

I’m off to a great start in the Bearpope club championship, I rolled twice and ran into some spectators when another program stole focus in the middle of my run. Racked up like 45 seconds in penalties.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Come join the discord that in either this OP or the iracing thread OP, on one hand we're in a bit of a deadzone for official endurance events until daytona next year, on the other hand bearpope is going to be running 1 or 2 cars in a endurance league and a spotter might be really nice to have. Same with some single driver leagues we run in, having someone to check gaps and position within class or look for damage or whatever could be nice, and its a good community for sim stuff as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

That might def be another option. Im actually very thin, just very tall, (6 foot 6 and 165lbs) so the wideness isnt an issue just the length. I just wish there was a way to test these things out!

All of the real rigs allow you to move the pedal plate and the wheel independent of each other. It's only a problem at the very low end side of things. Even the gt Omega apex stand with rear seat extension allows this although it does have the wheel height and horizontal placement somewhat linked together.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I'm sure there's a fair few stages that contain it somewhere along, but the start of the Poggiola stage in the town on the totally-not-Corsica Rally Mediterraneo owns bones. Event in the career that puts you in the 2017 VW Polo and you feel like an absolute bull in a china shop dancing about the narrow town streets. Exquisite.

explosivo posted:

Quick glimpse at the steam discussion for WRC and apparently people think this game's a dumpster fire that looks and feels and controls like poo poo and just go play Dirt 2.0 some more. Lots of complaints about the stutters but honestly after the first run through a track the shader stutters or whatever it is seems to be gone for me and it's largely been running well on my end. Sounds like there's a performance update of some sort coming too according to the devs.

Was surprised to see the reviews as "Mixed" in Steam. Seemed like selection bias of the people who either had more pronounced issues or felt really obligated to post about them while everyone else was off enjoying the very good game instead of reviewing whining about it.

Kvlt! posted:

The recent release we've been banging on about, EA Sports WRC, is good on controller (based on predecessor games, haven't actually tried) and more sim than arcade. But also might cause shoulder pain as you try to bob and weave with the car even though you don't have to.

bUm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 3, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

All of the real rigs allow you to move the pedal plate and the wheel independent of each other. It's only a problem at the very low end side of things. Even the gt Omega apex stand with rear seat extension allows this although it does have the wheel height and horizontal placement somewhat linked together.

The Sim Lab GT1 Pro and NLR GT Elite series have the flaw of the pedals mounting to the uprights.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:argh:

Woulda had ya if I didn't... take a turn too sharp and roll over about 4 times halfway through the race.

Edit: Wow this racenet thing is actually extremely cool

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Reckoned I'd wait until the last minute to grab the 10% loyalty discount, but it expired before it oughta and now I'm mildly annoyed.

Ah well, gives me time to wait until a patch drops, and by then it might have a 10% discount somewhere on isthereanydeal.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
As a heads up, there is an offer for 3 months WRC (actual live rally) streaming service for finishers of the first stage of the official WRC club.

The rally1 hybrid cars are kicking my rear end. I can't think fast enough to keep up on the technical stuff like Japan.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 3, 2023

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

explosivo posted:

Oh neat, I hadn't seen that

Yep there's where the game lost focus and I casually drifted off track right into the spectators, RIP

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Time to start racing with a trucker knob

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The replays in WRC are great, I find myself watching almost all of them or at least scrub through for some cool looking shots. It never feels as cool behind the wheel as it looks in the replays so I'm always like "Whoa, I did that?".

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does WRC finally include photo mode?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sininu posted:

Does WRC finally include photo mode?
It sure does!

That Kenya Safari rally is.. harrowing. My god is that a bumpy ride.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

explosivo posted:

That Kenya Safari rally is.. harrowing. My god is that a bumpy ride.

drat right. Felt more like survival. Has anyone tried hardcore damage yet?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Humbug posted:

drat right. Felt more like survival. Has anyone tried hardcore damage yet?

Yeah, turned it on immediately starting my career. Haven't encountered the most brutal rallies (e.g. Safari) yet, but you definitely feel it via wear-and-tear; I think I've had maybe 3-5 out of 50+ stages that didn't get some damage even if it's usually exhaust (from going off stage even in smooth spots/called cuts) and bodywork from minor bumps against whatever. Although it seems very car dependent, modern cars seem much more resilient. Any frontend collision more than a very slow/glancing blow will hurt the radiator and then the engine starts damaging from the high temps. Also you will get suspension wonkiness if you catch any of the ditches/drainage canals/drops/high curbs at the edge of stages. And big crashes are pretty much a write-off, but admittedly I've always been pretty OCD about restarting over major crashes... even in DR2 when I'd gotten good enough to beat the hardest AI even with a major incident taking 10+ seconds off the run, it's as much the principle of wanting a clean run even if it was slower. Perhaps that'll change later when having Crew Chief upgrades and a full crew that doesn't suck to repair instead of being a poor JWRC struggling to get by, then maybe destroying the car will be an until-next-service problem instead.

I've been getting on alright with it at 85 difficulty AI and medium event distance*, but definitely lost one rally (got 3rd) over compounding damage I couldn't fix enough of at the service windows. The annoying thing about it is that it seems to have 0 effect on the AI--getting at least minor damage every single stage seems a tad dumber when the next 10-15 AI behind you have 0 damage every stage. Just look at the real WRC, it's not at all uncommon for damage to drop half the WRC guys to running behind WRC2 cars--if you're going to be running high stakes for you, it's very lame it doesn't also reflect high stakes for AI so they're dealing with dropping power output from damaged exhausts too. Climbing a Chilean (I think) mountain while down on power in an already not powerful H2 FWD car is quite a slog**--just floored trying to overcome gravity, not moving fast enough to need to lift.

* Admittedly depends on the event, the JWRC AI seems easy as pie while the one-off loaner car events*** and H2 FWD class the career nudges you into have been very much competitive.

** In related news, I initially left the "auto brake after stage end" assist on max (5) thinking it might help avoid any meaningful damage after crossing the line--a hilarious ramification of this was that a down-on-power H2 FWD literally struggles to overcome the autobraking assist to reach the marshals on some stages, particularly ones with a slight uphill at the end. In one instance it was so bad, I literally became stuck--throttle to the floor and it couldn't overcome the autobrake to reach the marshals and I just had to wait out the like 20 seconds for the game to get bored and punt to the stage end procedure based on time. After that, I opted to turn it down to 0 so now I can blaze into the marshals like they do at the cameraman in real WRC with hard braking right at the point they start thinking "should I get out of the way!?"

*** The one on not-Corsica seemed to have a bug though... made it to stage 5/5 and it had been a dead heat for the lead and think I'd pulled like 0.060 seconds ahead so basically the last stage was all that mattered... got a fairly clean run and was confident I scored the win (turn off timing OSD, find it distracting), the end stage results pops up... and I won it by 2 and a half minutes over a 5 minute stage. Like it ran the entirety of the AI against a different stage--they were all grouped up nicely that far behind.
:thunk:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

explosivo posted:

Holy crap is that cool, they should really be talking more about the analysis stuff they have.

I forgot we had only one day for each rally so I missed Sweden, oops!

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Game is rad, but I just did my first event and the only AI damage was the 2nd place dude apparently having a turbo issue... on the Lancia Fulvia. I didn't play Dirt 2 or any of the previous WRC games, but hopefully they fix it up so the AI isn't nearly invincible. Dirt 1 half the field would normally end up with some kind of issue, even if it was the slower AI anyway 90% of the time.

Edit: spoke too soon, the AI were wrecking themselves plenty from the next race onwards. Still had lots of notes about the AI losing turbo pressure on NA cars though.

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 5, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got a free 3 months of rally.tv code that I probably wouldn't get much use out of so if someone wants to use it it's EAWRC-MYYbUruJ

code:
1. Please go to www.rally.tv/getting-started.
2. Click on “Get started”.
3. Create an account or log in if you already have one.
4. Select “Monthly Pass”.
5. Add promo code, click "Apply".
6. Click on “Start my subscription” and Start Watching!

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

ssb posted:

Sweden

My, uh, run on Sweden in the official club events from Codies didn't go great:

Took 3 separate violent, 4+ tumble barrel roll incidents (due to seemingly random getting caught in deep snow and over it went) to remove all the doors. I did appreciate that I turned down all the volumes except codriver to 70 so I could hear the calls clearly... but with no doors (and possibly no exhaust pipe) the engine was once more louder than the calls. :getin:

Still got mid-high 500's w/ 4 hours left (think they're daily), no idea how many have done it... I wish Codies had told you what percentile out of everyone you were like F1 does. Least was fairly easily figure-out-able if annoying in DR/DR2 because you could hold the scrollbar at the bottom and wiggle back your mouse back and forth for it to keep going and get to the bottom fairly quick to guesstimate... this game seems to have broken scrolling in large events/time trials so it keeps glitching back up the order and is very janky trying to scroll down.

Edit:

explosivo posted:

Got a free 3 months of rally.tv code that I probably wouldn't get much use out of

Do they expire at any point? Because no one will get much use out of them if you have to use them right away... given there's one rally left this year and one next year that would fall before 3 months had passed. :laugh: Guess you can go back and watch older stuff probably though--I'm vaguely curious because I do (not very timely-y) watch the highlight videos Red Bull hosts and they kind of suck, but also I'd never pay the $15/mo or whatever they want when WRC averages like one event per month.

bUm fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 5, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

just wanted to say thanks to whoever suggested the rally game for switch while im injured, surprisingly fun with a controller and scratching that racing itch!

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

just wanted to say thanks to whoever suggested the rally game for switch while im injured, surprisingly fun with a controller and scratching that racing itch!

Did anyone do that? :ohdear: I suggested snagging EA Sports WRC which is the brand new one released this week and is only PC/PS5/Xbox X|S.

Looks like the old KT Racing WRC games are available for switch--they were pretty solid, glad you're having fun!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
There's a hack/mod/workaround whatever you want to call it for the blown out gamma and bloom and stuttering in WRC.
I have no monitor at my rig and virtual theater sucks huge hog so I haven't tested it yet but dudes in my club and others
I've seen say it works pretty well

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bloom-draw-distance-and-stutter-fix.64770/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Thoatse posted:

There's a hack/mod/workaround whatever you want to call it for the blown out gamma and bloom and stuttering in WRC.
I have no monitor at my rig and virtual theater sucks huge hog so I haven't tested it yet but dudes in my club and others
I've seen say it works pretty well

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bloom-draw-distance-and-stutter-fix.64770/

Seemed to help significantly, but not fully stutter free. Didn't use on a rally where gamma was an issue, but sounds promising because it was terrible on some Sweden/Mexico stages to the point it was difficult to even see where the stage was.

If this can fix a good chunk of the problems, it's really pathetic Codies didn't at least drop a hotfix--equally pathetic they haven't dropped a hotfix for Moza wheels which was also just updating an .ini file. Absolutely insane that there's community fixes that Codies could literally push out a 1 kilobyte patch that meaningfully help everyone not finding community fixes.