Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn’t one of the recent movies tease Blade in a post-credits scene? It sounded like they were going to make a PG-13 Blade to tie into the MCU. The issue is also Disney being pushed to take fewer and fewer risks due to massive budgets and, excepting No Way Home, diminishing returns post-Endgame.

lol the Eternals ending

that had knight guy open a sword case

and then you hear Blade's voice

but see no Blade because he's just out of frame laughing too

you know it's Blade

if you read the supplemental materials

meaning media rags telling you "that was Blade"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i don't even think Taylor Swift really has more of a "personality cult" than any other famous musician. like she needs at least one incredibly infamous murderer-slash-cult-leader to claim inspiration from her works before she can even match, say, The Beatles

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Argus Zant posted:

reminds me of stories that have come out about the spider-man musical and how much of a hot mess it was behind the scenes. Apparently the lead writer felt that the story should be focused on their original-character-do-not-steal, and that Spider-Man should just sort of have more of a supporting role in the musical called “Spider-Man: Subtitle” and which had been pitched to the public as “the Spider-Man musical”

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

lol the Eternals ending

that had knight guy open a sword case

and then you hear Blade's voice

but see no Blade because he's just out of frame laughing too

you know it's Blade

if you read the supplemental materials

meaning media rags telling you "that was Blade"

I love movies being a springboard for supplemental franchise content on external media platforms

More slop for the trough

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Quantumania was Disney taking a big dump on the winning Ant-Man formula and turning it into cut-rate Phantom Menace, even the best effects wouldn't have made it good.

So Nic Cage filmed a Superman scene where he fought a giant spider and sadly viewed the destruction of a universe but then The Flash CGIed his head onto a different scene instead (I've not seen The Flash yet so I don't know what he did)

quote:

Although the cameo was very CGI in its appearance, it was nevertheless shot in person, with Cage appearing on set adorned in the Superman costume. And while it may have eventually differed from what he shot, Cage insisted it was not AI.

“I don’t think it was [created by] AI,” he said. “I know Tim [Burton] is upset about AI, as I am. It was CGI, OK, so that they could de-age me, and I’m fighting a spider. I didn’t do any of that, so I don’t know what happened there… But I get where Tim’s coming from. I know what he means. I would be very unhappy if people were taking my art… and appropriating them. I get it. I mean, I’m with him in that regard. AI is a nightmare to me. It’s inhumane. You can’t get more inhumane than artificial intelligence.”

“But I don’t think it [was] AI [in The Flash],” he added. “I just think that they did something with it, and again, it’s out of my control. I literally went to shoot a scene for maybe an hour in the suit, looking at the destruction of a universe and trying to convey the feelings of loss and sadness and terror in my eyes. That’s all I did.”

Despite the scene eventually leaning on CGI, presumably to add in the giant spider, Cage did praise director Andy Muschietti’s attention to detail when it came to the iconic suit. “They did put a lot of time into building the suit,” said Cage. “I think [Andy] is a terrific director, he is a great guy and a great director, and I loved his two It movies.”

However, he was still surprised to see the shot go further than he had filmed. “What I was supposed to do was literally just be standing in an alternate dimension, if you will, and witnessing the destruction of the universe,” he said. “Kal-El was bearing witness [to] the end of a universe, and you can imagine with that short amount of time that I had, what that would mean in terms of what I can convey. I had no dialogue [so had to] convey with my eyes the emotion. So that’s what I did. I was on set for maybe three hours.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/nicolas-cage-criticises-superman-cameo-in-the-flash-i-did-not-do-that

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think you misread the quote. He didn't shoot the scene with the Spider. He was basically there for a few hours in the suit staring at that destruction footage. They then constructed a CG scene of him fighting a spider (this is a reference to the unmade Cage Superman movie) and then he looks at poo poo blowing up.

It was the spider stuff he had no idea about.

The Flash movie sucked, but the story coming out of that interview is a big nothing burger.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Ah that makes more sense. I still stand by my decision to not watch The Flash until it randomly is on cable one day when I'm at a hotel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Flash movie sucked, but the story coming out of that interview is a big nothing burger.

The "big" story is that they had Cage actually on set, like, physically present. You wouldn't have guessed that from watching the movie.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

The "big" story is that they had Cage actually on set, like, physically present. You wouldn't have guessed that from watching the movie.

Yeah I would have said that was 100% CGI Cage when I saw it.

Man, The Flash was a lovely movie.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Asking AI to create a movie hellscape

https://rectifygaming.com/gears-of-war-movie-zack-snyder/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

But could Snyder truly give us the steroid monsters of Gears of War? How much more beef could you slap onto a person?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Have the Jim Henson workshop create animatronic muscle suits

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hans and Franz the gritty reboot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think something like this could be so weird and nauseating it might flip back into Speed Racer awesomeness

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Why would you want Snyder to adapt something that has zero women in it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's not true! There's the steroid monster queen and uh, that one intelligence officer, and the other person who ended up in Gears 3 and wasn't Ice-T

And I guess whoever's in 4 onward but no one gives a poo poo about those games

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

just have him genderswap it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

That's not true! There's the steroid monster queen and uh, that one intelligence officer, and the other person who ended up in Gears 3 and wasn't Ice-T

And I guess whoever's in 4 onward but no one gives a poo poo about those games

There's Dom's wife who gets turned into like a hucow.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gears of War already look like a Snyder movie. Especially if Bautista is the main star.

Tars Tarkas posted:

So Nic Cage filmed a Superman scene where he fought a giant spider and sadly viewed the destruction of a universe but then The Flash CGIed his head onto a different scene instead (I've not seen The Flash yet so I don't know what he did)

https://www.ign.com/articles/nicolas-cage-criticises-superman-cameo-in-the-flash-i-did-not-do-that

Literally this comic.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cghl5-7OlhM/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I haven't seen flash but Jesus Christ this looks bad

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m a little amused that it finally got to be on the big screen after all these years. The grainy photo of Cage in the costume was pretty ubiquitous online 15ish years ago. Before better quality ones came out people were claiming it was actually just Cage’s head Photoshopped onto an action figure. Not amused enough to actually watch the movie though.

The whole movie seems like they were grasping at anything in the hopes that someone would care.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ah that makes more sense. I still stand by my decision to not watch The Flash until it randomly is on cable one day when I'm at a hotel

I’d rather not watch Ezra’s stupid blue steel face personally

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The nic cage bit is strange but it's not as bad as them having the guy who was b&w TV superman on, who infamously committed suicide because being superman became a death knell to his career

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The nic cage bit is strange but it's not as bad as them having the guy who was b&w TV superman on, who infamously committed suicide because being superman became a death knell to his career

There's also Jay Garrick who, despite having multiple actors play him in live action, was just some random guy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Gears of War already look like a Snyder movie. Especially if Bautista is the main star.
he's doing a Gears of war movie? Ah that sucks. Maybe I'm wrong, but from the little I've seen of Gears of War it's just generic over the top sci-fi action shooter stuff. Seems boring as hell. Dude was legit great in BladeRunner 2049 and Glass Onion, hope he does go back to you know better movies/interesting roles.

But whatever, dudes probably getting a good pay check and I can imagine that sort of movie could be fun to act in, so good for him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

There's also Jay Garrick who, despite having multiple actors play him in live action, was just some random guy.

They got a bunch of different Supermen but didn't include anyone who previously played Flash, including from the super popular television series that just recently ended and had the DCU Flash appear on it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dr_rat posted:

he's doing a Gears of war movie? Ah that sucks. Maybe I'm wrong, but from the little I've seen of Gears of War it's just generic over the top sci-fi action shooter stuff. Seems boring as hell. Dude was legit great in BladeRunner 2049 and Glass Onion, hope he does go back to you know better movies/interesting roles.

But whatever, dudes probably getting a good pay check and I can imagine that sort of movie could be fun to act in, so good for him.

From what I gather, the creator of Gears expressed interest in Snyder directing a possible future adaptation and people are fan casting Bautista since he’s also expressed interest in the franchise in the past. Nothing has been announced officially.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

just have him genderswap it

Yessss, get the Hammerzons from ZS' Justice League.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Gender flipped Gears of War is just Sucker Punch

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My father maintains to this day that it was a mob hit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FlamingLiberal posted:

My total guess, but supported by how other streaming services have worked, is that they cheaped out on writers and nobody was paying attention to what those people were doing until it was almost too late.

On Paramount Plus, for some of their new Trek shows, the writers on some episodes have like 1-2 minor writing credits and then are writing for a major IP. Predictably that tends to not go well.

It's been a problem with adaptations and franchises for a while that it seems like you keep ending up with failkid writers who can't get their own original and amazing stories picked up so they slap a well known IP on them and then blame nerd rage for when people don't give them the praise they deserve.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been a problem with adaptations and franchises for a while that it seems like you keep ending up with failkid writers who can't get their own original and amazing stories picked up so they slap a well known IP on them and then blame nerd rage for when people don't give them the praise they deserve.

A lot of them seem to have disdain for the source material too since it gets in the way of their totally awesome original story and will brag about not actually looking at the original.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Thr incredibly original and compelling Gears of War IP: “what if aliens came like from the ground man instead of the sky”?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Remulak posted:

Thr incredibly original and compelling Gears of War IP: “what if aliens came like from the ground man instead of the sky”?

I think it's kind of funny, i think it's kind of sad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked sniping and then reloading

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

CelticPredator posted:

I liked sniping and then reloading

Was it Gears 2 that had the laser scope that visibly went from flaccid to erect? That was classy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, there was an Eternals and an Immortals?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, there was an Eternals and an Immortals?

The Tarsem Singh Immortals was great.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hasturtium posted:

Was it Gears 2 that had the laser scope that visibly went from flaccid to erect? That was classy.

That's in all of them, the Torque Bow.

I enjoy the games, story is a barebones

Military Industrial Complex does something bad
PC's work to clean up the mess while civilians pay the price
MIC gets replaced with new leaders that swear they're honest
Go to 10

The campaigns are brisk 6- 7 hours of fun set pieces and the special PVE multi-player is a good time for a few hours.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Remulak posted:

lol wasn't that one of the Speilberg/Cruise War of the Worlds concepts at one point, like the Martians buried the weapons millions of years ago?