Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Went into Hermann Miller a couple weeks ago and added an Embody and an Aeron to my customer profile's online cart (still deciding). The saleswoman says I'll get an email sometime in November when the sale triggers so I can check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I paid $1365 with shipping back in May. No way I’d pay that for a used one. It looks like the base price has gone up $100 since then.

If you have a dealer nearby you can always go in and get a quote with no commitment. It should be quite a bit cheaper than the list price if they aren’t scummy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Closest dealer is apparently like five hours away, but I also think they're some kind of corporate design firm thing, not some office furniture store.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

RJWaters2 posted:

Went into Hermann Miller a couple weeks ago and added an Embody and an Aeron to my customer profile's online cart (still deciding). The saleswoman says I'll get an email sometime in November when the sale triggers so I can check out.
do not buy a new aeron. the embody is a vast and monumental improvement.

Jiro posted:

If I'm usually sitting up straight with no tilt I really don't need that neck support, it's when I recline back that I start to miss it.

But I appreciate being more specific on why it's not necessarily a decent deal. How often does their website do a sale or promotion?
they didn’t forget to put in a headrest. it is omitted on purpose. the whole point of the $1300 chair is the ergonomic design. an aliexpress headrest defeats the purpose.

there should be another “semi-annual sale” in november

e: also do not pay $1300 for a “refurb” embody from anybody, but especially those guys in the video. first, that is too expensive when a new one isn’t that much more.

second, i’m suspicious of anyone who claims to have a steady supply of “refurbished” embody chairs. there just aren’t that many used embodys on the market. the chairs are modular, and HM will replace anything that is broken on an in-warranty chair (which is still basically all of them). it is so tough to get spare parts if you aren’t a HM tech that i don’t know if a third party could even “refurbish” a used embody.

could be that those chairs are just fakes. i don’t know if there are any confirmed knockoffs out there, but with HM going after the gamer market and all the chinese headrests coming out lately, the odds aren’t zero. certainly wouldn’t be the first!

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 24, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I know everyone says the Embody is better than the Aeron, and I’m sure it is for many, even most, but I could just never got along with it. My Aeron Size C has been great for 2 months and while I haven’t had any marathon gaming sessions, I don’t find myself massaging my trapezius muscles like I did with my Staples Hykken.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Josh Lyman posted:

I know everyone says the Embody is better than the Aeron, and I’m sure it is for many, even most, but I could just never got along with it. My Aeron Size C has been great for 2 months and while I haven’t had any marathon gaming sessions, I don’t find myself massaging my trapezius muscles like I did with my Staples Hykken.

Sure, a Honda car is better than a huffy bike, but it isn't better than a Mercedes.

The embody is the Mercedes

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone here had any experiences with the Mavix M9 or the Hinomi H1 Pro Ergonomic?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I like my headrest on my Embody for cat naps while working. Also I am taller so maybe it’s different for yall short kings

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jiro posted:

If I'm usually sitting up straight with no tilt I really don't need that neck support, it's when I recline back that I start to miss it.

Even when I recline in the embody I don't feel like I need a headrest. The best case I can see for buying a combo (rather than buying e.g. an Atlas Headrest later if necessary) would be for color matching, but it should be possible to buy a chair in a "safe" color -- and it looks like atlas sell their headrests in a variety of colors too. Hell, they even have it in the stone medley color that I bought my chair in.

Edit: ^^ 6'4" here :shrug: maybe I'm just used to headrests being too short anyway

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah I'm 6'0, headrests and good neck support cradling are nice things.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Sure, a Honda car is better than a huffy bike, but it isn't better than a Mercedes.

The embody is the Mercedes
I would say Embody vs Aeron is more like Camry vs Accord. More people may prefer the Camry but for some (me) the Accord just works better. (Ironic since I generally prefer Toyota to Honda).

Josh Lyman posted:

Over the past week, I've spent about an hour each in Aerons and Embodys. They felt similar in terms of comfort but there are a few things I prefer about the Aeron:
-It's been around for a while so labor and parts seem cheaper (could be wrong about this)
-I prefer the arm adjustments on the Aeron, notably the ability to go forward/backward
-The Aeron has a wider back at the top which feels better if I'm leaning back, lounging in the chair and watching something on my computer
-But the big thing is the mesh. Even sitting in an Embody for 15 min, I can feel my butt and back warming up

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm a few days into owning an Embody.

Any advice for adjusting the back? I'm having a hard time finding a setting that feels comfortable.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nostalgamus posted:

Any advice for adjusting the back? I'm having a hard time finding a setting that feels comfortable.

You have to sit up straight and make sure your lumbar is actually up against the lumbar support. As a former slouch it took a few weeks for me to feel comfortable because I had to learn to sit in the chair the right way and actually let it support me.

This may not be your exact issue but keep it in mind.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jiro posted:

Yeah I'm 6'0, headrests and good neck support cradling are nice things.
it’s okay to be short, but you shouldn’t be leaning that far back. the chair lacks a headrest for a reason.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nostalgamus posted:

I was under the impression that you're supposed to have the back in an upright position and all the knobs be set on their default setting and you sit, from there adjust the back and the other knob to what feels most comfortable to you.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
There’s one knob that controls curvature and another that controls resistance for leaning back. Adjust the curvature to your liking first with the back locked imo. Then adjust resistance to make it comfortable to lean back at various angles with the back unlocked.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

brainwrinkle posted:

There’s one knob that controls curvature and another that controls resistance for leaning back. Adjust the curvature to your liking first with the back locked imo. Then adjust resistance to make it comfortable to lean back at various angles with the back unlocked.

Then roll up and unroll the seat fifty times because what chair has a seat that rolls up and is still comfy

It’s a fun novelty and I’m a child

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
With the Embody, I owned it for like 6 months before I realized the back was able to lock into various positions. This is mostly because I didn't need it; once I set the leanback tension adjustment to where it naturally stopped me at a comfortable angle, I just sorta stopped looking for adjustment levers haha

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has anyone had any experience with the Haworth Fern? Build quality, with and or without the lumbar add-on etc etc...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i have one, finding it much more comfortable than the leap (due to the breathable back) and aeron (due to being more flexible and forgiving) i tried previously

feels solid, overall it's very similar to the leap in design and construction aside from the mesh back

i have the version without the extra aggressive lumbar support and it works for me but YMMV

the main compromise is that the forward tilt implementation is half assed, only the seat tips forward, it doesn't bring the back with it like the aeron does

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nice! I never really cared for seats tipping forward so that's okay. What sort of material did you use on yours? That digital knit does look comfortable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mine has the standard mesh back, i assume the digital knit version will trap more heat for better or worse depending on your climate

the mesh is comfortable, it's not rigid like the aeron, it's a softer material supported by a flexible plastic frame kind of like a poor man's embody

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 28, 2023

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

The digital knit is very comfortable and is pretty breathable. It seems pretty comparable to a mesh back for dispersing heat. The backrest is the best part of the chair.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:siren: Haworth is having a 20% off sale on their chairs :siren:

https://store.haworth.com/collections/performance-seating

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 2, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jiro posted:

:siren: Haworth is having a 20% off sale on their chairs :siren:

https://store.haworth.com/collections/performance-seating

:siren: Herman Miller went on sale as well 25% off Embodys :siren:

https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-sale?lang=en_US

I ended up pulling the trigger and buying a Fern yesterday in black with the lumbar support and digital knit. I'm very curious to see how it will feel for 8+ hours.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jiro posted:

:siren: Herman Miller went on sale as well 25% off Embodys :siren:

https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-sale?lang=en_US

I ended up pulling the trigger and buying a Fern yesterday in black with the lumbar support and digital knit. I'm very curious to see how it will feel for 8+ hours.
hell yeah embody crew

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Time to see if the hype is real, 1700 with tax and shipping on an Embody

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Got notified that I'm getting my Fern on Monday :dance:

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Anybody know how to get free shipping with this sale?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

RJWaters2 posted:

Time to see if the hype is real, 1700 with tax and shipping on an Embody
:sickos:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nohearum posted:

Anybody know how to get free shipping with this sale?

Which sale? Fern had free shipping, Embody no idea.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Jiro posted:

Which sale? Fern had free shipping, Embody no idea.

Oops embody

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They charge shipping too? What's the difference between the regular embody and the logitech version that makes it cheaper?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

brand engager posted:

They charge shipping too? What's the difference between the regular embody and the logitech version that makes it cheaper?

https://youtu.be/lKxTZM33HXE?si=fN3viQxkCh2-O1ep

That vid will explain it better than I can as far as feature differences. But I still have no idea why the regular embody is more expensive than the "gaming" one.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My best guess is that most of their regular Embody sales are to business/enterprise customers who shrug at slightly higher pricing because it's someone else's money, while gamers are more price conscious and they're competing against the DX Racer du jour in that market. Comedy option is that they're still trying to clean out old stock from their initial production run years later.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The logitech chair comes in one color combination while there’s like 20 colors/fabrics you can pick for each option with the regular. Usually means the Logitech one ships out way faster too.

The Logitech blue might be too bright with office lighting (like in that thumbnail) but it looks nice in more natural or home lighting.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
It looks like the Logitech embody comes in an all black color now with some white accents on the wheels. I decided to order that one today. Figure I can swap the wheels if they are too ugly in my office.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just don't look down

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Nohearum posted:

It looks like the Logitech embody comes in an all black color now with some white accents on the wheels. I decided to order that one today. Figure I can swap the wheels if they are too ugly in my office.

It comes in a few different colors, black was always available. My wife had her work order the Galaxy color one since she liked mine so much. Seems silly not to order the Logitech one for the discounted rate especially since black is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

My 4'10" partner was complaining about how her Secret Lab was hurting her butt and back. I told her to try my Embody but she didn't think it would be any difference. She sat in it for exactly 30 seconds, and then ordered a Sayl.