Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

Must be nice having a government that gives you free annual COVID vaccines...

*clamps pincers on Mola Yam and Snowglobe of Doom and drags them back into the bucket*

We get free shots but the government won't give paxlovid to anyone who isn't >70 unless you're immunocompromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i was just in that situation. the landlords handed the boomer city inspector a mask and he went "oh, i don't want to uh my uh" while sort of gesturing at his chin and short beard. he enters people's living areas for a living and this is apparently how he treated it the whole pandemic. I told him I wasn't letting him into my living area otherwise and so he said "that's ok, i'll stand on the porch while they press the fire alarms for me". he chose flat out not doing any inspecting rather than to don a tiny piece of attire for 20 seconds, god forbid not showing contempt for keeping my living space the way I wanted it

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
nobody wants to (do their jobs) anymore

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
speaking of, I started to fill out the baseline survey for the Test2Treat site because hell why not

the fourth household demographics question is "How many people live in your household with you?" (options for 0-9 or more)

If you say any number of people, the fifth household demographics question is "Think of other people who live with you. How many of them are under 18?" (options for 1-9 or more). there is no zero option. for you know. couples? Of any sort.

amateur hour lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1720245966345801984?s=46

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i saw that follow up the research study test2treat wants to pay people to join was from the Scripps institute and noped out because famous MKUltra/bioweapon front

i'll just take the pax, thanks

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

maxwellhill posted:

i was just in that situation. the landlords handed the boomer city inspector a mask and he went "oh, i don't want to uh my uh" while sort of gesturing at his chin and short beard. he enters people's living areas for a living and this is apparently how he treated it the whole pandemic. I told him I wasn't letting him into my living area otherwise and so he said "that's ok, i'll stand on the porch while they press the fire alarms for me". he chose flat out not doing any inspecting rather than to don a tiny piece of attire for 20 seconds, god forbid not showing contempt for keeping my living space the way I wanted it

I posted about this upthread or in the old thread but my last apartment needed a mold inspection. The inspector who did the job claimed he had an exemption. I would have thought mold inspectors would be cool with wearing PPE but I guess I'm wrong. I told him he wasn't coming in without a mask and he begrudgingly wore the Aura I gave him. Wtf?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I booked an exterminator about 6 months ago. When I made the appointment on the phone they said no problem, yeah, he can wear a mask. Then the guy showed up, had no idea about the masks. When I asked him to wear the N95 he said he normally only wears it when he works with chemicals blah blah blah. He put on the mask I gave him but made a huge show of struggling to breathe, pinching and lifting it off his face every few minutes and huffing and puffing. Like if breathing is so difficult for you right now, try getting covid bitch.

I had him come by a few more times but only to do the exterior. 99% of people are loving idiots and working around their bullshit is just the cost of getting anything done these days. Respect to those who simply turn people away at the door for refusing to mask.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DickParasite posted:

I posted about this upthread or in the old thread but my last apartment needed a mold inspection. The inspector who did the job claimed he had an exemption. I would have thought mold inspectors would be cool with wearing PPE but I guess I'm wrong. I told him he wasn't coming in without a mask and he begrudgingly wore the Aura I gave him. Wtf?

If anyone tries that on me I'll tell them that I have an exemption exemption, and my doctor advised me to avoid mask exempt people. Sorry, doctor's orders. :v:

I had an argument with a guy 2 or 3 years ago when Melbourne had a mask mandate, his big show-stopper argument was "Masks don't even work! I should know, I'm an asbestos inspector!" :doh:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Stay Together for the Kid (Who I Disabled)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

My neighbor told me that respiratory pathogens keep eating his nurses so I asked how many nurses he has and he said he just goes to the global south and gets new nurses afterwards so I said it sounds like he’s just feeding nurses to respiratory pathogens and then his daughter started crying.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

what vaccines are available in aus at the moment?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

brap posted:

Like if breathing is so difficult for you right now, try getting covid bitch.

I mean. He probably has! Quite possibly more than once! At this point to not have gotten it you’re either gobstoppingly lucky, a mutant, or paranoid devotee to PPE.

I don’t try to police masking on people coming in to do housework at my place, I just crank up the filtration and open up windows and greet them at the door with my good PPE and keep it on for a while after they leave. Sometimes they ask if they should mask up for me though and it’s really sweet of them.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Masks don't even work! I should know, I'm an asbestos inspector!" :doh:

Lmao

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

DominoKitten posted:

I mean. He probably has! Quite possibly more than once! At this point to not have gotten it you’re either gobstoppingly lucky, a mutant, or paranoid devotee to PPE.

I don’t try to police masking on people coming in to do housework at my place, I just crank up the filtration and open up windows and greet them at the door with my good PPE and keep it on for a while after they leave. Sometimes they ask if they should mask up for me though and it’s really sweet of them.

Yup, windows are open and if I’m in an Aura people usually just volunteer to put one on, never seemed like a big deal.

Maybe we’re just lucky.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I assume it varies a lot by location, too. Seattle is still pretty masky. It’s a small minority, and most people doing it are just wearing surgicals or fabric, but I’m hardly ever the only one doing it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend just posted on social media "Hey did anyone else catch covid and then feel really tired afterwards? I'm feeling way worse than after my previous round of covid" and I infodumped a bunch of stuff about long covid and the need to take it easy for at least 6 weeks etc etc

How the heck is anyone not aware of long covid at this point, 3.9 years into the pandemic? Especially someone on my socials 'cos I know for a fact I've been posting about long covid for several years already

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How the heck is anyone not aware of long covid at this point, 3.9 years into the pandemic? Especially someone on my socials 'cos I know for a fact I've been posting about long covid for several years already

terrible way to find out your friends don’t read any of your Covid posts

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

The official policy of the most progressive president since FDR is that it's your fault if you die lol.
i lol every time.

So my stand-up comics timeline on Twitter is hilarious. All these comics have covid for some reason?? Never mind all the live events they did maskless two days ago :iiam:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

New Found Power posted:

Financial journalists publish a book trashing the covid response, promoted with an excerpt about how lockdowns were a bad idea and didn't even work, actually: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/covid-lockdowns-big-fail-joe-nocera-bethany-mclean-book-excerpt.html

Featuring guest appearances from many thread favourites!

quote:

Michael Osterholm, the prominent epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota, also doesn’t think lockdowns did any good. “There is actually no role for lockdowns,” he says. “Look at what happened in China. They locked down for years, and when they finally relaxed that effort, they had a million deaths in two weeks.” As for flattening the curve, “that’s not a real lockdown,” Osterholm says. “You’re just reducing contact for a few weeks to help the hospitals.”

Osterholm‘s mind is so open on this issue that his brain has plumb fallen out.

Speaking a few weeks ago,

Osterholm posted:

There's been a lot of speculation about why the Yamagata lineage has seemingly disappeared. Some believe that it was driven extinct due to the non-pharmaceutical interventions implemented during the first few years of the pandemic, including masking and social distancing. Although, as you've heard me say time and time again, I don't think non-pharmaceutical interventions had much impact on almost anything. It surely didn't on COVID. Look at how widespread transmission was during those three years. So I don't think that's it.

He’s so on tilt about government mandated (?) lockdowns (?) that he’s lost sight of the world that is plainly visible with his own two eyes.

If the actions taken by people within society had no impact on disease transmission why did the entire world did not look like Italy and New York City in the spring of 2020?

To some degree he has weasel room to say “it wasn’t government edicts; it was personal health decisions [motivated out of justified fear]”, but for the purposes of flu suppression, it doesn’t actually matter whether behavioral changes trickled down from on high or percolated up from the streets. The effect is what is is.

I interrupted his monologue, and we will now continue with how he explains the flu, poorly.

quote:

Now, the one area that we do think that could have played a role is what we call viral interference. I've talked about that before here, where when a dominant pandemic virus takes over, even if it's not in the same family of viruses as what might otherwise be seen like influenza, it can surely have a major impact on the prevalence of that virus in that community. And this is why we've seen during the past four years, and particularly during the peaks of the surge activity with COVID, almost a total absence of influenza in humans across the board. So at this point, I can't explain what's happening.

“Viral interference” is a total crackpot hypothesis. People can wave their hands on CNN and charm the public with it, but it doesn’t have scientific foundation.

I can tell you why influenza prevalence cratered when COVID prevalence was high: people were taking measures to avoid getting COVID, which is literally the fastest spreading disease in known history. Measures that are only semi‐effective against COVID absolutely crush a weakling like the flu. It’s like a general in the Great War wondering why fewer people die from rifle fire when artillery bombardments are ongoing. They’re taking cover, dumbass.

Osterholm makes a less consequential, unambiguous factual error in the episode.

quote:

As I mentioned earlier in the episode, the Pfizer, Moderna, COVID vaccines use viral mRNA to elicit an immune response. I think we all pretty well know that this approach differs from other vaccines, which historically rely on inactivated or vector viruses to introduce your body to the antigen that you are being protected against.

It is not true that historically we rely on viral vector vaccines. The first public deployment of them was in 2019, against Ebola. They’re drat near as new as mRNA vaccines.

Finally, Osterholm mentions that his distinguished colleagues support the prime+boost strategy with the Kraken vaccine.

quote:

As for the rest of the population, we don't have much data as to which of the three vaccines will be most effective and or provide the longest lasting immunity. I will tell you, however, amongst many of my colleagues who are very, very smart on this topic in terms of immunologic response, actually have sought out, first an mRNA vaccine dose and then follow on with a Novavax vaccine dose because of what it does to expand the immune response. Now, this is not an official recommendation. I don't want anybody to go and say, well, why did the ACIP not say this? I'm merely sharing with you what many of my colleagues have said.

As I said in September,

Platystemon posted:

I’m holding out for a Novavax booster… as part of my prime–boost regimen started earlier this month with Spikevax Kraken. :evilbuddy:

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:52 on Nov 3, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Steve Yun posted:

terrible way to find out your friends don’t read any of your Covid posts

This is COMPLETELY ruining all my "I told you so"s

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It definitely feels like there's a heightening of fascism while the empire turns around and starts eating itself alive, but if it's any small comfort that just means our experiences are getting normalized to the mean (so to speak)

[Pestilence] Normalized to the mean

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I'm looking at dates for a re-scheduled Moth Juicing. I take a monthly monoclonal antibody medication (Aimovig, for migraines). Should I space those out, or can I get both on the same day?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'm looking at dates for a re-scheduled Moth Juicing. I take a monthly monoclonal antibody medication (Aimovig, for migraines). Should I space those out, or can I get both on the same day?

what does your Migraine Doctor say?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my coworker with the beef stew-induced cough cannot climb two flights of stairs without losing the ability to speak comfortably.

gotta lay off that beef stew my man.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

itis for months

also itis cough

very common things that have always existed

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what does your Migraine Doctor say?

Why should I have to call a doctor when I have goons?

Also, I didn't think of that. M'bad.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my coworker with the beef stew-induced cough cannot climb two flights of stairs without losing the ability to speak comfortably.

gotta lay off that beef stew my man.

gently caress no. you've gotta live your best life!!!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just curious, has anyone gotten neck gland / node swelling and pain on one side within the few days after getting vaccinated? Novavax, fwiw

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Nov 3, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
No swelling of anything from my Novavax, but I did have arm pain.l

In other news, Bona Fide Masks has another 15% off through Nov. 30th: BFM15

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Just curious, has anyone gotten neck gland / node swelling and pain on one side within the few days after getting vaccinated? Novavax, fwiw

There has been some reports and goons who did got their lymph nodes getting all swollen with the mRna vaccine with their second/third shots. It should subdue within a few days

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

The lymph nodes in my left armpit were very sore for a few days after every shot (both Moderna and Novavax).

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Hey goons apologize if this has already been posted but I’ve reduced my thread reading time, have the life expectancy figures for 2022 come out yet?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Cretin90 posted:

Hey goons apologize if this has already been posted but I’ve reduced my thread reading time, have the life expectancy figures for 2022 come out yet?

No

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cretin90 posted:

nope!

also looks like the special report that the NVSS published with provisional figures for 2020 and 2021, one year delayed, is no longer being published!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

nope!

also looks like the special report that the NVSS published with provisional figures for 2020 and 2021, one year delayed, is no longer being published!

lol

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
covid is mild and everyone will live forever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

if we had a functional Fourth Estate they'd be going apeshit about the government just hiding numbers it deems inconvenient. lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

if we had a functional Fourth Estate they'd be going apeshit about the government just hiding numbers it deems inconvenient. lol

They'll start caring again on January 21, 2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Indoor Dying posted:

covid is mild and everyone will live forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCWfQN1jtjY