Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol you'd think they'd be getting fired from their jobs at a loving high-end law school for such an egregious failure of judgement but they're probably just getting a fuckin book deal from the school's publishing house about how hard it was to learn their special perfect savior of a failson is an unrepentant felon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

it could be related to specific acts not covered in this trial. although considering his now-prior conviction i wouldn't be surprised if they drop it just to streamline the case somewhat

e: to expand a bit — he's already going to prison, for that, for multiple decades (if not over a century), there's little point to piling on more years he couldn't possibly serve unless he's become immortal somehow. basically from a judicial point of view a conviction on the other charges would have at least some significance in setting precedent, but unless there is some novel aspect to the securities violations charges not covered by his conviction in this trial, yet another doesn't add much to anything

Right, a lot of them do duplicate. Is it ever worth trying him for them anyway to set some sort of basic precedence?

Trial He was found gulty:

Convicted of: wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud against FTX customers and against Alameda Research lenders, conspiracy to commit securities fraud and conspiracy to commit commodities fraud against FTX investors, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

New trial:
Bribery conspiracy, bank fraud conspiracy, derivatives fraud, securities fraud, and conspiracy to operate an unlicensed money transmitting business are the charges for the second trial

So +Bribery, bank fraud, derivatives, money transmittal, -wirefraud, commodities fraud, money laundering

I'm don't know so I'm guessing here : commodities fraud and derivatives fraud are separate?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

it seems like being a law professor and having your child be one of the biggest criminals in history should mean something. like being a physics professor and your kid invents the nuclear bomb.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

fins posted:

buttcoin: guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, both.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Carthag Tuek posted:

anyone say guiltcoin yet?

how bout "guillocoin"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

this is late period francisco goya, after experiencing the horrors of sbf testifying for three days

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
sbf never makes it to his sentencing, after 4 days of inane testimony he was found dead, beaten by a stenograph machine

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kw0134 posted:

this is late period francisco goya, after experiencing the horrors of sbf testifying for three days

cronus & rhea listening to their son

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

edvard munch's much-awaited followup to the scream:

the scam

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Right, a lot of them do duplicate. Is it ever worth trying him for them anyway to set some sort of basic precedence?

Trial He was found gulty:

Convicted of: wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud against FTX customers and against Alameda Research lenders, conspiracy to commit securities fraud and conspiracy to commit commodities fraud against FTX investors, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

New trial:
Bribery conspiracy, bank fraud conspiracy, derivatives fraud, securities fraud, and conspiracy to operate an unlicensed money transmitting business are the charges for the second trial

So +Bribery, bank fraud, derivatives, money transmittal, -wirefraud, commodities fraud, money laundering

I'm don't know so I'm guessing here : commodities fraud and derivatives fraud are separate?

oh absolutely, i didn't realize this trial only dealt with conspiracy charges. basically then this one was to determine FTX as operating a criminal scheme. it only turned into a trial of SBF because all of his other co-conspirators pleaded out

since this trial also had the effect of basically casting the blame for FTX's direction squarely on sam, they'll almost certainly charge him with the subsequent violations. while i don't know the details of their plea agreements i'd bet his co-conspirators had made a condition of pleading guilty to conspiracy that they wouldn't be tried for the actual violations — not so for sam

but yes, derivatives, commodities and securities fraud are all separate crimes all dealing with similar but distinct concepts. the government is alleging violations of all of them, and most likely can prove them, but i'm not sure they've tried all of those in a crypto context before, which would definitely have value in setting precedent either way (with a conviction or even an unlikely acquittal). wire fraud and unlicensed money transmittance are things i know they've definitely tried and secured convictions for in the crypto space though. so while that might not be strictly necessary it's still a relatively new area of regulation for them and they will probably want to beef up precedent in what constitutes a violation

again i'm not an expert in this though, and i definitely don't know the history of the whole volume of crypto-related prosecutions or what the SDNY is thinking internally etc etc. but i hope it answers your questions at least a little

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

i guess to be fair he had the most experience with killing people and was the most qualified for the job

e: lmao it wasn't just that he was paroled for his guard job, he was paroled specifically for shooting dudes

man what a great fuckin' gig if you're a murderman

“I love escaping prisoners; I keep goin’ to prison for shooting’ folks, they keep giving me a gun.”
—-Matthew McConaughey voice over

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

oh absolutely, i didn't realize this trial only dealt with conspiracy charges. basically then this one was to determine FTX as operating a criminal scheme. it only turned into a trial of SBF because all of his other co-conspirators pleaded out

since this trial also had the effect of basically casting the blame for FTX's direction squarely on sam, they'll almost certainly charge him with the subsequent violations. while i don't know the details of their plea agreements i'd bet his co-conspirators had made a condition of pleading guilty to conspiracy that they wouldn't be tried for the actual violations — not so for sam

but yes, derivatives, commodities and securities fraud are all separate crimes all dealing with similar but distinct concepts. the government is alleging violations of all of them, and most likely can prove them, but i'm not sure they've tried all of those in a crypto context before, which would definitely have value in setting precedent either way (with a conviction or even an unlikely acquittal). wire fraud and unlicensed money transmittance are things i know they've definitely tried and secured convictions for in the crypto space though. so while that might not be strictly necessary it's still a relatively new area of regulation for them and they will probably want to beef up precedent in what constitutes a violation

again i'm not an expert in this though, and i definitely don't know the history of the whole volume of crypto-related prosecutions or what the SDNY is thinking internally etc etc. but i hope it answers your questions at least a little

after the precedent set by sam in the future a lawyer need only refer to the many trials of sam bankman fried to get a near 100% conviction rate

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

is it still "the greater good" if you define "the maximum amount of people" as being "the bankman-fried family"?

much to ponder

They’ve definitely provided the maximal amount of LOLs, to be fair

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Sam Bank-Fraud

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

it seems like being a law professor and having your child be one of the biggest criminals in history should mean something. like being a physics professor and your kid invents the nuclear bomb.
not just a law professor, but a specifically a law professor renowned as an expert in business ethics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Blotto_Otter posted:

not just a law professor, but a specifically a law professor renowned as an expert in business ethics

perhaps sam was born inculpably but was bitten by a radioactive crime spider

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

iirc yeah, the plea deals have a promise of not prosecuting further crimes (i think possibly with the exception of tax crimes?). and that's about it, they plead guilty and the prosecutors will write the sentencing judge a nice note saying that they're very good girls and boys for cooperating, and then they won't go after them for some of the other stuff.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol it looks like blameless sam may have bankrupted his parents

https://twitter.com/ZacBissonnette/status/1720231865745912282

seems more "might as well spend it on his defense because it will clawed back by the ftx receivers otherwise" but still: lol

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Blotto_Otter posted:

married to another law professor who was an expert in regulatory compliance

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

knox_harrington posted:

sam bankman-incarcerated

um excuse me, i already minted this joke on the laffchain like 2 days ago. unless someone else already did before that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ellie the beep posted:

married to another law professor who was an expert in regulatory compliance

that's some training day poo poo what the gently caress lmao

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hammerite posted:

um excuse me, i already minted this joke on the laffchain like 2 days ago. unless someone else already did before that.

it seems this particular lol was funged

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Normally, I would be confident in saying they were definitely upset but this are SBF's parents we're talking about so the appeared fits.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Iirc the 2nd set of charges are ones that were not part of the bahamas extradition treaty so they separated them out to avoid any potential issues

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

sam will be tried for crimes in every country on the globe

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/ZacBissonnette/status/1720231865745912282

seems more "might as well spend it on his defense because it will clawed back by the ftx receivers otherwise" but still: lol

i would imagine that the jury went into the meeting room, went through the voting procedure very quickly, then went "so, that was fast. anyone hungry? might as well have dinner on the court's dime. bailiff! we're, uh, deliberating very hard and are going to need chinese food to keep up our strength"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i keep wondering: why are "securities fraud" and "derivatives fraud" two different charges? i'd assume the latter would be folded into the former

unless they're talking about his dogshit use of mathematics to justify whatever bullshit he already believes, in which case fair enough

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i keep wondering: why are "securities fraud" and "derivatives fraud" two different charges? i'd assume the latter would be folded into the former
probably something like the poo poo he pulled with ftx was securities fraud while the poo poo he pulled with alameda was derivatives fraud or vice versa. different kinds of entities regulated by different parts of the federal code

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"did we raise a drug addicted sociopath with the core beliefs that the only thing that matters in life is getting ahead at all costs and that failure will not be tolerated? no, it's the system that's wrong"

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde
sbf: hfsp (have fun staying in prison)

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

FMguru posted:

they should ask for a refund. i think any criminal defense attorney could have done a similar job, and the expert witnesses they called were jokes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The_Franz posted:

"did we raise a drug addicted sociopath with the core beliefs that the only thing that matters in life is getting ahead at all costs and that failure will not be tolerated? no, it's the system that's wrong"

it's shitposter objectivism, all the rand psychosis with a veneer of "once I'm rich as poo poo I'll donate it I swear"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

tasukiscool posted:

sbf: hfsp (have fun staying in prison)

New thread title

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

"Did we raise a nootropics-enhanced realist with effective altruist beliefs? " you mean

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

probably something like the poo poo he pulled with ftx was securities fraud while the poo poo he pulled with alameda was derivatives fraud or vice versa. different kinds of entities regulated by different parts of the federal code

probably. i guess i'm just surprised that there's rules specific to derivatives instead of securities provisions being broad enough to apply to that too

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Trillhouse posted:

they should ask for a refund. i think any criminal defense attorney could have done a similar job

i'm not so sure. the first ones sam hired ended up dumping him when he wouldn't listen to their advice of SHUTTING THE gently caress UP, so there's clearly some challenge involved here. not shooting yourself, not showing up to court visibly drunk, not strangling sam, etc...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

knox_harrington posted:

it seems this particular lol was funged

drat. I need to start investing* my laffs into NFJs

* investing may take the form of throwing the laffs in a heap and lighting them on fire

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

probably. i guess i'm just surprised that there's rules specific to derivatives instead of securities provisions being broad enough to apply to that too

This part I do understand, from a crypto perspective.

Basically: securities = token sales, etc. Derivatives (and I'm guessing also commodities) = things more likely pertaining to leverage/margin/futures trading related. I just don't know which one for each.

In fact I may be wrong on this, but it could be that Margin is the derivatives portion and commodities is the Futures portion, but it could also be that FTX tried to tokenize stock tickers/made their own poo poo they basically called ETF's and Indexes (Shitcoin index, notably) and synthetically trade them. Or it could have been the funding rates (long/short funding rates), but I would doubt it is the dividends from the tokens nor airdrops as that probably falls under securities.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 3, 2023

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

neutral milf hotel posted:

anyone remember that one buttcoin dude from a decade ago who was jailed for a short while for fraud and then came up with mackeral blockchain using literal tins of fish in prison?

I think that was roger ver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

even though they are both financial instruments with a lot of overlap securities and commodities are regulated differently by different agencies e.g. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/7/6