Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Great game, everything I wanted it to be. The realisation that the reason Alan encounters the three overlaps in a different order to Saga because he is spiralling through time while she is on the linear path blew my mind a bit. As did the fact the game starts with Alan having been shot by the bullet of light. The man in black fled, indeed.

I think the first DLC is going to be More Mr Dior probably (given his connection to Night Springs) and then it sounds like the second is going to be to this game what AWE was to Control - a setup for Control 2. Apparently the latter will star Alan and Saga. It's going to be interesting to see how that works.

Other thoughts:
felt really sad about Pat, and Cynthia, and Rose

Really liked Alice's role, especially in the ending. She seems to have taken over Zane's role as the emanation of light, somewhat?

I'm fairly sure that Tom the Poet was a real person but Tomas Zeine the filmmaker who came to Bright Falls and wanted to build the Oceanview on top of the dam wasn't.

Ilmo and Jaako loving rocked, rip to a real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bet you "Lake House" doesn't even refer to the game and it's gonna be a tour of Sam Lake's actual house, full of Alan Wake cardboard standees.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

God I would love to work at Remedy. I mean I'm not a C++ wizard so there's no chance but they just do such interesting work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

lines posted:

a setup for Control 2. Apparently the latter will star Alan and Saga.

What the gently caress

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Darn. Another missed opportunity for the long-awaited Death Rally tie-in :sigh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess Sam lake gets to do what he wants but how can you look at the response to control and decide to get rid of Jesse

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They're saying the lead-in DLC will feature Alan and Saga, not Control 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

I guess Sam lake gets to do what he wants but how can you look at the response to control and decide to get rid of Jesse

The DLC will star Alan and Saga, not Control 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Put Jesse in Alan Wake 2 regardless.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah sorry I'm an idiot. I meant the latter DLC, not Control 2 which I'm assuming will star Jesse. (The first DLC there's something about assuming the role of various characters, which sounds funky.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want you to get to play as Jesse for a bit and it's like playing as Super Sonic compared to Regular Sonic. You just go into some creepy murder scene full of spooky ghosts and utterly obliterate them with a chunk of masonry.

Alan desperately narrating what sounds like his personal fanfiction. "And then the super agent took off into the air, flying like a bird flies, and her gun transformed, twisting and undulating into the shape of a new gun and it was totally loving rad and I think I hear the Old Gods of Asgard starting up again, but we had something SPECIAL Odin why are you playing for someone else?"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:doh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
paranatural menaces quickly passing around a memo not to be too naughty because the FBC got a new director and if you stir up enough trouble to attract her personal attention it’s game over

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Jesse will lose all of her powers in the opening level and she will have to gather them all back while navigating an increasingly complex labyrinth filled with puzzles, environmental hazards and hostile wildlife.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

WaltherFeng posted:

Jesse will lose all of her powers in the opening level and she will have to gather them all back while navigating an increasingly complex labyrinth filled with puzzles, environmental hazards and hostile wildlife.

send jesse to sr388

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Did anyone run into Echos not appearing? I'm looking at my map and it should be in the middle of the street but nothing's there.

Also I think I had a word of power not get marked off my map after absorbing it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Jessie just bodying the racoons that keep messing with the FBC transmitter, and launching a shadowman through the front window of the oh deer doner

Jessie getting pissed about having to peck at the typewriter so the keys don't stick together

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

It’ll be cool to find new OoPs at least

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

You profiled on it first as well right? Sometimes if you don't do profiling/story-boarding before stuff it doesn't trigger for some dumb reason.

For the record I don't know that that would affect it but it's worth a try. It's a bug otherwise.

Yeah, I’ve done everything. I’ve reprofiled and clicked on the board again. I’ve exhausted everything I can do. I’m just hosed. There’s no continuing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It looks like Nvidia made an oopsie with its newest driver and there's a memory leak or something when playing Alan wake 2. There's a hotfix driver out to fix it

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-releases-geforce-546-08-hotfix-driver-addressing-alan-wake-2-and-windows-10-bugs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

site posted:

It looks like Nvidia made an oopsie with is best driver and there's a memory leak or something when playing Alan wake 2. There's ahotfix driver out to fix it

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-releases-geforce-546-08-hotfix-driver-addressing-alan-wake-2-and-windows-10-bugs

well that loving explains it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/7gCqn1qsnng?si=PDJcC6A5v9IJXZrc

At 55minutes in, they find the record frame, go to collect it, and it adds a new profile page for Odin and then adds the Cynthia profile. It didn’t do that for me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Jessie just bodying the racoons that keep messing with the FBC transmitter, and launching a shadowman through the front window of the oh deer doner

Jessie getting pissed about having to peck at the typewriter so the keys don't stick together

a jumpscare face appears and makes an "oh poo poo" look before an office chair going 200 mph collides directly into their face

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I hope we get another Dr. Casper Darling music video.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

site posted:

It looks like Nvidia made an oopsie with its newest driver and there's a memory leak or something when playing Alan wake 2. There's a hotfix driver out to fix it

Looks like my strategy of ignoring the game's "hey, update your driver!" popup every time the game starts was the right one after all :c00lbert:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I love to enter phase two of a boss fight one hit from death, and the game will absolutely NOT give me any health pickups, meaning the only way to unfuck myself is to either power through or load my last manual save; it's really good game design and I am having fun early on in this video game

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

WaltherFeng posted:

It will be a strategy/business simulation game where manage the Federal Bureau of Control á la Theme Hospital.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'd play it

lines
Aug 18, 2013

FBC Simulator would absolutely sell gangbusters to a certain kind of person but I'm not certain it's Remedy's thing. Insert an interesting but flawed combat system in somewhere and you're probably much closer.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Finished it, I think it was a great story game (though Cmon a loving cliffhanger, it's all part of the spiral seriously? After this many years? Finish your goddamn story lol) and loads of fun weird nods to their older games, and lots of ahti

I do think that remedy are weird cause their gameplay gets worse with each game they make. I did a playthrough of all their games last year.
Playing the old max Paynes those games are fun to just fight dudes in and opening up with twin uzis makes you laugh in delight
Then wake1 actually has pretty good combat once you get into it, the flares rule, theres a nice impact and rhythm to everything.
American nightmare is sloppier and less polished.
Control has some fun powers and great effects but guns feel even worse and everything not a gun is on a cool down, ditto with quantum break.

Then for my money Aw2 has their worst combat gameplay, definitely the worst of the wake games.
I guess in a survival horror the combat shouldn't really be fun, I definitely ended up not wanting to fight enemies but I was mainly just frustrated through most combat sequences, enemies no sell most attacks and the hand flares are tragic.

Also... No Jesse or BARRY is a major disappointment imo!

Still, a top tier presentation for a narrative game, those are my gripes tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FBC Manager where you play as Langston trying to balance federal funding and employee sick time against the increasing probability that they all turn into extradimensional horrors.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

no barry is a major problem with this game i agree

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The complete lack of Barry is a travesty in an otherwise great game, yeah.

edit: The game even calls itself out on this in the Deerfest section!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I chalk up the awkward combat up to survival horror genre convention more than Remedy as a studio, especially because the modern Resident Evil games feel awkward in basically the exact same way.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm thinking some stuff that is hinted at will show up in the DLCs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FWIW I don't think the combat is anything extraordinarily better or worse than RE2 Remake, feeling almost identical at certain points. Not my favorite especially compared to Control but it gets the job done. It's fine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pretty much all the Remedy games I've played (not Quantum Break) have "good enough" combat imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

FWIW I don't think the combat is anything extraordinarily better or worse than RE2 Remake, feeling almost identical at certain points. Not my favorite especially compared to Control but it gets the job done. It's fine.

I think the enemy design in RE2 is a lot better which goes a long way. The Taken are somehow more boring as enemies then frigging zombies.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

exquisite tea posted:

Part of my problem is I'm playing re4make at the same time, which Aw2 gameplay seems to be a very rough first draft of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Axe throwing taken are the worst