Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

What should I watch if I want to see Rude in his prime? He's one of those guys I always knew was a legend but I haven't caught much of what he did.

92 g1 finals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
kevin nash was talking on his podcast about rick rude and how rude couldnt roll a joint to save his life

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 3, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NorgLyle posted:

One of my other favorite parts of those moments are when the idiot fan gets caught by one of the referees... who also proceeds to kick the living poo poo out of them.

A fair bit more recent but now thinking back to when that moron tackled Bret Hart at that WWE Hall of Fame ceremony back in 2019, and he honestly got lucky that he got knocked out pretty quickly cause he was surrounded by like 50 very very upset wrestlers and under less ideal conditions(like say if Bret had gotten seriously hurt) he probably would have left the building in a body bag

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kevin nash was talking on his podcast about rick rude and how rude couldnt roll a joint to save his life

Heh

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
you have to dumb as hell to attack a wrestler

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DeathChicken posted:

The other similar story was Warrior stiffing Rick Rude, so he told him "If you do that one more time I'm going to knock you out." Warrior did, Rude open hand slapped him into unconsciousness

George "The Animal" Steele told a story at a book signing about how they all got Warrior in a corner during a battle royale, and tied his tassels to the ropes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Open Marriage Night posted:

George "The Animal" Steele told a story at a book signing about how they all got Warrior in a corner during a battle royale, and tied his tassels to the ropes.

lol

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

If only the Hulk Hogan Vape Juice could have smoked the competition

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

This is probably the only thing I have in common with Rick Rude. :(

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rick Rude rolls worst joint ever, asked to leave Degeneration X

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

drrockso20 posted:

These are some of my favorite wrestling stories, a wrestler's job after all is putting on a performance where it looks like they're beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other while in reality are trying to minimize the actual damage they inflict(at least if they're competent), so Warrior getting a much deserved reminder that the people he's being too stiff with are generally all much better than him at doing the dance but are also better at committing violence if they feel the need to take the kid gloves off is both karmic and comedic gold

See also pretty much anytime an audience member tries to interfere with a match or when a non-wrestler thinks that because "wrestling is fake" that they can totally take on a wrestler when they're off the clock even though the guy has a foot of height and 150 pounds of muscle more than them

I know it's usually just some drunken idiot from the crowd, but I wonder if wrestlers ever get freaked out when someone charges the ring. I mean, the guy could pull out a knife or some other kind of weapon you really never know.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

NorgLyle posted:

One of my other favorite parts of those moments are when the idiot fan gets caught by one of the referees... who also proceeds to kick the living poo poo out of them.

It never stops being funny that guys would get taken out by Randy Anderson when they tried getting into the ring.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NorgLyle posted:

Yeah, like when they're try it on Brian Hildebrand or Pee Wee Anderson, not realizing that both were also trained wrestlers they just were referees because they were too tiny for the time to be in-ring wrestlers.

haljordan posted:

I know it's usually just some drunken idiot from the crowd, but I wonder if wrestlers ever get freaked out when someone charges the ring. I mean, the guy could pull out a knife or some other kind of weapon you really never know.

My favorite story of this was there was a big angle in Mid-South where Michael Hayes had blinded the Junkyard Dog, with the added drama that the Dog's daughter was just born. He may never be able to SEE HIS CHILD. This wound up the people who loved JYD which was basically every fan in the promotion. They'd have Dog come down to the ring with dark glasses on, pretending to be blind, and one night while he was 'watching' Hayes versus whomever was helping JYD out he heard a drunken voice slurring "Don' worry Dog! I got 'em!" and noticed the fan had a revolver and was frozen trying to decide what to do because kayfabe was more of a lifestyle back then but fortunately security got there.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Man I never noticed how much Rude and Foley's promo cadence sound alike until this video

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, like when they're try it on Brian Hildebrand or Pee Wee Anderson, not realizing that both were also trained wrestlers they just were referees because they were too tiny for the time to be in-ring wrestlers.

My favorite story of this was there was a big angle in Mid-South where Michael Hayes had blinded the Junkyard Dog, with the added drama that the Dog's daughter was just born. He may never be able to SEE HIS CHILD. This wound up the people who loved JYD which was basically every fan in the promotion. They'd have Dog come down to the ring with dark glasses on, pretending to be blind, and one night while he was 'watching' Hayes versus whomever was helping JYD out he heard a drunken voice slurring "Don' worry Dog! I got 'em!" and noticed the fan had a revolver and was frozen trying to decide what to do because kayfabe was more of a lifestyle back then but fortunately security got there.

Holy poo poo that is insane. Mid-South wrestling was WILDIN'.

Also there was a story in Mick Foley's book where he talks about a ref taking down a fan who ran into the ring just by throwing a front facelock on the guy. Took all of 2 seconds.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

haljordan posted:

Holy poo poo that is insane. Mid-South wrestling was WILDIN'.

Also there was a story in Mick Foley's book where he talks about a ref taking down a fan who ran into the ring just by throwing a front facelock on the guy. Took all of 2 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX3hnt3rFdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj6QoYTSPhQ

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah the first clip is the one I read about. I bet that fan did not expect the ref to take him down lol. He caught a wicked knee to the face too, right as he climbs into the ring.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 3, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

haljordan posted:

It's just stuff I heard on the Internet, but this is my understanding: when a fan charges the ring, you have to smack them down immediately, because if the sentiment becomes contagious you can't fight an entire building full of people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That's probably the biggest reason for seemingly brutal beatings to such clowns, you gotta discourage that kind of audience participation as clearly as possible.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
and you don't know what that guy is going to do, so you just put him on the ground as fast you can.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It's just stuff I heard on the Internet, but this is my understanding: when a fan charges the ring, you have to smack them down immediately, because if the sentiment becomes contagious you can't fight an entire building full of people.

Oh yeah, that's also an excellent point. I remember a quote from Stephen Jackson talking about the Malice at the Palace and how he knew he had to get off the court fast, and he uses pretty much the same logic:

quote:

I knew we had to get out of this arena before all these guys in the nosebleed seats got down to our section. That’s the felons, the guys that really don’t care about losing anything. If they come down there, somebody’s going to really get hurt.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 3, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was a terrifying one where a fan came into the ring and pushed over a ladder while Eddie Guerrero was on top of it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This first one is just wild because so much happens in such a short time:
- Fan charges in
- Fan catches a loving knee to the face (real inspiration for the V Trigger I'm certain)
- Fan gets choked out
- Malenko and Psicosis get some quick shots in, but generally continue wrestling like nothing has happened
- Heenan and Tenay immediately pivot to clowning on the guy
- The ref eyeballs the fan's friend who also jumps the railing toward the end of the clip, which looks to be just to check on his friend or get him out of there and not actually cause any trouble

The second one is much more succinct, but man that kick to the face is thrown almost like an afterthought and completely wipes that dude out. Also big LOL at Dave Penzer yanking the other guy out of the ring with no effort whatsoever.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

This first one is just wild because so much happens in such a short time:
- Fan charges in
- Fan catches a loving knee to the face (real inspiration for the V Trigger I'm certain)
- Fan gets choked out
- Malenko and Psicosis get some quick shots in, but generally continue wrestling like nothing has happened
- Heenan and Tenay immediately pivot to clowning on the guy
- The ref eyeballs the fan's friend who also jumps the railing toward the end of the clip, which looks to be just to check on his friend or get him out of there and not actually cause any trouble

The second one is much more succinct, but man that kick to the face is thrown almost like an afterthought and completely wipes that dude out. Also big LOL at Dave Penzer yanking the other guy out of the ring with no effort whatsoever.

I like DDP trying to pull the ref off the guy in the second clip, Randy looked like he was going to rip that fan's face clean off.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 3, 2023

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was a terrifying one where a fan came into the ring and pushed over a ladder while Eddie Guerrero was on top of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSAkvyf5Ys

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah that's scary, luckily Eddie wasn't at the very top of the ladder and it seemed like he saw the fan coming right at the last second.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 3, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i dont know if its still the case or not but refs are trained how to deal with fans running into the ring which is why all of them beat the poo poo out of them in those videos... its very stupid to run for the ring because everyone in the vicinity of it will beat the poo poo out of you and throw your rear end out lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 3, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

I believe the very simple front facelock also let Chris Jericho beat Bill Goldberg in their backstage altercation.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jericho talked in his first book, I think when he was in Mexico, about seeing a fan brandishing a knife right before or after his match.

People have always been nuts.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I always remember Scott hall stomping the gently caress out of a dude at bash at the beach 96

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I always remember Scott hall stomping the gently caress out of a dude at bash at the beach 96

Also when Kevin Nash stormed into the crowd at some MTV appearance after he got clunked in the head with a rock.

quote:

Nash was ordered by the court to pay $1 to the "victim" and to issue an apology, which ended up being written in red crayon.

lmaooooo I want to see that apology.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

haljordan posted:

Also when Kevin Nash stormed into the crowd at some MTV appearance after he got clunked in the head with a rock.

lmaooooo I want to see that apology.

Goddamn Big Kev is the best

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

stab posted:

Goddamn Big Kev is the best

Time continues to only prove Big Sexxy more and more correct.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Eddie, no joke, initially thought it was Crash Holly

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
"Beach Justice" Kevin Nash

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Shard posted:

Time continues to only prove Big Sexxy more and more correct.

While there's a whole lot of issues about him from that time, looking back and even actually hearing from him in recent times, it's hard to blame the guy for taking advantage of a shitshow of a company under those circumstances. He was far from an angel, but there's a whole lot of people who would've done the same if not worse poo poo with the same power and influence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

iamsosmrt posted:

there's a whole lot of people who would've done the same if not worse poo poo with the same power and influence.
Yeah, they were his friends and coworkers

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

One of my favourite parts of the wwe games is making guys like Nash do suicide dives and Canadian destroyers and poo poo. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i always swapped the big show and rey mysterios moves

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Macho Man hitting a Tope Con Hilo is the sickest poo poo ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sandman McMahon posted:

One of my favourite parts of the wwe games is making guys like Nash do suicide dives and Canadian destroyers and poo poo. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

I'm shocked Big Kev doesn't have contract stipulations with the video game companies that say his character doesn't do moves like that.