Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I only get annoyed at requests for older shows that don't work with automation reliably, if the person requesting isn't actually going to watch them.
Before setting up jellyseerr (fork of overseerr for jellyfin/emby) I would get annoyed if someone wanted 20 seasons of a show all at once. But with jellyseerr I just edit that request before approving it to be the first couple of seasons, and they can go and request additional seasons when/if they get further along. Great piece of software.
I don't trust any of my friends and family to not be dumb with requests enough to grant them auto-approve though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone experimented with the autodelete function where a file would be deleted x days after it was viewed?

Screengrab from Reddit:

If it's possible to turn this on automatically for an entire library it might be nice if you could assign it to a Random Bullshit Requests library then just forget about it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I use that feature on all the daily shows in my library, works great.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

IOwnCalculus posted:

That solves the separate library issue (and I'm already set up to handle that in the future if/when needed) but I don't even want those separate libraries until I can tell Plex to not transcode anything played from them, ever.

Wasn't there a python script someone posted here that forced Auto quality on all clients?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

If you are a Plex Pass subscriber they added some nice player features according to this forum post. I will probably use the auto skip intro and auto skip credits the most out of the features. iOS and Apple TV are not supported yet, but Android and Roku are.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Burden posted:

If you are a Plex Pass subscriber they added some nice player features according to this forum post. I will probably use the auto skip intro and auto skip credits the most out of the features. iOS and Apple TV are not supported yet, but Android and Roku are.

quote:

Passout Protection (Plex Pass Required)

By default there is a timer of 2 hours where when the current video finishes it will not continue to the next. This is to help prevent content from continually playing if you fall asleep.

Choices are:

Never Prompt (Disable Passout Protection)

Uh, what if I don't want users to be able to do that and bog down our server? I'd hope they are smart enough not to but if there's something server-side to prevent it that would be nice.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Burden posted:

Nice to see they're still thinking about the "your own media" crowd, even if this round is just pvr.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

They finally added a configurable timer for auto play next. Now if they had a long press option like kodi did to play a vid without any auto play after.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If credits skip is connected to the broken as hell mechanism that shrinks the video 10 minutes before the show is due to finish, no thanks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Credits skip is too broken to automatically skip, but having the next video auto-play after 5 seconds of credits is awesome and I can't wait to turn that on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Apologies if I missed it, is there a way to get the corner colour triangle back to notify that the item is unwatched? I prefer that to the green check circle for stuff that has been watched.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Corb3t posted:

Credits skip is too broken to automatically skip, but having the next video auto-play after 5 seconds of credits is awesome and I can't wait to turn that on.

I'm amped about this to DISABLE credit skip on arrested development where it always screws up an minimizes the video during the "next time on arrested development" stinger.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Talorat posted:

I'm amped about this to DISABLE credit skip on arrested development where it always screws up an minimizes the video during the "next time on arrested development" stinger.

You'd think it would be easy to flag "unique" credits and mark those for full-screen playback instead of skipping/minimizing them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

priznat posted:

Apologies if I missed it, is there a way to get the corner colour triangle back to notify that the item is unwatched? I prefer that to the green check circle for stuff that has been watched.

It's still there on Roku so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they remove because I definitely prefer that over the green check.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

calandryll posted:

It's still there on Roku so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they remove because I definitely prefer that over the green check.

My Roku has the green checks for watched so I'm betting yours just hasn't updated for some reason.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Green circle is way better. you've watched it, so its marked. Impure. Tainted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I saw a poll recently and the majority either preferred the new method or didn’t care either way. I think it’s a bit mean to not let people have the choice though.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
I just had a pop up on Plex on apple tv prompting me to review a bunch of settings I had as private and to expose to friends or friends of friends. The ui wasnt skippable and defaulted to have them as the plex suggested change. Seemed pretty lovely as most people might just accept and skip through.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Alan G posted:

I just had a pop up on Plex on apple tv prompting me to review a bunch of settings I had as private and to expose to friends or friends of friends. The ui wasnt skippable and defaulted to have them as the plex suggested change. Seemed pretty lovely as most people might just accept and skip through.

What's weird is that has nothing to do with the plex server. I got the same popup when I used the web app this morning.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.plex.tv/blog/discover-together/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Social media television watching, just what nobody asked for. Thanks, I hate it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

stupid sexy jerome with his deep v tshirt

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Motronic posted:

Social media television watching, just what nobody asked for. Thanks, I hate it.

But they are providing value!!

Remember how we started using these apps because the SmartTVs were doing this exact same poo poo?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t haaaate it, and I’m glad they did a pop up to take you through it (less happy it was opt out), but I’d like more control. Watch history? For the most part I’ve no issue with friends who I share my server with knowing what I’ve watched, afterall their watch history is visible to me. But I’d like to say ‘hey maybe not this library I don’t share with family members for a reason’.

So I’ve put history as private, watchlist/ratings*/friends list as Friends. I wish ratings would sync to Letterboxd as I don’t tend to use Plex’s system, I do think being able to see if my friends watched a movie what they thought of it in a star rating thing in front of me is neat though. I doubt I’ll ever see any, mind.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I remember liking Netflix's social features way back when. Found some cool stuff through my friend's rental histories and reviews. I also miss Rdio for being able to see what friends were listening to.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You know that saying how with social media, you are the product?

I feel like anyone who has :filez: ought to consider where watch history is being stored now, and how a financially strapped company might be able to use that information to make money.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If they wanted to commit suicide as a company, sure.

Also the only time in recent years I can recall companies making a big legal fuss was over PPV streaming, and I’m not sure if they even followed through with it. Lessons were definitely learned about going after end users, and the most you really see these days is ISP letters telling you to knock it off if you get caught with certain torrents on a public tracker.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Comcast antipiracy storm troopers kicking down my door after Plex sold them my watch history (?)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What does Emby do for the unwatched icon because I am annoyed enough at the green checkmark that’s be enough for me to switch!!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oh no they’re combing through my Trakt account watch history.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Plex is more interested to know that you watched Barbie and not that you watched Barbie.HD_CAM.wmv

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bonzo posted:

Plex is more interested to know that you watched Barbie and not that you watched Barbie.HD_CAM.wmv

:tinfoil:
For now!
I assume it's too much work for the pay off of tracking any of us down tbh. cost:reward
I could see maybe getting numbers on groups that tag files, but they already have access to that I'm sure. They know who's popular and who to look for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

What does Emby do for the unwatched icon because I am annoyed enough at the green checkmark that’s be enough for me to switch!!

The same. And Jellyfin uses a blue check or a blue circle with the number of unwatched episodes which is incredibly annoying.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My stuff is all ripped from DVDs.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Random question, is there any way to expose the sonarr calendar but literally nothing else to users? I don’t want to actually have people mucking about in my sonarr instance but the calendar feels like a broadly useful resource.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think it presents an iCal feed they could add to their calendar app of choice? You'd need to make sure this is publically accessible especially for Google and Apple cloud based poo poo.

Google indicates the link contains your API key though so.. uh you might not want to share that depending on your risk appetite.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Aware posted:

I think it presents an iCal feed they could add to their calendar app of choice? You'd need to make sure this is publically accessible especially for Google and Apple cloud based poo poo.

Google indicates the link contains your API key though so.. uh you might not want to share that depending on your risk appetite.

It does, but oddly enough I just cut the &apiKey=XXXX from the URL and it worked...

https://sonarr.url.com/sonarr/feed/calendar/Sonarr.ics

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How big is everybody's Plex server? I'm curious.

I've got an 110 TB Unraid server with about 80 TB full.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Corb3t posted:

I've got an 110 TB Unraid server with about 80 TB full.

I bought four 20TB drives and it'll be a while until I need to get more.

I'm also realizing that the cost of flash storage is getting kinda interesting, seems to be $300 for 10TB of m.2 drives or 20TB for a HDD. I wonder if it might finally reach parity in a few more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Corb3t posted:

About 3 inches by 4 inches by 1 inch :smug: