Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Speaking of which, I need to call another ten brokers today to ask where my BBBY went.

The dingo ate your BBBY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1720244342814625934

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Remember when people were saying they only arrested him to stop him talking to congress lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Coworker is wearing a shirt with one of those stupid ape NFTs on it today. One of the strongest "I am an idiot!" signals out there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Elon is a max terrible person but Kim dot com still has a more punchable face.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

And the charge they dropped, the one the Bahamas raised a stink about, was the donations via straw donors to Republicans. If anything was going to dispel the notion that this was some Dem psyop or whatever gibberish, it would be the charge that SBF played both sides of the field in illegal ways to hedge his political bets.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Coworker is wearing a shirt with one of those stupid ape NFTs on it today. One of the strongest "I am an idiot!" signals out there.

But what if co-worker is trying to illustrate the idiocy of paying for a blockchain entry indicating ownership of a hyperlink to a JPEG?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

contemplating what prison hobby to take up

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

bagmonkey posted:

contemplating what prison hobby to take up

Can we make this the replacement for :magemage:?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The next excuse after the Biden pardon doesn’t magically appear is that he’ll win on appeal. And after that doesn’t happen it’ll be his sentence will be time served and community service.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Zopotantor posted:

Can we make this the replacement for :magemage:?

drat, shrinking down pastels gives it a real mid-90s adventure game cutscene feel

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 3, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Aramis posted:

Quite a few things are wrong in your understanding.

- There is no such thing as a "mathematical shortcut were found to create bitcoins". Mining a bitcoin has nothing to do with finding them hidden somewhere. Bitcoins are emitted at a regular interval and awarded to anyone who manages to successfully sign a chunk of transactions.

You are actually both partially wrong on this one. It's possible that there's some "trick" waiting to be discovered to create SHA256 hashes with lots of leading zeros faster than just brute force. Which then lets you generate an arbitrary number of Bitcoin blocks much faster than the network in total does.

The other side is that once the network encounters a difficulty adjustment point (every 2016 blocks), the network sees "wow, these blocks came really fast out!" and adjusts the difficulty so that you have to spend several magnitudes more energy even just doing the "trick", and you're back to the beginning before you discovered the trick. So you wouldn't get all the bitcoins, only at most 2016 blocks of them.

But yes, the community at large would be "someone just mined thousands of blocks in seconds!" and it would cause a complete upheaval as the developers rush to try changing to a hash algorithm without flaws while still keeping the network and price up. Users would either run screaming to the nearest exchange or hodl on as hard as they could.

If someone were ever to discover such a trick, the best play would be to just pretend to be a normal miner and get "lucky" now and then. Not too often, you gotta be able to disappear into the noise of the other miners. You'd not get all of the coins, but on the other hand you would get them without spending the energy of a small country, so you'd have a much better profit margin than the other miners.

edit: I guess there could be some trick that lets you consistently create hashes that are all-zeroes. In that case, difficulty adjustments won't matter and I'm pretty sure the Bitcoin code would break completely once it tries to adjust past the bottom.

double edit: I also forgot about that 4x adjustment limit, yeah. Still, if your goal is to completely gently caress over the network, it doesn't matter if you get 1000 blocks or all the blocks at once, it would induce instant panic.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 3, 2023

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Difficulty retargets are limited to 4x either way I think, so you would likely get a lot more than just the next 2016 blocks at a really fast pace, but at that point bitcoin would be broken and your coins would be worthless. More worthless than usual even.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you could break hashing and encryption in some way to print bitcoins, then I suspect printing bitcoins would be the least profitable thing you could do. You'd have a billion dollar nation state level security vulnerability that you could probably leverage to never work again legally.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The other part here is, if Bitcoin continues to rise in speculative value, these tips are going to continually get more expensive as well. Let's say today the transaction fee is $10 range, in the future if that's $1000 nobody would have any reason to do transactions. And if you think miners won't collude on these tips, lol of course they will.
I think it's going to cause a really nasty prisoner's dilemma type situation where they're going to get stuck in a race to the bottom UNLESS they collude.

Right now, the demand for mining is entirely driven by the price of Bitcoin and miners have basically zero control of the price. They can't say, even collectively, "it costs me $30,000 of electricity to mine a coin so I should be able to trade that coin for more than $30,000" because if they quit, the network will just drop the difficulty target and make them unnecessary.

But let's say it changes to purely transaction fees. Not only does that decouple it from the price of Bitcoin, for whatever major shifts that'll cause, but because of how the network works (unlike Ethereum where gas fees are determined algorithmically), miners are going to be producing blocks at the same rate and same cost regardless of what is in them. Let's say a miner passes on a transaction because the fee is too low - the miner saves almost nothing in terms of resources, but they will miss out on the transaction fee if anybody else scoops it up. So the selfish incentive for each miner is to process as many transactions as they can because even a lovely transaction fee is better than nothing.

If they get sick of settling for scraps and idle their hardware, then the network has the same transaction capacity regardless of how many miners there are (lol) so, again, they have zero leverage to demand a higher price. The only way they can demand a higher price is by either a.) colluding to set the fees and mine tons of blocks to keep the block difficulty high and price undercutters out of the market, or b.) intentionally spamming the network with junk transactions to saturate the transaction capacity.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

That still doesn't create bitcoins, which was my point. Bitcoins aren't created by any cryptographic operation, they are awarded for successfully signing a block.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
the whole thing's a scam yo, from to to bottom. LOL!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Salt Fish posted:

If you could break hashing and encryption in some way to print bitcoins, then I suspect printing bitcoins would be the least profitable thing you could do. You'd have a billion dollar nation state level security vulnerability that you could probably leverage to never work again legally.

The type of hashing in Bitcoin is specific enough that there might be some trick (not preimage attack, not collision attack) that is only applicable to Bitcoin. There are definitely nation states that would be interested in that kind of attack too, of course. Like North Korea, which would loove a recipe for printing coins out of thin air.

Aramis posted:

That still doesn't create bitcoins, which was my point. Bitcoins aren't created by any cryptographic operation, they are awarded for successfully signing a block.

Bitcoins are created by cryptographic operations. Each block has to have a hash that starts with some number of zeroes, and the number of zeroes is what the network adjusts. The "award" is the block itself. If you have some way to find blocks with number of zeroes faster than brute force, you have a recipe for printing bitcoins.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 3, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ymgve posted:

Bitcoins are created by cryptographic operations. Each block has to have a hash that starts with some number of zeroes, and the number of zeroes is what the network adjusts. The "award" is the block itself. If you have some way to find blocks with number of zeroes faster than brute force, you have a recipe for printing bitcoins.

Bam, this made it slide into place for me.

So we're not talking about "break all modern encryption", we're talking about "find a cryptographic weakness with a hash algorithm that reduces the keyspace size needed to search for a hash collision". This is the kind of thing that happens all the time in cryptography.

Breaking this down, the "trick" is finding out that, hey, you don't actually even need to bother trying the following inputs to get the desired output. If you can skip even half of the things to try, you're now going twice as fast with the same hardware. And most vulnerabilities I recall offhand would be more like 4, 8, or 16 times.

It sounds like Bitcoin's defense against this is to make it harder to do the work. But because it's now money, what would actually transpire is that the trick is a secret worth lots of money and only a few people can do it. It's going to be a really interesting day when that happens: I don't believe cryptanalysis has ever been tied directly to a currency before.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Squiggle posted:

drat, shrinking down pastels gives it a real mid-90s adventure game cutscene feel

He looks like the creature from the 1994 videogame based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein with De Niro.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
(technically the difficulty is not just number of zeros, but that each hash have to be below a certain number when interpreted as a huge integer. but in practice it means each hash start with lots of zeros and it's easier to explain and see visually)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Pirate Radar posted:

Isn’t there speculation that at least one of Madoff’s clients figured it out at some point and demanded to be cut in as payment for his silence?

There was one whale in particular who caught on to the ponzi and enabled it in the form of a large deposit on demand when Madoff needed the funds but also being allowed to liquidate when others could not. I think this was in a Netflix documentary about Madoff.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

cruft posted:

Bam, this made it slide into place for me.

So we're not talking about "break all modern encryption", we're talking about "find a cryptographic weakness with a hash algorithm that reduces the keyspace size needed to search for a hash collision". This is the kind of thing that happens all the time in cryptography.

Breaking this down, the "trick" is finding out that, hey, you don't actually even need to bother trying the following inputs to get the desired output. If you can skip even half of the things to try, you're now going twice as fast with the same hardware. And most vulnerabilities I recall offhand would be more like 4, 8, or 16 times.

It sounds like Bitcoin's defense against this is to make it harder to do the work. But because it's now money, what would actually transpire is that the trick is a secret worth lots of money and only a few people can do it. It's going to be a really interesting day when that happens: I don't believe cryptanalysis has ever been tied directly to a currency before.

The problem here is that the entire thing is SHA256 and things like hash collisions do actually occur, and the problem inherent is the risk factor. Not to mention if someone figures out how to crack SHA256 with quantum in theory, Bitcoin is screwed.

IE: if I can hash collision your wallet and guess the private key, I can control all of your bitcoins in it. And that transaction is not reversible. So your "currency" in whatever format and any expected or perceived value if I can do that, are now 0. So I'd imagine that the biggest holdings wallet in crypto is probably something people are trying to obtain a hash collision on constantly. There was a website posted in this thread where people were using GPU's to try to find hash collisions for laughs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The problem here is that the entire thing is SHA256 and things like hash collisions do actually occur, and the problem inherent is the risk factor. Not to mention if someone figures out how to crack SHA256 with quantum in theory, Bitcoin is screwed.

IE: if I can hash collision your wallet and guess the private key, I can control all of your bitcoins in it. And that transaction is not reversible. So your "currency" in whatever format and any expected or perceived value if I can do that, are now 0. So I'd imagine that the biggest holdings wallet in crypto is probably something people are trying to obtain a hash collision on constantly. There was a website posted in this thread where people were using GPU's to try to find hash collisions for laughs.

no

You can break the security on proof-of-work by breaking sha-256 - a hashing algorithm. to break the private keys you need to break an entirely different cryptographic system (whichever variant of public-key encryption they are using)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You're outlining the "all modern encryption is broken" scenario.

More likely, at least in short term, is that a weakness is found against the hash algorithm that effectively reduces the keyspace size. It's not exactly computing a hash collision, but it's related. You're trying to find an input that results in not just one output, but anything in a whole set of outputs. In my stupid addition example, you're trying to find two numbers that, when added, result in the last 2 digits being under 40.

In 1998, this would not have been a very interesting break to research, because it would have no practical value. Now it has enormous practical value, because if you can reduce the keyspace by half, your gigantic mining rig can suddenly do twice as much work for the same amount of electricity, heat, and atmospheric carbon. If you can keep the break secret, whatever profit you're making now would be doubled.

I do think it's likely that in the future, the computation to break this will be trivial. Say 100 years to be safe. 50 years seems pretty safe, too. 25 years doesn't feel like a huge stretch. 25 years ago, 56-bit DES was still used all over the place.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 3, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1715552629726601422

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's a lot easier to phish some sucker's poo poo, or find an easily exploited hole in the platform. Look at this list of crypto hacks just from 2023. In most cases there is fuckall the average user could have done to prevent getting their poo poo stolen other than not buy it in the first place.

https://www.ccn.com/education/crypto-hacks-2023-full-list-of-scams-and-exploits-as-millions-go-missing/

Some of this poo poo is so goddamn basic:

quote:

How Kucoin’s Twitter Scandal Happened
Hackers gained unauthorized access to KuCoin’s Twitter account and had control over it for approximately 45 minutes. During this time, they promoted fraudulent activities, leveraging the account’s influence to deceive the platform’s users. The hackers posted about fake giveaways and other deceptive schemes, causing users to send funds to malicious addresses.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The odds are very good that a sha-256 collision has never happened, and unless there's a major bug, that it will never happen. The number of possible sha-256 hashes is larger than the number of atoms in the universe cubed.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's a lot easier to phish some sucker's poo poo, or find an easily exploited hole in the platform.

Yeah. For all the EXTREME MATH required to understand this crap, you would expect these companies to have super-tight code. And yet the rate of compromise is just astounding. My local bank is still using a reusable password to log in, but apparently that's still a higher bar than everything listed on web3 is going great.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

evilweasel posted:

no

You can break the security on proof-of-work by breaking sha-256 - a hashing algorithm. to break the private keys you need to break an entirely different cryptographic system (whichever variant of public-key encryption they are using)

Ugh. Guess I both don't know enough about cryptography but also didn't do a lot of research on Bitcoin, not that it'd be beneficial anyway.

But yes, weaknesses of people are extra apparent in crypto due to the whole "can't revert a transaction" aspect..

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cruft posted:

Yeah. For all the EXTREME MATH required to understand this crap, you would expect these companies to have super-tight code.

I think you're making a big assumption here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is an important line of thought often missed by people saying bitcoins are currency based on math that using the Bitcoin ledger to create bitcoins by defining in the protocol +50 bitcoins on a new block isn't the interesting part. You could just as easily add a name to a list to be used as the VIP entry list at a club.

A theoretical hashing hack specific to Bitcoin would be interesting as far as it could completely collapse it into the massively multiplayer excel spreadsheet that it is behind the veil.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

zedprime posted:

There is an important line of thought often missed by people saying bitcoins are currency based on math that using the Bitcoin ledger to create bitcoins by defining in the protocol +50 bitcoins on a new block isn't the interesting part. You could just as easily add a name to a list to be used as the VIP entry list at a club.

A theoretical hashing hack specific to Bitcoin would be interesting as far as it could completely collapse it into the massively multiplayer excel spreadsheet that it is behind the veil.

So let's say there are not bitcoins left and I want to add you to my VIP entry list. That's handled by a "tip" now, right? Who do I tip as an incentive for them to burn a bunch of coal so I can avoid using a piece of paper? Maybe there's some way to enter a transaction like "and also 0.00001BTC to whoever signs this first"?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

zedprime posted:

please do not talk down about the competitive spreadsheet scene by comparing it to bitcoin, thank you.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Salt Fish posted:

The odds are very good that a sha-256 collision has never happened, and unless there's a major bug, that it will never happen. The number of possible sha-256 hashes is larger than the number of atoms in the universe cubed.
Is that different than the LBC? I have a basic understanding of this crap only.

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/about

Also Wired has an article behind a paywall saying the crypto community is celebrating SBF's conviction, saying the fraud was a dark spot on crypto they are eager to move past and I'm wondering how the giant list of previous frauds/pulls/'we were hacked' doesn't count.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

cruft posted:

So let's say there are not bitcoins left and I want to add you to my VIP entry list. That's handled by a "tip" now, right? Who do I tip as an incentive for them to burn a bunch of coal so I can avoid using a piece of paper? Maybe there's some way to enter a transaction like "and also 0.00001BTC to whoever signs this first"?

That is literally what the «fee» field in every current bitcoin wallet software is

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Also Wired has an article behind a paywall saying the crypto community is celebrating SBF's conviction, saying the fraud was a dark spot on crypto they are eager to move past and I'm wondering how the giant list of previous frauds/pulls/'we were hacked' doesn't count.

LBC is testing every private Bitcoin key in sequence, which would be a dumb idea in theory since it would take the lifetime of a whole multiverse to check them all, but in practice they sometimes find used keys because bitcoin software is on average fully crap and some create bad keys

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 3, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

What is this, then?

LBC posted:

I heard the Server can Remote-Execute Code on my Client? WTF?
Yes, the server can do that and the server uses that only for client consistency checks and dealing with client inconsistencies. Despite security-experts turning blue in their face, this is actually a security feature

Okay, I'm out!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ymgve posted:

That is literally what the «fee» field in every current bitcoin wallet software is

I think you mean «nofees»

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Boxturret posted:

I think you mean «nofees»

no, fees!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cruft posted:

If I'm making a crypto VIP list, I'm making it so people who never visit the club get expunged and miners can add new people in these holes. In this theoretical scenario you get someone to mine you by offering them a sack of money, sexual favors etc. off chain.

If you're trying to extend the analogy to Bitcoin, don't forget that there is nothing actually sacred about the protocol and it's all just built on a level of collusion by miners. We have kind of glossed over the fact that if the miners get to 2140 and if they decide you know what, this is bullshit, they can agree to port everything to Bitcoin 2.0 so they keep getting block rewards and depending how much processing power is swapped to that new track, it may leave the Bitcoin purists flat footed enough to turn irrelevant.