Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

3 interviews isn’t uncommon, but a hiring process taking place on a three month timeline is wild

Guess hiring moves at the same pace as regular product development at YNAB, at least :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Apparently Intuit is shutting down Mint at the end of the year. I've been using them since the late 00s, and I'm very frustrated by this development. I have had YNAB downloaded for a long time, but never actually opened it. Apparently Intuit wants everyone on Mint to transition to CreditKarma. I'm debating if it would be better to go with YNAB instead.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently Intuit is shutting down Mint at the end of the year. I've been using them since the late 00s, and I'm very frustrated by this development. I have had YNAB downloaded for a long time, but never actually opened it. Apparently Intuit wants everyone on Mint to transition to CreditKarma. I'm debating if it would be better to go with YNAB instead.

CreditKarma is nothing to do with budgeting though, right? How strange

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

101 posted:

CreditKarma is nothing to do with budgeting though, right? How strange

Yeah, I have no idea what is going on. But that's their plan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For money that’s set aside for the next three months, do you all keep it in your checking account or put it in a HYSA and pull it out when it’s needed?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Checking. Min maxing in an HYSA doesn't provide enough gains for it to matter to me

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I keep it in a HYSA. I couldn't determine any situation where I would need cash, now, in that amount. Almost any emergency can wait 2-3 business days for it to transfer back, and I'm not going to say no to about 100 bucks a month in interest.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Pollyanna posted:

For money that’s set aside for the next three months, do you all keep it in your checking account or put it in a HYSA and pull it out when it’s needed?

Like an emergency fund? HYSA or federal MMF at a brokerage.

Even if you have a feast or famine income pattern I don't see a reason to keep more than a month of expenses in a checking account that earns nothing. When interest rates were zero it didn't matter, but now it's so easy to transfer money back to a checking account online and have it available in 1-2 days you're giving up free money by not putting it in a HYSA or MMF.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not emergency, just the expected amount of money to be used over the next three months.

I guess in that case it brings into question whether budgeting three months out is particularly worthwhile if it’s based on what you have in your checking account. It’s good peace of mind, but possibly not smart investment.

Edit: Let me ask another question - does anyone have their HYSA hooked up to YNAB?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 3, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

I'm in the same boat - I'm considering switching to simplifi instead - I have no interest in CreditKarma since it seems like it's designed around getting folks into debt rather than actually planning a budget. Would rather pay $40 a year to have what I needed out of mint rather than keep it free and be sold for ads and pushing product even further.

edit: and now I learn that simplifi only has a mobile interface - gently caress that poo poo.

Anyone have other free recommendations though that aren't as skeezy? Reddit had Monarch Money as another option, but I'm not seeing much out there about it.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I want to run a docker instance of Actual now that it's open source and free but I currently don't have any way of importing all my data from Financier and I don't really want to start over and lose 10 years of budgeting.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They made it open-source? So it's dead now, too, before finally getting usable reports?

--edit: There's OK activity on Github and someone's writing a custom report builder. Hope someone makes a tabular income/expense report a la YNAB, and I'd be set. I set up a docker container with it and imported my nYNAB stuff, but it didn't import the scheduled transactions :(
--edit: Yay, I tested the custom reports PR, it allows replication of the income/expense report.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 5, 2023

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Pollyanna posted:

Not emergency, just the expected amount of money to be used over the next three months.

I guess in that case it brings into question whether budgeting three months out is particularly worthwhile if it’s based on what you have in your checking account. It’s good peace of mind, but possibly not smart investment.

Edit: Let me ask another question - does anyone have their HYSA hooked up to YNAB?

i have all my accounts hooked up to ynab, including savings

also i keep my next 3mos spending in an HYSA and xfer in what I need for a month (if necessary) at the start of a month, if your HYSA is at the same bank as your checking account it's instant which is how mine is set up

i think it's worthwhile to do the 3mos out budget because it basically frees you from being paycheck to paycheck in a way that is more grounded then just having generic savings

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Checking and credit are Bank of America and HYSA is Ally, so transfer isn’t instant or unlimited.

Hooked up Ally anyway - at least it’s all in one place now!

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

If anyone is interested in trying Monarch Money, they have a 30 day free trial going right now because of the mint announcement.

I think I’m going to give it a shot for the 30 days. I’ve been getting more and more annoyed with Mint and ads anyway, and apparently Monarch has no ads and don’t sell your financial data to 3rd parties.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I want to run a docker instance of Actual now that it's open source and free but I currently don't have any way of importing all my data from Financier and I don't really want to start over and lose 10 years of budgeting.

Financier lets you export everything as csv files, and you should be able to import the transactions into Actual with that. I don't think you can import the budget, but I'm not really sure if importing past budgets would even be all that useful?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

Financier lets you export everything as csv files, and you should be able to import the transactions into Actual with that. I don't think you can import the budget, but I'm not really sure if importing past budgets would even be all that useful?

problem is currently you can't include categories in a csv import and I'd rather not recategorize like 7000 entries in my register

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

problem is currently you can't include categories in a csv import and I'd rather not recategorize like 7000 entries in my register
Soon(tm)

https://github.com/actualbudget/actual/pull/1801

(Need to add matching categories by hand before import first, it seems.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 5, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh man this looks interesting but my stuff is in Buckets right now and I don't think I can port it over :(

e: ok, all the ways in which this is better, including finally working bank sync, are worth starting over.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 11, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Actual's custom reports are here and can be enabled in the experimental settings. The category reports, on the other hand, crash the app entirely.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IIRC the responsible dev knows and is fixing it. Saving isn’t implemented yet, anyway, so YMMV until next month.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Alright, digging into ynab for the first time and trying to get things categorized and set up. I set up our credit cards as checking accounts, but I'm not quite sure what I should be doing here. When I transfer money from checking to the credit card "checking account" to pay the monthly bill, how should I categorize these two transactions?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I think if you setup the payee so that it's the actual account within YNAB it'll automatically be categorized as a transfer.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah, you're looking for something like "Transfer: Credit card" in the payee field. If it's a transfer then it doesn't need a category.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thank you!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Hmm that option isn't coming up since these credit cards are set up as checking accounts. Is it possible I need to categorize the inflow as a transfer from my actual checking account and then delete the outflow transaction?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My credit cards are set up the same way so I don't think that's it. When it's a transfer it appears in the other account automatically too. Maybe try making a new transaction and see what autocomplete offers when you type "Transfer" in the payee

Edit: make sure they're set up as "Budget" accounts and not "Tracking".

Sometimes when I make a new transaction in the app it uses my credit card as the default account selected for that transaction, so I can't transfer to that account from that account. Just switch the account or make it an inflow from your checking and YNAB will do the rest.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 11, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pipistrelle posted:

If anyone is interested in trying Monarch Money, they have a 30 day free trial going right now because of the mint announcement.

I think I’m going to give it a shot for the 30 days. I’ve been getting more and more annoyed with Mint and ads anyway, and apparently Monarch has no ads and don’t sell your financial data to 3rd parties.

How are you liking it?

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

How are you liking it?

I like it more than I liked mint, so far. They feel very similar in a lot of ways, but monarch gives more control than mint did, which I appreciate. I ended continuing after the free 30 days with the subscription for a year because it does all the things I care about. It’s not life changing, but it works for what I want. If you have any specific questions about how it works, I’m happy to go into more detail.

Edit: Looks like they’re doing a deal if you’re coming over from mint: https://www.monarchmoney.com/compare/mint-alternative?c=MINT50

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Monarch lets me link my current 401k and HSA but it doesn’t auto populate holdings.

Fidelity’s Full View thing lets me connect my 401k and HSA and shows me my actual investments. But it doesn’t work with my daily checking account.

I heard Simplifi was another good alternative.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pipistrelle posted:

I like it more than I liked mint, so far. They feel very similar in a lot of ways, but monarch gives more control than mint did, which I appreciate. I ended continuing after the free 30 days with the subscription for a year because it does all the things I care about. It’s not life changing, but it works for what I want. If you have any specific questions about how it works, I’m happy to go into more detail.

Edit: Looks like they’re doing a deal if you’re coming over from mint: https://www.monarchmoney.com/compare/mint-alternative?c=MINT50

I also signed up for Monarch Money and ended up paying for it after the free trial. It requires some tuning in regards to what it considers "recurring" (as it ended up auto-populating a lot of stuff that I do buy a lot but isn't actually a recurring subscription/service). Also, my car loan is through Mazda Financial Services and there's no way to connect that so I'm having to do it manually. But doing that did help give me some extra insight that has helped me better understand how their system works. Oh yeah, and for some reason my 401k, RSUs, and student loans all ended up appearing twice in my net worth balance. I had to hide the duplicate listings to make sure the number I was seeing was correct.

So yeah, I'd rate the service a 6/10 out of the gate, but it goes to an 8/10 if you are willing to put in the time to tune it.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

for some reason my 401k, RSUs, and student loans all ended up appearing twice in my net worth balance. I had to hide the duplicate listings to make sure the number I was seeing was correct.

Weird, I did not have this issue with any of my 401(k) accounts

LanceHunter posted:

So yeah, I'd rate the service a 6/10 out of the gate, but it goes to an 8/10 if you are willing to put in the time to tune it.

Yeah this pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Does most of the things I want while not being perfect.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can someone explain how the Credit Card Pyayments category works? YNAB says there’s apparently a bunch of money set aside for my CC, but it’s way more than the current balance. Not sure if this means I need to move unassigned money or not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you pay off your balance every month, just set your credit card account up as a checking account. Save yourself the headache of how YNAB handles credit cards.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If you get a refund or cashback or any positive inflow into a CC, it'll throw the "available for card" amount out of whack.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you pay off your balance every month, just set your credit card account up as a checking account. Save yourself the headache of how YNAB handles credit cards.

It’s linked to my CC in BofA so I dunno how it sets that all up. Is there a way to convert the account, or should I just unlink and relink/try again?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It’s linked to my CC in BofA so I dunno how it sets that all up. Is there a way to convert the account, or should I just unlink and relink/try again?

Unlink your CC account.
Create a new checking account.
Go into your CC account and check all the transactions. Right-click > move to new checking account.
Link new checking account to your actual bank.
Delete/archive old CC account.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So all this talk has made me check out "Actual", any reason it's not a good YNAB4 replacement yet? I don't really need the reporting these days (Tho I have always liked it), so if that's the only thing stopping anyone from switching, I think I might make this a project soon.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

SEKCobra posted:

So all this talk has made me check out "Actual", any reason it's not a good YNAB4 replacement yet? I don't really need the reporting these days (Tho I have always liked it), so if that's the only thing stopping anyone from switching, I think I might make this a project soon.

Just for the gently caress of it, I attempted to set up Actual via localhost. I followed the install docs to set up with Docker and also ran openssl to enable https. Also imported a current YNAB4 file and it looks pretty good.

I'll still stick to YNAB4 for now, but I'm really trying to wean off of Dropbox and it's good to at least have an alternate in place with Actual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's active work to improve the mobile web interface, and there's custom reports, too, which can replicate just about anything YNAB4/nYNAB do. Altho saving their layouts is only coming with the next release end of the month.